Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default BBQ and smoking in the Netherlands

After smoking for eight years now, it is time to further
professionalize and promote the art of smoking and BBQing. July 1st we
started “the Dutch guild of BBQers and smoker” (het Nederlands gilde
van BBQ-ers en rokers).
Looking at the Dutch responses in this group, you should have figured
out that BBQ and smoking is not a big thing in the Netherlands (yet).
We hope to change that. We have a website to share our experience
(www.rokersgilde.nl). Since we have a national focus, the site will be
in Dutch. Currently we have 4 members but we do hope to grow ;-)

Adriaan

The Netherlands
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"A. Kesteloo" > wrote:
> After smoking for eight years now, it is time to further
> professionalize and promote the art of smoking and BBQing. July 1st we
> started "the Dutch guild of BBQers and smokers" (het Nederlands gilde
> van BBQ-ers en rokers).
> Looking at the Dutch responses in this group, you should have figured
> out that BBQ and smoking is not a big thing in the Netherlands (yet).
> We hope to change that. We have a website to share our experience
> (www.rokersgilde.nl). Since we have a national focus, the site will be
> in Dutch. Currently we have 4 members but we do hope to grow ;-)

That's wonderful, Adriaane! I went to your web site, but it was all Greek
to me! I know we have at least three Dutchies posting here. Maybe more will
come out of the tulip fields! Please get as many as possible to post pics
on alt.binaries.food, even if they do take a little guff for not posting in
English. Thanks for advising us of this. "Smokers of the world unite!"

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > "A. Kesteloo" > wrote:
> >> After smoking for eight years now, it is time to further
> >> professionalize and promote the art of smoking and BBQing. July 1st
> >> we started "the Dutch guild of BBQers and smokers" (het Nederlands
> >> gilde van BBQ-ers en rokers).
> >> Looking at the Dutch responses in this group, you should have figured
> >> out that BBQ and smoking is not a big thing in the Netherlands (yet).
> >> We hope to change that. We have a website to share our experience
> >> (www.rokersgilde.nl). Since we have a national focus, the site will
> >> be in Dutch. Currently we have 4 members but we do hope to grow ;-)

> > That's wonderful, Adriaane! I went to your web site, but it was all
> > Greek to me! I know we have at least three Dutchies posting here.
> > Maybe more will come out of the tulip fields! Please get as many as
> > possible to post pics on alt.binaries.food, even if they do take a
> > little guff for not posting in English. Thanks for advising us of
> > this. "Smokers of the world unite!"

> Excellent effort. I would add regarding ABF that unless the group charter
> specifically says its an English language group only, then its acceptable
> to post in any language, even though the most effective posts will be
> those in the language most common to the group. Where I have wanted to
> read a post in another language, I have used one of the many free online
> translators.
>
> I like the idea of a worldwide barbecue community.

AFAIK AFB & ABF are not English-only NGs, although some people get a little
ticked off about foreign language posts. A.f.b & a.b.f have posters from
many countries. I think that's great. We all get to learn different terms,
techniques and cultures. Plus, I've seen some Q and beer pics with great
backgrounds!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> Excellent effort. I would add regarding ABF that unless the group
> charter specifically says its an English language group only, then
> its acceptable to post in any language, even though the most
> effective posts will be those in the language most common to the
> group. Where I have wanted to read a post in another language, I have
> used one of the many free online translators.

It really shouldn't have to say it. Language specific newsgroups exist.
German, French, Neders, Spanish, etc. This is an English-language newsgroup.
If I wanted to post to a german-language cooking group, I would expect to
post in german or recieve a negative reaction from that group's users. By
the same token, I would expect anyone from any country to have the courtesy
to engage this ng using English.

> I like the idea of a worldwide barbecue community.

It already exists.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-Jul-2008, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > "A. Kesteloo" > wrote:
> >> After smoking for eight years now, it is time to further
> >> professionalize and promote the art of smoking and BBQing. July
> >> 1st
> >> we started "the Dutch guild of BBQers and smokers" (het
> >> Nederlands
> >> gilde van BBQ-ers en rokers).
> >> Looking at the Dutch responses in this group, you should have
> >> figured
> >> out that BBQ and smoking is not a big thing in the Netherlands
> >> (yet).
> >> We hope to change that. We have a website to share our
> >> experience
> >> (www.rokersgilde.nl). Since we have a national focus, the site
> >> will
> >> be in Dutch. Currently we have 4 members but we do hope to grow
> >> ;-)

> > That's wonderful, Adriaane! I went to your web site, but it was
> > all
> > Greek to me! I know we have at least three Dutchies posting
> > here.
> > Maybe more will come out of the tulip fields! Please get as many
> > as
> > possible to post pics on alt.binaries.food, even if they do take
> > little guff for not posting in English. Thanks for advising us
> > of
> > this. "Smokers of the world unite!"

> Excellent effort. I would add regarding ABF that unless the group
> charter
> specifically says its an English language group only, then its
> acceptable to
> post in any language, even though the most effective posts will be
> those in
> the language most common to the group. Where I have wanted to read
> a post in
> another language, I have used one of the many free online
> translators.
>
> I like the idea of a worldwide barbecue community.
>
> MartyB in KC

The alt.binaries.food charter contains nothing about language. It is

specifically chartered as a forum to display pictures in support of
all the other food related groups. It was never intended to be a
discussion forum.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 10, 6:46*am, "Brick" > wrote:
> On *9-Jul-2008, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
>

> > Nick Cramer wrote:

> > > That's wonderful, Adriaane! I went to your web site, but it was
> > > all
> > > Greek to me! I know we have at least three Dutchies posting
> > > here.
> > > Maybe more will come out of the tulip fields! Please get as many
> > > as
> > > possible to post pics on alt.binaries.food, even if they do take
> > > little guff for not posting in English. Thanks for advising us
> > > of
> > > this. "Smokers of the world unite!"

> > Excellent effort. I would add regarding ABF that unless the group
> > charter
> > specifically says its an English language group only, then its
> > acceptable to
> > post in any language, even though the most effective posts will be
> > those in
> > the language most common to the group. Where I have wanted to read
> > a post in
> > another language, I have used one of the many free online
> > translators.

> > I like the idea of a worldwide barbecue community.

> > MartyB in KC

> The alt.binaries.food charter contains nothing about language. It is
>
> specifically chartered as a forum to display pictures in support of
> all the other food related groups. It was never intended to be a
> discussion forum.
>
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)- Hide quoted text -

I wouldn't mind a bit, as long as they kept Dutch to Dutch only
threads.

Most of em probably speak better english than they can write. That's
how it usually is for 2nd or 3rd languages. And english is
notoriously difficult to spell as well.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tutall > wrote:
> On Jul 10, 6:46=A0am, "Brick" > wrote:

> I wouldn't mind a bit, as long as they kept Dutch to Dutch only
> threads.

I would add introductory threads to that, as well.

> Most of em probably speak better english than they can write. That's
> how it usually is for 2nd or 3rd languages. And english is
> notoriously difficult to spell as well.

Some of our foreign posters have poor spelling and grammar, as do some of
our American posters. As long as I can figure out what they're talking
about, I have no problem with that!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>>
>>> Excellent effort. I would add regarding ABF that unless the group
>>> charter specifically says its an English language group only, then
>>> its acceptable to post in any language, even though the most
>>> effective posts will be those in the language most common to the
>>> group. Where I have wanted to read a post in another language, I
>>> have used one of the many free online translators.

>> It really shouldn't have to say it. Language specific newsgroups
>> exist. German, French, Neders, Spanish, etc. This is an
>> English-language newsgroup. If I wanted to post to a german-language
>> cooking group, I would expect to post in german or recieve a negative
>> reaction from that group's users. By the same token, I would expect
>> anyone from any country to have the courtesy to engage this ng using
>> English.

> That's how you feel but that's not the same answer I got when
> consulting several network "guru" types. The consensus was that if it
> doesn't prohibit multi-lingual posts, they are not against the group
> charter.

How did I say any different? I used the words "courtesy", "negative
reaction"; I said nothing about prohibition.

> In any case in the case of criticism, it strikes me that
> those are the people who are not going to translate, either the
> poster or the readers. Therefore, posting criticisms, unless in the
> same language as the post, are not going to be understood by the
> person they are intended to criticize, just as the original posts
> will not be understood by the criticizers. Therefore it would seem
> like a waste of time to bother, and just let it go.

Perhaps. But the charter doesn't prohibit such criticisms. So, there we are.
A non-English post is wasting time balanced by the waste of time in
criticizing such postings.

> As far as the worldwide community, I meant one in which everyone
> communicates, rather than being separated by various forms of
> barriers. Its a good thing IMO.

Posting in a foreign language to an English language ng *is* a fundamental
barrier. Having spent three years of my life living in Europe, I'm very
interested in this NG engaging with those from other countries. But in
English.

> The Dutch language posts found Dutch language readers and responses.
> I was also able to follow the thread by using free and easily found
> translators, which I bookmarked for easy future reference.

Good. Then it would be most helpful if you would instruct those posting in
neder on how to avail themselves of those tools so that they can translate
their writings to English prior to posting here.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

It seems there is now a discussion on using non English in this
newsgroup. This was not what I meant. Since the majority of people are
native English speakers, it makes since to post in English (especially
if you want an answer to your questions). The local website that we
have will be in Dutch because we primary focus on Dutch people.

Adriaan

On 11 jul, 02:01, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Some of our foreign posters have poor spelling and grammar, as do
> > some of our American posters. As long as I can figure out what
> > they're talking about, I have no problem with that!

> I see people all the time post in NGs, email lists, and web forums whose
> grammar, spelling, and sentence construction is so bad that its amazing that
> they even make the attempt. It's sometimes actually easier to figure out
> what a foreign poster with marginal English skills is saying, than an
> American product of our lazy backwards educational system. And those
> Americans who post that way seem totally oblivious to the ignorance they
> project for all to see. You would think they would eventually learn to use
> spelling and grammar checkers so as not to look the fool and have their poor
> English be the attraction in their posts rather than the (attempted) meaning
> of their words.
>
> *I would much rather read a post from Europe making a credible attempt to
> write English than I would a post from someone who writes as if they just
> rolled off the back of the turnip truck. <g> (No offense if there are any
> turnip farmers here!)
>
> MartyB in KC

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"A. Kesteloo" > wrote:
> It seems there is now a discussion on using non English in this
> newsgroup. This was not what I meant. Since the majority of people are
> native English speakers, it makes since to post in English (especially
> if you want an answer to your questions). The local website that we
> have will be in Dutch because we primary focus on Dutch people.

[ . . . ]

KEWL, Adriaane! You keep posting here. If you have any pics, post them in
alt.binaries.food. Since I'm not Dutch and neither speak nor understand the
language, I'll only visit your web site in hopes of getting some nice
pictures. ;-)

Any questions you want an answer to?

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> A. Kesteloo wrote:
> > It seems there is now a discussion on using non English in this
> > newsgroup. This was not what I meant. Since the majority of people are
> > native English speakers, it makes since to post in English (especially
> > if you want an answer to your questions). The local website that we
> > have will be in Dutch because we primary focus on Dutch people.

> Understood.
>
> Actually there was another correspondent who posted here in Dutch
> language and got responses in Dutch as well. That's how that element got
> into the discussion.
>
> I'm just glad to see that the art of barbecue is gaining popularity in
> other countries!

It would be interesting (to me, at least) to see how many countries are
represented here. I'll start:

Nick Cramer USA

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
adm adm is offline

On 2008-07-12 00:14:59 +0100, Nick Cramer > said:

> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
>> A. Kesteloo wrote:
>>> It seems there is now a discussion on using non English in this
>>> newsgroup. This was not what I meant. Since the majority of people are
>>> native English speakers, it makes since to post in English (especially
>>> if you want an answer to your questions). The local website that we
>>> have will be in Dutch because we primary focus on Dutch people.

>> Understood.
>>
>> Actually there was another correspondent who posted here in Dutch
>> language and got responses in Dutch as well. That's how that element got
>> into the discussion.
>>
>> I'm just glad to see that the art of barbecue is gaining popularity in
>> other countries!

> It would be interesting (to me, at least) to see how many countries are
> represented here. I'll start:
>
> Nick Cramer USA

UK

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Morten Westh, Skovlunde, Denmark
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

mwesth > wrote:
> Morten Westh, Skovlunde, Denmark

Thanks, Morten.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

adm > wrote:
> On 2008-07-12 00:14:59 +0100, Nick Cramer >

> > It would be interesting (to me, at least) to see how many countries are
> > represented here. I'll start:
> >
> > Nick Cramer USA

> UK

Thanks, adm

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
CC CC is offline

>> It would be interesting (to me, at least) to see how many countries
>> are
>> represented here. I'll start:
>>
>> Nick Cramer USA

> UK

CC USA

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"CC" > wrote in message

>>> It would be interesting (to me, at least) to see how many countries are
>>> represented here. I'll start:
>>>
>>> Nick Cramer USA

>> UK

> CC USA

Dave @ Sydney Australia

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"D&M JOHNSTON" > wrote:

> >> UK

> > CC USA

> Dave @ Sydney Australia

Ten to date: USA, UK, Denmark, The Netherlands (Holland), Canada,
Switzerland, Australia (including Tasmania), Belgium, South Africa,
Germany,

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Thai restaurants in The Netherlands ReneThai Asian Cooking 0 26-03-2008 11:39 AM
[ANN] Sushi-bar guide for the Netherlands Ward Bekker Sushi 9 04-03-2008 05:27 PM
Netherlands Wineries? bwesley8 Wine 1 08-02-2005 10:53 AM
Looking for Fetzer distributor in The Netherlands? interrruptus Wine 0 04-07-2004 02:34 PM