Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Weber Smokey Mountain

Are these things any good?

JJ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 22:48:43 +0100, Jeremy wrote:

> Are these things any good?

Have you never read this group?

If you do a Google search just for the last 3 months, you'll find
all you need. It's not like it hasn't been discussed here
literally, a thousand times.

The Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal is what you want.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Jeremy" > wrote in message

> Are these things any good?

No. It sunk when I tried to use it for an anchor buoy because the holes in
the bottom did not seal very well.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Jeremy wrote:
> Are these things any good?

For hunting or self-defense?

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in newsJydnasahKxW_
:

> Jeremy wrote:
>> Are these things any good?

> For hunting or self-defense?

Shut the **** up, troll.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 03:39:20 +0000 (UTC), smokerjoker
> wrote:

>"Dave Bugg" > wrote in newsJydnasahKxW_
:

>> Jeremy wrote:
>>> Are these things any good?

>> For hunting or self-defense?

(snip)

In an admittedly quick assessment, I have to say that I doubt DAVE to
be the troll here.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

smokerjoker wrote:

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Jeremy" > wrote in message
> Are these things any good?
>
> JJ
>
>Check this out and decide for yourself...I just bought a used Weber Bullet
>and love it.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Just like any other aparatis...ya have to get used to how it operates but 16
hour plus smoking sessions apparently very common.

Cheers
DJ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 6, 2:42*am, "D&M JOHNSTON" > wrote:
> "Jeremy" > wrote in message

> > Are these things any good?

> > JJ

> >Check this out and decide for yourself...I just bought a used Weber Bullet
> >and love it.

> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/
>
> Just like any other aparatis...ya have to get used to how it operates but 16
> hour plus smoking sessions apparently very common.
>
> Cheers
> DJ

Very easy to regulate and hold temperatures.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Jeremy" > wrote in message
> Are these things any good?
>
> JJ

Yea, but a Big Green Egg is better.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 20:43:16 -0400, "Joed" > wrote:
>
>>Jeremy" > wrote in message
>>> Are these things any good?
>>>
>>> JJ
>>>

>>Yea, but a Big Green Egg is better.

> And WAY spendier. And WAY heavier. And a much bigger PITA if one
> needs to add fuel. That said--I'd like to have a BGE--but I'd like to
> have a WSM with it.

It is spendier but my egg is going on ten years old. I replaced the $10
gasket twice and had a cracked fire box replaced under warranty when it was
three years old. If it cracks again today it gets replaced again for free
again. Anything ceramic is guarantied for life. It also is much heavier. But
that is what makes NOT having to add more fuel during a 20+ hour cook
possible.

Once I put some pork butts on 11 pm on Friday night. They came off around 4
pm on Saturday and started cooking chicken parts. Then burgers. Started
drinking and forgot to close the egg down and woke up Sunday morning to a
320 degree dome and some fuel left.

I can sear a steak over 1100 degree coals or do a low and slow in the middle
of the winter during a snow storm. I bake bread and do pizza, all on one
egg. Food seems to retain more moisture cooking with ceramics

But it is a lot more money, so it might not be for everyone.

> --
> -denny-
>
> Some people are offence kleptomaniacs -- whenever they see
> an offence that isn't nailed down, they take it ;-)
> --David C. Pugh, in alt.callahans
>
> Know the signs!
> http://www.heartinfo.org/ms/guides/9/main.html

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

The WSM is great... I have had a 22" running for 32 hours at 210° F with
Heat Beads, using the Minion Method, without adding fuel.

Morten
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Morten Westh wrote:
> The WSM is great... I have had a 22" running for 32 hours at 210° F with
> Heat Beads, using the Minion Method, without adding fuel.
>
> Morten

Just curious Morten - Are you hawking a product on a usenet group?

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob Muncie skrev:
> Morten Westh wrote:
>> The WSM is great... I have had a 22" running for 32 hours at 210° F
>> with Heat Beads, using the Minion Method, without adding fuel.
>>
>> Morten

> Just curious Morten - Are you hawking a product on a usenet group?
>
> Bob

Nope, I'm not selling anything - just a very happy WSM user. BTW, I am
not sure, what you mean by "hawking"... English is not my primary language.
Some other guy wrote about his BGE running for a long time, I just
wanted to show, that it can be done on a WSM too.

Morten

Morten
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Morten Westh wrote:
> Bob Muncie skrev:
>> Morten Westh wrote:
>>> The WSM is great... I have had a 22" running for 32 hours at 210° F
>>> with Heat Beads, using the Minion Method, without adding fuel.
>>>
>>> Morten

>> Just curious Morten - Are you hawking a product on a usenet group?
>>
>> Bob

> Nope, I'm not selling anything - just a very happy WSM user. BTW, I am
> not sure, what you mean by "hawking"... English is not my primary language.
> Some other guy wrote about his BGE running for a long time, I just
> wanted to show, that it can be done on a WSM too.
>
> Morten
>
> Morten

Morten - You will note that I was not rude. I was referring to the
selling of (cheap advertising) of "heat beads". I had not actually heard
of them until you posted about them. And therefore looked them up via
google.

If English is not your first language, kudos to you, as I would never
have known had you not said it.

Regards,

Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Morten Westh wrote:

> The WSM is great... I have had a 22" running for 32 hours at 210° F with
> Heat Beads, using the Minion Method, without adding fuel.
>
> Morten

That's takes some excellent fire control skills on any equipment.
Hats off to you.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Morten Westh > wrote:
> Bob Muncie skrev:
> > Morten Westh wrote:
> >> The WSM is great... I have had a 22" running for 32 hours at 210° F
> >> with Heat Beads, using the Minion Method, without adding fuel.

> > Just curious Morten - Are you hawking a product on a usenet group?

> Nope, I'm not selling anything - just a very happy WSM user. BTW, I am
> not sure, what you mean by "hawking"... English is not my primary
> language. Some other guy wrote about his BGE running for a long time, I
> just wanted to show, that it can be done on a WSM too.

Hi Morten. Welcome to the group. You'll notice that there's a wide range of
personalities here, besides the wide range of experience and opinions. BM
continues to show his better side. "Hawking" means advertising or selling.
I have a New Braunsfel offset smoker. We also grill over its firebox. I
recommend the New Braunsfel for those who want an offset smoker, but I'm
not "hawking" it! ;-)))

What are Heat Beads? What kind of stuff do you cook? What part of "the
happiest place in the world" do you live in?

I hoist one in your general direction. Skaal!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Morten Westh > wrote:
>> Bob Muncie skrev:

>>> Just curious Morten - Are you hawking a product on a usenet group?

>> Nope, I'm not selling anything - just a very happy WSM user. BTW, I am
>> not sure, what you mean by "hawking"... English is not my primary
>> language. Some other guy wrote about his BGE running for a long time, I
>> just wanted to show, that it can be done on a WSM too.

> Hi Morten. Welcome to the group. You'll notice that there's a wide range of
> personalities here, besides the wide range of experience and opinions. BM
> continues to show his better side. "Hawking" means advertising or selling.
> I have a New Braunsfel offset smoker. We also grill over its firebox. I
> recommend the New Braunsfel for those who want an offset smoker, but I'm
> not "hawking" it! ;-)))
>
> What are Heat Beads? What kind of stuff do you cook? What part of "the
> happiest place in the world" do you live in?
>
> I hoist one in your general direction. Skaal!

Hey there Nick. and yes, I'll be the first to say you are right on the
whole personality thing. You will notice I also did not say anything
negative here about you. I would not.

You have been a nice guy for the longest...

No issues here. Nor do I have any with anyone just being a nice person.
Test me on that if you want.

I actually like nice people :-)

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> In ,
> Morten Westh > typed:
>> The WSM is great... I have had a 22" running for 32 hours at 210° F
>> with Heat Beads, using the Minion Method, without adding fuel.
>>
>> Morten

> Heat Beads?

My thought exactly ( hint hint here Doug).

I use lump, and I have a number of woods that add value. Apple,
mesquite, cherry, etc.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> In ,
> Morten Westh > typed:
>> The WSM is great... I have had a 22" running for 32 hours at 210° F
>> with Heat Beads, using the Minion Method, without adding fuel.
>>
>> Morten

> Heat Beads?

I suppose I should have also said Nick... I hit the send too quickly.

Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Hi All (-:

Just what I thought, "hawking" meant...(-: I have been following this
newsgroup for a couple of years, and have learned a lot!

Let me introduce myself: I live in Denmark, near Copenhagen, and I have
been cooking on the WSM for 2½ years. I use my grills 2-4 times a week
all year, most often my Weber Q300 or the Performer, my WSM's are mainly
used on weekends and holidays. I cook all kinds of food on the grill,
the smokers are mainly used for old-school american bbq.
I am a (proud) member of The Danish National BBQ Team, (see
http://www.bbqlandsholdet.dk/Default.aspx?ID=341 - sorry, the english
version is far from complete). The team was at the Memphis in
May-contest this year, and took a third place in "exotic" - the reciepe
included shanks of lamb, cooked on the WSM with Kingsford and birch-tree
from my garden. In Memphis we used a lot of Royal Oak, a few bags of
Kingsford and some Kingsford Competition for the longer cookings - I
really liked those a lot!

Heat Beads are an australian charcoal briquette, very much like
Kingsford - you can't buy Kingsford in Europe )-: They burn a little
longer than Kingsford, but not as hot, which makes makes them perfect
for low&slow. I rarely use lump charcoal, it is very hard to find good
quality lump in Denmark.

Morten
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Morten Westh wrote:
> Hi All (-:
>
> Just what I thought, "hawking" meant...(-: I have been following this
> newsgroup for a couple of years, and have learned a lot!
>
> Let me introduce myself: I live in Denmark, near Copenhagen, and I have
> been cooking on the WSM for 2½ years. I use my grills 2-4 times a week
> all year, most often my Weber Q300 or the Performer, my WSM's are mainly
> used on weekends and holidays. I cook all kinds of food on the grill,
> the smokers are mainly used for old-school american bbq.
> I am a (proud) member of The Danish National BBQ Team, (see
> http://www.bbqlandsholdet.dk/Default.aspx?ID=341 - sorry, the english
> version is far from complete). The team was at the Memphis in
> May-contest this year, and took a third place in "exotic" - the reciepe
> included shanks of lamb, cooked on the WSM with Kingsford and birch-tree
> from my garden. In Memphis we used a lot of Royal Oak, a few bags of
> Kingsford and some Kingsford Competition for the longer cookings - I
> really liked those a lot!
>
> Heat Beads are an australian charcoal briquette, very much like
> Kingsford - you can't buy Kingsford in Europe )-: They burn a little
> longer than Kingsford, but not as hot, which makes makes them perfect
> for low&slow. I rarely use lump charcoal, it is very hard to find good
> quality lump in Denmark.
>
> Morten

Thanks for sharing more information Morton... I'd share a beer with you
now :-)

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob Muncie wrote:
> Morten Westh wrote:
>> Hi All (-:
>>
>> Just what I thought, "hawking" meant...(-: I have been following this
>> newsgroup for a couple of years, and have learned a lot!
>>
>> Let me introduce myself: I live in Denmark, near Copenhagen, and I
>> have been cooking on the WSM for 2½ years. I use my grills 2-4 times a
>> week all year, most often my Weber Q300 or the Performer, my WSM's are
>> mainly used on weekends and holidays. I cook all kinds of food on the
>> grill, the smokers are mainly used for old-school american bbq.
>> I am a (proud) member of The Danish National BBQ Team, (see
>> http://www.bbqlandsholdet.dk/Default.aspx?ID=341 - sorry, the english
>> version is far from complete). The team was at the Memphis in
>> May-contest this year, and took a third place in "exotic" - the
>> reciepe included shanks of lamb, cooked on the WSM with Kingsford and
>> birch-tree from my garden. In Memphis we used a lot of Royal Oak, a
>> few bags of Kingsford and some Kingsford Competition for the longer
>> cookings - I really liked those a lot!
>>
>> Heat Beads are an australian charcoal briquette, very much like
>> Kingsford - you can't buy Kingsford in Europe )-: They burn a little
>> longer than Kingsford, but not as hot, which makes makes them perfect
>> for low&slow. I rarely use lump charcoal, it is very hard to find good
>> quality lump in Denmark.
>>
>> Morten

> Thanks for sharing more information Morton... I'd share a beer with you
> now :-)
>
> Bob

Damn... Even mispelled your name... my bad "Morten". I did mean the beer
thing though :-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Damn... Even mispelled your name... my bad "Morten". I did mean the beer
> thing though :-)

That's allright - if we ever meet IRL, we'll have a beer or two (-:

Morten
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 15, 1:03*pm, Morten Westh > wrote:

> Let me introduce myself: I live in Denmark, near Copenhagen, and I have
> been cooking on the WSM for 2½ years. I use my grills 2-4 times a week
> all year, most often my Weber Q300 or the Performer, my WSM's are mainly
> used on weekends and holidays. I cook all kinds of food on the grill,
> the smokers are mainly used for old-school american bbq.
> I am a (proud) member of The Danish National BBQ Team, (seehttp://www.bbqlandsholdet.dk/Default.aspx?ID=341- sorry, the english
> version is far from complete). The team was at the Memphis in
> May-contest this year, and took a third place in "exotic" - the reciepe
> included shanks of lamb, cooked on the WSM with Kingsford and birch-tree
> from my garden.

Firkin awesome. "The Danish National BBQ Team", I love it.

When I first was in Europe (Germany mainly) I had the normal prejudice
that US grilling and BBQ was simply the best. I learned fast enough
that camp and campfire cooking is an ancient tradition has developed
into an art. You boys got some damn good tricks up your sleeves. Of
course learning that sort of lesson is a lot easier to swallow when it
tastes so good and downed with some good beer or homemade hard apple
cider.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Morten Westh > wrote:
> Hi All (-:
>
> Just what I thought, "hawking" meant...(-: I have been following this
> newsgroup for a couple of years, and have learned a lot!
>
> Let me introduce myself: I live in Denmark, near Copenhagen, and I have
> been cooking on the WSM for 2½ years. I use my grills 2-4 times a week
> all year, most often my Weber Q300 or the Performer, my WSM's are mainly
> used on weekends and holidays. I cook all kinds of food on the grill,
> the smokers are mainly used for old-school american bbq.
> I am a (proud) member of The Danish National BBQ Team, (see
> http://www.bbqlandsholdet.dk/Default.aspx?ID=341 - sorry, the english
> version is far from complete). The team was at the Memphis in
> May-contest this year, and took a third place in "exotic" - the reciepe
> included shanks of lamb, cooked on the WSM with Kingsford and birch-tree
> from my garden. In Memphis we used a lot of Royal Oak, a few bags of
> Kingsford and some Kingsford Competition for the longer cookings - I
> really liked those a lot!
>
> Heat Beads are an australian charcoal briquette, very much like
> Kingsford - you can't buy Kingsford in Europe )-: They burn a little
> longer than Kingsford, but not as hot, which makes makes them perfect
> for low&slow. I rarely use lump charcoal, it is very hard to find good
> quality lump in Denmark.

Yep. Yer the real deal! You came to Memphis? KEWL! So is yer web site! Does
yer daughter stay healthy on the vegetarian diet?

I love lamb. Do you use a rub or what? I have an easy recipe for Danish
Roast (smoked) Duck, which I last made several years ago. The stuffing is
apples and prunes. I don't know how authentic it is, but it was good.

For hardwood lump charcoal, you should be able to order it from different
countries, especially in Club quantities. Have you checked out Danish
http://www.hardwood-charcoal.com/ Also you can make yor own. Good project
for the kids.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Morten Westh > wrote:
unattributed poster wrote:

> > Damn... Even mispelled your name... my bad "Morten". I did mean the
> > beer thing though :-)

> That's allright - if we ever meet IRL, we'll have a beer or two (-:

If you Danes drink like the Finns I've met, I'm in trouble!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Morten Westh > wrote:
> unattributed poster wrote:
>>> Damn... Even mispelled your name... my bad "Morten". I did mean the
>>> beer thing though :-)

>> That's allright - if we ever meet IRL, we'll have a beer or two (-:

> If you Danes drink like the Finns I've met, I'm in trouble!

Many an evening do I remember the quote of "ein alt bitter", over and
over again... and the coaster ended up looking like a railroad track.

Those were good times :-)

Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Morten Westh > wrote:
>> Hi All (-:
>>
>> Just what I thought, "hawking" meant...(-: I have been
>> following this
>> newsgroup for a couple of years, and have learned a lot!
>>
>> Let me introduce myself: I live in Denmark, near Copenhagen,
>> and I have
>> been cooking on the WSM for 2½ years. I use my grills 2-4 times
>> a week
>> all year, most often my Weber Q300 or the Performer, my WSM's
>> are mainly
>> used on weekends and holidays. I cook all kinds of food on the
>> grill,
>> the smokers are mainly used for old-school american bbq.
>> I am a (proud) member of The Danish National BBQ Team, (see
>> http://www.bbqlandsholdet.dk/Default.aspx?ID=341 - sorry, the
>> english
>> version is far from complete). The team was at the Memphis in
>> May-contest this year, and took a third place in "exotic" - the
>> reciepe
>> included shanks of lamb, cooked on the WSM with Kingsford and
>> birch-tree
>> from my garden. In Memphis we used a lot of Royal Oak, a few
>> bags of
>> Kingsford and some Kingsford Competition for the longer
>> cookings - I
>> really liked those a lot!
>>
>> Heat Beads are an australian charcoal briquette, very much like
>> Kingsford - you can't buy Kingsford in Europe )-: They burn a
>> little
>> longer than Kingsford, but not as hot, which makes makes them
>> perfect
>> for low&slow. I rarely use lump charcoal, it is very hard to
>> find good
>> quality lump in Denmark.

> Yep. Yer the real deal! You came to Memphis? KEWL! So is yer web
> site! Does
> yer daughter stay healthy on the vegetarian diet?
>
> I love lamb. Do you use a rub or what? I have an easy recipe for
> Danish
> Roast (smoked) Duck, which I last made several years ago. The
> stuffing is
> apples and prunes. I don't know how authentic it is, but it was
> good.
>
> For hardwood lump charcoal, you should be able to order it from
> different
> countries, especially in Club quantities. Have you checked out
> Danish
> http://www.hardwood-charcoal.com/ Also you can make yor own.
> Good project
> for the kids.

Morten, the best part is that you all look like you're having a
great time. Keep it up.

--
Nonny

Giving money and power to
liberals is like giving
whiskey and car keys
to teenage boys.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 22:42:56 -0400, Bob Muncie >
wrote:

>Nick Cramer wrote:
>> Morten Westh > wrote:
>>> That's allright - if we ever meet IRL, we'll have a beer or two (-:

>> If you Danes drink like the Finns I've met, I'm in trouble!
>>

>Many an evening do I remember the quote of "ein alt bitter", over and
>over again... and the coaster ended up looking like a railroad track.
>
>Those were good times :-)
>
>Bob

You remember them? Perhaps they weren't good enough, Bob!

Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Desideria wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 22:42:56 -0400, Bob Muncie >
> wrote:
>
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>>> Morten Westh > wrote:
>>> If you Danes drink like the Finns I've met, I'm in trouble!
>>>

>> Many an evening do I remember the quote of "ein alt bitter", over and
>> over again... and the coaster ended up looking like a railroad track.
>>
>> Those were good times :-)
>>
>> Bob
>>

> You remember them? Perhaps they weren't good enough, Bob!
>

> Desideria

Sweetie - I was always a nice drunk. The memories I have from back then
are likely colored by delusion, but I do think most were laughing with
me, not at me if you know what I mean. I also remember a number of sweet
people I interacted with so to speak, and have a vivid memory. And even
if it's colored by illusion,they are good memories.

Back on topic... I agree with most that have posted here. The Smokey
Mountain is hands down a better product then the ECB, but the pluses can
be overcome with engineering, and I happen to have a dual remote with a
temp gage for both the surface of the grill, and one for the meat. It
is a product all smokers should have.

I have the Maverick ET-73, and it was worth every penny. I don't have to
open lid to get a status, and once I make the mods on my new ECB, I will
only need to add lump once in a while.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Desideria > wrote:
> Bob Muncie > wrote:
> >Nick Cramer wrote:
> >> Morten Westh > wrote:
> >>
> >> If you Danes drink like the Finns I've met, I'm in trouble!

> >Many an evening do I remember the quote of "ein alt bitter", over and
> >over again... and the coaster ended up looking like a railroad track.
> >
> >Those were good times :-)

> You remember them? Perhaps they weren't good enough, Bob!

Those Finns were electronic broadcast engineers. These Danes are BBQers!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 16 Jul., 04:31, Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Yep. Yer the real deal! You came to Memphis? KEWL! So is yer web site! Does
> yer daughter stay healthy on the vegetarian diet?
>
> I love lamb. Do you use a rub or what? I have an easy recipe for Danish
> Roast (smoked) Duck, which I last made several years ago. The stuffing is
> apples and prunes. I don't know how authentic it is, but it was good.
>
> For hardwood lump charcoal, you should be able to order it from different
> countries, especially in Club quantities. Have you checked out Danishhttp://www.hardwood-charcoal.com/Also you can make yor own. Good project
> for the kids.

Yes, my daughter stays healthy - and so do my wife and I (-:
In our Memphis-reciepe, we used a rub containing a mix of black, white
and green pepper, garlic powder, cumin, sweet paprika, cinnamon, onion
powder and salt for the lamb. You can see the reciepe at
http://bbqlandsholdet.dk/Default.aspx?ID=394 (in danish..) I have
cooked leg of lamb several times, using a rub containing black pepper,
oregano, parsley, salt and lemon zest. Smoke with plum or cherry for
about 5 hours, and you're in for a treat.
The team is going to Memphis again next year, I'll hope to see some of
you there..

Morten

PS: No-one drinks like Finns (-;
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Weber Smokey Mountain Danish Ribs

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Desideria > wrote:
>> Bob Muncie > wrote:

>> >Many an evening do I remember the quote of "ein alt bitter",
>> >over and
>> >over again... and the coaster ended up looking like a railroad
>> >track.
>> >
>> >Those were good times :-)

>> You remember them? Perhaps they weren't good enough, Bob!

> Those Finns were electronic broadcast engineers. These Danes are
> BBQers!

We were at a Savon pharmacy, inside and Albertson's store today
getting the Shingles vaccine. While waiting, I walked to the meat
counter and saw a really nice stack of ribs. They were nicely
trimmed and the bones small. The sign said, "A PRODUCT OF
DENMARK."

--
Nonny

Giving money and power to