Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Overnight Smoking?

I've smoked pork shoulders for pulled pork sandwiches many times with great
results. My daughter's 16th birthday party is coming up, and she told me she
wants me to smoke one--her friends all love my BBQ. 8-)

Normally, I smoke them for about 12 hours at 225-250. I use a Grilldome ceramic
smoker, so adding coals doesn't need to happen until at least 8 hours later. Up
till now, I get up around 5:00AM, and start smoking. We eat around 7:00PM that
day.

We've decided to have her party at noon on a Saturday. I'm thinking about
starting the shoulders around 10:00PM on Friday night and staying up until
midnight to make sure everything is OK. Then off to bed until 6:00AM and check
the smoker.

Do you folks do this as well?

Mark
"I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself."

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, kilikini says...

>We've never had a butt or shoulder take that long to cook, brisket yes,
>shoulder or butt, no. I'd say ours take about 6 hours at 250 degrees.
>Anyone else?

15-18 lbs. of pork shoulder cooked to 195 degrees to pull takes me a lot more
than 6 hours. I cannot violate the laws of physics. ;-)

Mark
"I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself."

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mark,

I do the Boston Butts overnight 3-4 times a year. I have a Chargriller with
a firebox, so the heat needs to be monitored more closely. Originally, I
would get up every two hours, but I have learned to keep the heat more
stable. I probably get up twice during the night when the temp alarm wakes
me.

Have you every tried "Mr. Brown" from the Smoke and Spice book?

It usually takes me appox. 12 hrs.

-Tim

"Mark Filice" > wrote in message
> I've smoked pork shoulders for pulled pork sandwiches many times with
> great
> results. My daughter's 16th birthday party is coming up, and she told me
> she
> wants me to smoke one--her friends all love my BBQ. 8-)
>
> Normally, I smoke them for about 12 hours at 225-250. I use a Grilldome
> ceramic
> smoker, so adding coals doesn't need to happen until at least 8 hours
> later. Up
> till now, I get up around 5:00AM, and start smoking. We eat around 7:00PM
> that
> day.
>
> We've decided to have her party at noon on a Saturday. I'm thinking about
> starting the shoulders around 10:00PM on Friday night and staying up until
> midnight to make sure everything is OK. Then off to bed until 6:00AM and
> check
> the smoker.
>
> Do you folks do this as well?
>
> Mark
> "I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself."

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, Anonymous says...

>Have you every tried "Mr. Brown" from the Smoke and Spice book?
>
>It usually takes me appox. 12 hrs.
>
>-Tim

Thanks!

I haven't tried "Mr. Brown", but I think I found it he

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html

As I suspected, it takes a lot longer than 6 hours to cook the pork shoulder to
190+ degrees to pull.

I've done 2 shoulders together. I take one off at about 175-180 degrees for
slicing. The other one finishes off and I pull it. I like doing them this way,
as we get to eat the sliced one earlier in the day.

I'll probably go ahead with my schedule and start at 10:00PM. Get to bed at
midnight, and check it at 3:00AM--(I'll be curious to see how it is going).

Mark
"I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself".

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mark Filice wrote:
> I've smoked pork shoulders for pulled pork sandwiches many times with
> great results. My daughter's 16th birthday party is coming up, and
> she told me she wants me to smoke one--her friends all love my BBQ.
> 8-)
>
> Normally, I smoke them for about 12 hours at 225-250. I use a
> Grilldome ceramic smoker, so adding coals doesn't need to happen
> until at least 8 hours later. Up till now, I get up around 5:00AM,
> and start smoking. We eat around 7:00PM that day.
>
> We've decided to have her party at noon on a Saturday. I'm thinking
> about starting the shoulders around 10:00PM on Friday night and
> staying up until midnight to make sure everything is OK. Then off to
> bed until 6:00AM and check the smoker.
>
> Do you folks do this as well?
>
> Mark
> "I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself."

We've never had a butt or shoulder take that long to cook, brisket yes,
shoulder or butt, no. I'd say ours take about 6 hours at 250 degrees.
Anyone else?

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mark Filice" > wrote in message

> In article >, kilikini
> says...
> >
> > We've never had a butt or shoulder take that long to cook, brisket
> > yes, shoulder or butt, no. I'd say ours take about 6 hours at 250
> > degrees. Anyone else?
> >

> 15-18 lbs. of pork shoulder cooked to 195 degrees to pull takes me a
> lot more than 6 hours. I cannot violate the laws of physics. ;-)
>
> Mark
> "I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself."

Is that one shoulder 15 to 18 pounds or two butts? It makes a great big
difference.
One shoulder that large would take longer than the 6 hours, but two butts of
about 8 pounds each shouldn't take much longer that 6 to 8 hours @ 250.

I'd go for getting it ready early. Then depending on how much early, you
can wrap the meat (pulled or not) in plastic or foil, then wrap in a couple
of towels and place in a cooler (without ice!). It will stay warm for 4 to
6, maybe even 8 hours, depending on the cooler. My Cambro will keep several
butts hot for at least 8 hours.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I know that it takes a lot of the "fun" out of it, but you can purchase
differential thermostats that will control the temperature inside your
pit by using a fan to cool things down when it gets too warm. I have
the electronic equivalent on my Bradley smoker, but it regulates the
heater temperature electronically and directly, without introducing
outside air. http://www.thebbqguru.com/index.cfm

The way both systems work is that there are two probes that go into the
hood. One clips to the rack supporting the meat and sends the
controller a very accurate temperature at the level where the meat is
cooking. The second probe is pointed and is inserted into the meat at
the thickest point.

On the differential thermostat, one dial sets the maximum hood
temperature you want, while the other selects the internal meat
temperature. There's a readout for the difference in the two
temperatures. When the meat temp has risen to about 25 degrees of the
desired temperature, the differential thermostat kicks in and begins to
reduce the hood temperature. This is done continuously, until the two
temperatures are equal.

As I mentioned previously, the charcoal/coals version includes a fan
that is controlled by the differential thermostat, and works by bringing
in outside air to cool things down. The one I have for my Bradley
continuously interrupts power to the heating element, and the side
benefit is virtually no swing (latency) in the hood temperature. I
absolutely love it and consider my Pit Boss to be one of the neatest
barbecue gadgets I've ever purchased. What it does is let me play with
marinades, sauces, time/temp and mops, while having total repeatability
in the actual cooking or smoking process. It means that when we have
company, I can put ribs or a butt on and go with them to see things,
rather than stay home and tend the barbecue. It also means I can go to
bed at night and not have to worry about getting up and tending the pit.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, BOB says...

>Is that one shoulder 15 to 18 pounds or two butts? It makes a great big
>difference.

Costco calls them shoulders and has them 2 to a pack. 15 to 18 lbs. total of
pork.

>One shoulder that large would take longer than the 6 hours, but two butts of
>about 8 pounds each shouldn't take much longer that 6 to 8 hours @ 250.

I cook 'em at 225-250 degrees until they reach an internal temperature of 190+
degrees. If it only took 6-8 hours, I'd eat earlier in the day. They take about
12 hours to get to the right temperature. I've done enough of them to anticipate
the cooking time fairly accurately. I've done a 6-7 lb. butt that took half as
long.

>Then depending on how much early, you
>can wrap the meat (pulled or not) in plastic or foil, then wrap in a couple
>of towels and place in a cooler (without ice!). It will stay warm for 4 to
>6, maybe even 8 hours, depending on the cooler. My Cambro will keep several
>butts hot for at least 8 hours.

I've transported lots of 'Q wrapped in foil inside a cooler. It does stay warm
for hours. I still can't get over opening up the lid and feeling the heat coming
from the box. After years of using a cooler for beer, it just seems strange 8-0

>Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

Thanks, I will. The party will probably be on May 19th.

Mark
"I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself."

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mark Filice wrote:
> In article >, kilikini
> says...
>>
>> We've never had a butt or shoulder take that long to cook, brisket
>> yes, shoulder or butt, no. I'd say ours take about 6 hours at 250
>> degrees. Anyone else?
>>

> 15-18 lbs. of pork shoulder cooked to 195 degrees to pull takes me a
> lot more than 6 hours. I cannot violate the laws of physics. ;-)
>
> Mark
> "I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself."

Well, I should have asked how large it was - I'm talking the shoulder, here.
:~)

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 25 Apr 2007 11:19:28 -0700, Mark Filice
> wrote:

>I've smoked pork shoulders for pulled pork sandwiches many times with great
>results. My daughter's 16th birthday party is coming up, and she told me she
>wants me to smoke one--her friends all love my BBQ. 8-)
>
>Normally, I smoke them for about 12 hours at 225-250. I use a Grilldome ceramic
>smoker, so adding coals doesn't need to happen until at least 8 hours later. Up
>till now, I get up around 5:00AM, and start smoking. We eat around 7:00PM that
>day.
>
>We've decided to have her party at noon on a Saturday. I'm thinking about
>starting the shoulders around 10:00PM on Friday night and staying up until
>midnight to make sure everything is OK. Then off to bed until 6:00AM and check
>the smoker.
>
>Do you folks do this as well?
>
>Mark
>"I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself."

I have switched to the following for butts.

Prep the day before and set up the cooker.

Get up at 6 Ey:Emm fire up the coals and when ready and stable install
the butt, [I run at 285 - 300F].

Butt s/be ready in and around 4-6 Pee:Emm - rest it out and pull and
serve.

Meanwhile you've had a nap until 9- 10 Ey:Emm and are not wrecked for
the main event - Eating.

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:44:04 -0400, "Anonymous" > wrote:

>Mark,
>
>I do the Boston Butts overnight 3-4 times a year. I have a Chargriller with
>a firebox, so the heat needs to be monitored more closely. Originally, I
>would get up every two hours, but I have learned to keep the heat more
>stable. I probably get up twice during the night when the temp alarm wakes
>me.
>
>Have you every tried "Mr. Brown" from the Smoke and Spice book?
>
>It usually takes me appox. 12 hrs.
>
>-Tim

A lot, but I now raise the temp somewhat [on advice from Big Jim] and
no longer pull overnighters. Nobody has complained yet.

Harry

>"Mark Filice" > wrote in message
>> I've smoked pork shoulders for pulled pork sandwiches many times with
>> great
>> results. My daughter's 16th birthday party is coming up, and she told me
>> she
>> wants me to smoke one--her friends all love my BBQ. 8-)
>>
>> Normally, I smoke them for about 12 hours at 225-250. I use a Grilldome
>> ceramic
>> smoker, so adding coals doesn't need to happen until at least 8 hours
>> later. Up
>> till now, I get up around 5:00AM, and start smoking. We eat around 7:00PM
>> that
>> day.
>>
>> We've decided to have her party at noon on a Saturday. I'm thinking about
>> starting the shoulders around 10:00PM on Friday night and staying up until
>> midnight to make sure everything is OK. Then off to bed until 6:00AM and
>> check
>> the smoker.
>>
>> Do you folks do this as well?
>>
>> Mark
>> "I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself."

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 25-Apr-2007, "kilikini" > wrote:

> Mark Filice wrote:
> > I've smoked pork shoulders for pulled pork sandwiches many times with
> > great results. My daughter's 16th birthday party is coming up, and
> > she told me she wants me to smoke one--her friends all love my BBQ.
> > 8-)
> >
> > Normally, I smoke them for about 12 hours at 225-250. I use a
> > Grilldome ceramic smoker, so adding coals doesn't need to happen
> > until at least 8 hours later. Up till now, I get up around 5:00AM,
> > and start smoking. We eat around 7:00PM that day.
> >
> > We've decided to have her party at noon on a Saturday. I'm thinking
> > about starting the shoulders around 10:00PM on Friday night and
> > staying up until midnight to make sure everything is OK. Then off to
> > bed until 6:00AM and check the smoker.
> >
> > Do you folks do this as well?
> >
> > Mark
> > "I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself."

> We've never had a butt or shoulder take that long to cook, brisket yes,
> shoulder or butt, no. I'd say ours take about 6 hours at 250 degrees.
> Anyone else?
>
> kili

Eight pound butts take 5 to 7 hours at my house using an offset
New Braunfels smoker. Same with picnics. Ribs take considerably
less time, usually around 4 hours.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 25-Apr-2007, "kilikini" > wrote:
>

>> Mark Filice wrote:
>>
>>> I've smoked pork shoulders for pulled pork sandwiches many times with
>>> great results. My daughter's 16th birthday party is coming up, and
>>> she told me she wants me to smoke one--her friends all love my BBQ.
>>> 8-)
>>>
>>> Normally, I smoke them for about 12 hours at 225-250. I use a
>>> Grilldome ceramic smoker, so adding coals doesn't need to happen
>>> until at least 8 hours later. Up till now, I get up around 5:00AM,
>>> and start smoking. We eat around 7:00PM that day.
>>>
>>> We've decided to have her party at noon on a Saturday. I'm thinking
>>> about starting the shoulders around 10:00PM on Friday night and
>>> staying up until midnight to make sure everything is OK. Then off to
>>> bed until 6:00AM and check the smoker.
>>>
>>> Do you folks do this as well?
>>>
>>> Mark
>>> "I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself."
>>>

>> We've never had a butt or shoulder take that long to cook, brisket yes,
>> shoulder or butt, no. I'd say ours take about 6 hours at 250 degrees.
>> Anyone else?

There's a difference between pulled pork and cooked pork. When you want
to do pulled pork, the meat should be beyond tender and falling off the
bone, falling apart. It takes longer than just cooking the pork until
it is "done". 12 to 16 hours is not unreasonable in my limited experience.

I'm not familiar with the OP's rig, and I'd have reservations about
letting it cook while I slept, but the timing and such sounds OK. I'd
suggest having a fall-back plan in case the fire goes out or some other
disaster befalls you. It was for such things that the wireless barbecue
thermometers were invented. You might look around for one so if the
temperature gets too far out of line you'll be awakened.

Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I've used the Renowned Mr Brown from the weberbullet form with
success. I use a weber bullet and start about 9PM the night before.
14+ hrs @ 225* renders most of the fat and connective tissue and
leaves yummy meat with spicy "bark" on the outside.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
>I know that it takes a lot of the "fun" out of it, but you can purchase
>differential thermostats that will control the temperature inside your pit
>by using a fan to cool things down when it gets too warm. I have the
>electronic equivalent on my Bradley smoker, but it regulates the heater
>temperature electronically and directly, without introducing outside air.
>http://www.thebbqguru.com/index.cfm
>
> The way both systems work is that there are two probes that go into the
> hood. One clips to the rack supporting the meat and sends the controller
> a very accurate temperature at the level where the meat is cooking. The
> second probe is pointed and is inserted into the meat at the thickest
> point.
>
> On the differential thermostat, one dial sets the maximum hood temperature
> you want, while the other selects the internal meat temperature. There's
> a readout for the difference in the two temperatures. When the meat temp
> has risen to about 25 degrees of the desired temperature, the differential
> thermostat kicks in and begins to reduce the hood temperature. This is
> done continuously, until the two temperatures are equal.
>
> As I mentioned previously, the charcoal/coals version includes a fan that
> is controlled by the differential thermostat, and works by bringing in
> outside air to cool things down. The one I have for my Bradley
> continuously interrupts power to the heating element, and the side benefit
> is virtually no swing (latency) in the hood temperature. I absolutely
> love it and consider my Pit Boss to be one of the neatest barbecue gadgets
> I've ever purchased. What it does is let me play with marinades, sauces,
> time/temp and mops, while having total repeatability in the actual cooking
> or smoking process. It means that when we have company, I can put ribs or
> a butt on and go with them to see things, rather than stay home and tend
> the barbecue. It also means I can go to bed at night and not have to
> worry about getting up and tending the pit.
>
> Nonny

I wonder how this would work with a gas fired smoker?

> Mark Filice wrote:
>> In article >, Anonymous says...
>>>
>>> Have you every tried "Mr. Brown" from the Smoke and Spice book?
>>>
>>> It usually takes me appox. 12 hrs.
>>>
>>> -Tim
>>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> I haven't tried "Mr. Brown", but I think I found it he
>>
>> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html
>>
>> As I suspected, it takes a lot longer than 6 hours to cook the pork
>> shoulder to
>> 190+ degrees to pull.
>>
>> I've done 2 shoulders together. I take one off at about 175-180 degrees
>> for
>> slicing. The other one finishes off and I pull it. I like doing them this
>> way,
>> as we get to eat the sliced one earlier in the day.
>>
>> I'll probably go ahead with my schedule and start at 10:00PM. Get to bed
>> at
>> midnight, and check it at 3:00AM--(I'll be curious to see how it is
>> going).
>>
>> Mark
>> "I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself".
>>

> --
> ---Nonnymus---
> Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
> For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
> And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

43fan wrote:

> I wonder how this would work with a gas fired smoker?

I'm a little confused why you'd ask. With a gasser, temp
control should be a pretty simple matter of setting the
burners and adjusting with the unit closed and when it gets
to the temp you want (hopefully, that's 225-250dF ;-) ) then
you should be good to go. As long as you don't run out of
gas of course.

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"43fan" > wrote in message

> I wonder how this would work with a gas fired smoker?

Mine just holds the temperature all night within about =- 5 degrees. No
accessories needed.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "43fan" > wrote in message
>>>

>> I wonder how this would work with a gas fired smoker?

> Mine just holds the temperature all night within about =- 5 degrees. No
> accessories needed.

Mine, too. It's a GOSM, but I'm sure there are other ones that do as good a
job or better.

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"EZ" > wrote in message
. net...
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>> "43fan" > wrote in message
>>>>

>>> I wonder how this would work with a gas fired smoker?

>> Mine just holds the temperature all night within about =- 5 degrees. No
>> accessories needed.

> Mine, too. It's a GOSM, but I'm sure there are other ones that do as good
> a job or better.

That's what I have, well, the cheapo version from Walmart. I used to use
water in the pan, but it seemed to really cause fluctuations in the temp,
especially when the water all boiled out. Now that I don't use any, it holds
it better, but it can still move around some.

> --
> EZ
> Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"
> CharGriller Smokin Pro
> Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Wide Body
> CharmGlow 3-burner All-Stainless Gas Grill
> Weber Kettle One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
> Weber Kettle Smoky Joe Silver 14-1/2"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

The same company that sells the differential thermostat and electric
heater controls I use, also makes a fan version for charcoal smokers.
The fan blows outside air into the hood to control the temperature.
Presumably, you'd run the gas a little hot and let the fan "waste" some
of the heat to maintain the desired temperature.

What's important, however, is that there is no fiddling with controls or
checking things for an overnighter. You set the INITIAL hood
temperature and the desired meat temperature. The differential
thermostat then begins to lower the hood temperature to the meat's
setpoint as the meat cooks.

Nonny

43fan wrote:
> [...]

>>> slicing. The other one finishes off and I pull it. I like doing them this
>>> way,
>>> as we get to eat the sliced one earlier in the day.
>>>
>>> I'll probably go ahead with my schedule and start at 10:00PM. Get to bed
>>> at
>>> midnight, and check it at 3:00AM--(I'll be curious to see how it is
>>> going).
>>>
>>> Mark
>>> "I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself".
>>>

>> --
>> ---Nonnymus---
>> Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
>> For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
>> And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

--
---Nonnymus---
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 25, 2:16 pm, Mark Filice > wrote:
> In article >, Anonymous says...
>
> >Have you every tried "Mr. Brown" from the Smoke and Spice book?

> >It usually takes me appox. 12 hrs.

> >-Tim

> Thanks!
>
> I haven't tried "Mr. Brown", but I think I found it he
>
> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html
>
> As I suspected, it takes a lot longer than 6 hours to cook the pork shoulder to
> 190+ degrees to pull.
>
> I've done 2 shoulders together. I take one off at about 175-180 degrees for
> slicing. The other one finishes off and I pull it. I like doing them this way,
> as we get to eat the sliced one earlier in the day.
>
> I'll probably go ahead with my schedule and start at 10:00PM. Get to bed at
> midnight, and check it at 3:00AM--(I'll be curious to see how it is going).
>
> Mark
> "I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself".

I've done several 5 or 6 pound butts, starting around 5 am. and it
usually takes 12-13 hours to get the internal temp up to 170-175. It
sure is good.

Ham left out overnight Paul M. Cook General Cooking 59 16-12-2017 03:42 AM
Smoking meat overnight George Leppla General Cooking 8 10-09-2012 02:35 PM
Overnight Tuna Casserole Cathy Leslie Recipes (moderated) 0 01-09-2006 03:58 AM
Overnight smoking??? 43fan Barbecue 25 11-07-2006 02:04 PM
First overnight smoke. Bob Barbecue 2 03-02-2004 04:06 PM