Posted to rec.food.baking

Default looking for old dessert recipe

I am looking for an old dessert recipe, which was made in a 13" X 9" baking
dish.
It had a graham cracker crust; cream cheese and confectioners sugar layer;
chocolate pudding layer and a cool whip layer on top.
I don't remember the amount of the ingredients nor if the chocolate layer
was instant or cooked pudding
If anyone has the recipe, let me know.
pfoley

Posted to rec.food.baking

"pfoley" > wrote in
ink.net:

> I don't remember the amount of the ingredients nor if the chocolate
> layer was instant or cooked pudding
> If anyone has the recipe, let me know.

I don't have the recipe, but I've had it, and can also probably pretty
much figure it out from the description...

You'll need a box of Grahm Crackers, some butter and sugar for the crust.
Look at a recipe for a cheese cake and double the crust amts.

For the Powdered sugar/Cream Cheese layer, I'm thinking it's gonna be an
8 oz block of cream cheese, 1 lb of XXX sugar and probably say 8 oz of
heavy cream, cream the sugar and cream cheese together and slowly add in
the cream to get what looks like the right consistancy, since I don't
know how much it'll hold, and you want it to firm up... I don't think
just cream cheese & XXX SUgar will do the job, beause it'll be too thick,
the cream is to loosen it up some. Spread that mix over the graham
cracker crust and chill to firm up.

Mix 2 boxes of Instant Chocolate Pudding per the pie filling directions
(usually less milk for a thicker consistancy) and pour over the mixture.
Chill to firm again, and then spread on 1 tub of cool whip, or beat your
own real whipped cream and spread it over the top of the pudding.

It may not be perfect, but it should still be good eats From there,
play with qtys to get what you want.
Posted to rec.food.baking

That sounds about right; didn't realize that it would use a whole box of
confectioners sugar and the cream.
Thanks.

"Mike H" > wrote in message
9.130...
> "pfoley" > wrote in
> ink.net:
>

> > I don't remember the amount of the ingredients nor if the chocolate
> > layer was instant or cooked pudding
> > If anyone has the recipe, let me know.

> I don't have the recipe, but I've had it, and can also probably pretty
> much figure it out from the description...
>

> You'll need a box of Grahm Crackers, some butter and sugar for the crust.
> Look at a recipe for a cheese cake and double the crust amts.
>
> For the Powdered sugar/Cream Cheese layer, I'm thinking it's gonna be an
> 8 oz block of cream cheese, 1 lb of XXX sugar and probably say 8 oz of
> heavy cream, cream the sugar and cream cheese together and slowly add in
> the cream to get what looks like the right consistancy, since I don't
> know how much it'll hold, and you want it to firm up... I don't think
> just cream cheese & XXX SUgar will do the job, beause it'll be too thick,
> the cream is to loosen it up some. Spread that mix over the graham
> cracker crust and chill to firm up.
>
> Mix 2 boxes of Instant Chocolate Pudding per the pie filling directions
> (usually less milk for a thicker consistancy) and pour over the mixture.
> Chill to firm again, and then spread on 1 tub of cool whip, or beat your
> own real whipped cream and spread it over the top of the pudding.
>
> It may not be perfect, but it should still be good eats From there,
> play with qtys to get what you want.

Posted to rec.food.baking

"pfoley" > wrote in
k.net:

> That sounds about right; didn't realize that it would use a whole box
> of confectioners sugar and the cream.

Well, I found the REAL recipe, and I wasn't TOO far off, but it only
calls for 1 c of powdered sugar and using some of the whipped cream...

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 package graham cracker crust mix
* 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
* 1 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1 cup non-dairy whipped topping
* 1 package vanilla instant pudding
* 1 package chocolate instant pudding
* 3 cups milk

PREPARATION:
Make crust according to package directions and press into the bottom of a
9 x 13 x 2-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees just a few minutes. Mix cream
cheese, sugar and whipped topping and pour over crust.

Mix puddings and milk and pour over cheese layer. Dot with additional
whipped topping. Chill.

I wasn't too far off ANd I bet mine would be good too, just richer
and chocolatier..
Posted to rec.food.baking

Those measurements sound better to me. I didn't know that it required two
different kinds of puddings; never heard of mixing the vanilla with the
chocolate pudding; do you know why that is, instead of using two chocolate
puddings? Have you made it with the vanilla and the chocolate mixed? I
never made it myself; only had it at a cookout and loved it, but it looked
like all chocolate to me.

"Mike H" > wrote in message
9.130...
> "pfoley" > wrote in
> k.net:
>
> > That sounds about right; didn't realize that it would use a whole box
> > of confectioners sugar and the cream.

> Well, I found the REAL recipe, and I wasn't TOO far off, but it only
> calls for 1 c of powdered sugar and using some of the whipped cream...
>
> INGREDIENTS:
>
> * 1 package graham cracker crust mix
> * 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
> * 1 cup confectioners' sugar
> * 1 cup non-dairy whipped topping
> * 1 package vanilla instant pudding
> * 1 package chocolate instant pudding
> * 3 cups milk
>
> PREPARATION:
> Make crust according to package directions and press into the bottom of a
> 9 x 13 x 2-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees just a few minutes. Mix cream
> cheese, sugar and whipped topping and pour over crust.
>
> Mix puddings and milk and pour over cheese layer. Dot with additional
> whipped topping. Chill.
>

> I wasn't too far off ANd I bet mine would be good too, just richer
> and chocolatier..

Posted to rec.food.baking

"pfoley" > wrote in
nk.net:

> I didn't know that it required two different kinds of puddings; never
> heard of mixing the vanilla with the chocolate pudding; do you know why
> that is, instead of using two chocolate puddings?

It's not unheard of. Wendy's Frosty is a mix of Chocolate & Vanilla. The
reason for it is to lighten up the chocolate flavor. You could use all
chocolate, or any two other flavors that complement each other even.

A recipe is just guidelines, you can sub how you wish. Me personally, I'm
thinking about trying it with adding chocolate to the cream cheese base,
using pistachio instead of chocolate pudding and flavoring the whipped
topping with cherry flavor

> but it looked like all chocolate to me.

Of course it would, think about the colors. Vanilla Pudding is white,
Chocolate pudding is Brown, mix the two together and you'll still have a
chocolate color

Posted to rec.food.baking

Wow, you have a good imagination. Sounds good.
Thanks for your tips and recipe.
Pfoley

"Mike H" > wrote in message
9.130...
> "pfoley" > wrote in
> nk.net:
>
> > I didn't know that it required two different kinds of puddings; never
> > heard of mixing the vanilla with the chocolate pudding; do you know why
> > that is, instead of using two chocolate puddings?

> It's not unheard of. Wendy's Frosty is a mix of Chocolate & Vanilla. The
> reason for it is to lighten up the chocolate flavor. You could use all
> chocolate, or any two other flavors that complement each other even.
>
> A recipe is just guidelines, you can sub how you wish. Me personally, I'm
> thinking about trying it with adding chocolate to the cream cheese base,
> using pistachio instead of chocolate pudding and flavoring the whipped
> topping with cherry flavor
>

> > but it looked like all chocolate to me.

> Of course it would, think about the colors. Vanilla Pudding is white,
> Chocolate pudding is Brown, mix the two together and you'll still have a
> chocolate color

Posted to rec.food.baking

"pfoley" > wrote in news:gEFng.1299$NP4.630
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> Wow, you have a good imagination. Sounds good.
> Thanks for your tips and recipe.

I've come up with about a dozen Gooey Butter Cake variations too