Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.religion.kibology,alt.food.barbecue

Default Mickey and friends

> wrote

> > > KevinS gonna slap your wrist, young lady!

> > And rightly so. The correct expression is "bugs the question"
> > (preferably one question at a time) from "buggers the question", and
> > not --- as is often supposed --- from "beggars the question".

> Interesting. I have always heard "begs the question", never "bugs
> the question".
>
> Much as the Brits must be proud of one of the three pillars of the
> British Navy, I do not find "buggers the question" to be an attractive
> version.

The just debug it, sheesh.

More seriously, "bugger" doesn't have the same connotation
over here. I guess we don't have the same fascination....

--oTTo--

Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.religion.kibology,alt.food.barbecue,sci.physics.relativity,sci.psychology.theory

On 2006-09-28, David DeLaney > wrote:

> Probably because of an inadvertent vowel shift. Those can be socially
> embarrassing.

Not as bad as the Great Vowel Shift.

> Dave "and this of course opens the door for [HAMMOND] to enter the thread"
> DeLaney

Why?

--
Vielen Dank
Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.religion.kibology,alt.food.barbecue

On 2006-09-28, Bryce Utting > wrote:

>>> Much as the Brits must be proud of one of the three pillars of the
>>> British Navy,

>> That would be "sods the question".

> are you Merkins EVER going to learn the language?
>
> "Navy" => sea => high-seas buggery => "bugs the question"
> "Navvy" => land => digging through ground => "sods the question"

The traditions of the Royal Navy are rum, buggery and the lash? That
album title just doesn't sound right.

> our Austrian neighbours are inexplicably fond of mishearding the
> former as "bigs the question", though on reflection that's possibly
> because as a meaningless statement it wouldn't seem at all unusual to
> them in spoken language.

Are you sure you're not thinking of "bigs up the question", which I
think (perhaps Kevins can help with this) is related to "pimps the
question"?

--
And on special dank midnights in August he peeks
out of the shutters and sometimes he speaks
Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.religion.kibology,alt.food.barbecue

Otto Bahn wrote:

> More seriously, "bugger" doesn't have the same connotation
> over here. I guess we don't have the same fascination....

Oh? Rum, buggery and brutality. All three. Which word do you
not understand?

GFH

Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.religion.kibology,alt.food.barbecue

> wrote

> > More seriously, "bugger" doesn't have the same connotation
> > over here. I guess we don't have the same fascination....

> Oh? Rum, buggery and brutality. All three. Which word do you
> not understand?

None. In America, "bugger" is a peice or clump of snot.

--oTTo--

Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.religion.kibology,alt.food.barbecue

Otto Bahn wrote:
> > wrote
>
>>> More seriously, "bugger" doesn't have the same connotation
>>> over here. I guess we don't have the same fascination....

>> Oh? Rum, buggery and brutality. All three. Which word do you
>> not understand?

> None. In America, "bugger" is a peice or clump of snot.

I thought the classic formulation was "Rum, sodomy and the lash".

Alan Jones

Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.religion.kibology,alt.food.barbecue

Otto Bahn wrote:

> > wrote
>
> > > More seriously, "bugger" doesn't have the same connotation
> > > over here. I guess we don't have the same fascination....

> > Oh? Rum, buggery and brutality. All three. Which word do you
> > not understand?

> None. In America, "bugger" is a peice or clump of snot.

Usually pronounced and spelled "booger," with the "oo" of "book."

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...nary&va=booger

http://www.bartleby.com/61/95/B0389500.html

--
Bob Lieblich
Bigger bagger beggar
Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.religion.kibology,alt.food.barbecue

Alan Jones wrote:
> Otto Bahn wrote:
> > > wrote

> >> Oh? Rum, buggery and brutality. All three. Which word do you
> >> not understand?

> > None. In America, "bugger" is a peice or clump of snot.

> I thought the classic formulation was "Rum, sodomy and the lash".

Certainly a good translation into American English.

GFH

Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.religion.kibology,alt.food.barbecue

On 2006-09-29, Otto Bahn > wrote:

> None. In America, "bugger" is a peice or clump of snot.

In the 1970s they used to fire people for saying it on the radio.

--
It was down by the dank tarn of Auber,
In the ghoul-haunted woodland of Weir.
Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.religion.kibology,alt.food.barbecue

"Robert Lieblich" > wrote in message ...
> Otto Bahn wrote:
> >
> > > wrote

> > > Oh? Rum, buggery and brutality. All three. Which word do you
> > > not understand?

> > None. In America, "bugger" is a peice or clump of snot.

> Usually pronounced and spelled "booger," with the "oo" of "book."
>
> http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...nary&va=booger

"Bugger" must be a NYC/Northeast thing.

--oTTo--

Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.religion.kibology,alt.food.barbecue

On 2006-10-02, Duwop > wrote:

> Adam, keep on spamming ABC, I WILL spam ARK. **** off.

I think you have your networks mixed up. This is NBC.

> I've named you. YOU will be one your friends will shit on.

Perhaps you should go back to posting school.

Mickey and friends Adam Funk Barbecue 1 06-10-2006 07:42 PM
Mickey and friends Mark Edwards Barbecue 1 05-10-2006 08:45 PM
Mickey and friends Adam Funk General Cooking 0 05-10-2006 03:32 PM
Mickey and friends Adam Funk Barbecue 0 05-10-2006 03:32 PM
Mickey and friends Adam Funk Barbecue 0 03-10-2006 10:05 AM