Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default HELP Please: Sand in WSM

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in
message ...
> On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 00:53:30 -0700 (PDT), frohe
> >
> wrote:
>
>>On Jul 7, 7:22 pm, Denny Wheeler
>
>>wrote:
>>> Totally naked? As in, no rub?

>>Oh, they got rub; just not drowned in sauce while cooking.
>>
>>-frohe

> Well, hell. Does ANYONE in afb drown their ribs in sauce while
> they're cooking? I use a finishing glaze (Danny Gaulden's
> recipe)
> when they come off the pit, or 5-10 min. before they come off.
> Beyond
> that, I've never used sauce, during or after the cook.
>
> --
> -denny-

I consider that to be a "style" of ribs and yes, I do that
occasionally. Usually, it's before I have a scheduled major
cleanup of the grates. <Grin> I offer no apologies for doing it
that way- it's the way my relatives do ribs and how they consider
them to be "great." I don't do it regularly, but when we're
expecting company from the old hometown and I know that's how they
like their ribs, I do it and consider it to be just fine.

I don't consider it to be my place in life to educate guests about
the proper way to prepare or consume food. I like to serve them
what the want and what they enjoy, saving my own preferences for
when I'm doing it for myself and the bride.

--
Nonny

.. . . on a darned diet
and ready to chew off
my own elbows.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 00:53:30 -0700 (PDT), frohe >
> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 7, 7:22 pm, Denny Wheeler >
>> wrote:
>>> Totally naked? As in, no rub?

>> Oh, they got rub; just not drowned in sauce while cooking.
>>
>> -frohe

> Well, hell. Does ANYONE in afb drown their ribs in sauce while
> they're cooking? I use a finishing glaze (Danny Gaulden's recipe)
> when they come off the pit, or 5-10 min. before they come off. Beyond
> that, I've never used sauce, during or after the cook.

Often I'd do a finishing sauce for a glaze, but never the regular BBQ
sauces unless grilling for the last 20 ~ 30 minutes over direct heat for
a nice thick crusty outer layer of sauce that demands individual hand
towels. :-)

I'm still jealous listening to all the Q'ing going on since as I
mentioned elsewhere, my old smoker has fallen apart, and the new ECB is
waiting in box till the next time I can get around to the hardware store
and get the modification parts, and a bag of play sand. Grilling is
good, but it's just not the same.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 10, 11:36*am, "Nonny" > wrote:
> "Denny Wheeler" > wrote in
> messagenews:aj4d551dggmcqbbpkc5qr0e4f5lcu03vfq@4ax .com...
>

> > On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 00:53:30 -0700 (PDT), frohe
> > >
> > wrote:

> >>Oh, they got rub; just not drowned in sauce while cooking.

> >>-frohe

> > Well, hell. *Does ANYONE in afb drown their ribs in sauce while
> > they're cooking? *I use a finishing glaze (Danny Gaulden's
> > recipe)
> > when they come off the pit, or 5-10 min. before they come off.
> > Beyond
> > that, I've never used sauce, during or after the cook.

> > --
> > -denny-

> I consider that to be a "style" of ribs and yes, I do that
> occasionally. *Usually, it's before I have a scheduled major

No need to apologize or explain, you can do ribs over sauerkraut in
the oven, lots of ways to do em. Heck, before I learned to Q one of
the better ribs I had made used a method that would make most here
laugh out loud.

I boiled the ribs up in store bought BBQ sauce thinned a bit with
water, then finished them on the grill. Learned the method from the
taxi driver in Chicago and was damn proud of it too.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know.

Grilled BBQ sauce just plain tastes good. That reminds me I haven't
done my candied chicken (grilled chicken with lots of BBQ sauce cooked
on) in a while.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Duwop" > wrote in message
> On Jul 10, 11:36 am, "Nonny" > wrote:
>> "Denny Wheeler" > wrote in
>> messagenews:aj4d551dggmcqbbpkc5qr0e4f5lcu03vfq@4ax .com...

>> > Well, hell. Does ANYONE in afb drown their ribs in sauce
>> > while
>> > they're cooking? I use a finishing glaze (Danny Gaulden's
>> > recipe)
>> > when they come off the pit, or 5-10 min. before they come
>> > off.
>> > Beyond
>> > that, I've never used sauce, during or after the cook.

>> > --
>> > -denny-

>> I consider that to be a "style" of ribs and yes, I do that
>> occasionally. Usually, it's before I have a scheduled major

> No need to apologize or explain, you can do ribs over sauerkraut
> in
> the oven, lots of ways to do em. Heck, before I learned to Q
> one of
> the better ribs I had made used a method that would make most
> here
> laugh out loud.
>
> I boiled the ribs up in store bought BBQ sauce thinned a bit
> with
> water, then finished them on the grill. Learned the method from
> the
> taxi driver in Chicago and was damn proud of it too.
>
> Yeah, yeah, I know, I know.
>
> Grilled BBQ sauce just plain tastes good. That reminds me I
> haven't
> done my candied chicken (grilled chicken with lots of BBQ sauce
> cooked
> on) in a while.

For some reason, Mrs. Nonny and I kinda' like the flavor of apple
juice on chicken and some pork products. I've mentioned often
that I frequently vacuum marinade ribs and chicken in apple juice
before cooking. Well, if any of you all like that, one of my old
time favorites is cooked down apple juice, flavored with a touch
of garlic and cayenne and a bit of salt. Period. Nothing more. I
use it on chicken sometimes and it's always a hit. The natural
sugars in the apple juice make it seem sweeter as it cooks down
and it becomes sauce-like.

I usually reduce it by about 1/3 on the stove while prepping the
chicken. Then, I transfer the slightly thickened juice to an SS
bowl and put it off to the side of the chicken, over indirect
heat. I then baste the chicken 3-5 times during its grilling
time, but that's not as long as it sounds, since I typically give
the chicken a quick smoke before grilling it to get a little smoke
flavor. It's fussy cooking, but nobody seems to complain.

--
Nonny

Giving money and power to
liberals is like giving
whiskey and car keys
to teenage boys.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 10, 1:36*pm, "Nonny" > wrote:

> I usually reduce it by about 1/3 on the stove while prepping the
> chicken. *Then, I transfer the slightly thickened juice to an SS
> bowl and put it off to the side of the chicken, over indirect
> heat. *I then baste the chicken 3-5 times during its grilling
> time, but that's not as long as it sounds, since I typically give
> the chicken a quick smoke before grilling it to get a little smoke
> flavor. *It's fussy cooking, but nobody seems to complain.
>
> --

Think I'm gonna give that a try tonight, just happen to have
everything onhand and it's a nice day.

Chicken
Applejuice
Garlic

Whisky

All set.

Thanks Nonny.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 10, 8:33*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
> > Grilled BBQ sauce just plain tastes good.

> It sure does, but it keeps falling through the grill! Takes me all night to
> build up a mound big enough to eat...

*chuckle*

I can hear the ghost of Ed McMahon saying "Hiiiiyo!"

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

i don't think this is the most informative thread i've ever read, but it
sure is entertaining. Lee
"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Duwop wrote:
>>
>> Damn Denny, you've just been served! You wasted two of his
>> paragraphs!
>> You know, in these economic times we need to conserve energy, and
>> there was a LOT of bullshit in those two paragraphs that could have
>> been used to heat up a chicken coop or something, instead of just
>> wasting them as you did.
>>
>> The horror, the horror.

> ROTFLOL!!!! Denny, please keep hold of your grief at being 'plonked'.
> Chin up, and all that gibber-jabber. :-0
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

odd i was just discussing the emptying of my kill file once a month, i
figure most bothersome sorts leave in that time. if they are still around in
a group i read they probably have something of value to add at some point,
Lee
"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> [...]

>> whom you were arguing.
>>
>> > I did not know until a few minutes ago that VeGA and Steve had taken
>> > what I said in the last post as me referring to those "two others"
>> > being about "them". I was not. Maybe that early in the morning time
>> > is a bad time to try and make a point when you are irritated with
>> > others.

>> I've been known to be burdened with that same issue.
>>
>> > I mentioned plonk (and I did drop the two I mentioned into the filter)
>> > as any one that wants to argue to no point, are wasting my times.

>> Both of those you were arguing with are people I respect. But I have a
>> certain loyalty to the friends I already have. I suspect that once I get
>> know you, I would feel the same about you after awhile. And yes, I have
>> personally met many of the regulars here. It would probably be worth
>> considering 'live and let live'. Folks here get hot and bothered
>> sometimes,
>> yours truly included, and then get on with life. No one needs to actively
>>
>> apologize or hold hands; things just tend to smooth-over with time. I
>> won't
>> presume to speak for the other actors in this play, but I can't imagine
>> anyone holding a grudge for very long.
>>
>> Maybe killfiles could be purged and everyone start out on a clean slate?
>>
>> > You, VeGA, and Steve are not ones I'd argue with. Maybe disagree with,
>> > but argue no.

>> :-) Heck, then that will leave you out in the cold. Steve, Vega, and I
>> have
>> argued and will likely argue in the future. Heck, there have been
>> arguments
>> going on between regulars as a natural course from time to time.
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
>> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

> I expect that I have crossed poison pens with just about everybody at
> one time or another, Dave Bugg included. I've only been on AFB/ABF
> since 2003. But I've been on the internet since way before windows.
> My original Compuserve ID was 73577, 605. That's right. There's a
> comma in there not a period. I was using a Heathkit H-89 back then
> with a mammoth 64K of memory and a pair of 720K floppy drives.
> Hard drives were still off in Buck Rogers land.
>
> I'm not proud of some of the invective I've posted in the past, but I
> believe that I've mellowed some in recent years. My killfile is empty.
> I find that I can simply scroll past the posts that I don't want to read.
>
> I've personally met many of the folks that post here. Some of them
> several times. Several of us recently attended the latest HTH (Hog
> to Hand) at Milan, GA. It's almost amazing how many common
> interests you discover when you converse face to face. What's
> more, gatherings of the (BBQ) faithful attract many who do not
> post regularly in the newsgroups, if at all.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I always figured holding grudges was a waste of time and space. How can you
hold a grudge, a beer or a glass of wine and, a plate of BBQ at the same
time? Not giving up my drink or the food!!!!

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> My original Compuserve ID was 73577, 605. That's right. There's a
>> comma in there not a period. I was using a Heathkit H-89 back then
>> with a mammoth 64K of memory and a pair of 720K floppy drives.
>> Hard drives were still off in Buck Rogers land.
>>
>> I'm not proud of some of the invective I've posted in the past, but I
>> believe that I've mellowed some in recent years. My killfile is empty.
>> I find that I can simply scroll past the posts that I don't want to read.
>>
>> I've personally met many of the folks that post here. Some of them
>> several times. Several of us recently attended the latest HTH (Hog
>> to Hand) at Milan, GA. It's almost amazing how many common
>> interests you discover when you converse face to face. What's
>> more, gatherings of the (BBQ) faithful attract many who do not
>> post regularly in the newsgroups, if at all.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> odd i was just discussing the emptying of my kill file once a month, i
> figure most bothersome sorts leave in that time. if they are still around
> in a group i read they probably have something of value to add at some
> point, Lee

I used to put every asshole in the killfile for a month, but then I found
that I was putting myself there too.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

, Lee
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
news

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> odd i was just discussing the emptying of my kill file once a month, i
>> figure most bothersome sorts leave in that time. if they are still around
>> in a group i read they probably have something of value to add at some
>> point, Lee

> I used to put every asshole in the killfile for a month, but then I found
> that I was putting myself there too.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

could talk about making the corned beef this is something i am extremely
interested in that and pastrami are two of DH's favorites, Lee
"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 22:00:51 -0700, Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> :-) Heck, then that will leave you out in the cold. Steve, Vega, and I
>> have
>> argued and will likely argue in the future. Heck, there have been
>> arguments
>> going on between regulars as a natural course from time to time.

> Yeah - I don't take pride arguing with everyone at some time or
> another, but shit happens. With very few exceptions, for most it's
> like nothing every happened a week or two later. I have never been
> known to hold but a handful of grudges. If you make three strikes
> in 6 months, then you are on the "permanant list"
>
> ObBBQ: I have two briskets (30lbs for $.67/lb at <mumble walmart
> mumble>) and no smoker.
>
> I'm staying home all day today as I usually get into some sort of
> trouble on the 4th. I'll probably make hamburger from one of them
> and the other has had the point removed and has started corning
> while the flat is in a 275F oven and heavily spiced (there's even a
> thin coat of BBQ sauce on top). No liquid smoke, but I did put foil
> on it after the sauce dried a little.
>
> Anybody got a problem with that?
>
> Heh.
>
> -sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I never could lose weight on a diet, so i joined weight watchers and learned
how to eat, at the risk of sounding cruel i ate six white castle burgers
yesterday and that was on plan for me, Lee, hating to see anyone suffer and
thinking elbows are quite important for bbqing
"Nonny" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>

>> ObBrisket: That is the tenderist, juciest brisket flat I've ever
>> cooked. And it cooked in 3.5 hours (to 196F). And two Sierra
>> Nevada Bigfoots to wash down that french dip (that brisket also made
>> 30 ounces of pretty good beef stock). Most of the was trimmed
>> beforehand and is still rendering for cooking french fries and tater
>> tots later tonight.
>>

> I cannot describe what the above sentence does to me, having had 1/2 bowl
> of oatmeal for breakfast and 1/2 a chicken breast salad for lunch. Diets
> suck.
>
> --
> Nonny
>
> . . . on a darned diet
> and ready to chew off
> my own elbows.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

and besides reading news groups is supposed to be fun and entertaining, so i
don't have time to be mad, Lee... with wine in one hand and a potato in the
other,
"Granby" > wrote in message
>I always figured holding grudges was a waste of time and space. How can
>you hold a grudge, a beer or a glass of wine and, a plate of BBQ at the
>same time? Not giving up my drink or the food!!!!
>

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> odd i was just discussing the emptying of my kill file once a month, i
>> figure most bothersome sorts leave in that time. if they are still around
>> in a group i read they probably have something of value to add at some
>> point, Lee
>> "Brick" > wrote in message
>> ster.com...

>>> I expect that I have crossed poison pens with just about everybody at
>>> one time or another, Dave Bugg included. I've only been on AFB/ABF
>>> since 2003. But I've been on the internet since way before windows.
>>> My original Compuserve ID was 73577, 605. That's right. There's a
>>> comma in there not a period. I was using a Heathkit H-89 back then
>>> with a mammoth 64K of memory and a pair of 720K floppy drives.
>>> Hard drives were still off in Buck Rogers land.
>>>
>>> I'm not proud of some of the invective I've posted in the past, but I
>>> believe that I've mellowed some in recent years. My killfile is empty.
>>> I find that I can simply scroll past the posts that I don't want to
>>> read.
>>>
>>> I've personally met many of the folks that post here. Some of them
>>> several times. Several of us recently attended the latest HTH (Hog
>>> to Hand) at Milan, GA. It's almost amazing how many common
>>> interests you discover when you converse face to face. What's
>>> more, gatherings of the (BBQ) faithful attract many who do not
>>> post regularly in the newsgroups, if at all.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Brick said that.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 06:43:46 -0500, "Granby" > wrote:

>I always figured holding grudges was a waste of time and space. How can you
>hold a grudge, a beer or a glass of wine and, a plate of BBQ at the same
>time? Not giving up my drink or the food!!!!

<g> You hold grudges in your hands, Granby? That's a new one!

(I like the idea, btw)

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

well i don't have spell check right now so i just quit worrying about it,
Lee
"Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Heck no. I'm a _genuine_ tough guy asshole much of the time.

>> What the hell does 'he doesn't poster like the other internet..." mean?
>>
>> I think Bob is in love with you, Steve.
>>

> It's called fat fingers... the word intended was "posture".
>
> Again, it was early in the morning, and I don't always speel-check
> (inserted for point making).
>
> Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

don't worry about it, when they want you to be its cool... and when they
don't they are creeped out... in the end i think they enjoy being creeped
out, Lee... with a DH who gets creeped out pretty often these days
"Desideria" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 19:12:31 -0700, Denny Wheeler
> > wrote:

>>>I'm telepathic.

>>That is often all too true (he said regretfully).

> Except when you want it to be true, dear. I'd say the same of you, but
> you just aren't telepathic even when I wish it. ;-P
>

> Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 10:18:31 -0500, "Stormmee"
> wrote:

>"Desideria" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 19:12:31 -0700, Denny Wheeler
>> > wrote:

>>>That is often all too true (he said regretfully).

>> Except when you want it to be true, dear. I'd say the same of you, but
>> you just aren't telepathic even when I wish it. ;-P
>>

>> Desideria

>don't worry about it, when they want you to be its cool... and when they
>don't they are creeped out... in the end i think they enjoy being creeped
>out, Lee... with a DH who gets creeped out pretty often these days

Umm, yeah. I hear you there!

So far, he still usually thinks it's cool. And a bit unfair, when I'm
more often right than he is! ;-)

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

the creeped out is also considered cool by my DH, i get "that" look as he
says... and he is creeped out waiting for me to say something, anything,
anticipation and all that... but mind you we've been together for over
thirty years, and he is getting better, Lee
"Desideria" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 10:18:31 -0500, "Stormmee"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Desideria" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 19:12:31 -0700, Denny Wheeler

>>> Except when you want it to be true, dear. I'd say the same of you, but
>>> you just aren't telepathic even when I wish it. ;-P
>>>

>>> Desideria

>>don't worry about it, when they want you to be its cool... and when they
>>don't they are creeped out... in the end i think they enjoy being creeped
>>out, Lee... with a DH who gets creeped out pretty often these days

> Umm, yeah. I hear you there!
>
> So far, he still usually thinks it's cool. And a bit unfair, when I'm
> more often right than he is! ;-)
>

> Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sure wouldn't hold them in my heart, life is too short for that. I have
been alone for three years now and don't give a whack what most folks think.
I certainly have plenty of folks where I live trying to tell me what to do.
"Desideria" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 06:43:46 -0500, "Granby" > wrote:
>
>>I always figured holding grudges was a waste of time and space. How can
>>you
>>hold a grudge, a beer or a glass of wine and, a plate of BBQ at the same
>>time? Not giving up my drink or the food!!!!

> <g> You hold grudges in your hands, Granby? That's a new one!
>
> (I like the idea, btw)
>

> Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Never when you want them to be.
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> don't worry about it, when they want you to be its cool... and when they
> don't they are creeped out... in the end i think they enjoy being creeped
> out, Lee... with a DH who gets creeped out pretty often these days
> "Desideria" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 19:12:31 -0700, Denny Wheeler
>> > wrote:

>>>That is often all too true (he said regretfully).

>> Except when you want it to be true, dear. I'd say the same of you, but
>> you just aren't telepathic even when I wish it. ;-P
>>

>> Desideria

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> the creeped out is also considered cool by my DH, i get "that" look as he
> says... and he is creeped out waiting for me to say something, anything,
> anticipation and all that... but mind you we've been together for over
> thirty years, and he is getting better, Lee
> [ . . . ]

I'm with your DH on this. Jun sometimes gets "that" look. I ask her,
"What?" If she says, "I don't want to bother you, BUT . . . ," I get a
chill! ;-0

We've only been together 19 years, but I'm not as much of a jerk as I used
to was. <scratching head>

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Granby" > wrote:
> Remember my dear, she has a SCREEN READER!! Just couldn't resist.
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Stormmee" > wrote:
> >> could talk about making the corned beef this is something i am
> >> extremely interested in that and pastrami are two of DH's favorites,
> >> Lee [ . . . ]

> > A lot of reading for yer tired old eyes, Lee, but here's what I've got:
> >[]

You said the s-r word! You said the s-r word! LMAO

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

and it is probably true that she is getting better at phrasing what she
needs to say... i used to just blurt out whatever, and when you don't
temper, I just know the next doors dog is dying, and it does... well i have
to admit its creepy, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> the creeped out is also considered cool by my DH, i get "that" look as he
>> says... and he is creeped out waiting for me to say something, anything,
>> anticipation and all that... but mind you we've been together for over
>> thirty years, and he is getting better, Lee
>> [ . . . ]

> I'm with your DH on this. Jun sometimes gets "that" look. I ask her,
> "What?" If she says, "I don't want to bother you, BUT . . . ," I get a
> chill! ;-0
>
> We've only been together 19 years, but I'm not as much of a jerk as I used
> to was. <scratching head>
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Go GO GO !!!Sand beach [email protected] General Cooking 0 14-01-2008 06:31 AM
HELP PLEASE? Sand in a WSMC? Zz Yzx Barbecue 17 19-12-2007 06:37 PM
Sand with water Moe Jones Barbecue 11 20-10-2007 12:09 AM
Any issues when using sand Bill Riel Barbecue 54 07-10-2007 01:26 AM
Sand? What sand. Dave Turner[_2_] Barbecue 19 14-08-2007 03:43 AM