Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Added melted chocolate to a cake recipe

I'm trying to create a chocolate cake recipe that will rise nicely and
have a fine moist crumb. It is to be used as a layer cake so it needs
to be sturdy as well. I've experimented with lots of recipes to find
the right flavors and now I'm trying to build up the "sturdiness
factor". I'm using traditional cake methods... beating butter and
sugar, adding eggs, etc.. The problem is that I've found I like the
taste of melted chocolate over powder. The recipe, as expected, turns
out flat because of the warmed melted chocolate melting the fat and
removing the air bubbles. I'm trying to drizzle the melted chocolate
into the flour/butter/eggs mixture, but it's still coming out
relatively flat. It tastes great and is moist but I'm looking for a
better rise. Can anyone provide any instructions?
Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.baking

wrote:
> I'm trying to create a chocolate cake recipe that will rise nicely and
> have a fine moist crumb. It is to be used as a layer cake so it needs
> to be sturdy as well. I've experimented with lots of recipes to find
> the right flavors and now I'm trying to build up the "sturdiness
> factor". I'm using traditional cake methods... beating butter and
> sugar, adding eggs, etc.. The problem is that I've found I like the
> taste of melted chocolate over powder. The recipe, as expected, turns
> out flat because of the warmed melted chocolate melting the fat and
> removing the air bubbles. I'm trying to drizzle the melted chocolate
> into the flour/butter/eggs mixture, but it's still coming out
> relatively flat. It tastes great and is moist but I'm looking for a
> better rise. Can anyone provide any instructions?
> Thanks!

Can't answer your question directly but what recipes have you been
using? You'll have to figure out how much fat, solids, and moisture is
in the chocolate you're using and adjust the recipe accordingly. I
believe that one square of chocolate is equal to 3 tablespoons of cocoa
powder plus 1 tablespoon shortening. For a chocolate cake I always hot
water in the recipe instead of milk. It brings out the flavor of the
chocolate more than milk does. I just dissolve the cocoa powder in the
hot water, let it cool, and then add it to the batter. A little bit of
coffee also brings out the chocolate flavor.

I poured the last of the 65% melted chocolate onto waxed paper... John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 2 18-12-2011 05:35 PM
REC: *Another* chocolate mud cake recipe SkySkum General Cooking 0 31-10-2007 03:13 AM
Chocolate cake recipe Shawn Chocolate 5 29-10-2007 12:36 AM
added chocolate to ..... Skyhooks General Cooking 0 26-09-2006 05:34 PM
Chocolate cake recipe name AT Baking 10 21-05-2004 08:09 PM