Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Chargriller Smokin Pro Fire management

I just got this thing after looking at all the reviews, I've used it a
couple of times but I am having trouble getting the unit to get above
200degF (90degF outside). I built a charcoal basket for it out of some
fencing wire which I thought would help to "contain" the charcoal and
get better heat control, but its not working. The only way I was able
to get to the target temperature range (225-250) was with log wood.

Any advice for the Smokin' n00b on fire management with charcoal?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 19, 5:23 pm, Dave Turner > wrote:
> Dave Turner wrote:
> > wrote:
> >> I just got this thing after looking at all the reviews, I've used it a
> >> couple of times but I am having trouble getting the unit to get above
> >> 200degF (90degF outside). I built a charcoal basket for it out of some
> >> fencing wire which I thought would help to "contain" the charcoal and
> >> get better heat control, but its not working. The only way I was able
> >> to get to the target temperature range (225-250) was with log wood.

> >> Any advice for the Smokin' n00b on fire management with charcoal?

> > Yipee!!! I'm the first one who gets to ask "What thing?"

> No, seriously, have you got the dampers open? there might be 3 of em
> according to the pic's.

The Chargriller Smokin' Pro has one damper on the side of the fire
box. I've had the damper full open and I'm lucky to hit 200degF. I've
thought about just loading the thing up with charcoal, but then I
thought that too much may starve the fire of needed air.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> On Aug 19, 5:23 pm, Dave Turner > wrote:
>> Dave Turner wrote:
>>> Yipee!!! I'm the first one who gets to ask "What thing?"

>> No, seriously, have you got the dampers open? there might be 3 of em
>> according to the pic's.

> The Chargriller Smokin' Pro has one damper on the side of the fire
> box. I've had the damper full open and I'm lucky to hit 200degF. I've
> thought about just loading the thing up with charcoal, but then I
> thought that too much may starve the fire of needed air.

Mike,
I'm a noob myself, but I have used that style of smoker/griller at work,
and it had a damper on the side of the firebox, a damper in the
passageway from the firebox to the main drum, and a damper (or weather
flap) on the chimney. Check if that is the case on yours, if so, they
all 3 have to be open and the temp. would be controlled by the one on
the side of the firebox.

Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> I just got this thing after looking at all the reviews, I've used it a
> couple of times but I am having trouble getting the unit to get above
> 200degF (90degF outside). I built a charcoal basket for it out of some
> fencing wire which I thought would help to "contain" the charcoal and
> get better heat control, but its not working. The only way I was able
> to get to the target temperature range (225-250) was with log wood.
>
> Any advice for the Smokin' n00b on fire management with charcoal?

On an offset, of any kind, I start out with plain old seasoned oak.
Build a fire larger than you think you will need. Top damper wide open,
as with the bottom.

LET IT BURN DOWN. To coals, that is. Adjust lower damper for temp, and
put the meat on. When you get a significant temperature drop, open the
firebox, and chuck in a log. (Maybe 2 if you need to.) Get the hopper
shut. Pretty soon you will get a feel for how much, and how often.

You are putting a very small amount of dried, seasoned wood, on a hotter
than hell bed of coals. If your wood is dry, and at least a year old,
you won't get any measurable creosote, or other nasties. If you do, you
need more patience for your woodpile to season.

If you have no choice but to use a greener wood, leave the firebox
hopper open a inch or two for 5 or 10 minutes. In a really hot fire,
volatiles cook off pretty rapidly.

You can also keep a fire going on the ground, and shovel in some coals
when you need heat. (It's more work, but cleaner.)

In a Chargriller sized firebox, I would be using 3 inch diameter pieces,
get coals going with 6 or so, and add one at a time when needed.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19-Aug-2007, wrote:

> On Aug 19, 5:23 pm, Dave Turner > wrote:
> > Dave Turner wrote:

> > > Yipee!!! I'm the first one who gets to ask "What thing?"

> > No, seriously, have you got the dampers open? there might be 3 of em
> > according to the pic's.

> The Chargriller Smokin' Pro has one damper on the side of the fire
> box. I've had the damper full open and I'm lucky to hit 200degF. I've
> thought about just loading the thing up with charcoal, but then I
> thought that too much may starve the fire of needed air.

You said that you made a charcoal basket for it, to "contain" the charcoal.
Is it possible that you're letting the air go around the charcoal instead of
up through it from the bottom? You need actual draft up through the charcoal
to be effective. I've had a problem with some terrible charcoal also. One
bag I had just wouldn't get hot, but it was an off brand. Something like
"Grill Time" or some such. As much as I hate Kingsford, at least it burns.

--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19-Aug-2007, Shawn Martin > wrote:

> wrote:
> > I just got this thing after looking at all the reviews, I've used it a
> > couple of times but I am having trouble getting the unit to get above
> > 200degF (90degF outside). I built a charcoal basket for it out of some
> > fencing wire which I thought would help to "contain" the charcoal and
> > get better heat control, but its not working. The only way I was able
> > to get to the target temperature range (225-250) was with log wood.
> >
> > Any advice for the Smokin' n00b on fire management with charcoal?
> >

> On an offset, of any kind, I start out with plain old seasoned oak.
> Build a fire larger than you think you will need. Top damper wide open,
> as with the bottom.
>
> LET IT BURN DOWN. To coals, that is. Adjust lower damper for temp, and
> put the meat on. When you get a significant temperature drop, open the
> firebox, and chuck in a log. (Maybe 2 if you need to.) Get the hopper
> shut. Pretty soon you will get a feel for how much, and how often.
>
> You are putting a very small amount of dried, seasoned wood, on a hotter
> than hell bed of coals. If your wood is dry, and at least a year old,
> you won't get any measurable creosote, or other nasties. If you do, you
> need more patience for your woodpile to season.
>
> If you have no choice but to use a greener wood, leave the firebox
> hopper open a inch or two for 5 or 10 minutes. In a really hot fire,
> volatiles cook off pretty rapidly.
>
> You can also keep a fire going on the ground, and shovel in some coals
> when you need heat. (It's more work, but cleaner.)
>
> In a Chargriller sized firebox, I would be using 3 inch diameter pieces,
> get coals going with 6 or so, and add one at a time when needed.

Shawn speaks true. I quit using that kind of fire though because it was
too much trouble. I use only lump when I can get it for a decent price
and briquettes otherwise. I have access to decent priced Royal Oak
and that ain't too bad. It sounds to my though like you're just not
getting decent airflow through the fire.

--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 19, 8:53 pm, "Brick" > wrote:

> The last Smokin Pro I looked at left a lot to be desired in >the craftsman-
> ship department. Make sure that your lid fits snugly. If >it's leaking a lot of air, you'll never be able to get any >decent draft to the fire. Check for leaks all over the >machine. Everything should fit snugly. Some of the
> recent smokers I've seen at Lowe's and at Home Depot >are sheer junk.

Ditto everything Brick said.

And I hope you put your unit together yourself to make sure everything
was put together correctly, all nuts and bolts were used as described
(in those limp instructions) and that all pieces were adjusted and fit
correctly.

I can literally maintain 250 in mine for about 3 - 3.5 hours with the
vent at about 1/4 open on the firebox. With it open about half way it
will get to 300 and stay there for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours. I did all
the mods on it found on Raichlen's site, and they were worth the
time. I put an extension on the chimney to get the exhaust level back
down to the grill, and two candy thermometers, one on each side of the
grill to monitor grill surface temp.

Here's a link, and notice there are about 185 pages of ideas and
opinions on this piece of equipment. Read the first hundred posts,
and maybe the last hndred, and you should get what you need from it.

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1467

The most important thing I can think of with this pit is to increase
the charcoal basket size. I bought a really large chrome table
display fruit basket, and it holds around 8 pounds of charcoal/wood at
a crack. A lot of guys have gone to Target or Walmart and bought
large wire baskets to use.

I take the iron grills out of the firebox, and turn their charcoal
upside down so that it raises it higher off the bottom of the box.
With the grates out and the basket upside down, I put my own basket in
the firebox with holds more fuel and lets more ash fall through.

Lighting the CG is critical, and this method works great:
I put about 6-7 pounds of charcoal and wood mix in the basket, and
leave an open crater in the middle. In my starter chimney (this will
not work with fluid), I put about 20 briquettes and light them off.
When they are all orange, I pour them in the middle of the crater,
filling up the fuel basket up in a mound. If I miss calculate a
little and I am short of filling the basket to a mound I toss more
briquettes in as needed.

I leave the pit chimney all the way open, and the vents all the way
closed. You will see the temps go up immediately. In about 20
minutes or so I will be up to about 275 on the side away from the
firebox, and then I put in butts or brisket on that side. Opening the
door and putting in a cold brisket will handle and temp spikes,
believe me. As long as I keep it at 250 - 275, I am happy and the
smoker is happy. It will cruise at that temp for a good three hours
which is when I do my first opening to look at the meat and make sure
everything is going according to plan.

Which brings up the temperature gauge on these things. Total junk.
The best use of the factory temp gauge is to fill the hole in the
hood. Mine is one of the better ones, and it is off about 35
degrees. There is no telling where yours might actually be temp
wise. If you are looking at the original POS, them you might actually
be at temp and not know it!

Do yourself a favor and at least buy yourself a couple of thermometers
and put them in. I bought two Taylor candy thermometers, with a
seven inch stem on them, and if the grill is full I just pull them out
a little so they stick out on the outside rather than the inside.

I have a WSM too, but these are two different animals. Two weeks ago
I put in 6 REALLY large racks of baby backs and when they were an hour
and a half out, I put in 18 pieces (1 1/4" x 8") of sausage. It took
about 5 hours for all that to cook, and it only took one reload of
fuel. For a little more smoke I threw in some small mesquite chunks
once or twice, but that was it. To reload, I put about 20 briquettes
in the chimney, fired up to orange, and then filled the chimney to
just a little under full with unlit briquettes and lump. Pour in
basket, shut door, sit back down.

On the WSM, it doesn't have near the capacity. Most of the BB racks
(I realize I could have cut them) were longer than the WSM is wide.
To me, the beauty of the WSM is the long smoke like brisket or butts.
Plenty of room for both of those in the WSM. But for a short smoke
(less than 8 - 10 hours) and great capacity it is sure hard to beat
the Chargriller. On the other hand, it is impossible to beat the WSM
for putting on your meat the night before and having it ready for a
late lunch the next day with little or no adjustment.

Robert