Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Pizza crust with bubbles

I have a good pizza crust recipe that makes a nice thin and crispy
crust. Before putting on the sauce and the toppings, I cook the crust
for five minutes on a pizza stone that has been preheated at 450 degrees
so that it will not get soggy. However, as it cooks big bubbles arise
in the crust so that it is very bumpy and hard to get sauce to stay on.
Any suggestions?
Posted to rec.food.baking

Docking the crust before baking would help solve your problem...
Jake wrote:
> I have a good pizza crust recipe that makes a nice thin and crispy
> crust. Before putting on the sauce and the toppings, I cook the crust
> for five minutes on a pizza stone that has been preheated at 450 degrees
> so that it will not get soggy. However, as it cooks big bubbles arise
> in the crust so that it is very bumpy and hard to get sauce to stay on.
> Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.food.baking

What does docking mean ?

chembake wrote:
> Docking the crust before baking would help solve your problem...
> Jake wrote:
>
>>I have a good pizza crust recipe that makes a nice thin and crispy
>>crust. Before putting on the sauce and the toppings, I cook the crust
>>for five minutes on a pizza stone that has been preheated at 450 degrees
>> so that it will not get soggy. However, as it cooks big bubbles arise
>>in the crust so that it is very bumpy and hard to get sauce to stay on.
>> Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.food.baking

Jake wrote:

> What does docking mean ?

Poke holes in it with a fork.

Also, if you're waiting a substantial amount of time between
laying out the dough and putting it in the oven, it might
give the dough time to rise. This might make for bigger bubbles.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.baking

5 minutes is much, much too long to bake without toppings. I bake "pizza
rounds" with leftover pizza dough. You "throw" the round on a 500F stone for
1 min. 45 seconds and remove it. The bubbles in the center will drop when
you touch them. OR, you can scatter onion on the pizza, and it won't have to
be concerned with that. I freeze these, and use them to make an emergency
pizza when necessary.
If you can't make the crust and the toppings cook in the same time you
usually are doing something wrong. Heat your stone as hot as your oven will
go for 45 minutes. Make sure you have the right stone. .5 - .75 " thick.
Make certain your dough recipe makes crispy thin Pizza Margharita crust.
Most use too dry a crust. Pizza dough should be wet, though not as wet as
the one I made tonight!
There are rare exceptions to cooking everything at once. Tonight I made a
smoked salmon pizza. You put the salmon on along with goat cheese when the
pizza comes out of the oven.
Good Luck
Kent

"Jake" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I have a good pizza crust recipe that makes a nice thin and crispy crust.
>Before putting on the sauce and the toppings, I cook the crust for five
>minutes on a pizza stone that has been preheated at 450 degrees so that it
>will not get soggy. However, as it cooks big bubbles arise in the crust so
>that it is very bumpy and hard to get sauce to stay on. Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.food.baking

Jake > wrote in news:Ed%gg.9468$921.2654
@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> I cook the crust for five minutes on a pizza stone that has been
> preheated at 450 degrees so that it will not get soggy

On a stone preheated to 500, I only bake the whole pizza for 7 mins. Never
have had a problem with soggy crust.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Thank you very much, it worked great.

Crust Bubbles HUTCHNDI Sourdough 40 02-05-2005 07:58 PM
Crust Bubbles Reviseted HUTCHNDI Sourdough 18 02-05-2005 07:11 PM
Crust Bubbles Reviseted HUTCHNDI Sourdough 0 01-05-2005 07:54 PM
Crust Bubbles HUTCHNDI Sourdough 0 29-04-2005 02:52 PM
"bubbles" in crust Robert Dodd Sourdough 14 12-07-2004 05:26 AM