Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default HELP Please: Sand in WSM

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> Dave - I doubt anyone has been here very much any longer than I have.

> So, you've been posting to AFB for the last decade or so?
>
>> (Been doing internet since 83). I have just been recently posting as I
>> have the time now, that I have not have before.

> So, you HAVEN'T been posting on AFB for the last decade or so.
>
>> You are quite right to point out I allowed myself to interact with two
>> others and *be* part of the problem that I should have just ignored.
>> And/or stopped earlier.

> Fair enough. It is easy to get caught up in the moment. So did those with
> whom you were arguing.
>
>> I did not know until a few minutes ago that VeGA and Steve had taken
>> what I said in the last post as me referring to those "two others"
>> being about "them". I was not. Maybe that early in the morning time
>> is a bad time to try and make a point when you are irritated with
>> others.

> I've been known to be burdened with that same issue.
>
>> I mentioned plonk (and I did drop the two I mentioned into the filter)
>> as any one that wants to argue to no point, are wasting my times.

> Both of those you were arguing with are people I respect. But I have a
> certain loyalty to the friends I already have. I suspect that once I get to
> know you, I would feel the same about you after awhile. And yes, I have
> personally met many of the regulars here. It would probably be worth
> considering 'live and let live'. Folks here get hot and bothered sometimes,
> yours truly included, and then get on with life. No one needs to actively
> apologize or hold hands; things just tend to smooth-over with time. I won't
> presume to speak for the other actors in this play, but I can't imagine
> anyone holding a grudge for very long.
>
> Maybe killfiles could be purged and everyone start out on a clean slate?
>
>> You, VeGA, and Steve are not ones I'd argue with. Maybe disagree with,
>> but argue no.

> :-) Heck, then that will leave you out in the cold. Steve, Vega, and I have
> argued and will likely argue in the future. Heck, there have been arguments
> going on between regulars as a natural course from time to time.

Dave - You caught me on that one. I've been reading for years, and yes I
know you are a fellow that sometimes (like others) go a little
overboard. Did I post much in any of the groups I read? No. I would read
the groups between multiplexing at work, or on a few of the stuffy
conference calls I had to suffer through. But I didn't have the time and
stay for the time to be an active participant. Could I have after work?
No. I worked many crazy IT hours, and the time I wasn't doing work at
the office, or at home is the only time I didn't spend on-line. The
other time I had was spent doing years of soccer, football, and
wrestling (and coaching all of them). So my time was limited.

Recently had a couple of life changes that allow me to spend more time,
and that's why I'm coming out now. So I am familiar with a number of you
guys without you knowing me.

I know, probably more than you wanted to know, but it likely explains a
couple of questions you might have had.

Have a good night.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3-Jul-2009, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> Bob Muncie wrote:
>
> > Dave - I doubt anyone has been here very much any longer than I have.

> So, you've been posting to AFB for the last decade or so?
>
> > (Been doing internet since 83). I have just been recently posting as I
> > have the time now, that I have not have before.

> So, you HAVEN'T been posting on AFB for the last decade or so.
>
> > You are quite right to point out I allowed myself to interact with two
> > others and *be* part of the problem that I should have just ignored.
> > And/or stopped earlier.

> Fair enough. It is easy to get caught up in the moment. So did those with
>
> whom you were arguing.
>
> > I did not know until a few minutes ago that VeGA and Steve had taken
> > what I said in the last post as me referring to those "two others"
> > being about "them". I was not. Maybe that early in the morning time
> > is a bad time to try and make a point when you are irritated with
> > others.

> I've been known to be burdened with that same issue.
>
> > I mentioned plonk (and I did drop the two I mentioned into the filter)
> > as any one that wants to argue to no point, are wasting my times.

> Both of those you were arguing with are people I respect. But I have a
> certain loyalty to the friends I already have. I suspect that once I get
> know you, I would feel the same about you after awhile. And yes, I have
> personally met many of the regulars here. It would probably be worth
> considering 'live and let live'. Folks here get hot and bothered
> sometimes,
> yours truly included, and then get on with life. No one needs to actively
>
> apologize or hold hands; things just tend to smooth-over with time. I
> won't
> presume to speak for the other actors in this play, but I can't imagine
> anyone holding a grudge for very long.
>
> Maybe killfiles could be purged and everyone start out on a clean slate?
>
> > You, VeGA, and Steve are not ones I'd argue with. Maybe disagree with,
> > but argue no.

> :-) Heck, then that will leave you out in the cold. Steve, Vega, and I
> have
> argued and will likely argue in the future. Heck, there have been
> arguments
> going on between regulars as a natural course from time to time.
>
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

I expect that I have crossed poison pens with just about everybody at
one time or another, Dave Bugg included. I've only been on AFB/ABF
since 2003. But I've been on the internet since way before windows.
My original Compuserve ID was 73577, 605. That's right. There's a
comma in there not a period. I was using a Heathkit H-89 back then
with a mammoth 64K of memory and a pair of 720K floppy drives.
Hard drives were still off in Buck Rogers land.

I'm not proud of some of the invective I've posted in the past, but I
believe that I've mellowed some in recent years. My killfile is empty.
I find that I can simply scroll past the posts that I don't want to read.

I've personally met many of the folks that post here. Some of them
several times. Several of us recently attended the latest HTH (Hog
to Hand) at Milan, GA. It's almost amazing how many common
interests you discover when you converse face to face. What's
more, gatherings of the (BBQ) faithful attract many who do not
post regularly in the newsgroups, if at all.

--
Brick said that.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> [...]

> My original Compuserve ID was 73577, 605. That's right. There's a
> comma in there not a period. I was using a Heathkit H-89 back then
> with a mammoth 64K of memory and a pair of 720K floppy drives.
> Hard drives were still off in Buck Rogers land.
>
> I'm not proud of some of the invective I've posted in the past, but I
> believe that I've mellowed some in recent years. My killfile is empty.
> I find that I can simply scroll past the posts that I don't want to read.
>
> I've personally met many of the folks that post here. Some of them
> several times. Several of us recently attended the latest HTH (Hog
> to Hand) at Milan, GA. It's almost amazing how many common
> interests you discover when you converse face to face. What's
> more, gatherings of the (BBQ) faithful attract many who do not
> post regularly in the newsgroups, if at all.

Thanks Brick - I see you the same way I see Dave, sometimes volatile,
but you likewise have wisdom and common sense, and usually stay to the
smart side of reasoning a posting rather just blathering into argument.
So yes, I have been around awhile. Just NOT posting that much (the above
is likely due to placing the apostrophe in the wrong spot, and the auto
speller saying "he must have meant".

I can appreciate your history of having been there/done that. My first
personal PC was a PC1 from radio shack with 8KB of memory, and if you
splurged, you bought the 4 mini-pen printer to go with it.

My first Unix instructor was Evi Nemath(sp?) (one of the co-writers of
Berkly SunOS from where all other Unix's came from.

My first "large" system had a Philco Ford (yes a division of ford made
the computer) systems processor, and the drive space was a number of
10GB RL01 platter assemblies that looked like oversizes cake boxes and
since they had see through covers, and the platters were exactly that, a
hard disk crash usually looked like a crash as one to the platters
usually took a nose dive into the other platters (probably where the
word "crash" came from.

My next two systems were thea PDP 11/30 (precursor to the 11/34) and a
VAX 11/750 so yes, I've been around the block a time or two myself. My
first Inet access was through one of the alpha sites as only the the
schools and the government had access. No ISPs yet. Other than the water
having passed under the bridge, I haven't missed those days too much.

Thanks for reminding me of the past. I rarely go there anymore.

Regards,

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 2, 6:19*pm, Denny Wheeler >
wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:36:57 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

> But yes, water works fine--I used it for almost two years in my
> current pit, and for 2 or 3 years in the one I had 12-14 years ago
> (Brinkmann's Cook'n Cajum) and had good results. *I like the results
> with the sand a bit better, and the cleanup a LOT better.

My first attempts with BBQ were using a Mecco, it's another vert, and
I really didn't like the swampy flavor I got from the water pan. I've
never heard anyone else complain about that though.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> Dave, if you wish, would you ask him what the hell it was that set him
> off on claiming I know no science? That's what ****ed me off.
> Normally I'm not that much hair-trigger on getting nasty--which you
> know. *snort* Usually, in fact, you've been a bit touchier than I.

Yup. I have gone off half-cocked more than a few times. I don't recall much
that has gotten under your skin.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in
message ...
> On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:36:57 -0500, Sqwertz
> >
> wrote:
>
>>I've always managed to steer clear of the water vs. sand debate,
>>but
>>hear goes: Assuming you heat 1 square meter each of sand and
>>water
>>to 200F, the sand will cool off quicker than the water

> Ummm... it's very hard to pour a square meter of either, but
> your
> chances are better with sand. How 'bout maybe a cubic foot of
> each?
>
> Do you, by the way, have anything to back up your assertion
> that,
> given equal volumes and identical containers, water will hold
> heat
> better?
>
> But there is also this--heat equal amounts of each to 200F for
> an
> hour, you'll still have the same quantity of sand. Not so,
> water.
>
> But yes, water works fine--I used it for almost two years in my
> current pit, and for 2 or 3 years in the one I had 12-14 years
> ago
> (Brinkmann's Cook'n Cajum) and had good results. I like the
> results
> with the sand a bit better, and the cleanup a LOT better.

Use eutetic salt.

--
Nonny

.. . . on a darned diet
and ready to chew off
my own elbows.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
message ...
> In ster.com,
> Brick > typed:

>> We did in fact have the Dickey Goober conversation not too long
>> ago.

> Yeah, lived here all my life and never heard that nick for
> Richards-Gebaur
> until you shared it with me. I told my Dad who is something of a
> local media
> legend and city historian, 88 years old now, and he hadn't ever
> heard it
> either. He laughed his ass off! There's not that much he finds
> really funny,
> being blind, confined to a wheelchair, and suffering from fading
> memory, but
> that one got him going.
>
> MartyB in KC

Odd- growing up about 50 miles to the East, that was the default
name for the AFB. I'd love to visit there now, and see the B-2
fly overhead.

--
Nonny

.. . . on a darned diet
and ready to chew off
my own elbows.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

FWIW, my Bradley smoker has a water pan that sits below the puck
heater. When 20 minutes has passed, the next puck pushes the
smoldering one off the plate and into the pan. This is
deliberate, and according to the Bradley folk, is intended to keep
the puck from burning or emitting "off flavor" smoke. Naturally,
the pan loses water in the course of a long smoke, but lasts long
enough to extinguish the pucks I use, since I only smoke for
several hours, before letting the low and slow do the rest of the
work.

What's important is that while the pan adds humidity to the air in
the chamber, it isn't used for temperature stabilization or
spreading around the heat. In my case, when I'm doing a low and
slow for a long time, I can be pretty sure that the pan is dry
within the first 4 hours and I know that the pucks are all used
up. When that happens, I close down the damper to about 1/8 th
capacity to hopefully reduce moisture loss from the meat.
--
Nonny

.. . . on a darned diet
and ready to chew off
my own elbows.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Denny Wheeler wrote:
>
>> Dave, if you wish, would you ask him what the hell it was that set him
>> off on claiming I know no science? That's what ****ed me off.
>> Normally I'm not that much hair-trigger on getting nasty--which you
>> know. *snort* Usually, in fact, you've been a bit touchier than I.

> Yup. I have gone off half-cocked more than a few times. I don't recall much
> that has gotten under your skin.
>

>> I mean, I don't get the man. He makes this "learn some science"
>> statement, and when I ask him to justify it, decides that plonking is
>> the answer. If that's his operational style on Usenet, he best go
>> back to lurking, as I won't be the last one to ask for a cite or even
>> for 'what statement of mine are you talking about?'
>>
>> Note that I haven't KF'd the guy. (I still don't quite get his
>> response to my joke reply to the idjit/troll who posted the question
>> about using grass in a smoker)
>>
>> I don't particularly care whether I'm plonked by him or anyone
>> else--but I still want to know what set him off. Not what set him off
>> all the way to plonk city--I was just hostile enough to justify that,
>> if the plonker is a sensitive or newbie type.
>>
>> Oh, and maybe someone should point out that lurking for 20 years
>> doesn't make one a veteran of Usenet--can't be that, until you've had
>> people tear into your posts, and learned to deal with it.

Dave, Brick, and Denny - Thanks for reminding me to release my
irritation in positive directions.

Denny - I have purged my plonkage of the curmudgeons on AFB, and start
ed over. As mentioned, it's rather stupid to get to apologetic as mostly
everyone is prone to causing an argument, or helping it to continue. But
I draw the line at someone sending a PM that associates me to some
stupid prank as to be associated to something idiot. group. That's when
I actually added to plonk, and felt better for it. Was I at fault by
escalation? Yes. DO I want to do back and pick apart the word for word
your being angry notwithstanding? Nope. Again, water under the bridge. I
could even say I somewhat started this with the term "heat sink" instead
of a description of the capacitance factor that sand adds vs. water.

OTOH, I would was my hands again (pun intended this time), of the whole
matter. No harm no foul.

I hope all here have a nice week-end, and that's the story I'm sticking to.

Thanks for your two cents Dave & Brick, well at least after up the
confusion on the Vega & Steve thing. I'll forgive you give for the
before stuff :-)

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 18:19:34 -0700, Denny Wheeler wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:36:57 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>I've always managed to steer clear of the water vs. sand debate, but
>>hear goes: Assuming you heat 1 square meter each of sand and water
>>to 200F, the sand will cool off quicker than the water

> Ummm... it's very hard to pour a square meter of either, but your
> chances are better with sand.

No need to get anal. Unless you like it anal.

> Do you, by the way, have anything to back up your assertion that,
> given equal volumes and identical containers, water will hold heat
> better?

I'm sure that information is easily verifiable by doing a simple web
search.

> But there is also this--heat equal amounts of each to 200F for an
> hour, you'll still have the same quantity of sand. Not so, water.

Yes, I mentioned that.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 14:47:43 -0400, Bob Muncie >
> wrote:
>
>> Denny - I have purged my plonkage of the curmudgeons on AFB, and start
>> ed over. As mentioned, it's rather stupid to get to apologetic as mostly
>> everyone is prone to causing an argument, or helping it to continue. But
>> I draw the line at someone sending a PM that associates me to some
>> stupid prank as to be associated to something idiot. group. That's when
>> I actually added to plonk, and felt better for it. Was I at fault by
>> escalation? Yes. DO I want to do back and pick apart the word for word
>> your being angry notwithstanding? Nope. Again, water under the bridge. I
>> could even say I somewhat started this with the term "heat sink" instead
>> of a description of the capacitance factor that sand adds vs. water.

> I went back over the thread, just trying to find what the heck I said
> that triggered the 'learn some science'--best I could figure is that
> some attributions got scrambled and so you were thinking someone
> else's words were mine. <shrug> Happens.
>
>> OTOH, I would was my hands again (pun intended this time), of the whole
>> matter. No harm no foul.

> Works for me.
>
> I think we both got touchy at the wrong time.
>
> Water under da bridge.
> Hope ya have a good 4th.
>
> That goes for all here, even those outside the US--it's 4th of July
> whether or not it's Independence Day: enjoy it!!

Thanks Denny. You do the same. (you'll notice I did de-plonk) :-)

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 23:13:06 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:

> I did not know until a few minutes ago that VeGA and Steve had taken
> what I said in the last post as me referring to those "two others" being
> about "them". I was not.

I didn't think that. I haven't even really been following the
argument with any interest at all. Who's winning?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 22:00:51 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:

> :-) Heck, then that will leave you out in the cold. Steve, Vega, and I have
> argued and will likely argue in the future. Heck, there have been arguments
> going on between regulars as a natural course from time to time.

Yeah - I don't take pride arguing with everyone at some time or
another, but shit happens. With very few exceptions, for most it's
like nothing every happened a week or two later. I have never been
known to hold but a handful of grudges. If you make three strikes
in 6 months, then you are on the "permanant list"

ObBBQ: I have two briskets (30lbs for $.67/lb at <mumble walmart
mumble>) and no smoker.

I'm staying home all day today as I usually get into some sort of
trouble on the 4th. I'll probably make hamburger from one of them
and the other has had the point removed and has started corning
while the flat is in a 275F oven and heavily spiced (there's even a
thin coat of BBQ sauce on top). No liquid smoke, but I did put foil
on it after the sauce dried a little.

Anybody got a problem with that?

Heh.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 15:03:48 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 22:00:51 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> :-) Heck, then that will leave you out in the cold. Steve, Vega, and I have
>> argued and will likely argue in the future. Heck, there have been arguments
>> going on between regulars as a natural course from time to time.

>Yeah - I don't take pride arguing with everyone at some time or
>another, but shit happens. With very few exceptions, for most it's
>like nothing every happened a week or two later. I have never been
>known to hold but a handful of grudges. If you make three strikes
>in 6 months, then you are on the "permanant list"
>
>ObBBQ: I have two briskets (30lbs for $.67/lb at <mumble walmart
>mumble>) and no smoker.
>
>I'm staying home all day today as I usually get into some sort of
>trouble on the 4th. I'll probably make hamburger from one of them
>and the other has had the point removed and has started corning
>while the flat is in a 275F oven and heavily spiced (there's even a
>thin coat of BBQ sauce on top). No liquid smoke, but I did put foil
>on it after the sauce dried a little.
>
>Anybody got a problem with that?
>
>Heh.
>
>-sw

<G>

I think staying home is an excellent idea for you, Steve, as you're a
bit sweet but definitely spicy (or feisty, take your pick!).

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 13:24:05 -0700, Denny Wheeler wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 15:03:48 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>ObBBQ: I have two briskets (30lbs for $.67/lb at <mumble walmart
>>mumble>) and no smoker.
>>
>>I'm staying home all day today as I usually get into some sort of
>>trouble on the 4th. I'll probably make hamburger from one of them
>>and the other has had the point removed and has started corning
>>while the flat is in a 275F oven and heavily spiced (there's even a
>>thin coat of BBQ sauce on top). No liquid smoke, but I did put foil
>>on it after the sauce dried a little.
>>
>>Anybody got a problem with that?

> Yes. You didn't invite me to come help you eat it.
>
> Why haven't you picked up another ECB?

I went to Walmart to buy a GOSM or a Square ECB (not knowing they
had brisket on sale). There were no GOSM's and the Brinkmann model
they had on display was not the same model they had in the boxes.

This is what they had on display:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10854142

But what they had in boxes were single door models that were
slightly cheaper-made in other respects as well. And the floor
model was too banged up and missing pieces to consider purchasing.

I toyed with the idea of getting the Smoke 'n Grill ($37), but that
would have been a drastic step down from the Brinkmann Charcoal
Gourmet smoker which I'm much more comfortable using. The Smoke 'n
Grill has a huge non-adjustable air intake (or rather, the lack of a
floor to the smoker). And yeah - that fire pan needs help, unlike
the Gourmet Charcoal. I would have used twice as much lump running
that thing than the GECB. I'll still be on the lookout for the GOSM
or the SECB. I think Walmart is the only dealer of the GOSM, but
Academy Sporting Goods has a huge like of cabinet smoker much like
the GOSM. I should have went there in instead.

ObBrisket: That is the tenderist, juciest brisket flat I've ever
cooked. And it cooked in 3.5 hours (to 196F). And two Sierra
Nevada Bigfoots to wash down that french dip (that brisket also made
30 ounces of pretty good beef stock). Most of the was trimmed
beforehand and is still rendering for cooking french fries and tater
tots later tonight.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
message ...

> I've gotta think it's a pretty nice unit if you want to do stuff
> like cold
> smoked sausage.

Mine gets a lot of use with traditional brisket, butts and ribs,
but even if those were eliminated from my diet, I'd still get one
for almonds, cashews, peanuts, cheese, salmon and jerky

--
Nonny

.. . . on a darned diet
and ready to chew off
my own elbows.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> ObBrisket: That is the tenderist, juciest brisket flat I've
> ever
> cooked. And it cooked in 3.5 hours (to 196F). And two Sierra
> Nevada Bigfoots to wash down that french dip (that brisket also
> made
> 30 ounces of pretty good beef stock). Most of the was trimmed
> beforehand and is still rendering for cooking french fries and
> tater
> tots later tonight.

I cannot describe what the above sentence does to me, having had
1/2 bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and 1/2 a chicken breast salad
for lunch. Diets suck.

--
Nonny

.. . . on a darned diet
and ready to chew off
my own elbows.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 23:13:06 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> I did not know until a few minutes ago that VeGA and Steve had taken
>> what I said in the last post as me referring to those "two others"
>> being about "them". I was not.

> I didn't think that. I haven't even really been following the
> argument with any interest at all. Who's winning?

Uh, I'll go check the current standings for day 1 of the Tour DAY France and
get back to ya.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> I'm staying home all day today as I usually get into some sort of
> trouble on the 4th. I'll probably make hamburger from one of them
> and the other has had the point removed and has started corning
> while the flat is in a 275F oven and heavily spiced (there's even a
> thin coat of BBQ sauce on top). No liquid smoke, but I did put foil
> on it after the sauce dried a little.
>
> Anybody got a problem with that?

Did ya boil it first?

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 22:00:51 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> :-) Heck, then that will leave you out in the cold. Steve, Vega, and I have
>> argued and will likely argue in the future. Heck, there have been arguments
>> going on between regulars as a natural course from time to time.

> Yeah - I don't take pride arguing with everyone at some time or
> another, but shit happens. With very few exceptions, for most it's
> like nothing every happened a week or two later. I have never been
> known to hold but a handful of grudges. If you make three strikes
> in 6 months, then you are on the "permanant list"
>
> ObBBQ: I have two briskets (30lbs for $.67/lb at <mumble walmart
> mumble>) and no smoker.
>
> I'm staying home all day today as I usually get into some sort of
> trouble on the 4th. I'll probably make hamburger from one of them
> and the other has had the point removed and has started corning
> while the flat is in a 275F oven and heavily spiced (there's even a
> thin coat of BBQ sauce on top). No liquid smoke, but I did put foil
> on it after the sauce dried a little.
>
> Anybody got a problem with that?
>
> Heh.
>
> -sw

Steve - The only problem you have with me, is you didn't invite me over
for a beer for a more dignified discussion about the smoker love. And
yes, I also know this isn't the only place you hang your hat.

but I would have liked/like to have a beer with you to discuss :-)

Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 15:03:48 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> ObBBQ: I have two briskets (30lbs for $.67/lb at <mumble walmart
>> mumble>) and no smoker.
>>
>> I'm staying home all day today as I usually get into some sort of
>> trouble on the 4th. I'll probably make hamburger from one of them
>> and the other has had the point removed and has started corning
>> while the flat is in a 275F oven and heavily spiced (there's even a
>> thin coat of BBQ sauce on top). No liquid smoke, but I did put foil
>> on it after the sauce dried a little.
>>
>> Anybody got a problem with that?

> Yes. You didn't invite me to come help you eat it.
>
> Why haven't you picked up another ECB?

Funny you should mention that. My last smoker fell apart from use last
fall, and I have a brand new ECB in the garage. I just haven't started
using it, cause I haven't had time to modify it yet <sigh>.

BTW, ECBs are pretty cool if you do the mods (I know), for the price.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 23:13:06 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> I did not know until a few minutes ago that VeGA and Steve had taken
>> what I said in the last post as me referring to those "two others" being
>> about "them". I was not.

> I didn't think that. I haven't even really been following the
> argument with any interest at all. Who's winning?
>
> -sw

Steve - Take this in the prospective of someone that knows you, but you
don't know them?

I wuv you. :-) Somehow that fits with the whole thread :-)

Seriously, The example of what I was originally trying to use you as an
example is that, I might have long ago thought of plonking you (due to
your style), but you make too much sense to do that, assuming I'm not
stupid. Even if abrupt with your postings, and non-pc (don't bother
arguing that as I know better. I decided a while back that your posts
are worth reading and evaluating, even if i didn't agrre with the findings.

I just poorly communicated myself the other day.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 13:59:58 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> At least Steve puts up good arguments, and actually posts good stuff
>> often enough, I still read his posts. He also doesn't poster like the
>> other internet tough guy wannabes.

> Heck no. I'm a _genuine_ tough guy asshole much of the time.
>
> -sw

Lol.. (Really). I already know your style of posting. So yes, until
you'ins get use to me here, that's life, and I didn't make a good first
impression. Well okay, tough titty. My bad, I already said so. Keep an
open mind, or plonk me. Your choice. Just because you are an "olbie"
does not make you a "rightbie". If that does not make sense, feel free
to plonk me as you chose if you want.

I already apologized, not just for the mess in the thread, but also for
the lack of communicating my sincere lack of getting my point across.

You want a blow job? Move to where you can afford it.

Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 19:38:38 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:

> Lol.. (Really). I already know your style of posting. So yes, until
> you'ins get use to me here, that's life, and I didn't make a good first
> impression. Well okay, tough titty. My bad, I already said so. Keep an
> open mind, or plonk me. Your choice. Just because you are an "olbie"
> does not make you a "rightbie". If that does not make sense, feel free
> to plonk me as you chose if you want.

I have a pretty good memory of Usenet names and I remember seeing
your posts from you occasionally. How can you forget a name like
'Munchie'?

And why do you keep calling me Steve? ;-)

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 21:38:29 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 19:38:38 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> Lol.. (Really). I already know your style of posting. So yes, until
>> you'ins get use to me here, that's life, and I didn't make a good first
>> impression. Well okay, tough titty. My bad, I already said so. Keep an
>> open mind, or plonk me. Your choice. Just because you are an "olbie"
>> does not make you a "rightbie". If that does not make sense, feel free
>> to plonk me as you chose if you want.

>I have a pretty good memory of Usenet names and I remember seeing
>your posts from you occasionally. How can you forget a name like
>'Munchie'?
>
>And why do you keep calling me Steve? ;-)
>
>-sw

'Cuz I thought it was your name, hon! I can use "Sqwertz" if you wish,
but that brings up a lot of odd connotations (which is maybe the
point?).

Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 19:22:51 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:

> BTW, ECBs are pretty cool if you do the mods (I know), for the price.

I've been using the Gourmet Charcoal ECB's. When I brag about an
ECB, this is what I'm bragging about. I never really even took a
close look at the Smoke 'n Pit (Real ECB) until just yesterday.
It's no wonder some folks think and speak so negatively about them.
The Gourmet version is a definite step up. I had never even seen
the "real ECB" (up close) before yesterday.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 15:25:25 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> I'm staying home all day today as I usually get into some sort of
>> trouble on the 4th. I'll probably make hamburger from one of them
>> and the other has had the point removed and has started corning
>> while the flat is in a 275F oven and heavily spiced (there's even a
>> thin coat of BBQ sauce on top). No liquid smoke, but I did put foil
>> on it after the sauce dried a little.
>>
>> Anybody got a problem with that?

> Did ya boil it first?

I boiled it after it was in the oven and before I put it in the
Crock Pot.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 19:42:11 -0700, Desideria wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 21:38:29 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 19:38:38 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:
>>
>>> Lol.. (Really). I already know your style of posting. So yes, until
>>> you'ins get use to me here, that's life, and I didn't make a good first
>>> impression. Well okay, tough titty. My bad, I already said so. Keep an
>>> open mind, or plonk me. Your choice. Just because you are an "olbie"
>>> does not make you a "rightbie". If that does not make sense, feel free
>>> to plonk me as you chose if you want.

>>I have a pretty good memory of Usenet names and I remember seeing
>>your posts from you occasionally. How can you forget a name like
>>'Munchie'?
>>
>>And why do you keep calling me Steve? ;-)

> 'Cuz I thought it was your name, hon!

It is. My point was that you wouldn't know that unless you've been
reading the groups for a while :-)

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 19:42:11 -0700, Desideria wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 21:38:29 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> I have a pretty good memory of Usenet names and I remember seeing
>>> your posts from you occasionally. How can you forget a name like
>>> 'Munchie'?
>>>
>>> And why do you keep calling me Steve? ;-)

>> 'Cuz I thought it was your name, hon!

> It is. My point was that you wouldn't know that unless you've been
> reading the groups for a while :-)
>
> -sw

Well "Steve", you have a good memory if you remember the isolated posts
I've made back in the day. And yes ;-) I actually caught your drift, and
thought Desideria was funny enough to make me laugh.

I'm glad to not be on the ostracized list after the mess yesterday, as
that certainly wasn't my intent.

I just want to be one of the "get off my lawn" club. :-)

Have a nice Sunday if'n I don't post.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 22:05:11 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 19:42:11 -0700, Desideria wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 21:38:29 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>I have a pretty good memory of Usenet names and I remember seeing
>>>your posts from you occasionally. How can you forget a name like
>>>'Munchie'?
>>>
>>>And why do you keep calling me Steve? ;-)

>> 'Cuz I thought it was your name, hon!

>It is. My point was that you wouldn't know that unless you've been
>reading the groups for a while :-)
>
>-sw

I'm telepathic.

<g>

Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4-Jul-2009, Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 12:15:44 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
> > wrote:
>
> >> Maybe sometime I'll try water one day, sand the next, on something
> >> like ribs with no rub at all.

> >No rub at all... it sounds radical, but it's not in the least. The owner
> >of
> >one of the best local KC barbecues swears that he puts his spareribs in
> >naked. He cooks over nothing but hickory logs, and says that the smoke
> >he
> >gets from the first couple hours of the burn is enough flavor. I have to
> >think he is adding some seasoning at some point, but fact is, he puts
> >out
> >the best tasting restaurant spares in the city, IMO.

> Several here have said they often do ribs with nothing save maybe S&P.
> Mostly I was thinking in terms of reducing the number of variables.
>
> But I do want to see what I think of 'naked' ribs.
>
> --
> -denny-

I expect that you'll like your "naked" ribs just fine. Beware as you may
discover that you prefer them that way. Imagine being able to taste the
meat without modifiers. (You can always season at your plate)

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4-Jul-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 22:00:51 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:
>
> > :-) Heck, then that will leave you out in the cold. Steve, Vega, and I
> > have
> > argued and will likely argue in the future. Heck, there have been
> > arguments
> > going on between regulars as a natural course from time to time.

> Yeah - I don't take pride arguing with everyone at some time or
> another, but shit happens. With very few exceptions, for most it's
> like nothing every happened a week or two later. I have never been
> known to hold but a handful of grudges. If you make three strikes
> in 6 months, then you are on the "permanant list"
>
> ObBBQ: I have two briskets (30lbs for $.67/lb at <mumble walmart
> mumble>) and no smoker.
>
> I'm staying home all day today as I usually get into some sort of
> trouble on the 4th. I'll probably make hamburger from one of them
> and the other has had the point removed and has started corning
> while the flat is in a 275F oven and heavily spiced (there's even a
> thin coat of BBQ sauce on top). No liquid smoke, but I did put foil
> on it after the sauce dried a little.
>
> Anybody got a problem with that?
>
> Heh.
>
> -sw

I have a major problem with that. I'm too damn far away to get a bite
of it. I wish I had some of that $0.67/lb brisket. I'd make a bunch of
corned beef. I've only made corned beef one time and it was much
better then what I can buy. Simple process. Medium strength brine
loaded with pickling spice and some instacure and contained in a
gallon size ziplock for five days or so. (I put the loaded ziplock in a
large SS bowl for
safety)

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...
>> >one of the best local KC barbecues swears that he puts his
>> >spareribs in
>> >naked. He cooks over nothing but hickory logs, and says that
>> >the smoke
>> >he
>> >gets from the first couple hours of the burn is enough flavor.
>> >I have to
>> >think he is adding some seasoning at some point, but fact is,
>> >he puts
>> >out
>> >the best tasting restaurant spares in the city, IMO.

>> Several here have said they often do ribs with nothing save
>> maybe S&P.
>> Mostly I was thinking in terms of reducing the number of
>> variables.
>>
>> But I do want to see what I think of 'naked' ribs.

I don't know for sure, but often suspect that Rudy's ribs, pre
sauce, are "naked." They do have a good dose of cracked pepper on
them. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate comments.

--
Nonny

.. . . on a darned diet
and ready to chew off
my own elbows.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 19:12:31 -0700, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

>>>It is. My point was that you wouldn't know that unless you've been
>>>reading the groups for a while :-)
>>>
>>>-sw

>>I'm telepathic.

>That is often all too true (he said regretfully).

Except when you want it to be true, dear. I'd say the same of you, but
you just aren't telepathic even when I wish it. ;-P

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 5, 7:00*pm, "Nonny" > wrote:
> I don't know for sure, but often suspect that Rudy's ribs, pre
> sauce, are "naked." *They do have a good dose of cracked pepper on
> them. *If anyone knows, I'd appreciate comments.

Well, I can't speak for all Rudy's but the ones I've been to over here
in Texas serve naked ribs.

-frohe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 7, 7:09*am, frohe > wrote:

> Well, I can't speak for all Rudy's but the ones I've been to over here
> in Texas serve naked ribs.

> -frohe

I have two Rudy's about 25 minutes each way from my house. Both serve
ALL meat nekkid, with sauce on the table.

I don't care for their sauce, but sometimes the ribs are bit dry
depending on when you get them, so as is a Texas tradition, there's
"sauce on the side".

My opinion notwithstanding, their sauce is popular enough they sell it
in quart bottles in both locations.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
> On Jul 7, 7:09 am, frohe > wrote:
>
>> Well, I can't speak for all Rudy's but the ones I've been to
>> over here
>> in Texas serve naked ribs.

>> -frohe

> I have two Rudy's about 25 minutes each way from my house. Both
> serve
> ALL meat nekkid, with sauce on the table.
>
> I don't care for their sauce, but sometimes the ribs are bit dry
> depending on when you get them, so as is a Texas tradition,
> there's
> "sauce on the side".
>
> My opinion notwithstanding, their sauce is popular enough they
> sell it
> in quart bottles in both locations.
>
> Robert

When we get food to eat there, the sause <as sp by Rudy's> is
dispensed from a make believe barrel. It's also available in
several sizes up to 32oz. We like it and keep a supply here at
the house. When I'm smoking ribs to serve KC style, I do them
like Rudy's, with only S&P. However, they've been vacuum
marinated in apple juice, so I don't know if that qualifies them
as really "naked." To be honest, when we're in Austin visiting
the kids, I eat the ribs plain, without any of the sause. They're
darned good, IMHO. The downside to it is that I'm nuts over
Rudy's turkey breast, so don't know which to fill up on.

--
Nonny

.. . . on a darned diet
and ready to chew off
my own elbows.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 05:09:47 -0700 (PDT), frohe >
> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 5, 7:00 pm, "Nonny" > wrote:
>>> I don't know for sure, but often suspect that Rudy's ribs, pre
>>> sauce, are "naked." They do have a good dose of cracked pepper on
>>> them. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate comments.

>> Well, I can't speak for all Rudy's but the ones I've been to over here
>> in Texas serve naked ribs.

> Totally naked? As in, no rub?

What would be the fun in being naked if you didn't at least rub? :-)

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in
message ...
> On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 05:09:47 -0700 (PDT), frohe
> >
> wrote:
>
>>On Jul 5, 7:00 pm, "Nonny" > wrote:
>>> I don't know for sure, but often suspect that Rudy's ribs, pre
>>> sauce, are "naked." They do have a good dose of cracked
>>> pepper on
>>> them. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate comments.

>>Well, I can't speak for all Rudy's but the ones I've been to
>>over here
>>in Texas serve naked ribs.

> Totally naked? As in, no rub?

That's my belief from what I've eaten there. Just S&P before
smoking. I might be wrong.
--
Nonny

.. . . on a darned diet
and ready to chew off
my own elbows.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 7, 7:22*pm, Denny Wheeler >
wrote:
> Totally naked? *As in, no rub?

Oh, they got rub; just not drowned in sauce while cooking.

-frohe

Go GO GO !!!Sand beach [email protected] General Cooking 0 14-01-2008 06:31 AM
HELP PLEASE? Sand in a WSMC? Zz Yzx Barbecue 17 19-12-2007 06:37 PM
Sand with water Moe Jones Barbecue 11 20-10-2007 12:09 AM
Any issues when using sand Bill Riel Barbecue 54 07-10-2007 01:26 AM
Sand? What sand. Dave Turner[_2_] Barbecue 19 14-08-2007 03:43 AM