Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Foiling ribs...

Ok, six racks of baby backs in the smoker now. Two are now wrapped, one with
sauce, the other without. The other four racks being done the way I've
always done them. Souped up baked beans in a pot under the ribs, catching
all the good juices(and yes, grease! LOL). Hey, they're not healthy, but
they're DAMN good done that way.

I'll report on the results tomorrow.

Oh, pot of homemade bbq sauce sitting there too, for anyone who wants sauce.
At least 3 racks, some beans and some sauce are going to a pool league party
with me tonight, get some "strangers" opinions on the ribs, etc. as well.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

43fan wrote:

> Ok, six racks of baby backs in the smoker now. Two are now wrapped, one with
> sauce, the other without. The other four racks being done the way I've
> always done them. Souped up baked beans in a pot under the ribs, catching
> all the good juices(and yes, grease! LOL). Hey, they're not healthy, but
> they're DAMN good done that way.
>
> I'll report on the results tomorrow.
>
> Oh, pot of homemade bbq sauce sitting there too, for anyone who wants sauce.
> At least 3 racks, some beans and some sauce are going to a pool league party
> with me tonight, get some "strangers" opinions on the ribs, etc. as well.

Sounds reasonably scientific, six samples from hopefully the same lot,
four as control, two as test subjects, and some unbiased testers for the
analysis. Make up some rate-the-ribs questionnaires for the testers to
fill out.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

43fan wrote:
> Ok, six racks of baby backs in the smoker now. Two are now wrapped, one with
> sauce, the other without. The other four racks being done the way I've
> always done them. Souped up baked beans in a pot under the ribs, catching
> all the good juices(and yes, grease! LOL). Hey, they're not healthy, but
> they're DAMN good done that way.
>
> I'll report on the results tomorrow.
>
> Oh, pot of homemade bbq sauce sitting there too, for anyone who wants sauce.
> At least 3 racks, some beans and some sauce are going to a pool league party
> with me tonight, get some "strangers" opinions on the ribs, etc. as well.

I look forward to hearing your opinion of the results. For the life of
me, I can see no advantage in cooking foiled ribs in a smoker, on a
grill or in an oven. Actually, I think it'd be the same if you tightly
foiled them and boiled them. I mean no disrespect in that statement,
but IMHO, the foil is a total barrier to smoke, leaving the only
variable to be heat.

--
Nonny

Nonnymus-
A liberal is someone who feels a great debt
to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to
pay off with your money.
-G. Gordon Liddy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus > wrote in :

> I look forward to hearing your opinion of the results. For the life of
> me, I can see no advantage in cooking foiled ribs in a smoker, on a
> grill or in an oven. Actually, I think it'd be the same if you tightly
> foiled them and boiled them. I mean no disrespect in that statement,
> but IMHO, the foil is a total barrier to smoke, leaving the only
> variable to be heat.

In my experience, most BBQ'ers who use foil only use the foil for 1/4 to
1/3 of the time the meat is in the grill. If they left the meat in foil the
entire time, you'd be correct and there would be no reason to bother with
smoke.

--
Ask Me Why I support Stem Cell Research
http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/faqs.asp

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"43fan" > wrote in message
> Ok, six racks of baby backs in the smoker now. Two are now wrapped, one
> with sauce, the other without. The other four racks being done the way
> I've always done them. Souped up baked beans in a pot under the ribs,
> catching all the good juices(and yes, grease! LOL). Hey, they're not
> healthy, but they're DAMN good done that way.
>
> I'll report on the results tomorrow.
>
> Oh, pot of homemade bbq sauce sitting there too, for anyone who wants
> sauce. At least 3 racks, some beans and some sauce are going to a pool
> league party with me tonight, get some "strangers" opinions on the ribs,
> etc. as well.

WELL?

results?

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Barry Bean wrote:
> Nonnymus > wrote in :
>
>> I look forward to hearing your opinion of the results. For the life of
>> me, I can see no advantage in cooking foiled ribs in a smoker, on a
>> grill or in an oven. Actually, I think it'd be the same if you tightly
>> foiled them and boiled them. I mean no disrespect in that statement,
>> but IMHO, the foil is a total barrier to smoke, leaving the only
>> variable to be heat.

> In my experience, most BBQ'ers who use foil only use the foil for 1/4 to
> 1/3 of the time the meat is in the grill. If they left the meat in foil the
> entire time, you'd be correct and there would be no reason to bother with
> smoke.

A popular method of doing spares is the 3-2-1 method, or 3-1.5-1.5 or
some variant of that

example:

3hr on the grate
2hrs in foil, adding some apple juice or whatever
1hr back on the grate to crisp

Now, as we all know. Q's done when it's done. There ain't no such thing
as an accurate time specification for it so that's just a guide.

I haven't tried it yet, but may at some time just to have a valid
personal experience so I can formulate my own first-hand opinion.

I've never heard of anyone doing BB's that way but I suppose there has
been some

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"43fan" > wrote in message
> Ok, six racks of baby backs in the smoker now. Two are now wrapped, one
> with sauce, the other without. The other four racks being done the way
> I've always done them. Souped up baked beans in a pot under the ribs,
> catching all the good juices(and yes, grease! LOL). Hey, they're not
> healthy, but they're DAMN good done that way.
>
> I'll report on the results tomorrow.
>
> Oh, pot of homemade bbq sauce sitting there too, for anyone who wants
> sauce. At least 3 racks, some beans and some sauce are going to a pool
> league party with me tonight, get some "strangers" opinions on the ribs,
> etc. as well.

Sorry for the long time til the results. I have to admit,the foiled ribs
turned out really good. I think partially due though to the fact that I
didn't actually have them foiled and cooking as long as I originally
intended. My wife loved the ones that were sauced and foiled especially,
the sauce itself got very thick and somewhat caramelized without burning.

Myself I still prefer the dry ribs with no foil though. Got rave reviews on
them at the pool league party too. Four full racks went and although I know
that's not really that many ribs(heck, can almost eat that many myself! LOL)
they were gone in about 10min, with the owner of the bar asking if he could
buy more ribs and have me smoke them for him for the next party.

All in all, I think it's probably the same with this as it is for other
foods as well, to each their own. For my wife and her family, the foiled
ribs were the best they'd ever had, or so they said anyway. For myself, the
unfoiled ones are still the preferred, and although I didn't have any of the
foiled ones for my friends to taste, they certainly weren't disappointed in
the ones I had there.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> 43fan wrote:
>> Ok, six racks of baby backs in the smoker now. Two are now wrapped, one
>> with sauce, the other without. The other four racks being done the way
>> I've always done them. Souped up baked beans in a pot under the ribs,
>> catching all the good juices(and yes, grease! LOL). Hey, they're not
>> healthy, but they're DAMN good done that way.
>>
>> I'll report on the results tomorrow.
>>
>> Oh, pot of homemade bbq sauce sitting there too, for anyone who wants
>> sauce. At least 3 racks, some beans and some sauce are going to a pool
>> league party with me tonight, get some "strangers" opinions on the ribs,
>> etc. as well.
>>

> I look forward to hearing your opinion of the results. For the life of
> me, I can see no advantage in cooking foiled ribs in a smoker, on a grill
> or in an oven. Actually, I think it'd be the same if you tightly foiled
> them and boiled them. I mean no disrespect in that statement, but IMHO,
> the foil is a total barrier to smoke, leaving the only variable to be
> heat.

Nonny, the ribs were smoked for about 2+hrs without foil first. Then one
full rack was foiled with no sauce, the other rack I spread sauce on and
then foiled. Both back in the smoker for the remainder of the cook.

> --
> Nonny
>
> Nonnymus-
> A liberal is someone who feels a great debt
> to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to
> pay off with your money.
> -G. Gordon Liddy

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"43fan" > wrote in message

<snip>

> Sorry for the long time til the results. I have to admit,the foiled ribs
> turned out really good. I think partially due though to the fact that I
> didn't actually have them foiled and cooking as long as I originally
> intended. My wife loved the ones that were sauced and foiled especially,
> the sauce itself got very thick and somewhat caramelized without burning.
>
> Myself I still prefer the dry ribs with no foil though. Got rave reviews
> on them at the pool league party too. Four full racks went and although I
> know that's not really that many ribs(heck, can almost eat that many
> myself! LOL) they were gone in about 10min, with the owner of the bar
> asking if he could buy more ribs and have me smoke them for him for the
> next party.
>
> All in all, I think it's probably the same with this as it is for other
> foods as well, to each their own. For my wife and her family, the foiled
> ribs were the best they'd ever had, or so they said anyway. For myself,
> the unfoiled ones are still the preferred, and although I didn't have any
> of the foiled ones for my friends to taste, they certainly weren't
> disappointed in the ones I had there.

Thanks for the update - Maybe you've discovered a new side-line. If that is
the chase check with your Insurance agent if you plan to sell any food.
Liability becomes an issue if you sell food.

All the best,

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

43fan wrote:
> "Nonnymus" > wrote in message

total barrier to smoke, leaving the only variable to be
>> heat.
>>

> Nonny, the ribs were smoked for about 2+hrs without foil first. Then one
> full rack was foiled with no sauce, the other rack I spread sauce on and
> then foiled. Both back in the smoker for the remainder of the cook.

Thanks for the information. We like KC style here on occasion. It
sounds like a good way to sauce the ribs when cooking to get it into the
meat and a bit of carmalizing without much effort. I'll give it a try
next time I do some.

--
Nonnymus-

Some folk say that Southern good old boys
aren’t too smart. To that, let me remind you
that anyone who builds a city 10’ BELOW sea level
and fills it with Democrats can’t be too dumb.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dimitri wrote:

> "43fan" > wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>

> > Sorry for the long time til the results. I have to admit,the foiled ribs
> > turned out really good. I think partially due though to the fact that I
> > didn't actually have them foiled and cooking as long as I originally
> > intended. My wife loved the ones that were sauced and foiled especially,
> > the sauce itself got very thick and somewhat caramelized without burning.
> >
> > Myself I still prefer the dry ribs with no foil though. Got rave reviews
> > on them at the pool league party too. Four full racks went and although I
> > know that's not really that many ribs(heck, can almost eat that many
> > myself! LOL) they were gone in about 10min, with the owner of the bar
> > asking if he could buy more ribs and have me smoke them for him for the
> > next party.
> >
> > All in all, I think it's probably the same with this as it is for other
> > foods as well, to each their own. For my wife and her family, the foiled
> > ribs were the best they'd ever had, or so they said anyway. For myself,
> > the unfoiled ones are still the preferred, and although I didn't have any
> > of the foiled ones for my friends to taste, they certainly weren't
> > disappointed in the ones I had there.

> Thanks for the update - Maybe you've discovered a new side-line. If that is
> the chase check with your Insurance agent if you plan to sell any food.
> Liability becomes an issue if you sell food.
>
> All the best,
>
> Dimitri

These days liability becomes an issue if you do much more than
breathe... Insurance companies suck, but you gotta have good coverage.