Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default WSM vent settings

How do you set your vents to get those long consistent burns?

I bought my WSM last year and was controlling my temps by adjusting both
the top vent and the bottom vents and thought I was getting the hang of
it. Was able to keep some consistency.

Then I read on this group that the top vent should be wide open so as
not to get a coating of creosote and temperature should be controlled
using the bottom vents.

When I tried that approach, I'm having a harder time keeping the
temperature consistent and the charcoal is burning much faster.

thanks in advance

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

John Reber wrote:
> How do you set your vents to get those long consistent burns?
>
> I bought my WSM last year and was controlling my temps by adjusting
> both the top vent and the bottom vents and thought I was getting the
> hang of it. Was able to keep some consistency.
>
> Then I read on this group that the top vent should be wide open so as
> not to get a coating of creosote and temperature should be controlled
> using the bottom vents.
>
> When I tried that approach, I'm having a harder time keeping the
> temperature consistent and the charcoal is burning much faster.
>
> thanks in advance

With my WSM, I adjusted the top vent as well as the bottom vents. I never
had a problem with creosote. I suppose that could happen if you used green
or wet wood chunks, or used a lump charcoal that was of suspicious quality.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Have you tried this site? I learned how to control my WSM using it. It
has a lot of great information. -RP
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

John Reber wrote:
> How do you set your vents to get those long consistent burns?
>
> I bought my WSM last year and was controlling my temps by adjusting both
> the top vent and the bottom vents and thought I was getting the hang of
> it. Was able to keep some consistency.
>
> Then I read on this group that the top vent should be wide open so as
> not to get a coating of creosote and temperature should be controlled
> using the bottom vents.
>
> When I tried that approach, I'm having a harder time keeping the
> temperature consistent and the charcoal is burning much faster.
>
> thanks in advance

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Randy wrote:
> Have you tried this site? I learned how to control my WSM using it. It
> has a lot of great information. -RP
> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/
>
> John Reber wrote:
>> How do you set your vents to get those long consistent burns?
>>
>> I bought my WSM last year and was controlling my temps by adjusting
>> both the top vent and the bottom vents and thought I was getting the
>> hang of it. Was able to keep some consistency.
>>
>> Then I read on this group that the top vent should be wide open so as
>> not to get a coating of creosote and temperature should be controlled
>> using the bottom vents.
>>
>> When I tried that approach, I'm having a harder time keeping the
>> temperature consistent and the charcoal is burning much faster.
>>
>> thanks in advance

So much conflicting information.

I did look at that site after seeing it listed on Dave's site. Dave
says he adjust both top and bottom vents, this site says to leave the
top vent open.

The site does start off with a lot more charcoal than I've been using,
perhaps that was my problem.

I do have to find real charcoal though. Without special ordering Royal
Oak from American Home and Hardware, all I can find around here is
Kingsford.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 11, 12:21 pm, John Reber > wrote:
> Randy wrote:
> > Have you tried this site? I learned how to control my WSM using it. It
> > has a lot of great information. -RP
> >http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

> > John Reber wrote:
> >> How do you set your vents to get those long consistent burns?

> >> I bought my WSM last year and was controlling my temps by adjusting
> >> both the top vent and the bottom vents and thought I was getting the
> >> hang of it. Was able to keep some consistency.

> >> Then I read on this group that the top vent should be wide open so as
> >> not to get a coating of creosote and temperature should be controlled
> >> using the bottom vents.

> >> When I tried that approach, I'm having a harder time keeping the
> >> temperature consistent and the charcoal is burning much faster.

> >> thanks in advance

> So much conflicting information.
>
> I did look at that site after seeing it listed on Dave's site. Dave
> says he adjust both top and bottom vents, this site says to leave the
> top vent open.
>
> The site does start off with a lot more charcoal than I've been using,
> perhaps that was my problem.
>
> I do have to find real charcoal though. Without special ordering Royal
> Oak from American Home and Hardware, all I can find around here is
> Kingsford.

For long cooks, or issues with high or fluctuating temps, the Minion
Method works very well for me. Follow Virtual Bullet site for this:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion

I've had my WSM for about 6mo, now and feel competent and comfortable
using it - all due to that website.

--Chris

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I buy Royal Oak at Walmart and Costco is now carrying their own brand. -RP

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> My local WalMart only has their own brand of Sam's choice "60%
> larger briquettes", and 3 types of that insta-light crap. I made3
> special trip there just to see what they had - what a
> disappointment.

You still live in Austin, Steve? If so, Central Market on North Lamar
carries B&B lump.

-frohe
Life's too short to be in a hurry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:02:14 -0600, frohe wrote:
>
>> Steve Wertz wrote:
>>> My local WalMart only has their own brand of Sam's choice "60%
>>> larger briquettes", and 3 types of that insta-light crap. I made3
>>> special trip there just to see what they had - what a
>>> disappointment.

>> You still live in Austin, Steve? If so, Central Market on North
>> Lamar carries B&B lump.

> Yep. They've got their own brand of mesquite out of Brazil now,
> too. I stick with the B&B whenever possible.

I love B&B. I just finished using the last of their lump from a pallet load
I ordered last year.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 07:50:02 -0700, Randy wrote:
>
>> I buy Royal Oak at Walmart and Costco is now carrying their own brand. -RP

> My local WalMart only has their own brand of Sam's choice "60%
> larger briquettes", and 3 types of that insta-light crap.

The instant light stuff works, but I think it has a flavor. When I was
using charcoal and wood preburn, I'd just save my bacon drippings and
even some trimmings. They soak into the wood or charcoal and help it to
light quickly.

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message

> Steve Wertz wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 07:50:02 -0700, Randy wrote:
> >
> > > I buy Royal Oak at Walmart and Costco is now carrying their own
> > > brand. -RP

> > My local WalMart only has their own brand of Sam's choice "60%
> > larger briquettes", and 3 types of that insta-light crap.

> The instant light stuff works, but I think it has a flavor.

Nonny, Nonny, Nonny!

I think that you'd fit in better with these folks:

http://www.grillforum.com/que/queboard/

The instant light stuff is CRAP!

BOB
possibly Steve is right...(and everyone else, too?)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
>> You still live in Austin, Steve? If so, Central Market on North
>> Lamar carries B&B lump.

> Yep. They've got their own brand of mesquite out of Brazil now,
> too. I stick with the B&B whenever possible.

Gotta be B&B for me. Was there Monday to grab five 20#bags.

-frohe
Life's too short to be in a hurry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:26:22 -0700, Nonnymus wrote:
>
>> Steve Wertz wrote:

>>> My local WalMart only has their own brand of Sam's choice "60%
>>> larger briquettes", and 3 types of that insta-light crap.

>> The instant light stuff works,....

> And the long awaited ... <plonk>.
>
> I know - you're just misunderstood, right?

Yes, you did misunderstand. If you read what I typed, the LIGHTING part
works. I then went on to say that I think it has a flavor and suggested
using bacon fat/grease to ignite lump or preburn wood. What part of
that was wrong?