Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Canadian bacon

Since a couple of curing questions arose, this is something else to try.

CANADIAN BACON

A delight to the palate and a treat that you can now enjoy. Canadian Style
Bacon is one of the highest quality and most delicious pork cuts that you
can cure. It is made by curing the loins, then tightly wrapping them.

Few people who do not raise their own meat and do their own curing can
afford to eat this tasty delicacy.

Canadian Style Bacon is not only delicious, but it keeps well and once you
try it you will always want a supply of these sweet, juicy cured loins along
with your hams, shoulders, and regular bacon.

You can use either the Dry Cure or the Sweet Pickle Cure with Morton
Tender-Quick. The Sweet Pickle Cure is generally preferred.

Trim loins from bacon sides. Then trim as shown on opposite page and cut
them in half in order to get them in a small crock for the Pickle Cure, or a
medium size box for the Dry Cure.

DIRECTIONS FOR THE SWEET PICKLE CURE Pack the loins in a stone crock,
standing them on end if the crock is not wide enough to lay them down. Make
a curing pickle by mixing at the rate of 2 lbs. Tender-Quick per gallon of
water. The water should first be boiled and allowed to cool. Stir the
pickle until all of the Tender-Quick dissolves, then pour the Tender-Quick
curing pickle over the loins until they are Fully covered, and weight them
down with a clean stone or other weight to keep them below the pickle.

Overhaul the loins and change the position of the pieces after they have
been in cure about 5 days. Loins from average size hogs should remain in
cure for about 2 weeks. When cured, remove the loins from the pickle, soak
in tepid water for about 30 minutes and wash. Then let the loins dry
thoroughly. After they are dry, rub liberally with a mixture of cornmeal
and black or red pepper, and wrap each loin separately in muslin or other
clean cloth. The cloth should be a few inches longer than the loin. Make a
tight roll and gather the cloth at one end and tie tightly with a string.

Then make half hitch loops around the wrapped loin about every 1 1/2 to the
other end and tie, leaving enough string for hanging up the loins. Before
wrapping, the loins may be hung and given a light smoke, especially if loins
are to be kept for some time.

DIRECTIONS FOR DRY CURE

For the dry cure, use Tender-Quick at the rate of 6 lbs. Tender-Quick per
100 lbs. of loins. First rub the meat with 1/3 of the Tender-Quick, then
in 2 or 3 hours rub on the second 1/3 and in 24 hours apply the balance.
Pack the loins closely while in cure and overhaul once when the curing time
is about half up, changing the position of the pieces.

Leave the pieces in cure for 10 days to two weeks. When taken from the
cure, wash the loins, let them dry thoroughly, and rub with cornmeal and
pepper. Wrap in muslin the same as for the sweet pickle cure.

Canadian style bacon

Will cure up to 25 lbs:

Ingredients:

5 quarts ice water 38-40 degrees F.

6 oz. dextrose

2 oz. Prague Powder #1

8 oz. Salt or (Morton's Tenderquick can be used in place of the last
3 ingredients-follow instructions on bag)

Meat: pork loins Processing:

Dissolve all the ingredients in water. The loins are then spray pumped to
10% of their green weight. Loins are then place into the leftover brine and
placed into cooler for 4-6 days at 38-40 degrees F. Remove from the cooler
and wash under a shower of cold water.

Smoking:

Place in smoker and smoke at 160 degrees F. until an internal temperature of
142 degrees F. is reached. Remove from smoker and cool with tap water until
an internal temperature is reduced to 110 degrees F.

Hang at room temperature until dry. Remove to cooler overnight before
using.

Pea meal bacon:

After curing, the loins are dried somewhat and coated generously with yellow
cornmeal. They are then sliced and fried.

--

Brian Shafer

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
t...
> Since a couple of curing questions arose, this is something else to try.
>
> CANADIAN BACON
>
> Pea meal bacon:
>
> After curing, the loins are dried somewhat and coated generously with
> yellow cornmeal. They are then sliced and fried.

I recently made "Canadian Bacon" by following the directions given with
Mortons Tender Quick. Following some instructions in other books I have I
added some extra flavourings. Taking five two pound pieces of loin I dry
cured them all with the Mortons blend and added respectively to the other
four of a table spoon of brown sugar, maple syrup, honey and molasses. I
smoked them all to almost a hundred and fifty degrees F. They all came out
excellent!

My problem is that Windsor Salt, the corporation that owns Mortons, has no
interest in selling their product in Canada. They sent me two bags of
tender quick when I called their customer service about getting their
products shipped anything but UPS. UPS doesn't service Newfoundland well
and their brokerage fees are outrageous. Does anybody have any sugestions
as to what is an alternate but equal product to Mortons Tender Quick that
might be available in Canada? I found the Mortons product great, but I
won't order in from the US a product which will cost me four times as much
as it should.

The irony is that the Mortons they sent me which they won't sell me in
Canada came from the Montreal offices via Canada Post. It's really too
silly, but this is what I'm being told by their sales office. Any
suggestions?

> --
>
> Brian Shafer

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"D. Winsor" > wrote in message

> My problem is that Windsor Salt, the corporation that owns Mortons, has no
> interest in selling their product in Canada. They sent me two bags of
> tender quick when I called their customer service about getting their
> products shipped anything but UPS. UPS doesn't service Newfoundland well
> and their brokerage fees are outrageous. Does anybody have any sugestions
> as to what is an alternate but equal product to Mortons Tender Quick that
> might be available in Canada? I found the Mortons product great, but I
> won't order in from the US a product which will cost me four times as much
> as it should.

Contact Joe Ames at He will shop via mail but
I have no idea how cost effective it is given the weight of the product.
You may do better by mixing your own instead of paying shipping cost on salt
and sugar. Buy the cure and make your own. It is a combination of Prague
power #1 and #2, salt, sugar.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> "D. Winsor" > wrote in message
> >
> > My problem is that Windsor Salt, the corporation that owns Mortons,
> > has no interest in selling their product in Canada. They sent me
> > two bags of tender quick when I called their customer service about
> > getting their products shipped anything but UPS. UPS doesn't
> > service Newfoundland well and their brokerage fees are outrageous. Does
> > anybody have any sugestions as to what is an alternate but
> > equal product to Mortons Tender Quick that might be available in
> > Canada? I found the Mortons product great, but I won't order in
> > from the US a product which will cost me four times as much as it
> > should.

> Contact Joe Ames at He will shop via
> mail but I have no idea how cost effective it is given the weight of
> the product. You may do better by mixing your own instead of paying
> shipping cost on salt and sugar. Buy the cure and make your own. It
> is a combination of Prague power #1 and #2, salt, sugar.

Cancel that. Recently, Joe has had very poor health and hasn't been doing
any business for several months.
One of his sons was helping (from another state) but not recently.
My e-mails to
have been returned as
undeliverable.
I wish Joe Ames only the best, and I surely miss buying products thatIcan't
find elsewhere.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 11-May-2007, "D. Winsor"
> wrote:

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> t...
> > Since a couple of curing questions arose, this is
> > something else to try.
> >
> > CANADIAN BACON
> >
> > Pea meal bacon:
> >
> > After curing, the loins are dried somewhat and coated
> > generously with
> > yellow cornmeal. They are then sliced and fried.

> I recently made "Canadian Bacon" by following the
> directions given with
> Mortons Tender Quick. Following some instructions in
> other books I have I
> added some extra flavourings. Taking five two pound
> pieces of loin I dry
> cured them all with the Mortons blend and added
> respectively to the other
> four of a table spoon of brown sugar, maple syrup, honey
> and molasses. I
> smoked them all to almost a hundred and fifty degrees F.
> They all came out
> excellent!
>
> My problem is that Windsor Salt, the corporation that owns
> Mortons, has no
> interest in selling their product in Canada. They sent me
> two bags of
> tender quick when I called their customer service about
> getting their
> products shipped anything but UPS. UPS doesn't service
> Newfoundland well
> and their brokerage fees are outrageous. Does anybody
> have any sugestions
> as to what is an alternate but equal product to Mortons
> Tender Quick that
> might be available in Canada? I found the Mortons product
> great, but I
> won't order in from the US a product which will cost me
> four times as much
> as it should.
>
> The irony is that the Mortons they sent me which they
> won't sell me in
> Canada came from the Montreal offices via Canada Post.
> It's really too
> silly, but this is what I'm being told by their sales
> office. Any
> suggestions?
> >

> > --
> >
> > Brian Shafer

Google for "Prague Powder". There are two varieties with
Prague Powder #1 being the one most used for curing
uncooked meats. I'm not the expert and my books are
buried as I write this. You really need to start with the
book called something like "Sausage Making and Meat
Curing" by Rytek Kutas. Basically, Canadians do cure
meat and they don't rely on us Southern Americans for
their supplies.

Here's a Canadian link I found:

http://www.stuffers.com/

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
t...
Buy the cure and make your own. It is a combination of Prague
> power #1 and #2, salt, sugar.

This is just the beginning of that "make your own" impulse". Though I knew
of this option from googling through this group, the Mortons seemed easier
as a beginning. If you're interested I did post some pictures of the
Mortons results on a usenet group called free.nf.binaries. I think the
series was titled Brown Sugar and Honey.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Google for "Prague Powder". There are two varieties with
> Prague Powder #1 being the one most used for curing
> uncooked meats. I'm not the expert and my books are
> buried as I write this. You really need to start with the
> book called something like "Sausage Making and Meat
> Curing" by Rytek Kutas. Basically, Canadians do cure
> meat and they don't rely on us Southern Americans for
> their supplies.
>
> Here's a Canadian link I found:
>
> http://www.stuffers.com/
>
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Yes, I'll be tracking down the Prauge Powder and some cure ratios, but here
in Newfoundland it's much closer to the eastern US than it is to British
Columbia. As I've said, my first decision was to go with the Mortons cures
to start this hobby. I was very surprised that this Canadian company has
absolutely no interest in supplying and accomodating Canadians.

I'll be taking a look for that book. Right now I'm using the hand written
collection of recipes of a turn of the last century relative of mine. I'm
also using "The Art of Making Sausages, Pates, and Other Charcuterie" by
Jane Grigson, and "Charcuterie" by Michael Ruhlman And Brian Polcyn. The
turn of the century relative of mine owned a small butcher shop on Duckworth
Street in St. John's Newfoundland. The Prauge Powder may well be just the
ticket for exploring his recipes which seem to be Scot and English based
mostly. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"D. Winsor" > wrote in message

> I'll try this contact. The Mortons cures seemed the easiest way to get my
> feet wet in this new hobby, but the Prague powder may be may be the most
> cost effective way to go. I've read about Prague powder and it seems that
> it's probably easier to customise recipes with it.
>
> One of the references I'm using is a old mimeograph copy of a hand written
> collection of recipes from just before the turn of the last century. Many
> of the recipes use saltpeter as their cure. Would the amounts for
> saltpeter be the same as Prague powder?

Saltpeter is an ingredient in the cure. Take a look at the reply to ceed
under the Making Bacon thread

Stick to using #1 and the proper amounts for your meat.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 12-May-2007, "D. Winsor"
> wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> > Google for "Prague Powder". There are two varieties with
> > Prague Powder #1 being the one most used for curing
> > uncooked meats. I'm not the expert and my books are
> > buried as I write this. You really need to start with
> > the
> > book called something like "Sausage Making and Meat
> > Curing" by Rytek Kutas. Basically, Canadians do cure
> > meat and they don't rely on us Southern Americans for
> > their supplies.
> >
> > Here's a Canadian link I found:
> >
> > http://www.stuffers.com/
> >
> > --
> > Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

> Yes, I'll be tracking down the Prauge Powder and some cure
> ratios, but here
> in Newfoundland it's much closer to the eastern US than it
> is to British
> Columbia. As I've said, my first decision was to go with
> the Mortons cures
> to start this hobby. I was very surprised that this
> Canadian company has
> absolutely no interest in supplying and accomodating
> Canadians.
>
> I'll be taking a look for that book. Right now I'm using
> the hand written
> collection of recipes of a turn of the last century
> relative of mine. I'm
> also using "The Art of Making Sausages, Pates, and Other
> Charcuterie" by
> Jane Grigson, and "Charcuterie" by Michael Ruhlman And
> Brian Polcyn. The
> turn of the century relative of mine owned a small butcher
> shop on Duckworth
> Street in St. John's Newfoundland. The Prauge Powder may
> well be just the
> ticket for exploring his recipes which seem to be Scot and
> English based
> mostly. Thanks for the suggestions.

For lack of anything better to offer, here's another link
that
looks quite promising.

http://www.sausagemania.com/
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message news:guu1i.633$145.314@trnddc02...
..

> For lack of anything better to offer, here's another link
> that
> looks quite promising.
>
> http://www.sausagemania.com/

That's a neat site too. I'm sure I'll get some ideas from it. I'm
interested in the "Kippermania" section for sure. We enjoy kippered
mackeral fillets for breakfast. It might be neat to try kipper some herring
whole.

> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Canadian Bacon Somebody General Cooking 3 10-10-2012 09:33 PM
REAL Canadian Bacon - Back Bacon - Peameal Bacon Online. [email protected] General Cooking 1 15-09-2007 04:41 PM
Canadian Bacon Scramble Duckie ® Recipes 0 24-09-2005 04:55 PM
Canadian Bacon Soup Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-09-2005 10:11 PM
Canadian Bacon (OK, so this one is OT) alzelt General Cooking 5 01-06-2004 01:03 AM