Old 02-09-2013, 05:51 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Collagen

On 7/13/2013 1:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
This was written by Kit Anderson a few years back. Help to understand
what is happening in the bbq process

Collagen

Meats are made of muscle, connective tissue, fat and bone. Muscle
contains proteins and glycogen. As the temperature of the meat
increases, glycogen, a long chain sugar, is reduced to simple sugars.
This caramelizes and is responsible for one of the flavor components.

Proteins (flavorless) are denatured to amino acids, which not only
have flavors themselves, but also undergo Maillard browning reactions
which adds another flavor component.

While bone adds no flavor itself, the marrow is rich in methyglobulin
and other proteins. This reacts with smoke nitrites to give us the
smoke ring. You may have heard that "the sweetest meat is next to the
bone". The proteins are reduced to amino acids. Nutrasweet is an amino
acid.

Fat is very simple cells which breakdown to sugars, fatty acids, and
triglycerides at low temperatures.

Collagen is proteins that have lots of side chain bonds. This makes
them elastic. It takes more energy to denature them than the simpler
proteins of muscle tissue. Energy in the form of heat will denature
these proteins into the flavorful amino acids.

If the temperature is too high, the water in the muscle cells and the
fat is rendered out before the collagen melts. This results in dry,
tough meat. Too low and you risk bacterial activity.

Tough cuts of meat like brisket and pork butts benefit from low
temperature cooking as the collagen adds flavor to the meat. Less
tough, more expensive cuts do not need this phase and can be cooked at
high temperatures for shorter periods. That is why ribs take only a
few hours and briskets take 20.

Ed,
Good to see you still here, looks like your working hard to keep the
topic alive. I had to take a long sabbatical due to the nonsense being
posted. I couldn't stay positive. I'm back and more focused. Hope I can
jump back in an help push the bbq message. I really got cynical after my
wife passed back in 2007, but found my way out, found another love and
wife, moved from SC to NC. Breathing easier now. I hope if I ****ed off
anyone still here that they can excuse my past posts.
Michael (Piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r!)

Old 02-09-2013, 07:50 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9/2/2013 2:29 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 12:51:16 -0400, mawil1013 wrote:

I hope if I ****ed off
anyone still here that they can excuse my past posts.
Michael (Piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r!)

I was trying to remember if you and I were cordial or not ;-) You
weren't the one who went over to alt.religion.kibology with Kevin,
were you?

I've only been on rec.food and here, nothing else.

We're pretty tame these days. We have a few ignored kooks like
Breadbasket/MMKay and a no-life morphing stalker of Marty and I (who
pretends he's not "casa bona/contenta"), but other than that it's
pretty slow and unconfrontational here here.

Yeah, it did appear reasonable here now which was what prompted me to
jump back in.

ObFood: No grill or BBQ today so I have some 1.25" thick pork
porterhouses that are dry-brining which I'll rub and sear in the CI
pan. Corn, broccoli, cucumber-onion salad, and fresh baked bread. At
least that's the plan for now, subject to change.

-sw

Old 02-09-2013, 07:54 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9/2/2013 2:36 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 13:29:46 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

We're pretty tame these days. We have a few ignored kooks like
Breadbasket/MMKay and a no-life morphing stalker of Marty and I (who
pretends he's not "casa bona/contenta"), but other than that it's
pretty slow and unconfrontational here here.

BTW, there's also:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OuthouseBBQ/

A lot of the old-timers can be found there. More than here. And it's
troll and kook-free except for TFM ;-)

-sw

Thanks for the lead but I don't like the format in Google+ nor Facebook,
they come across as billboards and no connections, just me.
I just now browsed OHBBQ on fb but got that sterile feeling.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:09 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Monday, September 2, 2013 11:54:12 AM UTC-7, mawil1013 wrote:

Thanks for the lead but I don't like the format in Google+ nor Facebook,
they come across as billboards and no connections, just me.
I just now browsed OHBBQ on fb but got that sterile feeling.

Ugh, not gonna join facebook for a BBQ group. Welcome back Mike, your stinky dog story is still a favorite of mine.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:40 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
I was trying to remember if you and I were cordial or not

Are you going to stalk him like you did with Omelet, Sqwerty?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
And it's
troll and kook-free except for TFM;-)

-sw

Not if you and shitlips are there...
Old 02-09-2013, 11:06 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
But, hey - if you don't want to be*cool*, then that's fine!;-)

-sw

Go shoot some mayo, ya needle-dick.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:07 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
Same story -
a lot of the old-timers that left Usenet because of people like Casa
Conceited.

-sw

You killed off austin.food and stalked Omelet off the net, ya
needle-dicked little troll.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:51 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

I was trying to remember if you and I were cordial or not ;-) You
weren't the one who went over to alt.religion.kibology with Kevin,
were you?

That was me and I believe I've been cordial with everyone here.

Cam
Old 03-09-2013, 01:55 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

I was trying to remember if you and I were cordial or not ;-) You
weren't the one who went over to alt.religion.kibology with Kevin,
were you?

That was me and I believe I've been cordial with everyone here.

Cam

Take Sqwerty off the list, he's a group killer.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:33 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
No, that wasn't you that came back an asshole.

Someone claim your title there?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:41 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

I was trying to remember if you and I were cordial or not ;-) You

weren't the one who went over to alt.religion.kibology with Kevin,

were you?

That was me and I believe I've been cordial with everyone here.

No, that wasn't you that came back an asshole. I think it was Matthew

Martin now that I think about it.

clickety click

Yeah, that was him. Used to be cool, but then discovered ARK and came

back to troll and crosspost shile Kevin was having his meltdown.

-sw

I think most everyone here has ****ed on or at a neighbor. That what happens when you put a buncha drunks in a room for too long.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:01 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

tutall wrote:
I think most everyone here has ****ed on or at a neighbor. That what happens when you put a buncha drunks in a room for too long.

Ah yes, Sqwerty and Marty's lifestyle choices...