Edwin Pawlowski

Default What is? (pork question)

"Eddie" > wrote in message
> Hey guys. The local Save-Mart stores have a sale on pork. It's
> Farmer John's brand and it says on the cry-o-vac "Bone-in Pork
> Shoulder Picnic." On the price tag it says "Pork Shoulder Arm Picnic
> Whole."
> The price is .69 cents a lb. I normally buy my pork shoulder butts
> from Costco, and they are a heck of a lot more that .69/lb.
> But just what are these? I bought three packs thinking my K7 will
> smoke 'em as good as the ones from Costco.
> Eddie in San Jose

It is the other half of the shoulder. A shoulder has two parts, picnic and
butt. Sort of like you have an upper and a fore arm, replace your had with
a hoof. The picnic has more bone and a part of the skin. Use the skin for
cracklings or just heat it up at the end to crisp and chop it right in the
barbecue.

Around here, they run from ,89 to $1.29. If they are not injected, that is
a good price.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Reg

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Around here, they run from ,89 to $1.29. If they are not injected, that is
> a good price.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure all Farmer John pork is injected.

Steve Wertz

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 04:07:43 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> Around here, they run from ,89 to $1.29. If they are not injected, that is
>> a good price.

>Unfortunately I'm pretty sure all Farmer John pork is injected.

I went Albertsons today and they had the full line of Armour "Tender
and Juicy". Every single peice of pork in the store was injected.
So I take back what I said about never seeing this brined crap.

Another reason why I only go to Albertsons every other year.

-sw
Jim

> Reg wrote:

>Unfortunately I'm pretty sure all Farmer John pork is injected.

I've bought many Farmer John picnics and loins. None were injected.

Jim

I saw tham at Smart & Final today, too. Didn't buy any. Maybe tomorrow.

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended

Jack Schidt®

"Eddie" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 04:07:43 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>
> >Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> >> Around here, they run from ,89 to $1.29. If they are not injected,

that is
> >> a good price.

> >Unfortunately I'm pretty sure all Farmer John pork is injected.

> Well, I checked the meat, and there isn't anything that says it is
> injected. If it is injected, what is the ingredient?
>
> However, it does say "no artificial ingredients."
>
> Eddie

I've seen 'saline solution of %% added' or something like that. If you
don't see that on there, it's probably not been adultr...adultar.....messed
with.

Jack

Reg

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> I've seen 'saline solution of %% added' or something like that. If you
> don't see that on there, it's probably not been adultr...adultar.....messed
> with.

As I recall some say 'enhanced'.

Gee thanks.

Reg wrote:

> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > Around here, they run from ,89 to $1.29. If they are not injected, that is
> > a good price.

> Unfortunately I'm pretty sure all Farmer John pork is injected.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

I really doubt that FJ pork is injected, the Cloughtertys are one of the
few families that still run a major packing house. Hell they are about the only
one around these parts that still makes a pork & beef hot dog without
chicken(shit) in them. All the vac pac pork from FJ that I've seen says
natural and that precludes the use of any additives per USDA reg's.

Picnics have more connective tissue than butts, means they benefit
from long slow cooking. (Can you say BBQ) And that stuff breaking down helps
keep things moist. The smoky cracklings are just an added bonus.
Dave

Spud

> Unfortunately I'm pretty sure all Farmer John pork is injected.
>
> --

The last time our SaveMart had the blow out sale on them, I bought six of
them. None were injected, although I brined one myself and made ham. Were
good.

Just try to get the smallest ones. Some are old hogs and quite large.

Spud

Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 04:01:20 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Eddie" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Hey guys. The local Save-Mart stores have a sale on pork. It's
>> Farmer John's brand and it says on the cry-o-vac "Bone-in Pork
>> Shoulder Picnic." On the price tag it says "Pork Shoulder Arm Picnic
>> Whole."
>> The price is .69 cents a lb. I normally buy my pork shoulder butts
>> from Costco, and they are a heck of a lot more that .69/lb.
>> But just what are these? I bought three packs thinking my K7 will
>> smoke 'em as good as the ones from Costco.
>> Eddie in San Jose
>>

>It is the other half of the shoulder. A shoulder has two parts, picnic and
>butt. Sort of like you have an upper and a fore arm, replace your had with
>a hoof. The picnic has more bone and a part of the skin. Use the skin for
>cracklings or just heat it up at the end to crisp and chop it right in the
>barbecue.

What he said. Here's a link to a simple diagram showing retail cuts of
pork, along with some photos.

http://www.90meat.com/productspork.html

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
21Twelve

I got a bunch of them at Smart & Final a while ago. If I remember right,
they say 'minimally processed' on them. I don't think that they
brine/inject them.

David

Default User

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> It is the other half of the shoulder. A shoulder has two parts, picnic and
> butt. Sort of like you have an upper and a fore arm, replace your had with
> a hoof.

Not exactly. The picnic is the upper arm part. The butt is back from the
shoulder socket, the "blade" that gives the characterstic 7-bone is the
shoulder blade.

Brian Rodenborn
Nathan Lau

Eddie wrote:
> Hey guys. The local Save-Mart stores have a sale on pork. It's
> Farmer John's brand and it says on the cry-o-vac "Bone-in Pork
> Shoulder Picnic." On the price tag it says "Pork Shoulder Arm Picnic
> Whole."
> The price is .69 cents a lb. I normally buy my pork shoulder butts
> from Costco, and they are a heck of a lot more that .69/lb.
> But just what are these? I bought three packs thinking my K7 will
> smoke 'em as good as the ones from Costco.
> Eddie in San Jose

Hey Eddie,

The picnics are the leg end of the pork shoulder. They come with the
skin on, and a bone running through it. 69 cents is a great price.
I've not seen the Costco butts get lower than 89 cents. We just made
some oven kalua pig with a picnic to feed the friends who helped us move
this past Saturday. Came out great.

I used a picnic once to make pulled pork. I thought that the skin
prevented the rub from flavoring the meat. Why don't you throw one on
the K so I can sample some on Sunday? ;-P

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Bill Funk

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:58:20 -0700, "21Twelve"
> wrote:

>I got a bunch of them at Smart & Final a while ago. If I remember right,
>they say 'minimally processed' on them. I don't think that they
>brine/inject them.
>
>David

The ones I get from Smart & Final aren't injected, or added to with
water (salt or plain).
If they are, they must say so on the label.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Olde Hippee

arsenic, hemlock & anthrax are "natural ingredients too, but I don't want
em in my pork!!!!!!
nanzi