Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Attention pepper lovers in the lower states

There is a new store that has opened up by my office, called
"Everything is .99". Never seen it before. But my guys have already
been there, and they reported back the usual stuff found in a dollar
store. With one exception:

Here in San Antonio, they are selling Hatch peppers ( 1 1/2 pound
packages) as well as Jalepeños (3 pound packages) serranos (3 pound
packages) and really pretty pasillas 3 peppers to a package. All of
this stuff is fresh, packaged, and ready to go. They also have large
bags of dried Mexican oregano, and really large bags of whole dried
ancho peppers, probably about 6 - 8 ozs or so.

They have the large packages of undressed, Del Monte prepackaged slaw,
bags of fresh salad, etc. All for .99 each.

I had to stock up on the peppers as they are so damn good. I am
grilling wings this Sunday, so I will be throwing on a little extra
wood to char up the Hatch peppers for future sauces and dressings.
Love those smoke serranos for hot sauces too, as they have a more
distinct kick than the jalepeño.

This may be a one time thing, or not available in your area. But for
anyone around here that appreciates peppers, this is a great deal.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> There is a new store that has opened up by my office, called
> "Everything is .99". Never seen it before. But my guys have already
> been there, and they reported back the usual stuff found in a dollar
> store. With one exception:
>
> Here in San Antonio, they are selling Hatch peppers ( 1 1/2 pound
> packages) as well as Jalepeños (3 pound packages) serranos (3 pound
> packages) and really pretty pasillas 3 peppers to a package. All of
> this stuff is fresh, packaged, and ready to go. They also have large
> bags of dried Mexican oregano, and really large bags of whole dried
> ancho peppers, probably about 6 - 8 ozs or so.
>
> They have the large packages of undressed, Del Monte prepackaged slaw,
> bags of fresh salad, etc. All for .99 each.
>
> I had to stock up on the peppers as they are so damn good. I am
> grilling wings this Sunday, so I will be throwing on a little extra
> wood to char up the Hatch peppers for future sauces and dressings.
> Love those smoke serranos for hot sauces too, as they have a more
> distinct kick than the jalepeño.
>
> This may be a one time thing, or not available in your area. But for
> anyone around here that appreciates peppers, this is a great deal.
>
> Robert

We have one of those stores that opened here in Harlingen, TX (almost as
far south as you can get before you're in Mexico) and they have fresh
produce, too. I got packages with one red, one yellow and one orange
pepper for 99 cents at ours. They also have a great selection of canned
goods. I got some oriental sauces and canned veggies at ours.

My DH says that I'm the only person he knows who can spend $65 in an
"everything's 99 cents" store. <vbg>

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:

> My DH says that I'm the only person he knows who can spend $65 in an
> "everything's 99 cents" store. <vbg>

LOL!! Just ask him if he'd rather have you spend $165.00 in a 'regular'
store. :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 2, 11:40 am, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> We have one of those stores that opened here in Harlingen, TX (almost as
> far south as you can get before you're in Mexico) and they have fresh
> produce, too. I got packages with one red, one yellow and one orange
> pepper for 99 cents at ours.

I saw all of that stuff. So Janet, have they been around down there
for a while? Can you count on them as a pepper supplier? I noticed
that they only had "packaged by" on the label with no identification
of the origin. Who knows where the peppers originated.

I am wondering if I need to put them on the map as a source for my
peppers I really do make hot sauce by the gallon, as well as sauce
for huevos rancheros, chips, and love the homemade chipotles in a
finishing sauce for pulled pork.

And for ABTs, they had some whopper japs, so I am thinking that maybe
this weekend...

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 4, 5:31 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I'm not over in that part of town very often, but when I am, they
> always seem to have peppers. So, yes. I would consider them a source.

Thanks Janet!

Robert