Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Regulator malfunction?

Hi- Please pardon a newbie's intrusion, I did a search but got no
hits.

We've had this Kenmore grill about 5 years. The other night I went out
to light it, and when I cranked the propane cylinder valve on, gas
came out through the hole marked "vent" on the regulator. When I
turned the burner valve "on" the gas coming out the vent stopped;
burner valve "off" started the gas out of the vent again.

Anyone seen this before? Is there a fix, or do we buy a new regulator?

Thanks,
Dave O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

DaveO wrote:
> Hi- Please pardon a newbie's intrusion, I did a search but got no
> hits.
>
> We've had this Kenmore grill about 5 years. The other night I went out
> to light it, and when I cranked the propane cylinder valve on, gas
> came out through the hole marked "vent" on the regulator. When I
> turned the burner valve "on" the gas coming out the vent stopped;
> burner valve "off" started the gas out of the vent again.
>
> Anyone seen this before? Is there a fix, or do we buy a new regulator?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave O

I'd just buy another. They're less than 20 bucks, and a house fire is
more expensive.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

DaveO wrote:
> Hi- Please pardon a newbie's intrusion, I did a search but got no
> hits.
>
> We've had this Kenmore grill about 5 years. The other night I went out
> to light it, and when I cranked the propane cylinder valve on, gas
> came out through the hole marked "vent" on the regulator. When I
> turned the burner valve "on" the gas coming out the vent stopped;
> burner valve "off" started the gas out of the vent again.
>
> Anyone seen this before? Is there a fix, or do we buy a new regulator?

I'm sure that it could be tinkered with, but if it was mine, a trip to
HD, Lowe's or a similar place would be preferable. The replacements are
inexpensive and I'd be hesitant to try fixing something that critical to
safety. The only thing I'd try first is cleaning out the venturi on
the grill and making sure the air openings are not clogged by spider
webs or debris.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 25-Jul-2007, Nonnymus > wrote:

> DaveO wrote:
> > Hi- Please pardon a newbie's intrusion, I did a search but got no
> > hits.
> >

>T > We've had this Kenmore grill about 5 years. The other night I went out
> > to light it, and when I cranked the propane cylinder valve on, gas
> > came out through the hole marked "vent" on the regulator. When I
> > turned the burner valve "on" the gas coming out the vent stopped;
> > burner valve "off" started the gas out of the vent again.
> >
> > Anyone seen this before? Is there a fix, or do we buy a new regulator?

> I'm sure that it could be tinkered with, but if it was mine, a trip to
> HD, Lowe's or a similar place would be preferable. The replacements are
> inexpensive and I'd be hesitant to try fixing something that critical to
> safety. The only thing I'd try first is cleaning out the venturi on
> the grill and making sure the air openings are not clogged by spider
> webs or debris.
>
> Nonny
>
> --
> ---Nonnymus---

The OP's description sounds like a diaphram failure in the regulator.
He probably can't even get it apart to check for that. Most of these
cheap regulators are crimped together with no user replaceable
parts. Best to just replace it. Oh yeah. Hit it with a hammer before
you throw it out so some dumbass don't pick it out of the dump and
try to use it.

--
Brick(Ignorance is treated with education; stupid is terminal)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
Oh yeah. Hit it with a hammer before
> you throw it out so some dumbass don't pick it out of the dump and
> try to use it.

I never thought of that, but you sure are right. Around here, we have
folks sometimes picking through the trash to find stuff to sell at their
second hand stores. I've not encountered it, but know folks who've
caught them early in the AM of trash day. By destroying the pot metal
regulator, you might be saving someone from a bad accident.

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
trying to make others appear shorter.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks, all- I'll put a new one on the Home Depot list, and destroy
the old one. I'll look at the venturi as well, since we sure do have
spiders around here. Have a good weekend!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Jul-2007, DaveO > wrote:

> Thanks, all- I'll put a new one on the Home Depot list, and destroy
> the old one. I'll look at the venturi as well, since we sure do have
> spiders around here. Have a good weekend!

Glad to read that you're taking the safe road Dave. When you said
that gas was leaking out of the vent, I had to figure that the diaphram
had failed and there's no reasonable way to repair that. What you
have inside that flying saucer shaped regulator is a diaphram with
a spring on one side and gas pressure and a needle valve on the
other. The vent hole is simply there to allow the outside air pressure
to have access to the diaphram. For gas to get out the vent it has
to pass through the diaphram. Not a good situation. Of course
I've never actually had one apart. Maybe there's just a tiny little man
in there with a screwdriver.
--
Brick(Enforce the law first; change it later if necessary)