Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Retaining heat

I smoked a turkey this Thanskgiving and it was suggested that I wrap
the BBQ (have a Chargriller) with a water heater wrap to keep the heat
from escaping. . It was below freezing so I could tell the wrap was
helping retain the heat but when all was done I discoverd the paint on
the BBQ had burned off. While I can repaint the BBQ what did I do
wrong. What can I do to keep this from happening again?

Jerry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 30, 8:23 pm, Gerald Atkin > wrote:
> I smoked a turkey this Thanskgiving and it was suggested that I wrap
> the BBQ (have a Chargriller) with a water heater wrap to keep the heat
> from escaping. . It was below freezing so I could tell the wrap was
> helping retain the heat but when all was done I discoverd the paint on
> the BBQ had burned off. While I can repaint the BBQ what did I do
> wrong. What can I do to keep this from happening again?
>
> Jerry

First off, as another Char-Griller owner, I'd say that you did nothing
wrong, except maybe try too hard, and fuss too much. While the Char-
Grillers are in the class of- "you get what you pay for"- meaning that
the paint will rust, peel, and "you fill in the blank" over time, esp
on the SFB. I still love mine after 2&1/2 years of owning it! If you
do repaint your smoker- it's not a BBQ (BBQ is the product produced by
your smoker that you eventually eat), use radiator paint that can be
found at any local car parts store. It will resist chipping and
peeling, and should be better than the paint originally used. Be sure
to sand the areas being painted first. I grilled our turkey this year
using indirect heat. I live in Ohio, and while it was not real cold-
the temp was about 40F, it was not a factor. I've smoked various meats
using the SFB in cold weather, and the temp was not as much of a
factor as were the high winds. As far as how to keep this from
happening again, I'd suggest that you try again w/o the wrap. You may
need to use more fuel than normal, and the overall cooking time may
increase somewhat, depending on what your smoking. BTW- what type of
fuel are you using? Hopefully you're using lump, also known as natural
charcoal. It burns much hotter that the dreaded briquettes, and is a
superior product, by far!

Good luck, and don't sweat all the details, in spite of the cold
weather! It's not rocket science!

JimnGin
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

MDC wrote:
> Gerald Atkin wrote:
>> I smoked a turkey this Thanskgiving and it was suggested that I wrap
>> the BBQ (have a Chargriller) with a water heater wrap to keep the heat
>> from escaping. . It was below freezing so I could tell the wrap was
>> helping retain the heat but when all was done I discoverd the paint on
>> the BBQ had burned off. While I can repaint the BBQ what did I do
>> wrong. What can I do to keep this from happening again?
>>
>> Jerry

> Did you use a regular fiberglass water heater wrap? I was afraid the
> plastic would melt too easily. I thought about getting some of that
> aluminum "bubble wrap" type insulation they use on duct work to insulate
> mine. Can't find anyone who sells it by the foot though - don't need 100'.

An old quilt works good.
Make it wool, and it would be hard to light up. (but very stinky if you
mamaged)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 1, 9:32 am, MDC > wrote:

I agree with the comment that the OP did nothing wrong. I was
prepared for the paint to peel, so I bought a can of stove paint when
I bought the Chargriller. When I burned out the pit, the firebox lost
almost all the paint on the lid. A quick sanding, clean with mineral
spirits, and then a spritz of paint. No problem.

> Did you use a regular fiberglass water heater wrap? I >was afraid the plastic would melt too easily. I thought >about getting some of that aluminum "bubble wrap" type >insulation they use on duct work to insulate
> mine. Can't find anyone who sells it by the foot though - >don't need 100'.

Mike - no need to go through the expense, and then in the end have a
disposable product. Check this out:

http://tinyurl.com/2qgwnz

The welder's blankets are made for high heat and sparks, and they will
be good for several seasons. These guys are the most affordably
priced blankets I have found. Reasonable on shipping, too. They even
come in different sizes so you could actually drape your pit with the
8'X8'. Just cut a hole out for the chimney.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 00:59:19 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Dec 1, 9:32 am, MDC > wrote:
>>
>> I agree with the comment that the OP did nothing wrong. I was
>> prepared for the paint to peel, so I bought a can of stove paint when
>> I bought the Chargriller.

> Yup. Stove paint. I wouldn't use the radiator paint another poster
> mentioned. I know a tad bit about stoves and the paint for them; for
> over 11 years I've worked for Travis Industries, which makes Lopi,
> Avalon, and Fireplace Xtrordinair fireplaces and stoves (gas, pellet,
> wood, and now electric, too). We buy Stove Bright by the case for
> touchup. I'm not sure just what the high-temp paint is we use in the
> spray booths.
>
> -denny-

Denny, have you seen or had any experience with the CORN stoves? I've
seen them advertised and am amazed that you can burn corn kernels
cheaper per BTU than wood pellets.

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 4, 11:04 pm, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

> Is it corn kernels, or corn cobs? (given that field corn a/k/a 'dent'
> is the source of corn oil, I'm not too surprised there'd be decent BTU
> output)

Denny - it is hard, dried field corn. I have seen the demo, and they
are pretty impressive. You fill a hopper with feed corn, and it feeds
the fire via a screw auger, dropping a couple of kernals on a timed
basis. They are expensive to buy, but cheap to run.

Robert

Getting the 'heat' out........ Kalmia General Cooking 5 29-10-2012 10:04 PM
You want some heat????? PeterLucas[_5_] General Cooking 6 05-07-2008 02:46 PM
Got heat? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 45 11-06-2008 01:48 AM
How to make "Heat Retentive Plates" and "Heat Retentive Coffee Mugs" Juan General Cooking 2 04-10-2006 06:40 AM
Heat Shrink Adaptor for Heat Gun David D. Winemaking 9 07-09-2005 06:36 PM