Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Problem with some LP tanks - freezing regulator

This is not a BBQ question, but I couldn't think of a better place to
post. I have two recently-filled 20lbs LP tanks. I hooked one up to an
outdoor patio heater (new from Costco) and the regulator iced up and
after about 5 minuted the gas cut off. When I hooked up the 2nd tank,
everything worked fine. This is in northern CA and the temperature was
probably 60F and not humid.

Why would one tank make the regulator freeze ? There was frost on the
regular surface. Is there water in the tank or something? When I use
the "good" tank, the regulator is slightly cool but that's all. Both
tanks were filled by the same LP dealer at the same time.

Any ideas?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> This is not a BBQ question, but I couldn't think of a better place to
> post. I have two recently-filled 20lbs LP tanks. I hooked one up to an
> outdoor patio heater (new from Costco) and the regulator iced up and
> after about 5 minuted the gas cut off. When I hooked up the 2nd tank,
> everything worked fine. This is in northern CA and the temperature was
> probably 60F and not humid.
>
> Why would one tank make the regulator freeze ? There was frost on the
> regular surface. Is there water in the tank or something? When I use
> the "good" tank, the regulator is slightly cool but that's all. Both
> tanks were filled by the same LP dealer at the same time.
>
> Any ideas?

Are you sure the connections was good? A slight leak can cause freezing as
you describe.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Hi,

I had the same problem with a gas grill. Problem was the tank was way
overfilled and Liquid Propane was being fed to the regulators. My 1st
regulator was damaged by it. A new regulator fixed the problem. Be aware
that some Kids who fill these things want to give you your money's worth and
will overfill it, to get all they can in into tank. It happened a second
time, but that time I was lucky, the regulator was not damaged.

Happy Grilling.

ups.com...

Regulator malfunction? DaveO Barbecue 6 27-07-2007 11:53 PM
Coleman roadtrip LXE regulator freezing [email protected] Barbecue 3 26-11-2006 03:40 AM
Frosty the regulator... J. Lanza Barbecue 3 01-05-2006 04:02 AM
LP regulator capacity [email protected] Barbecue 0 21-05-2005 06:54 AM
Odd freezing problem [email protected] Baking 7 03-05-2005 03:02 PM