Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Silly experiment this weekend

I cooked ribs on Saturday, the usual gig. Started with 6 racks of
baby-backs, trimmed-down to 7-ish bone racks for consistency.

Sunday, I had a bag of rib trimmings, 3-4 bone racks and such. So I
figured I'd have some fun, prepped them just like I would for smoking,
put them in the oven and followed the same basic time/temperature/
seasoning recipe I normally do, except I brushed the ribs with smoky/
sweet KC Masterpiece a little before they were done, thinking the
smoke in the sauce might help.

The result were tender, smokeless, colorless ribs that were dead
ringers for pretty much all the mediocre "barbecue ribs" I've had in
restaurants before I knew what was barbecue was. This experiment
wasn't without value - it's nice to be reminded of just how vastly
superior proper barbecue is.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:22:40 -0700 (PDT), Dana >
wrote:

>I cooked ribs on Saturday, the usual gig. Started with 6 racks of
>baby-backs, trimmed-down to 7-ish bone racks for consistency.
>
>Sunday, I had a bag of rib trimmings, 3-4 bone racks and such. So I
>figured I'd have some fun, prepped them just like I would for smoking,
>put them in the oven and followed the same basic time/temperature/
>seasoning recipe I normally do, except I brushed the ribs with smoky/
>sweet KC Masterpiece a little before they were done, thinking the
>smoke in the sauce might help.
>
>The result were tender, smokeless, colorless ribs that were dead
>ringers for pretty much all the mediocre "barbecue ribs" I've had in
>restaurants before I knew what was barbecue was. This experiment
>wasn't without value - it's nice to be reminded of just how vastly
>superior proper barbecue is.
>
>Dana

No kidding! My sister in law cooks them like that. Only she adds a
very IMPORTANT step. She boils them first.

My Grandfather used to do them like this:

Step 1: Rinse and then boil the ribs to remove excess fat.

Step 2: Place in cooking bag.

Step 3: Add 1-2 bottles of Open Pit BBQ Sauce.

Step 4: Close bag and place in a roasting pan in the oven.

Step 5: Cook at 350 degrees for 2 hours.

Step 6: Plate. Empty contents of cooking bag onto serving platter.

My mother, aunts, and uncle LOVED IT. They were all convinced that
because he was a cook in the Navy that he was THE expert.

I'm glad my mom got to taste real Q before she died last year. At
least we know that there has GOT to be real Q in heaven.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 14-Sep-2009, Dana > wrote:

> I cooked ribs on Saturday, the usual gig. Started with 6 racks of
> baby-backs, trimmed-down to 7-ish bone racks for consistency.
>
> Sunday, I had a bag of rib trimmings, 3-4 bone racks and such. So I
> figured I'd have some fun, prepped them just like I would for smoking,
> put them in the oven and followed the same basic time/temperature/
> seasoning recipe I normally do, except I brushed the ribs with smoky/
> sweet KC Masterpiece a little before they were done, thinking the
> smoke in the sauce might help.
>
> The result were tender, smokeless, colorless ribs that were dead
> ringers for pretty much all the mediocre "barbecue ribs" I've had in
> restaurants before I knew what was barbecue was. This experiment
> wasn't without value - it's nice to be reminded of just how vastly
> superior proper barbecue is.
>
> Dana

Nice to see you still lurking around here now and then Dana. For
those of you Johnny come latelys, Dana got me into the minion
method of fire building many years ago. I think he since gave up
on his offset smoker, but I'm a slow learner, so I continue to make
'Q' in/on the old NB Silver smoker.

--
Brick (Smokin' since May of '03)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:22:40 -0700 (PDT), Dana
> >
> wrote:
>
>>I cooked ribs on Saturday, the usual gig. Started with 6 racks
>>of
>>baby-backs, trimmed-down to 7-ish bone racks for consistency.
>>
>>Sunday, I had a bag of rib trimmings, 3-4 bone racks and such.
>>So I
>>figured I'd have some fun, prepped them just like I would for
>>smoking,
>>put them in the oven and followed the same basic
>>time/temperature/
>>seasoning recipe I normally do, except I brushed the ribs with
>>smoky/
>>sweet KC Masterpiece a little before they were done, thinking
>>the
>>smoke in the sauce might help.
>>
>>The result were tender, smokeless, colorless ribs that were dead
>>ringers for pretty much all the mediocre "barbecue ribs" I've
>>had in
>>restaurants before I knew what was barbecue was. This
>>experiment
>>wasn't without value - it's nice to be reminded of just how
>>vastly
>>superior proper barbecue is.
>>
>>Dana

> No kidding! My sister in law cooks them like that. Only she adds
> very IMPORTANT step. She boils them first.
>
> My Grandfather used to do them like this:
>
> Step 1: Rinse and then boil the ribs to remove excess fat.
>
> Step 2: Place in cooking bag.
>
> Step 3: Add 1-2 bottles of Open Pit BBQ Sauce.
>
> Step 4: Close bag and place in a roasting pan in the oven.
>
> Step 5: Cook at 350 degrees for 2 hours.
>
> Step 6: Plate. Empty contents of cooking bag onto serving
> platter.
>
> My mother, aunts, and uncle LOVED IT. They were all convinced
> that
> because he was a cook in the Navy that he was THE expert.
>
> I'm glad my mom got to taste real Q before she died last year.
> At
> least we know that there has GOT to be real Q in heaven.

There's a whole lot of folk who love ribs cooked in sauce, so I
have trouble saying that it's wrong. I prefer mine slow smoked
and dry, but then I suspect some folk might not like them that
way. Oh well, it's whatever makes a person happy.

--
Nonny

Government is the great fiction
through which everybody endeavors
to live at the expense of everybody else.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 14, 7:43*pm, "Brick" > wrote:
> On 14-Sep-2009, Dana > wrote:
>

> > I cooked ribs on Saturday, the usual gig. *Started with 6 racks of
> > baby-backs, trimmed-down to 7-ish bone racks for consistency.

> > Sunday, I had a bag of rib trimmings, 3-4 bone racks and such. *So I
> > figured I'd have some fun, prepped them just like I would for smoking,
> > put them in the oven and followed the same basic time/temperature/
> > seasoning recipe I normally do, except I brushed the ribs with smoky/
> > sweet KC Masterpiece a little before they were done, thinking the
> > smoke in the sauce might help.

> > The result were tender, smokeless, colorless ribs that were dead
> > ringers for pretty much all the mediocre "barbecue ribs" I've had in
> > restaurants before I knew what was barbecue was. *This experiment
> > wasn't without value - it's nice to be reminded of just how vastly
> > superior proper barbecue is.

> > Dana

> Nice to see you still lurking around here now and then Dana. For
> those of you Johnny come latelys, Dana got me into the minion
> method of fire building many years ago. I think he since gave up
> on his offset smoker, but I'm a slow learner, so I continue to make
> 'Q' in/on the old NB Silver smoker.

Yup, I'm mostly cooking Q in a WSM+DigiQ these days, but
I sure had a good time with the Silver Smoker and learned a
heck of a lot with it. I don't think you're a slow learner, not for
a minute :-)

Good to hear from you, Brick.

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonny wrote:

> There's a whole lot of folk who love ribs cooked in sauce, so I
> have trouble saying that it's wrong.

Yeah, they use ribs as a vehicle for sauce gobblin'. It's just cheaper all
around if you hand out tongue depressors coated in sauce. They won't know
the difference. Or really care :-)
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:

> cheaper all around if you hand out tongue depressors coated in sauce.

I think you just gave me my next quote for a "bad" review.

"The BBQ would have been better if they would have
just given me tongue depressors coated in sauce.

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

DougW wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> cheaper all around if you hand out tongue depressors coated in sauce.

> I think you just gave me my next quote for a "bad" review.
>
> "The BBQ would have been better if they would have
> just given me tongue depressors coated in sauce.

ROTFLOL!!!!! <wiping away the tears>

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:59:33 -0500, "DougW"
> wrote:

>Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> cheaper all around if you hand out tongue depressors coated in sauce.

>I think you just gave me my next quote for a "bad" review.
>
>"The BBQ would have been better if they would have
>just given me tongue depressors coated in sauce.

LMAO!

TN: non-weekend weekend, with Beaujolais, Bdx, and Cahors DaleW Wine 8 12-01-2009 06:01 PM
i think this is silly dug88 Barbecue 80 10-02-2005 04:27 PM
Silly Little Tip Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 88 31-03-2004 04:19 AM
Silly rib experiment modom General Cooking 3 10-03-2004 11:49 AM
Silly rib experiment modom General Cooking 2 08-03-2004 08:40 PM