Posted to rec.food.baking

Default freshness questions

I apologize if this has been discussed before. I only recently joined
this newsgroup.

How does one tell whether their
cream of tartar
baking soda
and baking powder
are still fresh? Is there a test you can do? We're about to get ready
to bake Christmas cookies, and I don't want things to come out flat if
my ingredients aren't working properly.

Thank you for any insight,
Bobbett

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, FarmerGirl wrote:

> I apologize if this has been discussed before. I only recently joined
> this newsgroup.
>
> How does one tell whether their
> cream of tartar
> baking soda
> and baking powder
> are still fresh? Is there a test you can do? We're about to get ready
> to bake Christmas cookies, and I don't want things to come out flat if
> my ingredients aren't working properly.
>
> Thank you for any insight,
> Bobbett

Cream of Tartar and baking soda should remain fresh, as long as they are
not damp or caked. Probably OK, even if you have to re-powder them.

Baking powder will lose its raising power, if it absorbs any moisture. You
should be able to test it my dropping a quarter teaspoonful into some
water. If it fizzes and leaves litte residue, it's fine.
Dave
Posted to rec.food.baking

> Cream of Tartar and baking soda should remain fresh, as long as they are
> not damp or caked. Probably OK, even if you have to re-powder them.
>
> Baking powder will lose its raising power, if it absorbs any moisture. You
> should be able to test it my dropping a quarter teaspoonful into some
> water. If it fizzes and leaves litte residue, it's fine.
> Dave

Thank you :-) I knew one could be tested with the water, but didn't
remember which.

Bobbett

Posted to rec.food.baking

Unless you're on a tight budget, I would bite the bullet and buy fresh
leaveners for important stuff that you probably don't want to be less
than perfect. Sure, there's some waste-not-want-not and/or tightwad
satisfaction to be had from using elderly ingredients, but is it worth
the risk? (Not that we're talking life and death here, to be sure...)

Bob
============================
In article >,
says...
> I apologize if this has been discussed before. I only recently joined
> this newsgroup.
>
> How does one tell whether their
> cream of tartar
> baking soda
> and baking powder
> are still fresh? Is there a test you can do? We're about to get ready
> to bake Christmas cookies, and I don't want things to come out flat if
> my ingredients aren't working properly.
>
> Thank you for any insight,
> Bobbett

Posted to rec.food.baking

yetanotherBob wrote:
> Unless you're on a tight budget, I would bite the bullet and buy fresh
> leaveners for important stuff that you probably don't want to be less
> than perfect. Sure, there's some waste-not-want-not and/or tightwad
> satisfaction to be had from using elderly ingredients, but is it worth
> the risk? (Not that we're talking life and death here, to be sure...)
>
> Bob
> ============================
> In article >,
> says...
> > I apologize if this has been discussed before. I only recently joined
> > this newsgroup.
> >
> > How does one tell whether their
> > cream of tartar
> > baking soda
> > and baking powder
> > are still fresh? Is there a test you can do? We're about to get ready
> > to bake Christmas cookies, and I don't want things to come out flat if
> > my ingredients aren't working properly.
> >
> > Thank you for any insight,
> > Bobbett

I second that- you want your stuff to come out the best possible- not
worth risking using old stuff for something that may not turn out as
you wanted

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 17:18:50 -0500, yetanotherBob
> wrote:

>Unless you're on a tight budget, I would bite the bullet and buy fresh
>leaveners for important stuff that you probably don't want to be less
>than perfect. Sure, there's some waste-not-want-not and/or tightwad
>satisfaction to be had from using elderly ingredients, but is it worth
>the risk? (Not that we're talking life and death here, to be sure...)
>
>Bob
>============================
>In article >,
says...
>> I apologize if this has been discussed before. I only recently joined
>> this newsgroup.
>>
>> How does one tell whether their
>> cream of tartar
>> baking soda
>> and baking powder
>> are still fresh? Is there a test you can do? We're about to get ready
>> to bake Christmas cookies, and I don't want things to come out flat if
>> my ingredients aren't working properly.
>>
>> Thank you for any insight,
>> Bobbett

I agree with Bob. Baking soda stays good forever (at least I hope so
judging by the amount I have.) I do not know about Cream of Tartar,
but the can of baking powder I just bought has an expiration date of
Feb. 2008. I always buy fresh baking powder in November for my
Christmas baking. It might be ok, but it is just about the cheapest
ingredient so why take chances.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.baking

If you follow the link and scroll down the right side of the page,
baking911.com has a couple of things to say about the freshness of baking
soda and baking powder.
http://www.baking911.com/pantry/leaveners.htm

"FarmerGirl" > wrote in message
>I apologize if this has been discussed before. I only recently joined this
>newsgroup.
>
> How does one tell whether their
> cream of tartar
> baking soda
> and baking powder
> are still fresh? Is there a test you can do? We're about to get ready to
> bake Christmas cookies, and I don't want things to come out flat if my
> ingredients aren't working properly.
>
> Thank you for any insight,
> Bobbett

Posted to rec.food.baking

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 17:18:50 -0500, yetanotherBob
> > wrote:
>
>>Unless you're on a tight budget, I would bite the bullet and buy fresh
>>leaveners for important stuff that you probably don't want to be less
>>than perfect. Sure, there's some waste-not-want-not and/or tightwad
>>satisfaction to be had from using elderly ingredients, but is it worth
>>the risk? (Not that we're talking life and death here, to be sure...)
>>
>>Bob
>>============================
>>In article >,
says...
>>> I apologize if this has been discussed before. I only recently joined
>>> this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> How does one tell whether their
>>> cream of tartar
>>> baking soda
>>> and baking powder
>>> are still fresh? Is there a test you can do? We're about to get ready
>>> to bake Christmas cookies, and I don't want things to come out flat if
>>> my ingredients aren't working properly.
>>>
>>> Thank you for any insight,
>>> Bobbett
>>>

> I agree with Bob. Baking soda stays good forever (at least I hope so
> judging by the amount I have.) I do not know about Cream of Tartar,
> but the can of baking powder I just bought has an expiration date of
> Feb. 2008. I always buy fresh baking powder in November for my
> Christmas baking. It might be ok, but it is just about the cheapest
> ingredient so why take chances.
> --
> Susan N.

This is what Penzey's says on it's site
Cream of Tartar
Cream of tartar is used to stabilize delicate foods like meringue toppings
and other baked egg white products. Natural tartaric acid. From France.

I have on hand several bottles of tartaric acid; none of which has a 'use
by' date. (I use it for cheesemaking.)
Dee

Posted to rec.food.baking

Dee Randall wrote:
> "The Cook" > wrote in message
>
>>On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 17:18:50 -0500, yetanotherBob
> wrote:
>>

>>>Unless you're on a tight budget, I would bite the bullet and buy fresh
>>>leaveners for important stuff that you probably don't want to be less
>>>than perfect. Sure, there's some waste-not-want-not and/or tightwad
>>>satisfaction to be had from using elderly ingredients, but is it worth
>>>the risk? (Not that we're talking life and death here, to be sure...)
>>>
>>>Bob
>>>============================
>>>In article >,
says...

>>I agree with Bob. Baking soda stays good forever (at least I hope so
>>judging by the amount I have.) I do not know about Cream of Tartar,
>>but the can of baking powder I just bought has an expiration date of
>>Feb. 2008. I always buy fresh baking powder in November for my
>>Christmas baking. It might be ok, but it is just about the cheapest
>>ingredient so why take chances.
>>--
>>Susan N.
>>

> This is what Penzey's says on it's site
> Cream of Tartar
> Cream of tartar is used to stabilize delicate foods like meringue toppings
> and other baked egg white products. Natural tartaric acid. From France.
>
> I have on hand several bottles of tartaric acid; none of which has a 'use
> by' date. (I use it for cheesemaking.)
> Dee

Actuall;y, I think I mis-spoke - perhaos Roy / Chembake will step in and
correct me - I think it's the bicarbonate component, not the acid
component. Some use Ammonium Bicarbonate, I believe, and probably
Tartaric Acid...

Dave
Posted to rec.food.baking

Dave Bell wrote:
> Dee Randall wrote:
> > "The Cook" > wrote in message

> says...

> >>I agree with Bob. Baking soda stays good forever (at least I hope so
> >>judging by the amount I have.) I do not know about Cream of Tartar,
> >>but the can of baking powder I just bought has an expiration date of
> >>Feb. 2008. I always buy fresh baking powder in November for my
> >>Christmas baking. It might be ok, but it is just about the cheapest
> >>ingredient so why take chances.
> >>--
> >>Susan N.
> >>

> > This is what Penzey's says on it's site
> > Cream of Tartar
> > Cream of tartar is used to stabilize delicate foods like meringue toppings
> > and other baked egg white products. Natural tartaric acid. From France.
> >
> > I have on hand several bottles of tartaric acid; none of which has a 'use
> > by' date. (I use it for cheesemaking.)
> > Dee

> Actuall;y, I think I mis-spoke - perhaos Roy / Chembake will step in and
> correct me - I think it's the bicarbonate component, not the acid
> component. Some use Ammonium Bicarbonate, I believe, and probably
> Tartaric Acid...
>
> Dave

I believe cream of tartar and tartaric acid are not the same thing,
correct??

Posted to rec.food.baking

Merryb wrote:

> Dave Bell wrote:
>

>>Actuall;y, I think I mis-spoke - perhaos Roy / Chembake will step in and
>>correct me - I think it's the bicarbonate component, not the acid
>>component. Some use Ammonium Bicarbonate, I believe, and probably
>>Tartaric Acid...
>>
>>Dave

> I believe cream of tartar and tartaric acid are not the same thing,
> correct??

You're right, they're not the same thing.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.baking

Merryb wrote:
> Dave Bell wrote:
>
>>Dee Randall wrote:

says...

>>>This is what Penzey's says on it's site
>>>Cream of Tartar
>>>Cream of tartar is used to stabilize delicate foods like meringue toppings
>>>and other baked egg white products. Natural tartaric acid. From France.
>>>
>>>I have on hand several bottles of tartaric acid; none of which has a 'use
>>>by' date. (I use it for cheesemaking.)
>>>Dee

>>Actuall;y, I think I mis-spoke - perhaos Roy / Chembake will step in and
>>correct me - I think it's the bicarbonate component, not the acid
>>component. Some use Ammonium Bicarbonate, I believe, and probably
>>Tartaric Acid...
>>
>>Dave

> I believe cream of tartar and tartaric acid are not the same thing,
> correct??

True - cream of tartar is potassium hydrogen tartrate, which hydrolyzes
to release tartaric acid in solution, I believe...

Dave
Posted to rec.food.baking

Dave Bell wrote:

> Actuall;y, I think I mis-spoke - perhaos Roy / Chembake will step in and
> correct me - I think it's the bicarbonate component, not the acid
> component. Some use Ammonium Bicarbonate, I believe, and probably
> Tartaric Acid...
>
> Dave

Hello Dave,
I would add that
Ammonium bicarbonate is used as the leavening agent( itself ) in low
moisture baked goods such as cookies because of its unique nature to
promote cookie spread while at the same time contributing to leavening:
Schematically
NH4HCO3 +HEAT = NH3( causes the cookie to spread) + CO2 and H2O( both
of which contribute to the leavening effect.
It is not widely used in bakery products due to the water solubility
of ammonia and if the baked product is of high moisture content there
is plenty of residual ammonia left in the baked food making it
unpalatable.

In comparison
sodium bicarbonate does release minimal amount of CO2 by itself as a
leavening agent
unless there is an acid component present such as for example butter
milk, or fruit juice.
Baking soda is best used with acid salt( such as cream of tartar,
calcium acid phosphate, sodium pyrophosphate, sodium aluminum sulfate).

Ammonium bicarbonate is not that stable for use in baking powder
composition aside from being very hygroscopic,
Tartaric acid is too fast to be used in baking powder, cream of tartar
is a bit slower andmore practical for home made baking powder.
Cream of tartar is indeed used to stabilize egg white foams due to its
acidulant effect.

Egg freshness [email protected] General Cooking 25 30-10-2014 04:37 AM
Questions about freshness that will keep you up at night Christopher M.[_5_] General Cooking 1 18-08-2014 01:01 AM
Food freshness Don General Cooking 1 10-10-2006 10:48 AM
Red tuna and freshness Peter Aitken General Cooking 0 06-12-2005 11:01 PM
freshness matters [email protected] Beer 10 28-06-2005 08:18 AM