Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Cooking for a large group

My wife is going on a mission trip supervising a gaggle of teenagers
between 15-17 y.o., split about even between gender, including about 7
adults there will be around 45 people and I've been volunteered to
cook up a batch of pork butt for one of their dinners.

The local Costco stuff comes in 10lb chunks and figure that 4 of these
should make about 16-20 lbs of meat. (Brick posted a definitive % that
butt reduces by, and can't find it now)
Sound about right? Don't want the poor chaperones supervising hungry
teens now.

Plan on filling the cooker up that day, got a lot of co-workers hungry
for some. so figger to Q up 80-100 pounds (raw) that day. Could fit
more, but don't want to have a butt on the top rack dripping onto one
lower. I've not done this before, but it seems like it would be a bad
idea.

Dale
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 24-May-2009, Tutall > wrote:

> My wife is going on a mission trip supervising a gaggle of teenagers
> between 15-17 y.o., split about even between gender, including about 7
> adults there will be around 45 people and I've been volunteered to
> cook up a batch of pork butt for one of their dinners.
>
> The local Costco stuff comes in 10lb chunks and figure that 4 of these
> should make about 16-20 lbs of meat. (Brick posted a definitive % that
> butt reduces by, and can't find it now)
> Sound about right? Don't want the poor chaperones supervising hungry
> teens now.
>
> Plan on filling the cooker up that day, got a lot of co-workers hungry
> for some. so figger to Q up 80-100 pounds (raw) that day. Could fit
> more, but don't want to have a butt on the top rack dripping onto one
> lower. I've not done this before, but it seems like it would be a bad
> idea.
>
> Dale

You'll likely lose 40% Dale. I've lost more on occasion, but 40% is a
good number to work with.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tutall" > wrote in message

> My wife is going on a mission trip supervising a gaggle of teenagers
> between 15-17 y.o., split about even between gender, including about 7
> adults there will be around 45 people and I've been volunteered to
> cook up a batch of pork butt for one of their dinners.
>
> The local Costco stuff comes in 10lb chunks and figure that 4 of these
> should make about 16-20 lbs of meat. (Brick posted a definitive % that
> butt reduces by, and can't find it now)
> Sound about right? Don't want the poor chaperones supervising hungry
> teens now.
>
> Plan on filling the cooker up that day, got a lot of co-workers hungry
> for some. so figger to Q up 80-100 pounds (raw) that day. Could fit
> more, but don't want to have a butt on the top rack dripping onto one
> lower. I've not done this before, but it seems like it would be a bad
> idea.
>
> Dale

Are you sure your "cooker" can put out enough BTU'S to cook 100 Lbs of meat
in the required time and methodology?

Generally in order to do pulled pork properly requires slow cooking over a
long period of time.

To be 100% safe - please go he
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...ndex/index.asp

download the book and have all your "helpers" read it.

I would also invest in several instant read thermometers and a box of gloves
for the food handlers.

Have fun,.

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 24, 11:56*am, "Brick" > wrote:
> On 24-May-2009, Tutall > wrote:
>

> > My wife is going on a mission trip *supervising a gaggle of teenagers
> > between 15-17 y.o., split about even between gender, including about 7
> > adults there will be around 45 people and I've been volunteered to
> > cook up a batch of pork butt for one of their dinners.

> > The local Costco stuff comes in 10lb chunks and figure that 4 of these
> > should make about 16-20 lbs of meat. (Brick posted a definitive % that
> > butt reduces by, and can't find it now)
> > Sound about right? Don't want the poor chaperones supervising hungry
> > teens now.

> > Plan on filling the cooker up that day, got a lot of co-workers hungry
> > for some. so figger to Q up 80-100 pounds (raw) that day. Could fit
> > more, but don't want to have a butt on the top rack dripping onto one
> > lower. I've not done this before, but it seems like it would be a bad
> > idea.

> > Dale

> You'll likely lose 40% Dale. I've lost more on occasion, but 40% is a
> good number to work with.
>
> --
> Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bricker, I remembered the 40% butt forgot which way it went,
was thinking it left only 40%. That makes a big difference. I think
it'll stick this time.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 24, 12:23*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Tutall" > wrote in message

> Are you sure your "cooker" can put out enough BTU'S to cook 100 Lbs of meat
> in the required time and methodology?

I don't cook with no BuTane Units! I cook with wood or lump. You
Russians sure do cook funny. Me, I got what's known as a Texas Cooker,
cuz you know them Texans think they invented the damn things, they're
kinda like Russians that way, you'd like em. Anyway, mine is from
Texas and it uses WBU's (Wood Burning Units), not no butane. It kinda
works like this: I build a campfire inside a big steel box which heats
up a bigger steel box next to it. And no, I don't let nobody make
s'mores on it. Not while it's cooking anyway.

Anyways, all that's a long winded way to say: Yep!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 24 May 2009 10:50:21 -0700 (PDT), Tutall wrote:

> Could fit
> more, but don't want to have a butt on the top rack dripping onto one
> lower. I've not done this before, but it seems like it would be a bad
> idea.

Everything taste better basted with butt juice, even butt itself.
Nothign wrong with it. I get great chicken that way.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 24, 4:21*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2009 10:50:21 -0700 (PDT), Tutall wrote:
> > Could fit
> > more, but don't want to have a butt on the top rack dripping onto one
> > lower. I've not done this before, but it seems like it would be a bad
> > idea.

> Everything taste better basted with butt juice, even butt itself.
> Nothign wrong with it. *I get great chicken that way.
>
> -sw

Wouldn't that cause Mr. Brown to be retarded, or worse, killed? IIRC,
Mr. Brown is allergic to butt juice?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Duwop" > wrote in message
On May 24, 12:23 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Tutall" > wrote in message

> Are you sure your "cooker" can put out enough BTU'S to cook 100 Lbs of
> meat
> in the required time and methodology?

I don't cook with no BuTane Units! I cook with wood or lump. You
Russians sure do cook funny. Me, I got what's known as a Texas Cooker,
cuz you know them Texans think they invented the damn things, they're
kinda like Russians that way, you'd like em. Anyway, mine is from
Texas and it uses WBU's (Wood Burning Units), not no butane. It kinda
works like this: I build a campfire inside a big steel box which heats
up a bigger steel box next to it. And no, I don't let nobody make
s'mores on it. Not while it's cooking anyway.

Anyways, all that's a long winded way to say: Yep!

BTW - Just so you know:

1. Russian spelling Dmitri
2. Greek Spelling Dimitri
3. My Russian Cooker

http://www.chargriller.com/store/pro...products_id=34

4. I use Mesquite lump + seasoned red oak
5. I am a native of Hollywood

6. Just off the smoker &sauced.

http://i30.tinypic.com/2qmqdmu.jpg

A nice red oak pink

http://i31.tinypic.com/1pvz8n.jpg

Have fun - don't forget the gloves & an instant read.

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 25, 8:11*am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Duwop" > wrote in message

> BTW - Just so you know:
>
> 1. * *Russian spelling Dmitri
> 2. * *Greek Spelling Dimitri

Dammit, now you got me learning stuff. What's next? You gonna try
explaining the difference between Greek and Russian Orthodox and the
schism of 1348?

> 4. * *I use Mesquite lump + seasoned red oak

Wierdo, that's like having a Russian priest preside over a Greek
wedding.

> 5. * *I am a native of Hollywood

You and Cramer meet yet?

>Have fun - don't forget the gloves & an instant read.

Don't need 'em, cooking and freeing it all up in advance. It's my wife
who's going, not me.

And thanks for taking it in fun.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Duwop" > wrote in message
On May 25, 8:11 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Duwop" > wrote in message

> BTW - Just so you know:
>
> 1. Russian spelling Dmitri
> 2. Greek Spelling Dimitri

Dammit, now you got me learning stuff. What's next? You gonna try
explaining the difference between Greek and Russian Orthodox and the
schism of 1348?

Nope nor the differences between the Orthodox and the Catholics.

BTW the Greek Orthodox churches are nicer they have pews.

LOL

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 24 May 2009 19:09:31 -0700 (PDT), Duwop wrote:

> On May 24, 4:21*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 May 2009 10:50:21 -0700 (PDT), Tutall wrote:
>>> Could fit
>>> more, but don't want to have a butt on the top rack dripping onto one
>>> lower. I've not done this before, but it seems like it would be a bad
>>> idea.

>> Everything taste better basted with butt juice, even butt itself.
>> Nothign wrong with it. *I get great chicken that way.

> Wouldn't that cause Mr. Brown to be retarded, or worse, killed? IIRC,
> Mr. Brown is allergic to butt juice?

You lost me. How much have you had to drink so far today ;-)

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 25, 3:15*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2009 19:09:31 -0700 (PDT), Duwop wrote:

> >> Everything taste better basted with butt juice, even butt itself.
> >> Nothign wrong with it. *I get great chicken that way.

> > Wouldn't that cause Mr. Brown to be retarded, or worse, killed? IIRC,
> > Mr. Brown is allergic to butt juice?

> You lost me. *How much have you had to drink so far today ;-)
>
> -sw

Nothing, so far. Maybe that's the problem?

Was thinking that the nice crust (aka Mr. Brown) we all like so much
and try to encourage would not form under a rain of fat.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 25 May 2009 16:26:48 -0700 (PDT), Duwop wrote:

> On May 25, 3:15*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> Wouldn't that cause Mr. Brown to be retarded, or worse, killed? IIRC,
>>> Mr. Brown is allergic to butt juice?

>> You lost me. *How much have you had to drink so far today ;-)
>>
>> -sw

> Nothing, so far. Maybe that's the problem?
>
> Was thinking that the nice crust (aka Mr. Brown) we all like so much
> and try to encourage would not form under a rain of fat.

You still get a crust. Just like you do on the sides of your
topmost butt when the fat cap disolves and runs over the side.

Chicken? Well - that never gets a crust.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 25, 5:53*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 25 May 2009 16:26:48 -0700 (PDT), Duwop wrote:

> > Was thinking that the nice crust (aka Mr. Brown) we all like so much
> > and try to encourage would not form under a rain of fat.

> You still get a crust. *Just *like you do on the sides of your
> topmost butt when the fat cap disolves and runs over the side.

Think I'm hearing theory, not experience. Would that be right?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Duwop > wrote:
> On May 25, 8:11=A0am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> > "Duwop" > wrote in message

> > BTW - Just so you know:
> >
> > 1. =A0 =A0Russian spelling Dmitri
> > 2. =A0 =A0Greek Spelling Dimitri

> Dammit, now you got me learning stuff. What's next? You gonna try
> explaining the difference between Greek and Russian Orthodox and the
> schism of 1348?
>
> > 4. =A0 =A0I use Mesquite lump + seasoned red oak

> Wierdo, that's like having a Russian priest preside over a Greek
> wedding.
>
> > 5. =A0 =A0I am a native of Hollywood

> You and Cramer meet yet?

I'm always ready to meet a fellow Q'er. Especially if he's cookin'! I'll
bring beer and wine. Hey, Dimitri. I'm in North Hollywood, near Vineland
and Victory.

> >Have fun - don't forget the gloves & an instant read.

> Don't need 'em, cooking and freeing it all up in advance. It's my wife
> who's going, not me.
>
> And thanks for taking it in fun.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Duwop > wrote:
>> On May 25, 8:11=A0am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>> > "Duwop" > wrote in message

>> > BTW - Just so you know:
>> >
>> > 1. =A0 =A0Russian spelling Dmitri
>> > 2. =A0 =A0Greek Spelling Dimitri

>> Dammit, now you got me learning stuff. What's next? You gonna try
>> explaining the difference between Greek and Russian Orthodox and the
>> schism of 1348?
>>
>> > 4. =A0 =A0I use Mesquite lump + seasoned red oak

>> Wierdo, that's like having a Russian priest preside over a Greek
>> wedding.
>>
>> > 5. =A0 =A0I am a native of Hollywood

>> You and Cramer meet yet?

> I'm always ready to meet a fellow Q'er. Especially if he's cookin'! I'll
> bring beer and wine. Hey, Dimitri. I'm in North Hollywood, near Vineland
> and Victory.

Wazzz Up Nick?

I left the Golden land for Cambria a few years ago.

Now a traffic jam is 5 cars at the Burton & Hwy 1 traffic light.

LOL

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 26, 7:15*am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> Wazzz Up Nick?
>
> I left the Golden land for Cambria a few years ago.
>
> Now a traffic jam is 5 cars at the Burton & Hwy 1 traffic light.
>
> LOL

We're jealous, beautiful country and great weather there on the
central coast.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 25, 7:42*pm, Duwop > wrote:
> On May 25, 5:53*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 25 May 2009 16:26:48 -0700 (PDT), Duwop wrote:

> > > Was thinking that the nice crust (aka Mr. Brown) we all like so much
> > > and try to encourage would not form under a rain of fat.

> > You still get a crust. *Just *like you do on the sides of your
> > topmost butt when the fat cap disolves and runs over the side.

> Think I'm hearing theory, not experience. Would that be right?

I cook butts over butts all the time, just did three butts Sunday
night
in a WSM. Two butts on top, one below and that one was definitely
dripped-on, no problem with Mr. Brown. In the interest of full
disclosure, I do mop and wrap the butts for the final few hours of
cooking. I posted the link elsewhere, but here are snapshots
of the results yesterday morning on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3198909...7618718387209/

No problem with Mr. Brown.

.... and nice to gab with ya, D'wop ;-) Been a while.

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 25, 8:09*pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:

> I'm always ready to meet a fellow Q'er. Especially if he's cookin'! I'll
> bring beer and wine. Hey, Dimitri. I'm in North Hollywood, near Vineland
> and Victory.

I'll have to remember this next time I visit SoCal; spent 1984-1985 in
Thousand
Oaks, then 1985-2000 in a few different parts of LA County (mostly
Lancaster,
but Venice, Mission Hills, Van Nuys and Canyon County, too).

> Nick, KI6VAV

Uh oh, BBQ *and* ham radio!

Dana K6JQ (32 years licensed :-))

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 26, 9:00*am, Dana K6JQ > wrote:
> On May 25, 7:42*pm, Duwop > wrote:

> > > You still get a crust. *Just *like you do on the sides of your
> > > topmost butt when the fat cap disolves and runs over the side.

> > Think I'm hearing theory, not experience. Would that be right?

> I cook butts over butts all the time, just did three butts Sunday
> night
> in a WSM. *Two butts on top, one below and that one was definitely
> dripped-on, no problem with Mr. Brown. *In the interest of full
> disclosure, I do mop and wrap the butts for the final few hours of
> cooking. *I posted the link elsewhere, but here are snapshots
> of the results yesterday morning on flickr:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/3198909...7618718387209/
>
> No problem with Mr. Brown.

Thanks for feedback Dana. Just added a few more pounds to the
cook. ;-)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > Duwop > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]
> >> You and Cramer meet yet?

> > I'm always ready to meet a fellow Q'er. Especially if he's cookin'!
> > I'll bring beer and wine. Hey, Dimitri. I'm in North Hollywood, near
> > Vineland and Victory.

> Wazzz Up Nick?
>
> I left the Golden land for Cambria a few years ago.
>
> Now a traffic jam is 5 cars at the Burton & Hwy 1 traffic light.
>
> LOL

Hey, Griego,

Tres KEWL! I haven't been up that way since the 70's. Does the ghost of
William Randolph still wander the streets at night? LMAO

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Duwop" > wrote in message
On May 26, 7:15 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> Wazzz Up Nick?
>
> I left the Golden land for Cambria a few years ago.
>
> Now a traffic jam is 5 cars at the Burton & Hwy 1 traffic light.
>
> LOL

We're jealous, beautiful country and great weather there on the
central coast.

Hang in there it only took us 20 years to get here.

Dimitri