Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default From my archives, Collagen

Kit Anderson wrote this

Collagen

Meats are made of muscle, connective tissue, fat and bone. Muscle contains
proteins and glycogen. As the temperature of the meat increases, glycogen, a
long chain sugar, is reduced to simple sugars. This caramelizes and is
responsible for one of the flavor components.

Proteins (flavorless) are denatured to amino acids, which not only have
flavors themselves, but also undergo Maillard browning reactions which adds
another flavor component.

While bone adds no flavor itself, the marrow is rich in methyglobulin and
other proteins. This reacts with smoke nitrites to give us the smoke ring.
You may have heard that "the sweetest meat is next to the bone". The
proteins are reduced to amino acids. Nutrasweet is an amino acid.

Fat is very simple cells which breakdown to sugars, fatty acids, and
triglycerides at low temperatures.

Collagen is proteins that have lots of side chain bonds. This makes them
elastic. It takes more energy to denature them than the simpler proteins of
muscle tissue. Energy in the form of heat will denature these proteins into
the flavorful amino acids.

If the temperature is too high, the water in the muscle cells and the fat is
rendered out before the collagen melts. This results in dry, tough meat. Too
low and you risk bacterial activity.

Tough cuts of meat like brisket and pork butts benefit from low temperature
cooking as the collagen adds flavor to the meat. Less tough, more expensive
cuts do not need this phase and can be cooked at high temperatures for
shorter periods. That is why ribs take only a few hours and briskets take
20.

Kit Anderson

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

Thanks for the repost, Ed. Kit taught me pretty much everything I know
about the process of how meat cooks. And he makes a hell of a homebrew...

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
> In alt.food.barbecue, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:
>

> Thanks for the repost, Ed. Kit taught me pretty much everything I know
> about the process of how meat cooks. And he makes a hell of a homebrew...

You're welcome. I have a lot of stuff collected and figured it would be good
to share some with others coming along.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
et...

> > wrote in message
>> In alt.food.barbecue, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:
>>

>> Thanks for the repost, Ed. Kit taught me pretty much everything I know
>> about the process of how meat cooks. And he makes a hell of a
>> homebrew...
>>

> You're welcome. I have a lot of stuff collected and figured it would be
> good to share some with others coming along.

I ate my first Habanera pepper with Kit at Danny's. I think it was in '99.
I had my ticket bought for His Q-Fest in 2005, but was getting my right
leg chopped off and missed it.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Kit Anderson wrote this
>
> Collagen

Good info snipped

From your archives to mine :-)

Thanks

BBQ

Collagen mawil1013 Barbecue 17 03-09-2013 09:01 PM
From the archives Reicpes #2 Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 0 16-03-2008 12:51 PM
archives ??? nancy Sourdough 2 14-01-2006 06:00 PM
RFC archives.... John Gaughan General Cooking 1 24-02-2004 04:39 PM
Collagen Casings. Richard Periut General Cooking 3 21-10-2003 05:12 PM