Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Sourdough starter question

I'm new to this. I'm using Nancy Silverton's grape starter recipe.
It's day three. I've read everywhere that the starter may separate
into flour on the bottom and liquid on the top. Mine is just the
opposite. The flour, bubbling nicely, is floating to the top and there
is a couple inches of liquid then a little more flour on the bottom.
Did I do something wrong? Any ideas/help appreciated.

raymond

Posted to rec.food.baking

raymond wrote:
> I'm new to this. I'm using Nancy Silverton's grape starter recipe.
> It's day three. I've read everywhere that the starter may separate
> into flour on the bottom and liquid on the top. Mine is just the
> opposite. The flour, bubbling nicely, is floating to the top and there
> is a couple inches of liquid then a little more flour on the bottom.
> Did I do something wrong? Any ideas/help appreciated.
>
> raymond

Give it a little time. I made this a couple of years ago, and it's
amazing. The best bread I've ever made, even tho it takes a little
longer. You are going to be soooo happy!

Posted to rec.food.baking

raymond wrote:
> I'm new to this. I'm using Nancy Silverton's grape starter recipe.
> It's day three. I've read everywhere that the starter may separate
> into flour on the bottom and liquid on the top. Mine is just the
> opposite. The flour, bubbling nicely, is floating to the top and there
> is a couple inches of liquid then a little more flour on the bottom.
> Did I do something wrong? Any ideas/help appreciated.
>
> raymond

Give it a little time. I made this a couple of years ago, and it's
amazing. The best bread I've ever made, even tho it takes a little
longer. You are going to be soooo happy!

Posted to rec.food.baking

raymond wrote:
> I'm new to this. I'm using Nancy Silverton's grape starter recipe.
> It's day three. I've read everywhere that the starter may separate
> into flour on the bottom and liquid on the top. Mine is just the
> opposite. The flour, bubbling nicely, is floating to the top and there
> is a couple inches of liquid then a little more flour on the bottom.
> Did I do something wrong? Any ideas/help appreciated.
>
> raymond

Hi- just wondering how your starter was- I took mine out of
hibernation, fed it for 3 days, and it's still really active

Posted to rec.food.baking