alzelt

Default Canadian Bacon (OK, so this one is OT)

Just saw a cable re-run of Canadian Bacon, written, produced and
directed by Michael Moore. Absolutely funny, again. Sort of a primer on
how we manage to shoot ourselves in the foot so many times. Most of the
stars in it are Canadian.

For Harry: I taped it and will bring it up with us. Canadians will also
get a huge charge out of it.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"alzelt" > wrote in message
> Just saw a cable re-run of Canadian Bacon, written, produced and
> directed by Michael Moore. Absolutely funny, again. Sort of a primer on
> how we manage to shoot ourselves in the foot so many times. Most of the
> stars in it are Canadian.
>
> For Harry: I taped it and will bring it up with us. Canadians will also
> get a huge charge out of it.
> --
> Alan
>
> "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
> avoid the people, you might better stay home."
> --James Michener

Is Canadian Bacon with Alan Alda playing the president of the US? They try
to create an imaginary war with Canada so that he can improve his popularity
ratings? I remember something about dumping garbage on the shore of one of
the Great Lakes and blaming it on Canada. Or am I confusing that with Wag
the Dog (except Wag the Dog created a war in some Eastern European country).

rona

Gabby

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in message
> Is Canadian Bacon with Alan Alda playing the president of the US? They

try
> to create an imaginary war with Canada so that he can improve his

popularity
> ratings?

Yes, that's the one except it was starting a real 'cold' war.

"Wag the Dog" was about faking a war to get reporters' attention off the
presidential sex scandal.

Gabby

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"alzelt" > wrote in message
> Just saw a cable re-run of Canadian Bacon, written, produced and
> directed by Michael Moore. Absolutely funny, again. Sort of a primer on
> how we manage to shoot ourselves in the foot so many times. Most of the
> stars in it are Canadian.

Is Canadian Bacon with Alan Alda playing the president of the US? They try
to create an imaginary war with Canada so that he can improve his
popularity
ratings? I remember something about dumping garbage on the shore of one of
the Great Lakes and blaming it on Canada. Or am I confusing that with Wag
the Dog (except Wag the Dog created a war in some Eastern European
country).

If I'm thinking about the right one, I didn't realize it was a Michael Moore
film It was quite funny, though, especially when watching it with a group
of Americans.

rona

Michel Boucher

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in
:

> Is Canadian Bacon with Alan Alda playing the president of the US?
> They try to create an imaginary war with Canada so that he can
> improve his popularity ratings?

I believe the issue was that the economy sucked and a war would
distract people from unemployment and despair. Let's not confuse fact
and fiction here. Wars and security alerts for popularity ratings =
fact (i.e. we know they happen); wars for unemployment = fiction (i.e.
we know that no one in power really cares about the unemployed).

--

Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?

Gimli, son of Gloín

alzelt

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> Is Canadian Bacon with Alan Alda playing the president of the US? They try
> to create an imaginary war with Canada so that he can improve his popularity
> ratings? I remember something about dumping garbage on the shore of one of
> the Great Lakes and blaming it on Canada. Or am I confusing that with Wag
> the Dog (except Wag the Dog created a war in some Eastern European country).
>
> rona

You got it right. In light of today's world, it is very timely, still,
as well.