Graeme... in London

Default Food Safety...Another brining question!

I recently brined some chickens overnight in a standard salt water brine.
The next day as the chickens were smoking I decided to smoke some fresh
fish. Due to the shortage of daylight hours, I gambled and threw the fish
into the same brine mixture that I had soaked the chickens.
Now I know that raw meat and raw fish don't mix, but I have had no ill
effects from the fish and I wondered if this is standard practice?
Its a damn sight easier than making separate brines!

Graeme

frohe

Graeme... in London wrote:
> I recently brined some chickens overnight in a standard salt water
> brine. The next day as the chickens were smoking I decided to smoke
> some fresh fish. Due to the shortage of daylight hours, I gambled and
> threw the fish into the same brine mixture that I had soaked the
> chickens. Now I know that raw meat and raw fish don't mix, but I have
> had no ill effects from the fish and I wondered if this is standard
> practice? Its a damn sight easier than making separate brines!

Well, since ya cooked the fish, there shouldn't be no harm other than maybe
tastin some chicken in ya fish. I woulda made a seperate brine myself but
then maybe that's just me.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

BOB

Graeme... in London typed:
> I recently brined some chickens overnight in a standard salt water brine.
> The next day as the chickens were smoking I decided to smoke some fresh
> fish. Due to the shortage of daylight hours, I gambled and threw the fish
> into the same brine mixture that I had soaked the chickens.
> Now I know that raw meat and raw fish don't mix, but I have had no ill
> effects from the fish and I wondered if this is standard practice?
> Its a damn sight easier than making separate brines!
>
> Graeme

If you kept the brine cold (refrigerated) I don't see a real problem. If it
warmed after brining the chickens, you are probably were lucky.

Personally, I'd make 2 brines, but you said you ran out of time. Just keep the
temperature (especially with poultry) out of the "danger zone".

BOB

Mark Preston

Fish first every time, G.

But, if the brine get "ropey", bleach the contianer and trash (Am. Eng.) the brine.
aaron

Graeme... in London wrote:

> I recently brined some chickens overnight in a standard salt water brine.
> The next day as the chickens were smoking I decided to smoke some fresh
> fish. Due to the shortage of daylight hours, I gambled and threw the fish
> into the same brine mixture that I had soaked the chickens.
> Now I know that raw meat and raw fish don't mix, but I have had no ill
> effects from the fish and I wondered if this is standard practice?
> Its a damn sight easier than making separate brines!
>
> Graeme

serious no-no in the restaurant business. called cross contamination.
all the chicken germs potentially jumped to the fish.

--
(signature here)

Edwin Pawlowski

"Graeme... in London" > wrote in message
> I recently brined some chickens overnight in a standard salt water brine.
> The next day as the chickens were smoking I decided to smoke some fresh
> fish. Due to the shortage of daylight hours, I gambled and threw the fish
> into the same brine mixture that I had soaked the chickens.
> Now I know that raw meat and raw fish don't mix, but I have had no ill
> effects from the fish and I wondered if this is standard practice?
> Its a damn sight easier than making separate brines!
>
> Graeme

If the chicken did have salmonella, the fish would also have it. You'd
never find it being done in a commercial establishment as the possibility of
cross contamination is so great. There are even rules about mixed species
in the meat grinder.

While you have not had any problem, it is NOT standard practice.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> []
>
> If the chicken did have salmonella, the fish would also have it.[]

Blimey, Graeme, you surely don't wanna give yer salmon salmonella!

Make one brine and put it in 2 containers, one fer fishies, one fer chicks.
There ya go. That's a good lad.

Hey, I picked up a couple o' jugs o' that Bowmore 17 year for Christmas
gifts. Gotta see about gettin' a Whyte & Mackay and a couple o'
BruichLaddich's, too.

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
Brick

"Graeme... in London" > wrote in
message ...
> I recently brined some chickens overnight in a standard salt water

brine.
> The next day as the chickens were smoking I decided to smoke some

fresh
> fish. Due to the shortage of daylight hours, I gambled and threw the

fish
> into the same brine mixture that I had soaked the chickens.
> Now I know that raw meat and raw fish don't mix, but I have had no

ill
> effects from the fish and I wondered if this is standard practice?
> Its a damn sight easier than making separate brines!
>
> Graeme

Scare me. I brine most of my stuff in gallon ziplocks. And they only
take about a pint or so of brine. I make up a gallon of TFM or the
Hound's brine and keep it in a fridge. Can't keep smoked chicken
on hand. Have a couple in brine most every week.

Brick (Brining yardbirds as I write )