Posted to alt.food.barbecue
CC CC is offline

Default advice on Chargriller duo or smokin pro

I need a new gas grill and also want a charcoal grill and smoker,
It looks like the Char-Griller duo will fit my needs the most and in
my
price range,
The duo smoker is smaller than the smokin pro. Other than amount of
meat it will hold, will the duo cook (smoke) as well as the Pro,
Assuming mods
made on both, Or is the duo being smaller and shorter in length make
it harder to control
Or am I better off getting a gas grill and the smokin pro separately.
The size of the duo
is big enough for my needs, if it will perform as well as the smokin
pro.

Chargriller Duo
http://www.chargriller.com/store/pro...products_id=29

Smokin Pro
http://www.chargriller.com/store/pro...9b2e2c14013c3e

thanks for any thoughts or experience with these units
CC

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"CC" > wrote in message
news
>I need a new gas grill and also want a charcoal grill and smoker,
> It looks like the Char-Griller duo will fit my needs the most and in my
> price range,
> The duo smoker is smaller than the smokin pro. Other than amount of
> meat it will hold, will the duo cook (smoke) as well as the Pro, Assuming
> mods
> made on both, Or is the duo being smaller and shorter in length make it
> harder to control
> Or am I better off getting a gas grill and the smokin pro separately. The
> size of the duo
> is big enough for my needs, if it will perform as well as the smokin pro.
>
> Chargriller Duo
> http://www.chargriller.com/store/pro...products_id=29
>
> Smokin Pro
> http://www.chargriller.com/store/pro...9b2e2c14013c3e
>
> thanks for any thoughts or experience with these units
> CC

In addition to my standard gas grill I have a Smoking pro.

The assembly is a little difficult as the punch out section of the grill
side of the unit is difficult to remove without bending the unit - get a
saw. or drill a ton of pilot holes.

Other than the assembly problem I love the unit. There is a secondary grate
for the firebox. Normally if a have a large crowd I'll smoke a bunch of
ribs then at the very end charcoal grill a tri-tip right in the fire box.

If you are using a stand up rib rack for smoking or a large turkey the
warming rack in the main unit needs to be folded down onto the grates but
that is no problem.
The damper on the chimney and in the end of the fire box work quite well.
Normally I use an instant read thermometer to check the temperature of the
smoke - exhaust :-) then adjust the charcoal and dampers accordingly.

It is a heavy well made unit.

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 10, 3:49*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "CC" > wrote in message

> It is a heavy well made unit.
>
> Dimitri- Hide quoted text -

The bigger unit makes for a better grill, more space on a grill gives
you more cooking options in regards to how close to the coals you want
your meat. I learned to make my best grilled chicken on the bigger
Chargiller.

And, you can put the coal pile in the middle and cook two birds at
once.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Duwop" > wrote in message
On Apr 10, 3:49 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "CC" > wrote in message

> It is a heavy well made unit.
>
> Dimitri- Hide quoted text -

The bigger unit makes for a better grill, more space on a grill gives
you more cooking options in regards to how close to the coals you want
your meat. I learned to make my best grilled chicken on the bigger
Chargiller.

And, you can put the coal pile in the middle and cook two birds at
once.

Huh....

The bigger unit is 1/2 gas grill and 1/2 charcoal grill. with no side fire
box

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
CC CC is offline

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "Duwop" > wrote in message
> On Apr 10, 3:49 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>> "CC" > wrote in message

>> It is a heavy well made unit.
>>
>> Dimitri- Hide quoted text -

> The bigger unit makes for a better grill, more space on a grill
> gives
> you more cooking options in regards to how close to the coals you
> want
> your meat. I learned to make my best grilled chicken on the bigger
> Chargiller.
>
> And, you can put the coal pile in the middle and cook two birds at
> once.
>

> Huh....
>
> The bigger unit is 1/2 gas grill and 1/2 charcoal grill. with no
> side fire box
>
> Dimitri

That's true, as far as total length of the unit, but the 1/2 gas, 1/2
charcoal (duo) can
have the firebox added, But the smoker 1/2 is smaller in size than the
smokin pro,
what I am wondering is if the smaller size of the smoker still works
as well as the larger
smoker. or is it harder to maintain temperatures, does it draw as well
and the heat and
smoke circulate as well or is it the same in the two units,
The ones that have the smokin pro almost always give good reviews, but
I haven't heard
any on the duo as far as smokin with the side fire box
CC

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 10, 4:19*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Duwop" > wrote in message

> On Apr 10, 3:49 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>
> > "CC" > wrote in message
> > It is a heavy well made unit.

> > Dimitri- Hide quoted text -

> The bigger unit makes for a better grill, more space on a grill gives
> you more cooking options in regards to how close to the coals you want
> your meat. I learned to make my best grilled chicken on the bigger
> Chargiller.
>
> And, you can put the coal pile in the middle and cook two birds at
> once.
>
> Huh....
>
> The bigger unit is 1/2 gas grill and 1/2 charcoal grill. with no side fire
> box
>
> Dimitri

Well shitfire, what'll they think of next?

Mine looked like a modified oil drum cooker, with a firebox bolted on.
No Hank needed.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"CC" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Duwop" > wrote in message
>> On Apr 10, 3:49 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>>> "CC" > wrote in message

>>> It is a heavy well made unit.
>>>
>>> Dimitri- Hide quoted text -

>> The bigger unit makes for a better grill, more space on a grill gives
>> you more cooking options in regards to how close to the coals you want
>> your meat. I learned to make my best grilled chicken on the bigger
>> Chargiller.
>>
>> And, you can put the coal pile in the middle and cook two birds at
>> once.
>>

>> Huh....
>>
>> The bigger unit is 1/2 gas grill and 1/2 charcoal grill. with no side
>> fire box
>>
>> Dimitri

> That's true, as far as total length of the unit, but the 1/2 gas, 1/2
> charcoal (duo) can
> have the firebox added, But the smoker 1/2 is smaller in size than the
> smokin pro,
> what I am wondering is if the smaller size of the smoker still works as
> well as the larger
> smoker. or is it harder to maintain temperatures, does it draw as well and
> the heat and
> smoke circulate as well or is it the same in the two units,
> The ones that have the smokin pro almost always give good reviews, but I
> haven't heard
> any on the duo as far as smokin with the side fire box
> CC

How much is the Chargriller Duo, and where did you find one? I can't find
anything on the internet.
Lots of retailers carry Chargriller. I don't see any that specifically have
the Duo.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
CC CC is offline

"Theron" > wrote in message

> "CC" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dimitri" > wrote in message

>>> The bigger unit makes for a better grill, more space on a grill
>>> gives
>>> you more cooking options in regards to how close to the coals you
>>> want
>>> your meat. I learned to make my best grilled chicken on the bigger
>>> Chargiller.
>>>
>>> And, you can put the coal pile in the middle and cook two birds at
>>> once.
>>>

>>> Huh....
>>>
>>> The bigger unit is 1/2 gas grill and 1/2 charcoal grill. with no
>>> side fire box
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> That's true, as far as total length of the unit, but the 1/2 gas,
>> 1/2 charcoal (duo) can
>> have the firebox added, But the smoker 1/2 is smaller in size than
>> the smokin pro,
>> what I am wondering is if the smaller size of the smoker still
>> works as well as the larger
>> smoker. or is it harder to maintain temperatures, does it draw as
>> well and the heat and
>> smoke circulate as well or is it the same in the two units,
>> The ones that have the smokin pro almost always give good reviews,
>> but I haven't heard
>> any on the duo as far as smokin with the side fire box
>> CC
>>>

> How much is the Chargriller Duo, and where did you find one? I
> can't find anything on the internet.
> Lots of retailers carry Chargriller. I don't see any that
> specifically have the Duo.
>
> Ed

In the Tidewater area of Virginia, Lowe's has them off and on, and can
order
them if not in stock, They run about $300 without the side firebox,
That costs
about 50 - 60$, Prices give or take last time I saw one, within a
month or so.
The Chargriller site says the duo is not offered online but only at
retailers. Amazon
shows them not available right now, Wally World also carries some
Chargrillers, but I
don't go there much so I don't know if they have them now.
CC

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"CC" > wrote in message
news
>I need a new gas grill and also want a charcoal grill and smoker,
> It looks like the Char-Griller duo will fit my needs the most and in my
> price range,
> The duo smoker is smaller than the smokin pro. Other than amount of
> meat it will hold, will the duo cook (smoke) as well as the Pro, Assuming
> mods
> made on both, Or is the duo being smaller and shorter in length make it
> harder to control
> Or am I better off getting a gas grill and the smokin pro separately. The
> size of the duo
> is big enough for my needs, if it will perform as well as the smokin pro.
>
> Chargriller Duo
> http://www.chargriller.com/store/pro...products_id=29
>
> Smokin Pro
> http://www.chargriller.com/store/pro...9b2e2c14013c3e
>
> thanks for any thoughts or experience with these units
> CC

I have used the Duo for two years now and have enjoyed it emensely.
Definately do the mods.

Pros: Use it all year, grilling stuff over gas or charcoal.
Is still in excellent condition (in the weather).
grates are great for searing.
Easy to clean (get a wide brush triangle shaped and bend it to
match the curve of the Barrels)
I have even used the warming plate on the side fire box, works
great.
the side burner is an excellent chimney starter.
Lump tray is easy to dump and refill.
3 hour burn with good lump.
Side fire box is a handy little grill in itself.
Have only had to spot clean it so far, deep clean is coming
soon though.
Can smoke two shoulders and 4 racks of spares.

Cons: Wheels are whimpy but still ok
Had to put it together from the ground up (not to tough)
Smaller smoking area than the smokin pro
Gas grill is good, not excellent at evenly cooking meats (ok
after familierizing)
Basket in side fire box is showing sign of age (1 or 2 more
years and will need to replace basket)
Grease drips on patio ocasionally.

Overall: Great for what it is. Very versatile unit that performs well
for me.

Here is mine: http://www.geocities.com/jrpitzner/BBQ.html

Not much band width on this account, try again after an hour if it goes
down...

Joseph

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
CC CC is offline

"Joseph" > wrote in message

> "CC" > wrote in message
> news
>>I need a new gas grill and also want a charcoal grill and smoker,
>> It looks like the Char-Griller duo will fit my needs the most and
>> in my
>> price range,
>> The duo smoker is smaller than the smokin pro. Other than amount of
>> meat it will hold, will the duo cook (smoke) as well as the Pro,
>> Assuming
>> mods
>> made on both, Or is the duo being smaller and shorter in length
>> make it
>> harder to control
>> Or am I better off getting a gas grill and the smokin pro
>> separately. The
>> size of the duo
>> is big enough for my needs, if it will perform as well as the
>> smokin pro.
>>
>> Chargriller Duo
>> http://www.chargriller.com/store/pro...products_id=29
>>
>> Smokin Pro
>> http://www.chargriller.com/store/pro...9b2e2c14013c3e
>>
>> thanks for any thoughts or experience with these units
>> CC

> I have used the Duo for two years now and have enjoyed it
> emensely.
> Definately do the mods.
>
> Pros: Use it all year, grilling stuff over gas or charcoal.
> Is still in excellent condition (in the weather).
> grates are great for searing.
> Easy to clean (get a wide brush triangle shaped and
> bend it to
> match the curve of the Barrels)
> I have even used the warming plate on the side fire
> box, works
> great.
> the side burner is an excellent chimney starter.
> Lump tray is easy to dump and refill.
> 3 hour burn with good lump.
> Side fire box is a handy little grill in itself.
> Have only had to spot clean it so far, deep clean is
> coming
> soon though.
> Can smoke two shoulders and 4 racks of spares.
>
> Cons: Wheels are whimpy but still ok
> Had to put it together from the ground up (not to
> tough)
> Smaller smoking area than the smokin pro
> Gas grill is good, not excellent at evenly cooking
> meats (ok
> after familierizing)
> Basket in side fire box is showing sign of age (1 or 2
> more
> years and will need to replace basket)
> Grease drips on patio ocasionally.
>
> Overall: Great for what it is. Very versatile unit that
> performs well
> for me.
>
> Here is mine: http://www.geocities.com/jrpitzner/BBQ.html
>
> Not much band width on this account, try again after an hour if
> it goes
> down...
>
> Joseph

Thanks for all the information Joseph, and the link to the pictures
Looks like your duo is doing a good job for you
CC