FoodBanter.com

-   -   Where did I go wrong? (Spare Ribs) (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/125010-where-did-i-go.html)

Bilz 29-05-2007 06:18 PM

Where did I go wrong? (Spare Ribs)

Yesterday was a beautiful day for a barbecue. I am new to barbecue,
but I have been very successful so far by following directions and
having good results come out. So I invited 10 friends over, and
barbecued up some spare ribs... and they were so tough and chewy that
they were almost inedible.

Here is what I did:

I soaked the ribs overnight in apple juice. I then cured the ribs
with a dry rub for 4 hours.

I used an offset smoker (Silver Smoker from Char Broil). I cooked
with hickory briquettes (from Royal Oak) and soaked Hickory chunks.
In the firebox, I put a pan of apple juice for some added moisture.
The temperature in the smoke box remained between 200 and 300 degrees,
depending on how recently I opened the box.

Every 1/2 hour, I opened the smoke box to liberally spray the ribs
with apple juice. I flipped the ribs, and rotated them so they had
equal time close to the fire box.

I cooked the ribs for 4.5 hours, and a half an hour before we ate, I
lathered both sides with my barbecue sauce.

They TASTED pretty good, but they were so tough that they could barely
be ripped apart. Overall, they were so tough that it was an
unpleasant experience.

WHERE DID I GO WRONG??????

Dave Bugg 29-05-2007 06:52 PM

Bilz wrote:
> Yesterday was a beautiful day for a barbecue. I am new to barbecue,
> but I have been very successful so far by following directions and
> having good results come out. So I invited 10 friends over, and
> barbecued up some spare ribs... and they were so tough and chewy that
> they were almost inedible.
>
> Here is what I did:
>
> I soaked the ribs overnight in apple juice. I then cured the ribs
> with a dry rub for 4 hours.

I rub my ribs just prior to putting them in the pit.

> I used an offset smoker (Silver Smoker from Char Broil). I cooked
> with hickory briquettes (from Royal Oak) and soaked Hickory chunks.

I wouldn't soak wood chunks or chips.

> In the firebox, I put a pan of apple juice for some added moisture.

Adding moisture for what purpose? It won't make or keep the ribs from losing
moisture, if that's what you are thinking.

> The temperature in the smoke box remained between 200 and 300 degrees,
> depending on how recently I opened the box.

That's a pretty wide variation of temperature. It indicates a poor cooking
environment.

> Every 1/2 hour, I opened the smoke box to liberally spray the ribs
> with apple juice. I flipped the ribs, and rotated them so they had
> equal time close to the fire box.

Every time you opened your pit, you needed to increase the amount of cooking
time by as much as 20 minutes. Multiply the number of times you opened by 20
minutes and that is how much longer it needed on in the pit.

> I cooked the ribs for 4.5 hours, and a half an hour before we ate, I
> lathered both sides with my barbecue sauce.

I think you need to focus on the taste of the meat, and be less concerned
with soaking, spraying and lathering; good spare ribs don't need all of that
stuff. If you want, just glaze 'em as they come out of the pit. Based on
what you've said, you probably needed double the time in the pit.

> They TASTED pretty good, but they were so tough that they could barely
> be ripped apart. Overall, they were so tough that it was an
> unpleasant experience.

The collagen and other connective tissue didn't have a chance to break down,
and that's what you really want to accomplish. Time doesn't indicate that
the meat is done, tenderness does.

> WHERE DID I GO WRONG??????

Covered above. Don't worry, it takes time to learn. Try this, it'll give you
some help:
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

[email protected] 29-05-2007 06:57 PM

On May 29, 12:18 pm, Bilz > wrote:
> Yesterday was a beautiful day for a barbecue. I am new to barbecue,
> but I have been very successful so far by following directions and
> having good results come out. So I invited 10 friends over, and
> barbecued up some spare ribs... and they were so tough and chewy that
> they were almost inedible.
>
> Here is what I did:
>
> I soaked the ribs overnight in apple juice. I then cured the ribs
> with a dry rub for 4 hours.
>
> I used an offset smoker (Silver Smoker from Char Broil). I cooked
> with hickory briquettes (from Royal Oak) and soaked Hickory chunks.
> In the firebox, I put a pan of apple juice for some added moisture.
> The temperature in the smoke box remained between 200 and 300 degrees,
> depending on how recently I opened the box.
>
> Every 1/2 hour, I opened the smoke box to liberally spray the ribs
> with apple juice. I flipped the ribs, and rotated them so they had
> equal time close to the fire box.
>
> I cooked the ribs for 4.5 hours, and a half an hour before we ate, I
> lathered both sides with my barbecue sauce.
>
> They TASTED pretty good, but they were so tough that they could barely
> be ripped apart. Overall, they were so tough that it was an
> unpleasant experience.
>
> WHERE DID I GO WRONG??????

You let all the heat out when you opened up the grill every 30 min,
just when you built the heat back up you let it out. try going 1 to
1.5 hours in between the apple juice or just leave it out. you have
to give the heat and smoke time to work, and if these were spare ribs
you probably need to go 6 to 7 hours. I do baby back and grill them
for about 15 min per side and then smoke for about 3-4 hours and they
turn out great no sauce but a vinegar baste every hour or so..

Yahoo News 29-05-2007 07:11 PM

Where did I go wrong? (Spare Ribs)

>> WHERE DID I GO WRONG??????

> Covered above. Don't worry, it takes time to learn. Try this, it'll give
> you some help:
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Dave- Did you write the FAQ? I'm really curious about the comments on
Brisket. The auther writes that 18-20 hrs is too long as the meat dries
out. I agree with that but don't really know why. Sometimes my brisket takes
16-18 hrs and are absolutely succulent, next time ....dry. I have great
control with my Goodwin smoker, and I keep dialed in close to 225 deg.
I saw where the author will smoke for 10 hrs and then wrap and insulate to
let it keep cooking. This makes sense on so many levels, not to mention I'm
not crazy anout missing sleep. What internal temp do you need to be at
before you are comfortable with wrapping the brisket? I'm guessing mine are
usually in that 165 degree zone at the 10 hr mark ( 8 lb packer)
Appreciate your input. - Gregg

Bilz 29-05-2007 07:17 PM

On May 29, 1:57 pm, wrote:
> On May 29, 12:18 pm, Bilz > wrote:
>

> > Yesterday was a beautiful day for a barbecue. I am new to barbecue,
> > but I have been very successful so far by following directions and
> > having good results come out. So I invited 10 friends over, and
> > barbecued up some spare ribs... and they were so tough and chewy that
> > they were almost inedible.

> > Here is what I did:

> > I soaked the ribs overnight in apple juice. I then cured the ribs
> > with a dry rub for 4 hours.

> > I used an offset smoker (Silver Smoker from Char Broil). I cooked
> > with hickory briquettes (from Royal Oak) and soaked Hickory chunks.
> > In the firebox, I put a pan of apple juice for some added moisture.
> > The temperature in the smoke box remained between 200 and 300 degrees,
> > depending on how recently I opened the box.

> > Every 1/2 hour, I opened the smoke box to liberally spray the ribs
> > with apple juice. I flipped the ribs, and rotated them so they had
> > equal time close to the fire box.

> > I cooked the ribs for 4.5 hours, and a half an hour before we ate, I
> > lathered both sides with my barbecue sauce.

> > They TASTED pretty good, but they were so tough that they could barely
> > be ripped apart. Overall, they were so tough that it was an
> > unpleasant experience.

> > WHERE DID I GO WRONG??????

> You let all the heat out when you opened up the grill every 30 min,
> just when you built the heat back up you let it out. try going 1 to
> 1.5 hours in between the apple juice or just leave it out. you have
> to give the heat and smoke time to work, and if these were spare ribs
> you probably need to go 6 to 7 hours. I do baby back and grill them
> for about 15 min per side and then smoke for about 3-4 hours and they
> turn out great no sauce but a vinegar baste every hour or so..

Thanks for the info. All of the apple juice was to keep the ribs
moist. I did ribs once before, and they were a bit dry. I was
actually following a recipe in the "BBQ Bible" cookbook. It told me
to spray the ribs down every half hour. I will try again without ever
opening the pit.

What temperature is a good one to maintain?

Someone also suggested that I bake the ribs in the oven at 250 in a
braising bag for 3-4 hours before putting them in the smoker. Anyone
with experience with doing something like this?

Dave Bugg 29-05-2007 07:35 PM

Yahoo News wrote:

> Dave- Did you write the FAQ?

No, I didn't. But it is what I recommend to folks as a highly competent
resource.

> I'm really curious about the comments on
> Brisket. The auther writes that 18-20 hrs is too long as the meat
> dries out. I agree with that but don't really know why. Sometimes my
> brisket takes 16-18 hrs and are absolutely succulent, next time
> ....dry. I have great control with my Goodwin smoker, and I keep
> dialed in close to 225 deg. I saw where the author will smoke for 10 hrs
> and then wrap and
> insulate to let it keep cooking. This makes sense on so many levels,
> not to mention I'm not crazy anout missing sleep. What internal temp
> do you need to be at before you are comfortable with wrapping the
> brisket? I'm guessing mine are usually in that 165 degree zone at
> the 10 hr mark ( 8 lb packer) Appreciate your input. - Gregg

I never wrap my brisket, Gregg. I know there are folks that do, but I just
don't like doing it. For a 10-12 lb brisket, I'm going between 15 to 17
hours @ 210 - 220F. Big Jim will do the same brisket in a quarter that time
running his pit at 375+, and he turns out some great brisket.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

JohnO 29-05-2007 07:40 PM

On May 29, 2:17 pm, Bilz > wrote:
> On May 29, 1:57 pm, wrote:
>

> > On May 29, 12:18 pm, Bilz > wrote:

> > > Yesterday was a beautiful day for a barbecue. I am new to barbecue,
> > > but I have been very successful so far by following directions and
> > > having good results come out. So I invited 10 friends over, and
> > > barbecued up some spare ribs... and they were so tough and chewy that
> > > they were almost inedible.

> > > Here is what I did:

> > > I soaked the ribs overnight in apple juice. I then cured the ribs
> > > with a dry rub for 4 hours.

> > > I used an offset smoker (Silver Smoker from Char Broil). I cooked
> > > with hickory briquettes (from Royal Oak) and soaked Hickory chunks.
> > > In the firebox, I put a pan of apple juice for some added moisture.
> > > The temperature in the smoke box remained between 200 and 300 degrees,
> > > depending on how recently I opened the box.

> > > Every 1/2 hour, I opened the smoke box to liberally spray the ribs
> > > with apple juice. I flipped the ribs, and rotated them so they had
> > > equal time close to the fire box.

> > > I cooked the ribs for 4.5 hours, and a half an hour before we ate, I
> > > lathered both sides with my barbecue sauce.

> > > They TASTED pretty good, but they were so tough that they could barely
> > > be ripped apart. Overall, they were so tough that it was an
> > > unpleasant experience.

> > > WHERE DID I GO WRONG??????

> > You let all the heat out when you opened up the grill every 30 min,
> > just when you built the heat back up you let it out. try going 1 to
> > 1.5 hours in between the apple juice or just leave it out. you have
> > to give the heat and smoke time to work, and if these were spare ribs
> > you probably need to go 6 to 7 hours. I do baby back and grill them
> > for about 15 min per side and then smoke for about 3-4 hours and they
> > turn out great no sauce but a vinegar baste every hour or so..

> Thanks for the info. All of the apple juice was to keep the ribs
> moist. I did ribs once before, and they were a bit dry. I was
> actually following a recipe in the "BBQ Bible" cookbook. It told me
> to spray the ribs down every half hour. I will try again without ever
> opening the pit.
>
> What temperature is a good one to maintain?
>
> Someone also suggested that I bake the ribs in the oven at 250 in a
> braising bag for 3-4 hours before putting them in the smoker. Anyone
> with experience with doing something like this?

Nah, you shouldn't have to do all that. Meat dryness comes from losing
fat, not water. Someone here mentioned this, but have you ever had dry
meat out of a crock pot? It can happen.

I suspect your ribs just needed more time. They're done when they're
done, which to me means a fork twists easy in the meat. Others here
say the slab cracks when you bend it, and so on. Or, you might have
had some very lean ribs.

Buy another slab and give it another try without all the apple juice.
Cook until they're done, whenever that is. IMO ribs taste great with
little or no seasoning, maybe some sauce on the plate just for kicks.

I've screwed up a smoke in front of friends too. They get over it if
you cook something else that turns out good. :-)

-John O

Tutall 29-05-2007 07:51 PM

On May 29, 11:17 am, Bilz > wrote:

> Thanks for the info. All of the apple juice was to keep the ribs
> moist. I did ribs once before, and they were a bit dry. I was
> actually following a recipe in the "BBQ Bible" cookbook. It told me
> to spray the ribs down every half hour. I will try again without ever
> opening the pit.

Depends on the cut of ribs too. I buy the full slab CostCo ones, lots
of fat on them.
I open the pit once about halfway 2.5-3 hours to rotate the ribs
toward/away from the hot side. That's all you need to do.

> What temperature is a good one to maintain?

I use to use the same cooker as you, it's a bit difficult to maintain
temps with because of the thin metal and lack of mass, you should look
at the FAQ that Dave supplied to look at the modifications that will
help a LOT. Lowering the entrance to the smokestack, baffling the
opening between the firebox and the cook chamber. Which IMO is really
important, because the firebox is so close without a baffle your'e
essentially cooking direct. Adding mass with firebricks would help
too.

But, on the bright side, because it's kind of touchy you'll learn some
good firetending skills faster than otherwise.

I've found for ribs that temps at or over 275 for long periods of
time tended to create a jerkey like effect to the top of the ribs. The
best ribs I've done were at 200-225 for 6+ hours. But the fire and
how smokey it was contributed as much as the temps.

> Someone also suggested that I bake the ribs in the oven at 250 in a
> braising bag for 3-4 hours before putting them in the smoker. Anyone
> with experience with doing something like this?

Good god NO! You hear of people finishing cooks in the oven, but not
starting them elsewhere. And since we're mostly purists of a kind (I
say that cuz TFM and friends just snorted ) we think oven use of any
kind is pretty lazy. So if you do do it, just don't brag about it. ;-)

Anyway, the reason you don't start BBQ anywhere else is the pores
close up after a bit and the meat won't soak any more smoke up. So if
you partially cooked someting, then put it in smoke, the smoke would
just be one the surface, superficial. You want a smoke ring, dontcha?

Best o luck

Dave Bugg 29-05-2007 08:01 PM

Bilz wrote:

> Thanks for the info. All of the apple juice was to keep the ribs
> moist.

It's impossible to keep any meat moist by the application of extrnal
liquids. That is one of the biggest myths in cooking, including bbq. The
biggest enemies of bbqing meat is the incorrect amount of time for the
temperature used for the type of meat to be cooked. And even more important
is air movement. Low heat and air movement are what's used to preserve meat
via dehydration.

Continuous high temperature spikes instead of a low, steady temperature is
one indication that there is too much air movement in the pit.

> I did ribs once before, and they were a bit dry. I was
> actually following a recipe in the "BBQ Bible" cookbook. It told me
> to spray the ribs down every half hour. I will try again without ever
> opening the pit.

Steve Raichlen confuses bbq with grilling, and grilling with bbq. IMO, he is
not the best authority out there.

> What temperature is a good one to maintain?

For spares, I like 250 to 275. For babybacks, which I don't care for, I
prefer 220F. For beef ribs, I treat 'em like prime rib and do 'em at 350F

> Someone also suggested that I bake the ribs in the oven at 250 in a
> braising bag for 3-4 hours before putting them in the smoker. Anyone
> with experience with doing something like this?

Since we're talking bbq, an oven has no place. However, if you want to oven
roast ribs just keep 'em in the oven til done. Plopping them on the pit at
the last minute won't make it bbq.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Bilz 29-05-2007 10:03 PM

On May 29, 3:01 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Bilz wrote:
> > Thanks for the info. All of the apple juice was to keep the ribs
> > moist.

> It's impossible to keep any meat moist by the application of extrnal
> liquids. That is one of the biggest myths in cooking, including bbq. The
> biggest enemies of bbqing meat is the incorrect amount of time for the
> temperature used for the type of meat to be cooked. And even more important
> is air movement. Low heat and air movement are what's used to preserve meat
> via dehydration.
>
> Continuous high temperature spikes instead of a low, steady temperature is
> one indication that there is too much air movement in the pit.
>
> > I did ribs once before, and they were a bit dry. I was
> > actually following a recipe in the "BBQ Bible" cookbook. It told me
> > to spray the ribs down every half hour. I will try again without ever
> > opening the pit.

> Steve Raichlen confuses bbq with grilling, and grilling with bbq. IMO, he is
> not the best authority out there.
>
> > What temperature is a good one to maintain?

> For spares, I like 250 to 275. For babybacks, which I don't care for, I
> prefer 220F. For beef ribs, I treat 'em like prime rib and do 'em at 350F
>
> > Someone also suggested that I bake the ribs in the oven at 250 in a
> > braising bag for 3-4 hours before putting them in the smoker. Anyone
> > with experience with doing something like this?

> Since we're talking bbq, an oven has no place. However, if you want to oven
> roast ribs just keep 'em in the oven til done. Plopping them on the pit at
> the last minute won't make it bbq.
> --
> Davewww.davebbq.com

Thanks for all the notes. It helps a lot. I had a to of success with
my Webber kettle, but have only recently switched to a more suitable
smoker. My confidence with my kettle and my success with my first try
with the smoker (whole chicken) gave me unfounded confidence with my
new smoker... so I invited a bunch of friends over.

I will keep trying, and add a few mods to the smoker suggested in the
FAQ. I really like the fire bricks and sealing the doors of the
smoker. Unfortunately, it leaks a ton. Some sort of silicone gaskets
would be very useful.

Is there any specific product that works well for creating gaskets for
the lids and junctions?

Nick Cramer 30-05-2007 12:32 AM

Bilz > wrote:
> On May 29, 3:01 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> > Bilz wrote:
> > > [ . . . ]

> Is there any specific product that works well for creating gaskets for
> the lids and junctions?

I used Permatex High Temperature Automotive Gasket Seal. I think it's #2,
The one that sets up. After marking the area I was planning to seal, I
washed the bottom with mineral spirits until the cloth was clean. I rubbed
the top well with cooking oil, laid down a bead of Permatex on the bottom,
closed the lid, weighted it and left it for a while. That was several years
ago and the seal is as good as new.

~Semper Fi~

Bilz 30-05-2007 02:12 AM

On May 29, 7:32 pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> Bilz > wrote:

> > Is there any specific product that works well for creating gaskets for
> > the lids and junctions?

> I used Permatex High Temperature Automotive Gasket Seal. I think it's #2,
> The one that sets up. After marking the area I was planning to seal, I
> washed the bottom with mineral spirits until the cloth was clean. I rubbed
> the top well with cooking oil, laid down a bead of Permatex on the bottom,
> closed the lid, weighted it and left it for a while. That was several years
> ago and the seal is as good as new.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
>
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! !
> ~Semper Fi~

Hmmm... I wonder about using automotive gasket sealer for a food
application... Do you think it is safe? Are there more food-safe
products on the market?

Bilz 30-05-2007 02:22 AM

Where did I go wrong? (Spare Ribs)

On May 29, 7:32 pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> Bilz > wrote:

> > Is there any specific product that works well for creating gaskets for
> > the lids and junctions?

> I used Permatex High Temperature Automotive Gasket Seal. I think it's #2,
> The one that sets up. After marking the area I was planning to seal, I
> washed the bottom with mineral spirits until the cloth was clean. I rubbed
> the top well with cooking oil, laid down a bead of Permatex on the bottom,
> closed the lid, weighted it and left it for a while. That was several years
> ago and the seal is as good as new.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
>
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! !
> ~Semper Fi~

I found this stuff... I especially like the red stuff... food-grade
and high temp. Any thoughts?

Edwin Pawlowski 30-05-2007 02:45 AM

"Bilz" > wrote in message

> Hmmm... I wonder about using automotive gasket sealer for a food
> application... Do you think it is safe? Are there more food-safe
> products on the market?

Once cured it should be OK. There is no contact with the food at all and the
temperatures are not very high.

Edwin Pawlowski 30-05-2007 02:50 AM

"Yahoo News" > wrote in message
> Dave- Did you write the FAQ?

The FAQ was written by a group of us from the old Smokering BBQ list. It
was then edited by Bill Wight into the final form.

I'm really curious about the comments on
> Brisket. The auther writes that 18-20 hrs is too long as the meat dries
> out. I agree with that but don't really know why. Sometimes my brisket
> takes 16-18 hrs and are absolutely succulent, next time ....dry. I have
> great control with my Goodwin smoker, and I keep dialed in close to 225
> deg.
> I saw where the author will smoke for 10 hrs and then wrap and insulate to
> let it keep cooking. This makes sense on so many levels, not to mention
> I'm not crazy anout missing sleep. What internal temp do you need to be at
> before you are comfortable with wrapping the brisket? I'm guessing mine
> are usually in that 165 degree zone at the 10 hr mark ( 8 lb packer)
> Appreciate your input. - Gregg

There are many ways to get the end result. I cook mine at 250 for about 12
to 14 hours. I don't wrap the brisket at all and never found it necessary.
The rendering fat and breaking down of the collagen acts as a natural
coolant and moisturizer. When the temperature internal hits 190 to 195, it
is done. You may notice it will hang out at about 160 for a very long time
and then gradually rise.

Edwin Pawlowski 30-05-2007 02:55 AM

"Bilz" > wrote in message

> What temperature is a good one to maintain?
>
> Someone also suggested that I bake the ribs in the oven at 250 in a
> braising bag for 3-4 hours before putting them in the smoker. Anyone
> with experience with doing something like this?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !! ! ! ! ! ! . No bag, no boiling. They are crutches
for people that do not have the ability to tie their own shoes, let alone
cook barbecue. Most pitmasters like about 225 to 250 for ribs. Just let
them go, no spraying with juice, until you see the meat pulling back on the
bones, then test them for tenderness.

Just keep the lid closed too.

The Fat Man®[_3_] 30-05-2007 04:15 AM

Bilz wrote:

> Is there any specific product that works well for creating gaskets for
> the lids and junctions?

There is one specific product that keeps coming to mind...fire control.

There is no magic cooker, only magic cooks, and sometimes we all get as
lucky as the blind pig in finding an acorn.

Just keep working at it. You have the desire, you will excel.

BTW, Don't pay *too* much attention to what you read on newsgroups, learn
the way we all did, from experience and hard knocks.

TFM®

Nick Cramer 30-05-2007 04:16 AM

Bilz > wrote:
> On May 29, 7:32 pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > Bilz > wrote:
> > > Is there any specific product that works well for creating gaskets
> > > for the lids and junctions?

> > I used Permatex High Temperature Automotive Gasket Seal. I think it's
> > #2, The one that sets up. After marking the area I was planning to
> > seal, I washed the bottom with mineral spirits until the cloth was
> > clean. I rubbed the top well with cooking oil, laid down a bead of
> > Permatex on the bottom, closed the lid, weighted it and left it for a
> > while. That was several years ago and the seal is as good as new.
> >

> I found this stuff... I especially like the red stuff... food-grade
> and high temp. Any thoughts?

I'm interested. What stuff?

~Semper Fi~

The Fat Man®[_3_] 30-05-2007 04:25 AM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Bilz" > wrote in message
>>
>> What temperature is a good one to maintain?
>>
>> Someone also suggested that I bake the ribs in the oven at 250 in a
>> braising bag for 3-4 hours before putting them in the smoker. Anyone
>> with experience with doing something like this?
>>

> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !! ! ! ! ! ! . No bag, no boiling. They are
> crutches for people that do not have the ability to tie their own
> shoes, let alone cook barbecue. Most pitmasters like about 225 to
> 250 for ribs. Just let them go, no spraying with juice, until you
> see the meat pulling back on the bones, then test them for tenderness.
>
> Just keep the lid closed too.

BBQ is as simple a cooking method as you can get. You overly complicated it
in your last endeavour and you reaped the rewards.

Meat + Fire + Smoke

Start simply (Salt, pepper and maybe garlic powder if you're brave)

Stay simple (fire and smoke - basting is for wimmen)

Quit ****ing peeking! It ain't going anywhere. It's a most excellent
opportunity to have some adult beverages!

There is no ( I repeat, "*THERE IS NO*") reason to open a smoker for at
least 3 hours.

You'll catch on, I believe in you,
TFM®

Bilz 30-05-2007 12:58 PM

On May 29, 11:16 pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:

> I'm interested. What stuff?

Woops! Sorry... forgot the link. The red product (second one down):

http://www.motorsportsgear.com/silicones.htm

Shawn 30-05-2007 02:23 PM

Bilz wrote:
> On May 29, 11:16 pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
>>
>> I'm interested. What stuff?
>>

> Woops! Sorry... forgot the link. The red product (second one down):
>
> http://www.motorsportsgear.com/silicones.htm

That will work. Clean the section you want it to stick to, spread it on,
and cover with seran wrap. Close the lid and let cure. The plastic should
peel off afterwards

Dana Myers 30-05-2007 03:23 PM

Where did I go wrong? (Spare Ribs)

Just adding my 2 cents to all the good advice you've
already received:

Bilz wrote:
> Yesterday was a beautiful day for a barbecue. I am new to barbecue,
> but I have been very successful so far by following directions and
> having good results come out. So I invited 10 friends over, and
> barbecued up some spare ribs... and they were so tough and chewy that
> they were almost inedible.

Given your description, I'd agree they were under-cooked.

> Here is what I did:
>
> I soaked the ribs overnight in apple juice. I then cured the ribs
> with a dry rub for 4 hours.

My pal Don liked to soak ribs in a mixture of apple juice
and cider vinegar for a couple of hours before cooking. Me,
on the other hand, I like to simply paint the ribs with some
yellow mustard maybe 5-15 minutes before I cook 'em.

In both cases, we apply rub 5-15 minutes before cooking
(for me, I just apply the rub after the mustard).

One time, we cooked two sets of ribs at the same, Don
marinated a few and I painted a few. The marinated ribs
were slightly smaller after cooking, but didn't seem
any less juicy. We could not tell a substantial difference
in taste.

> I used an offset smoker (Silver Smoker from Char Broil). I cooked
> with hickory briquettes (from Royal Oak) and soaked Hickory chunks.
> In the firebox, I put a pan of apple juice for some added moisture.
> The temperature in the smoke box remained between 200 and 300 degrees,
> depending on how recently I opened the box.

Juice and water and stuff in the firebox really doesn't add
moisture to the meat.

> Every 1/2 hour, I opened the smoke box to liberally spray the ribs
> with apple juice. I flipped the ribs, and rotated them so they had
> equal time close to the fire box.

Let me get this right, every half-hour, you open the cookbox
and let all the heat and smoke escape, then sprayed the ribs
with liquid to further cool them down? No wonder they're
undercooked :-).

With a little experience, you'll know when to start checking
your ribs the first time. For me, cooking around 230-260F,
the first check for baby backs is around 3.5 hours. Until
then, I don't touch the cookbox lid, not even to peek. The
only lid you might be opening is the firebox to add fuel, but
otherwise, let the cooker cook and don't try too hard.

> I cooked the ribs for 4.5 hours, and a half an hour before we ate, I
> lathered both sides with my barbecue sauce.
>
> They TASTED pretty good, but they were so tough that they could barely
> be ripped apart. Overall, they were so tough that it was an
> unpleasant experience.
>
> WHERE DID I GO WRONG??????

You tried too hard. Don't fuss over the meat. Don't
open the cookbox until the meat is nearly done. Relax.

The truth be told, I've been there, back when I was starting
out. I fussed over the meat, rubbed it the night before,
mopped with apple juice and vinegar and what-have-you.
Fortunately, I learned a thing or two from the rest of
this fine group, and stopped trying so hard.

Cheers,
Dana

EZ 30-05-2007 07:10 PM

Where did I go wrong? (Spare Ribs)

Bilz wrote:

<snip very descriptive tale of woe>
> WHERE DID I GO WRONG??????

You've gotten some great advice here. I agree with just about all of it.
Here's my synopsis, for what it's worth:

1. Make the simple mods to your cooker that will keep the heat and smoke as
low in the cooker for as long as you can. Except, keep the exhaust vent wide
open always - that's the cap on top of the chimney, if you have one, or
maybe the damper inside it. Don't worry about the leaks, unless there's a
gaping hole somewhere, in which case it's time for a new cooker.

2. Do not open the cooking chamber for at least 3-1/2 hours when doing ribs.
They won't be done anyway, so there's no reason to open it. That's why it's
an offset smoker - open the firebox to add lump charcoal, wood chunks, etc.

3. Keep a probe thermometer pushed through a wine cork sitting on the
cooking grate next to but not touching your meat. Then you'll know what the
temp is at the same place your meat is, for the most part. And, you won't
have to open the cooking chamber. Keep it at whatever temp you've decided
upon - 225-275 seems to be generally OK, depending upon how thick the meat
is, how much meat you have in the cooker, etc. Don't rely on those cheap
dome thermometers unless you've regulated it yourself and know that when it
reads thus-and-so degrees, the temp at the grate is this-and-that.

4. Simple dry rub. I use Montreal Chicken Seasoning, sometimes a local rib
rub from the meat market, sometimes just S&P. If you want, put it on the
night before, and wrap the ribs tightly in plastic wrap and then aluminum
foil. If you do that, let the ribs sit at room temperature for a half-hour
before you put them on the cooker. No barbecue sauce - set some sauce on the
table for those that want it. They won't want it, if they come out right.

5. Have some fun. A few beers in the cook help the barbecue immensely. And
invite your guests early. You can all sit outside on the patio and enjoy the
good smells as the barbecue gets done in its own time.

6. As others have said, it's done when it's done. When the bone ends are
sticking out of the meat, it's done. When you pick up the slab with your
silicon-gloved hand or tongs, and it just about breaks in the center, it's
done. I like my ribs not quite falling off the bone, but to where you can
pull two ribs apart with your bare hands. I chop my slabs up into two-rib
pieces, so folks can do just that.

This post is already way too long. Again, keep trying, and have fun. If you
aren't having fun, why barbecue at all?

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"

Dennis Gemmer 30-05-2007 11:19 PM

Where did I go wrong? (Spare Ribs)

I would have to agree with TFM on this one here. You will find that practice
will make perfection.

I would also try and bother them as much as you have. 4 hours @ 225 is
pretty much the standard on ribs from all I have talked to and done myself.
That is leaving them alone for that period of time as well.

DMG

[email protected] 31-05-2007 12:40 AM

On 29-May-2007, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Bilz" > wrote in message
> >
> > What temperature is a good one to maintain?
> >
> > Someone also suggested that I bake the ribs in the oven
> > at 250 in a
> > braising bag for 3-4 hours before putting them in the
> > smoker. Anyone
> > with experience with doing something like this?
> >

> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !! ! ! ! ! ! . No bag, no boiling.
> They are crutches
> for people that do not have the ability to tie their own
> shoes, let alone
> cook barbecue. Most pitmasters like about 225 to 250 for
> ribs. Just let
> them go, no spraying with juice, until you see the meat
> pulling back on the
> bones, then test them for tenderness.
>
> Just keep the lid closed too.

What ed said. Too many people trying to make ccoking hog
parts into some kind of complicated process. Peeking isn't
cooking. Playing with your meat isn't cooking either.

Granted, it's hard to provide guidelines for someone about
to cook their first rack of ribs or first pork
butt/shoulder/
picnic. But what I'm reading mostly is folks experimenting
before they ever finish a successful basic cook. Why can't
folks just get their fire going, put their meat in the pit
and
then just leave it alone for a few hours. I had a hell of a
time controlling my fire at first, but I never had the urge
to move my food around. Smoke? Extra wood for smoke
is for people that have control of their fire in the first
place.
How the hell does anyone expect to make good 'Q' if
they're spending all their energy trying to burn the right
amount/kind of wood to get just the right amount of smoke?
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

[email protected] 31-05-2007 02:00 AM

On 30-May-2007, Dana Myers > wrote:

> [...]

> otherwise, let the cooker cook and don't try too hard.
>
> > I cooked the ribs for 4.5 hours, and a half an hour
> > before we ate, I
> > lathered both sides with my barbecue sauce.
> >
> > They TASTED pretty good, but they were so tough that
> > they could barely
> > be ripped apart. Overall, they were so tough that it
> > was an
> > unpleasant experience.
> >
> > WHERE DID I GO WRONG??????

> You tried too hard. Don't fuss over the meat. Don't
> open the cookbox until the meat is nearly done. Relax.
>
> The truth be told, I've been there, back when I was
> starting
> out. I fussed over the meat, rubbed it the night before,
> mopped with apple juice and vinegar and what-have-you.
> Fortunately, I learned a thing or two from the rest of
> this fine group, and stopped trying so hard.

What Dana said. Jeez! This ain't rocket science. Start your
fire. Let it stabilize. Put your meat in the pit. Then,
treat it
like a sore dick. Don't mess around with it. I use a New
Braunfels Silver Smoker. (Mine's built a lot better then
yours). I build a big fire and crack the firebox damper
about
1 inch leaving the chimney damper wide open. I cook large
pieces on the side near the firebox. Ribs go on the other
side. Butts take 6 to 8 hours (in my pit). Ribs take 4
hours.
At the midpoint in the cook, I turn the pieces end for end,
but leave them in the same place in the pit. I cook butts
and picnics to at least 195°F internal and I cook ribs
until they crack easily when bent 90°. (Ribs won't usually
crack until they have shrunk back on the bone a fair amount,
so that's a good sign for when to start checking. When you
check them the first time, if they're still pretty
stiff,don't
check again for at least another hour.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

[email protected] 31-05-2007 02:41 AM

On 30-May-2007, "EZ" > wrote:

> [...]

> come out right.
>
> 5. Have some fun. A few beers in the cook help the
> barbecue immensely. And
> invite your guests early. You can all sit outside on the
> patio and enjoy the
> good smells as the barbecue gets done in its own time.
>
> 6. As others have said, it's done when it's done. When the
> bone ends are
> sticking out of the meat, it's done. When you pick up the
> slab with your
> silicon-gloved hand or tongs, and it just about breaks in
> the center, it's
> done. I like my ribs not quite falling off the bone, but
> to where you can
> pull two ribs apart with your bare hands. I chop my slabs
> up into two-rib
> pieces, so folks can do just that.
>
> This post is already way too long. Again, keep trying, and

Decent post EZ. I can't find fault with any part of it. I
feel
terrible about that because I can usually find fault with
just
about anything.

About rubbing ribs et all the night before; I can't tell the
difference
in the final product from ribs that I rubbed just before
putting them
in the pit. I like my ribs done exactly as you described.
It's hard
to get them uniformly done that way though, so one shouldn't

cry if a few bones pull right out while one or two remain a
little
chewy.

In a pinch (pun) you can stack slabs of ribs in the pit if
it's
otherwise too crowded. Shuffle the stack every hour or so
and expect cooking time to extend 30 to 50%.

The Silver Smoker is going to use a fair amount of fuel, so
I feel sorry for you if you paid too much for it, (The
fuel). I use
at least ten pounds of fuel everytime I cook, sometimes
more.
For that reason, I stoop to using briquettes when I can't
get
reasonable priced lump. Right now though, I have some
Kingsford Lump I got for 53¢/lb. I've done better, but that
isn't too bad. Even so, that's over 5 bucks just for fuel. A

brisket cook would take a lot more.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

EZ 31-05-2007 03:20 AM

wrote:

> Decent post EZ. I can't find fault with any part of it. I
> feel
> terrible about that because I can usually find fault with
> just
> about anything.

Why, thanks, Brick! I'm the same way. But, I took up barbecuing (sp?) to
relax, and have a terrific end result to look forward to. After all, if you
have a cheap pit, you have to start at 5 a.m. or so, and babysit the thing
all day long. You can't do anything else. You are forced to stop your life,
just to tend to this thing you've set in motion. And, when it's done,
sometime around 7 p.m. or so if you're lucky, you and your guests get to
feast on what you've created.

> About rubbing ribs et all the night before; I can't tell the
> difference
> in the final product from ribs that I rubbed just before
> putting them
> in the pit.

You know, I hate to admit it, but my results are the same. I just "feel
better" if I marinate them overnight. And by marinate, I mean dry rub.

> In a pinch (pun) you can stack slabs of ribs in the pit if
> it's
> otherwise too crowded. Shuffle the stack every hour or so
> and expect cooking time to extend 30 to 50%.

Last weekend was the first time I took a rib rack that I've only dared put 3
racks in, with a space in between each rack, and instead put 6 racks in, fat
side up of course. I checked the ribs every once in a while (I figure it's
allowed, because on my Traeger with the 3-position switch, I had to crank it
up pretty good, and I actually needed to reduce the temperature in the pit
about every hour). I did a few adjustments, separating the ends as best I
could, and the end result was, with six racks and two ten-pound turkey
breasts in a medium-sized smoker, it was all just plain fantastic. My family
ate the heck out of it all.

> The Silver Smoker is going to use a fair amount of fuel, so
> I feel sorry for you if you paid too much for it, (The
> fuel). I use
> at least ten pounds of fuel everytime I cook, sometimes
> more.
> For that reason, I stoop to using briquettes when I can't
> get
> reasonable priced lump.

When I use my cheap CharGriller offset, I start with a whole bag of lump,
pouring the hot coals from the chimney on top. After it all burns down, in
about 4 hours or so, I switch to the cheaper briquettes.

Right now though, I have some
> Kingsford Lump I got for 53¢/lb. I've done better, but that
> isn't too bad. Even so, that's over 5 bucks just for fuel. A
>
> brisket cook would take a lot more.

That's why whenever I do a long smoke, I load that sucker up as tight as I
can, and crank up the fire so I can get her up to 225-250.

Finally, I gotta say, I just plain love barbecue. Some folks love gardening
and can make things grow just by treating their plants right. Folks like us
make great barbecue by treating their cuts of meat, and their equipment, and
the whole process, right. And, usually, family and friends all benefit, and
good times are had by all.

Bilz 03-06-2007 02:57 AM

On May 30, 10:20 pm, "EZ" > wrote:
> [...]

> > Kingsford Lump I got for 53¢/lb. I've done better, but that
> > isn't too bad. Even so, that's over 5 bucks just for fuel. A

> > brisket cook would take a lot more.

> That's why whenever I do a long smoke, I load that sucker up as tight as I
> can, and crank up the fire so I can get her up to 225-250.
>
> Finally, I gotta say, I just plain love barbecue. Some folks love gardening
> and can make things grow just by treating their plants right. Folks like us
> make great barbecue by treating their cuts of meat, and their equipment, and
> the whole process, right. And, usually, family and friends all benefit, and
> good times are had by all.
>
> --
> EZ
> Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"
> CharGriller Smokin Pro
> Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Wide Body
> CharmGlow 3-burner All-Stainless Gas Grill

Well, I must say, all the advice, and some stuff I read in the FAQ
really paid off. With everything fresh in my mind, I decided to make
spare ribs again today. This time, it was just one rack for my wife
and I. I kept it simple... A dry rub before I put the ribs in the
smoker... a much larger fire than I have made before, but with less
oxygen... and I kept the door closed.

Wow, what a difference! I only had to open the firebox about 4 times
to add more wood. I maintained a temperature of about 275 for 4.5
hours. The ribs came out moist and tender... the meat fell right off
the bone. 10 times less work, and a significantly better rack of ribs
to eat.

Thanks for all the help. I have a further question about rib cuts,
but I will start a new thread for that. You guys rock! I have read
several books on barbecue lately, and I have been watching plenty of
TV shows about it. But it was talking to you guys that made the
difference. I never read most of the stuff you all talked about in
the books... in fact, a book told me to make the ribs the way I did
last week!

Thanks again,

Edwin Pawlowski 03-06-2007 03:26 AM

"Bilz" > wrote in message

Thanks for all the help. I have a further question about rib cuts,
but I will start a new thread for that. You guys rock! I have read
several books on barbecue lately, and I have been watching plenty of
TV shows about it. But it was talking to you guys that made the
difference. I never read most of the stuff you all talked about in
the books... in fact, a book told me to make the ribs the way I did
last week!

Your life will never be the same again and you will never enjoy the steamed
ribs at the chain restaurants. . Glad things worked out for you. I made a
mess of ribs today also. Posted a photo on abf

The Fat Man®[_3_] 03-06-2007 06:24 AM

Bilz wrote:
> [...]

> smoker... a much larger fire than I have made before, but with less
> oxygen... and I kept the door closed.
>
> Wow, what a difference! I only had to open the firebox about 4 times
> to add more wood. I maintained a temperature of about 275 for 4.5
> hours. The ribs came out moist and tender... the meat fell right off
> the bone. 10 times less work, and a significantly better rack of ribs
> to eat.
>
> Thanks for all the help. I have a further question about rib cuts,
> but I will start a new thread for that. You guys rock! I have read
> several books on barbecue lately, and I have been watching plenty of
> TV shows about it. But it was talking to you guys that made the
> difference. I never read most of the stuff you all talked about in
> the books... in fact, a book told me to make the ribs the way I did

Grasshopper, I started as you did.

You bring tears to my eyes with your latest post.

I'm smiling over here,
TFM®

The Fat Man®[_3_] 03-06-2007 06:25 AM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Bilz" > wrote in message
>
> Thanks for all the help. I have a further question about rib cuts,
> but I will start a new thread for that. You guys rock! I have read
> several books on barbecue lately, and I have been watching plenty of
> TV shows about it. But it was talking to you guys that made the
> difference. I never read most of the stuff you all talked about in
> the books... in fact, a book told me to make the ribs the way I did
> last week!
>

> Your life will never be the same again and you will never enjoy the
> steamed ribs at the chain restaurants. . Glad things worked out for
> you. I made a mess of ribs today also. Posted a photo on abf

The pic's not there. I ate it.

TFM®

Tinman 03-06-2007 03:02 PM

"Bilz" wrote:

> Well, I must say, all the advice, and some stuff I read in the FAQ
> really paid off. With everything fresh in my mind, I decided to make
> spare ribs again today. This time, it was just one rack for my wife
> and I. I kept it simple... A dry rub before I put the ribs in the
> smoker... a much larger fire than I have made before, but with less
> oxygen... and I kept the door closed.
>
> Wow, what a difference! I only had to open the firebox about 4 times
> to add more wood. I maintained a temperature of about 275 for 4.5
> hours. The ribs came out moist and tender... the meat fell right off
> the bone. 10 times less work, and a significantly better rack of ribs
> to eat.
>
> Thanks for all the help. I have a further question about rib cuts,
> but I will start a new thread for that. You guys rock!
> I have read
> several books on barbecue lately, and I have been watching plenty of
> TV shows about it.

Read through this thread and just had to reply. I too have been watching
plenty of TV shows about BBQ over the last week. I think my PVR recorded
around 25 shows about it. But all it did was confuse the heck out of me. For
one thing, most of the "BBQ" cooked on the shows I watched was cooked in an
oven, and (perhaps) finished on a range-top grill. The true Q shows were
more about events than showing how to do it. I only watched about half the
shows and with my luck I will assume I picked the wrong shows to watch.

One of the shows (Throwdown with Bobby Flay) featured a BBQ guy (Buzz) from
Richmond, VA. This guy seemed to throw everything at his spareribs:
marinade, rub, apple juice, mops, more apple juice in the cooker, finished
with a healthy coating of BBQ sauce after the smoker, and finished by
grilling. They looked fantastic, and he won the throwdown. So I figured I
should try.

In a nutshell, I used Buzz's general technique as best I could. I smoked 'em
on my Traeger first, and finished 'em on the hot TEC burner (Char Broil TEC
series, not a true TEC grill).

What a disaster. First mistake was letting the wife buy the meat. I
emphatically instructed her where to buy the _spareribs_ but "the butcher
man" instead convinced her to buy five racks of tiny little baby backs
(2.5"). She said he told her these were the kind of ribs used in "all of the
restaurants." That's funny, I only remembered seeing such small ribs at
Applebee's. So riblets I called 'em.

No need to bore with the details but I do have 4.5 racks of jerky-like
riblets in the fridge that can't even be eaten as jerky due to the thick and
crunchy char that only the devil himself could love (didn't realize how
quickly the TEC burner was gonna char the things but in hindsight I should
have left them on a little longer to put 'em outta their misery).

Next time it's back to basics. And I think I'm done with TV-show-BBQ. Seems
to be geared towards apartment-dwelling metrosexuals anyway (or at least the
shows I happened to watch).

--
Mike

Edwin Pawlowski 03-06-2007 03:18 PM

"Tinman" > wrote in message

> One of the shows (Throwdown with Bobby Flay) featured a BBQ guy (Buzz)
> from Richmond, VA. This guy seemed to throw everything at his spareribs:
> marinade, rub, apple juice, mops, more apple juice in the cooker, finished
> with a healthy coating of BBQ sauce after the smoker, and finished by
> grilling. They looked fantastic, and he won the throwdown. So I figured I
> should try.

I don't understand using all of that. Just a light rub and proper cooking is
all you need. I sometimes put a little sauce on the side, but even that is
rare and not needed. If the meat is cooked right, there is no need to add
lots of other junk on it. We're cooking meat, not making candy.

Bkhuna 03-06-2007 03:36 PM

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 07:02:59 -0700, "Tinman" > wrote:

>Next time it's back to basics. And I think I'm done with TV-show-BBQ. Seems
>to be geared towards apartment-dwelling metrosexuals anyway (or at least the
>shows I happened to watch).

Them that can't do teach...
Them that can't teach, teach gym...

Them that can't do either, get shows on Food Network.

Dave Bugg 03-06-2007 08:01 PM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> ...... We're cooking
> meat, not making candy.

LOL!!! A barbecue truth was never so pithily stated. What a great sig line.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Mike Avery 03-06-2007 09:07 PM

Where did I go wrong? (Spare Ribs)

I hate to be the netiquette police, but...
Bilz wrote:
<about 500 lines of quotes cut>

You really don't need to quote all of the previous messages. Sometimes
you don't need to quote at all. Just say what you're gonna say. Like,
"thanks for the advice." Sometimes you might want to quote a few lines
to set a context. When you leave EVERYTHING in your message, your
readers have to wade through it to find out what you added. If
anything. Or if you added anything more than "me too!"

> Well, I must say, all the advice, and some stuff I read in the FAQ
> really paid off. With everything fresh in my mind, I decided to make
> spare ribs again today. This time, it was just one rack for my wife
> and I.

*damn* I shoulda been an English teacher. Would you say, "this time, it
was just one rack for I"? No. When you add a second person, you
normally put the other person first, which you did, and then use the
same variation you would use if you were alone in the sentence. Or,
"This time, it was just one rack for my wife and me."

"I went downtown."
"Bobby and I went downtown."

"The ribs were good enough to make me happy."
"The ribs were good enough to make my wife and me happy."

It's easy to do use correct English here... too many teachers get
carried away with making it harder.

Despite my quibbles,.I am very glad you got some good ribs this time!

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
They told me I was gullible ... and I believed them!

Bilz 03-06-2007 09:22 PM

Where did I go wrong? (Spare Ribs)

> Despite my quibbles,.I am very glad you got some good ribs this time!

Seriously, dude? Was this post necessary? I have been on usenet for
about 12 years now... I know how to quote... of course, that doesn't
mean I do it correct every time. In my post, I simply forgot.
Actually, a good news reader hides quoted text anyways.

Come to think of it, the same goes true for your grammar point.
Another case of a rule I know, but missed it when I wrote.

Sorry for not being perfect.

Edwin Pawlowski 03-06-2007 09:24 PM

"Mike Avery" > wrote in message
> It's easy to do use correct English here... too many teachers get carried
> away with making it harder.
>
> Despite my quibbles,.I am very glad you got some good ribs this time!
>
> Mike

Were lucky to have you hear, watching over hour grammar use. Him and me
would be lost withought you.
Thanks alot

Mike Avery 03-06-2007 09:46 PM

Bilz wrote:
>> Despite my quibbles,.I am very glad you got some good ribs this time!
>>

> Seriously, dude? Was this post necessary?

It seems it was.
> I have been on usenet for about 12 years now...

Oh, a newbie. Now I understand. (No matter how long you've been
on-line, someone has been around long enough to call you a newbie.)

Mike