Veg HeadTofu MatrixBoy

Default Isaac B Singer

A memory by Douglas Messerli

When I lived in New york, I often visited my former teacher, Isaac Bashevis
Singer, either in his westside apartment or, since Singer - opposed to the
killing of animals- was a vegetarian, in a nearby dairy bar.
Isaac Singer loved unusual stories, particularly those of the
supernatural or that involved strange phenomena. So I often came armed with
such stories. One time I asked had he read about the recent experiments
scientists had been conducting on plants. "They hook them up to lie
detectors," I reported, "and they've discovered that the plkants react when
spoken to, particularly when they're threatened. A scientist produces a
large knife and the plant goes wild - according to the reading on the lie
detector. Even if the scientist just says, "I'm going to kill the plant," it
evidently has a horrible reaction. One scientist reported that he was going
to cut another plant, and the tree, hooked up to the apparatus, went crazy."
Singer thought about this silently for a long while, then drew a deep
breath, and in his strong Yiddish accent pronounced: "I don't believe a
potato can think!" He was silent a few more seconds. "Besides...if it
could...what would I eat?"

Well maybe this little story doesn't really make my point for me after all.
Could it be we vegetarians are all latent hypocrites?

Veg HeadTofu MatrixBoy

Graeme... in London

"Veg HeadTofu MatrixBoy" > wrote in message
> A memory by Douglas Messerli
>
> When I lived in New york, I often visited my former teacher, Isaac

Bashevis
> Singer, either in his westside apartment or, since Singer - opposed to

the
> killing of animals- was a vegetarian, in a nearby dairy bar.
> Isaac Singer loved unusual stories, particularly those of the
> supernatural or that involved strange phenomena. So I often came armed

with
> such stories. One time I asked had he read about the recent experiments
> scientists had been conducting on plants. "They hook them up to lie
> detectors," I reported, "and they've discovered that the plkants react

when
> spoken to, particularly when they're threatened. A scientist produces a
> large knife and the plant goes wild - according to the reading on the lie
> detector. Even if the scientist just says, "I'm going to kill the plant,"

it
> evidently has a horrible reaction. One scientist reported that he was

going
> to cut another plant, and the tree, hooked up to the apparatus, went

crazy."
> Singer thought about this silently for a long while, then drew a deep
> breath, and in his strong Yiddish accent pronounced: "I don't believe a
> potato can think!" He was silent a few more seconds. "Besides...if it
> could...what would I eat?"
>

> Well maybe this little story doesn't really make my point for me after

all.
> Could it be we vegetarians are all latent hypocrites?
>
> Veg HeadTofu MatrixBoy
>
> Why Don't you **** off and die of Lentil poisoning you undernourished

*******!
Go kill some innocent Pallestllian

Nathan Lau

Graeme... in London wrote:

> "Veg HeadTofu MatrixBoy" > wrote in message
>>Why Don't you **** off and die of Lentil poisoning you undernourished

> *******!
> Go kill some innocent Pallestllian

Whoops, a mite touchy there. I think someone was trying to mock the
sock (puppet). Fos?

ObBBQ:

how many out there smoke, then foil their ribs on the cooker? Reasons?
Any difference in the end product?

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Monroe, of course...

Default Nate on foil & ribs (was tofucrap)

In article > , Nathan
Lau > wrote:

> ObBBQ:
>
> how many out there smoke, then foil their ribs on the cooker? Reasons?
> Any difference in the end product?

I usually dry rub my ribs, and don't sauce glaze them, so they end up
with a bark on them that would be ruined by the steaming if they were
foil wrapped. Also the foil won't let the rendering fat out-said
rendering occurs close to the time the ribs are nearly done. Some folks
might like steamed ribs floating in fat but I don't.
I vote foil for the smoking wood chunks-not the meat.

monroe(curses foil again)
BOB

Nathan Lau typed:
> Graeme... in London wrote:
>
>> "Veg HeadTofu MatrixBoy" > wrote in message
>>> Why Don't you **** off and die of Lentil poisoning you undernourished

>> *******!
>> Go kill some innocent Pallestllian

> Whoops, a mite touchy there. I think someone was trying to mock the
> sock (puppet). Fos?

That would be my guess also. (especially the "Fos" part)

> ObBBQ:
>
> how many out there smoke, then foil their ribs on the cooker? Reasons?
> Any difference in the end product?

I cook my ribs with a rub, no sauce. Direct heat. Makes a nice crust that would
be ruined by the foiling.
I just make sure they don't cool off too much before I eat them, but refrigerated
and eaten cold the next day for breakfast is great also.

BOB

Steve Wertz

>In article > , Nathan
>Lau > wrote:
>
>> ObBBQ:
>>
>> how many out there smoke, then foil their ribs on the cooker? Reasons?
>> Any difference in the end product?

Everyone on FoodTV does, but I don't like the texture of steamed meat
and fat.

-sw
Nathan Lau

BOB wrote:

> Nathan Lau typed:

<snip>

>>Whoops, a mite touchy there. I think someone was trying to mock the
>>sock (puppet). Fos?

> That would be my guess also. (especially the "Fos" part)

Sorry, I'm using the wrong term. Sock puppets respond to the other
personas. TofuGuy and all the other "nom de Usenet" are tentacles:

http://developer.syndetic.org/query_...?term=tentacle

In any case, quickly killfiling instead of responding to the troll will
help raise the SNR here.

The OP is definitely Fos, as the NNTP posting host numbers are identical.

>>ObBBQ:
>>
>>how many out there smoke, then foil their ribs on the cooker? Reasons?
>> Any difference in the end product?

> I cook my ribs with a rub, no sauce. Direct heat. Makes a nice crust that would
> be ruined by the foiling.
> I just make sure they don't cool off too much before I eat them, but refrigerated
> and eaten cold the next day for breakfast is great also.

Which leads me to a different question: who out there applies a
finishing sauce to their meat before pulling?

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

milesh

Nathan Lau wrote:
> Sorry, I'm using the wrong term. Sock puppets respond to the other
> personas. TofuGuy and all the other "nom de Usenet" are tentacles:
>
> http://developer.syndetic.org/query_...?term=tentacle

Now we have usenet terminology for name calling for those so mindless
they need to use them. Good grief.

F.G. Whitfurrows

"Nathan Lau" > wrote

> > The OP is definitely Fos, as the NNTP posting host numbers are

identical.

Damn! You guys can take the fun outta most anything, can't ya? OK, I admit
it was me...but the humor was apparently that of GWiv as it appears to have
fallen flat on its face. Oh well, can't win 'em all. You guys coulda waited
a minute or two before narc-ing me out on this one though, maybe allowed me
just a touch of fun.

The story was a true one, posted without copyright permission of any sort,
so I will now mention the book
so as to hopefully mollify any who may be unreasonably ****ed off over the
brazen infringement.

The Sun & Moon Guide To
Eating Through Literature and Art
Edited by Douglas Messerli

Its a collection of food related essays and recipes by artists and writers.
Some really wierd shit in that there tome.

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Barry

I've read all of Singer's books (translated to English), incusive of his
autobiography. Also, my step mother used to drive him home from UM to his
Surfside home. I can't remember him writting anything about not eating meat.
Maybe only to keep kosher or when money was low.
"Veg HeadTofu MatrixBoy" > wrote in message
> A memory by Douglas Messerli
>
> When I lived in New york, I often visited my former teacher, Isaac

Bashevis
> Singer, either in his westside apartment or, since Singer - opposed to

the
> killing of animals- was a vegetarian, in a nearby dairy bar.
> Isaac Singer loved unusual stories, particularly those of the
> supernatural or that involved strange phenomena. So I often came armed

with
> such stories. One time I asked had he read about the recent experiments
> scientists had been conducting on plants. "They hook them up to lie
> detectors," I reported, "and they've discovered that the plkants react

when
> spoken to, particularly when they're threatened. A scientist produces a
> large knife and the plant goes wild - according to the reading on the lie
> detector. Even if the scientist just says, "I'm going to kill the plant,"

it
> evidently has a horrible reaction. One scientist reported that he was

going
> to cut another plant, and the tree, hooked up to the apparatus, went

crazy."
> Singer thought about this silently for a long while, then drew a deep
> breath, and in his strong Yiddish accent pronounced: "I don't believe a
> potato can think!" He was silent a few more seconds. "Besides...if it
> could...what would I eat?"
>

> Well maybe this little story doesn't really make my point for me after

all.
> Could it be we vegetarians are all latent hypocrites?
>
> Veg HeadTofu MatrixBoy

Dot Matrix

For the record Veg/Tofu hijacked my username. Look at the difference
in email addresses.

If you see my username accompanied by a troll post, its not me, its
Veg or Tofu.

If you see a post from me asking questions about Q or posting a
comment such as 'If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make
them out of meat?', then its me.

I wish this board was moderated better so these trolls would be
banned and their posts deleted.
Nathan Lau

F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:

> Damn! You guys can take the fun outta most anything, can't ya? OK, I admit
> it was me...but the humor was apparently that of GWiv as it appears to have
> fallen flat on its face. Oh well, can't win 'em all. You guys coulda waited
> a minute or two before narc-ing me out on this one though, maybe allowed me
> just a touch of fun.

Sorry, I thought it was an exquisite troll, but it worked a little too
well. *applause*
--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

BOB

Nathan Lau typed:
> F.G. Whitfurrows wrote:
>
>> Damn! You guys can take the fun outta most anything, can't ya? OK, I admit
>> it was me...but the humor was apparently that of GWiv as it appears to have
>> fallen flat on its face. Oh well, can't win 'em all. You guys coulda waited
>> a minute or two before narc-ing me out on this one though, maybe allowed me
>> just a touch of fun.

> Sorry, I thought it was an exquisite troll, but it worked a little too
> well. *applause*

Me Too!
LOL

BOB

> --
> Aloha,
>
> Nathan Lau
> San Jose, CA
>
> #include <std.disclaimer>

!

Brick

"Nathan Lau" > wrote in message
. com...

<snip>

> how many out there smoke, then foil their ribs on the cooker?

Reasons?
> Any difference in the end product?
>
> --
> Aloha,
>
> Nathan Lau

I did a few days ago for the first and last time. Smoke and Spice said
that was the way to go, so what do I know? If you want to eat sloppy,
steamed ribs covered with a layer of grease, go for it.

Brick (Be careful what you read. Compare with what you know)

Nathan Lau

Brick wrote:

> "Nathan Lau" > wrote in message
> . com...
>
>>how many out there smoke, then foil their ribs on the cooker?

> Reasons? Any difference in the end product?
>
> I did a few days ago for the first and last time. Smoke and Spice said
> that was the way to go, so what do I know? If you want to eat sloppy,
> steamed ribs covered with a layer of grease, go for it.

Found this article about a Paul Kirk Pitmasters Class on the CBBQA website:

http://www.cbbqa.com/events/2002/20020209/

Quoting:

"At this point, Chef Paul made it a point to mention that we should only
open the pit when we actually have to do something...change the position
of the meat, add more meat, etc. Each time we open the pit, the cooking
process is lengthened.Chef Paul does not work with thermometers...his
method is to insert a probe into the meat...when it goes in without
resistance and comes out easily, the meat is done. When done, the meat
is to be wrapped in plastic film...NOT foil...for foil only adds
moisture to the meat and actually steams the product, dilluting the
flavor that has already been achieved."

And then a FAQ answer from Danny Gaulden on this page:

http://www.cbbqa.com/faq/12.html

Quoting:

"Even though the smoke flavoring gases and liquids may not penetrate the
meat nearly as deep after a few hours of smoking, I feel they still
continue to be adsorbed on the outer surface of the meat. The smoke
flavor can become quite strong and bitter if the fire is not managed
correctly, or it can be a positive addition to the flavor if the fire is
well-managed. Smoking beyond the 2-6 hour period definitely adds more
'smoke flavor' to the meat, and there is a great distinction in flavor
between 'smoked until done' meats, and meats that were smoked for a few
hours, then finished off with just heat, by being wrapped in foil and
left in the smoker or put into an oven."

Finally, here's a quote from Jim Minion on the Virtual Weber Bullet forum:

http://tvwbb.101inc.com/ultimatebb.c...=000207#000000

Quoting:

"The problem I find with foil on brisket is it can go to pot roast
texture very easily. Foil will work once you get the technique down.

I personely don't find that ribs are somehow drier because I don't use
foil. We will cooked 6 racks and will foil 3 racks and cook 3 racks
using our normal method, the non-foiled rack score better for us than
the foiled racks. As long as ours ribs score 177 or higher I guess I
will continue to leave the foil off of them until they come off the cooker."

Seems like the general opinion leans away from foiling during the
cooking process. Is the technique of foiling during cooking different
from foiling and adding flavored juices/honey/sauces at the end of the
cook, in terms of final texture of the meat?

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

The Fat Man®

Nathan Lau wrote:

> Found this article about a Paul Kirk Pitmasters Class on the CBBQA
> website:
>
> http://www.cbbqa.com/events/2002/20020209/
>
> Quoting:
>
> "At this point, Chef Paul made it a point to mention that we should
> only open the pit when we actually have to do something...change the
> position
> of the meat, add more meat, etc. Each time we open the pit, the
> cooking process is lengthened.Chef Paul does not work with
> thermometers...his method is to insert a probe into the meat...when
> it goes in without resistance and comes out easily, the meat is done.
> When done, the meat
> is to be wrapped in plastic film...NOT foil...for foil only adds
> moisture to the meat and actually steams the product, dilluting the
> flavor that has already been achieved."

Paul Kirk's an ass-munch.

Wrapping it an *anything* will steam it.

Only thing I've ever seen the fat **** do well is drink beer and talk shit.

TMF®

Jim

> "The Fat Man®" wrote:

>Nathan Lau wrote:

<snip>

>> When done, the meat
>> is to be wrapped in plastic film...NOT foil...for foil only adds
>> moisture to the meat and actually steams the product, dilluting the
>> flavor that has already been achieved."

>Paul Kirk's an ass-munch.
>
>Wrapping it an *anything* will steam it.

Yeah, I fail to see a real difference between wrapping in foil or plastic.
You'd still be sealing up the meat and steaming it.

>Only thing I've ever seen the fat **** do well is drink beer and talk shit.

Not necessarily bad traits BTW, I'm accomplished in both.
But I tend to engage in such activities while I have meat over a bed of coals.
And while I'm no expert or "chef", I've never wrapped meat in anything to
finish.
I figure that people were barbecuing for centuries w/o foil or plastic-it
worked for them, and it works for me.
Eeeesh.
Jim