Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Freshness sensor

I was at Sharper Image today and saw something I'm not familiar with.
http://tinyurl.com/yoadza While it seems like a good idea, does
anyone understand how it works or how effective it might actually be?
--
---Nonnymus---
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:
> I was at Sharper Image today and saw something I'm not familiar with.
> http://tinyurl.com/yoadza While it seems like a good idea, does
> anyone understand how it works or how effective it might actually be?

As they say, an 'electronic "nose"'
i.e. it's looking for those same tell-tale smells that signals the
growth of bacteria, yeasts, and molds.

Ammonia and alcohols probably

Better writeup here.
http://www.boston.com/business/globe..._of_freshness/

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
>I was at Sharper Image today and saw something I'm not familiar with.
>http://tinyurl.com/yoadza While it seems like a good idea, does anyone
>understand how it works or how effective it might actually be?
> --

Yes. it is a handheld electronic "nose" that uses leading-edge food-safety
technology

The manual also states:
of bacterial by-products present in the air directly above

the uncooked meat or poultry, it is important to take the

measurement immediately after opening the package,

before the gases have slowly drifted into the surrounding air.

Waiting more than 5 minutes after opening may result in a

faulty reading.

I'd not trust this, nor would I spend any money to get one of such limited
use.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 16:44:22 -0700, Nonnymus wrote:

> I'd want to use it at the store before I buy any meat, so I'd be
> ripping packages open (is that wrong?). Also, I wonder how it
> would feel about my well-used wooden cutting board.
>
> -sw

Studies have found that wood is not a good medium for bacteria to
survive. It may be cleaner than you think.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sonoran Dude wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 16:44:22 -0700, Nonnymus wrote:

>> I'd want to use it at the store before I buy any meat, so I'd be
>> ripping packages open (is that wrong?). Also, I wonder how it
>> would feel about my well-used wooden cutting board.
>>
>> -sw

> Studies have found that wood is not a good medium for bacteria to
> survive. It may be cleaner than you think.

Oops... I am corrected...
http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/health/fo...ty/az1076.html

Member

Check that once as well: Cutting boards: A-Z - Restaurant Equipment & Food Service Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoran Dude View Post
Sonoran Dude wrote:
Steve Wertz wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 16:44:22 -0700, Nonnymus wrote:

I'd want to use it at the store before I buy any meat, so I'd be
ripping packages open (is that wrong?). Also, I wonder how it
would feel about my well-used wooden cutting board.

-sw

Studies have found that wood is not a good medium for bacteria to
survive. It may be cleaner than you think.

Oops... I am corrected...
http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/health/fo...ty/az1076.html

Egg freshness [email protected] General Cooking 25 30-10-2014 04:37 AM
Temp sensor in range oven Pete C. General Cooking 5 28-12-2010 03:39 AM
freshness questions FarmerGirl Baking 12 17-11-2006 07:08 PM
Food freshness Don General Cooking 1 10-10-2006 10:48 AM
Tefal 3215 pressure cooker - Sensor device Richard Wright Cooking Equipment 1 26-11-2005 07:52 PM