Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Pork Leg Question

Folks, I have a whole, boned and tied, pork leg. I plan on roasting half in
the oven and smoking the other half for pulled pork.

Does it matter what half I smoke? Trotter end or shoulder end?

Graeme

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:32:58 -0000, Graeme...in London wrote:
>
> > Folks, I have a whole, boned and tied, pork leg. I plan on roasting half

in
> > the oven and smoking the other half for pulled pork.
> >
> > Does it matter what half I smoke? Trotter end or shoulder end?

> Which half has the most fat on it? It would really depend on how
> I plan on using the oven-cooked half. I'd probably smoke and pull
> the shoulder and roast and slice the leg - unless the shoulder was
> overly-trimmed.
>
> -sw

Yep, I'd agree with Steve.

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Graeme...in London wrote:
> Folks, I have a whole, boned and tied, pork leg. I plan on roasting
> half in the oven and smoking the other half for pulled pork.
>
> Does it matter what half I smoke? Trotter end or shoulder end?

Howdy, Graeme. Making use of some of the hardwood debris from the big blow
in London, eh? I do hope cleanup is going well. Anyway, the shoulder end is
the toughest, contains a good amount of fat, and will be the portion you
want to 'Q. Now, what are your sides going to be.

Take care, my friend.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Graeme...in London" > wrote in message
> Folks, I have a whole, boned and tied, pork leg. I plan on roasting half
> in
> the oven and smoking the other half for pulled pork.
>
> Does it matter what half I smoke? Trotter end or shoulder end?
>
> Graeme

Since I like roast, sliced pork I would cook the shoulder end and smoke the
trotter eng. There is a wider variety of meat on the trotter end (light and
dark, more flavor) and a little more fat (at least here). Is the skin still
on?Smoke till195 internal.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

http://virtualweberbullet.com/porkbuttselect.html

> Bob

Thanks, Bob. I do have this site bookmarked and often refer to it, however,
the cut that I have is not a butt, it's a whole leg, without the bone. It's
a different cut on these shores. No butt or picnics here (no steroids,
either).

I'm cooking a shoulder alongside the leg to save on fuel and protect the
planet from excessive carbon emissions.

My tuppence worth to the Kyoto Agreement.

Graeme

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Graeme...in London wrote:
> > Folks, I have a whole, boned and tied, pork leg. I plan on roasting
> > half in the oven and smoking the other half for pulled pork.
> >
> > Does it matter what half I smoke? Trotter end or shoulder end?

> Howdy, Graeme. Making use of some of the hardwood debris from the big blow
> in London, eh? I do hope cleanup is going well. Anyway, the shoulder end

is
> the toughest, contains a good amount of fat, and will be the portion you
> want to 'Q.

That's not what Big Jim says <g>

>Now, what are your sides going to be.

Seriously....haggis wontons.

> Take care, my friend.

Right back at ya'

Graeme

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:32:58 -0000, "Graeme...in London"
> wrote:

>Folks, I have a whole, boned and tied, pork leg. I plan on roasting half in
>the oven and smoking the other half for pulled pork.
>
>Does it matter what half I smoke? Trotter end or shoulder end?
>
>Graeme

I'd go with the shoulder end for smoking/pulling, Graeme.
But I just wonder if that will pull or not, as it may be too lean. You
may end up on sliced.

Harry