Robert Dodd

Default "bubbles" in crust

I am achieving that "bubbly" (small air bubbles in surface) look in my
crust only sporadically. I have heard someone say that this has to do
with the water level on the crust, or perhaps how much steam is
available early in the bake. I have heard other people say that the best
way to get this effect is to retard your dough at some point. Any
definitive advice on this?
Mike Pearce

"Robert Dodd" wrote in message ...

> I am achieving that "bubbly" (small air bubbles in surface) look in my
> crust only sporadically. I have heard someone say that this has to do
> with the water level on the crust, or perhaps how much steam is
> available early in the bake. I have heard other people say that the best
> way to get this effect is to retard your dough at some point. Any
> definitive advice on this?

I don't know about definitive, but I was just messing around with this just
today. I made three loaves and baked them in two batches. I misted them all
with water just before they went into the oven and all had the little
bubbles to which you refer. I didn't do anything else unusual while making
the bread such as retarding the dough, etc.

Next time I'll make bread I think I'll try one loaf with a misting and one
without to see if there's a difference. I like the look of the bubbles.

-Mike

Mike Pearce

"Robert Dodd" wrote in message ...

> I am achieving that "bubbly" (small air bubbles in surface) look in my
> crust only sporadically. I have heard someone say that this has to do
> with the water level on the crust, or perhaps how much steam is
> available early in the bake. I have heard other people say that the best
> way to get this effect is to retard your dough at some point. Any
> definitive advice on this?

I don't know about definitive, but I was just messing around with this just
today. I made three loaves and baked them in two batches. I misted them all
with water just before they went into the oven and all had the little
bubbles to which you refer. I didn't do anything else unusual while making
the bread such as retarding the dough, etc.

Next time I'll make bread I think I'll try one loaf with a misting and one
without to see if there's a difference. I like the look of the bubbles.

-Mike

Ed Bechtel

The bread served at Disneyland's Boudin Bakery has a heavily blistered and dark
crust . The bakery tour shows the process of flopping little boulles of dough
in wire mesh baskets for 11 hours in the low 50's F in a humid room. The 11
hours is purportedly for flavor. They bake them in steam at 440F
The bakery web site doesn't show the process but has pictures of their bread.
It is at

http://www.boudinbakery.com

When I proof my formed loaves in an ice chest with periodic misting (to
duplicate the Boudin process), the blistered crust is very pronounced - it
looks like bubble wrap.

Ed

williamwaller

On 7/10/04 9:01 AM, "Ed Bechtel" > wrote:

> The bread served at Disneyland's Boudin Bakery has a heavily blistered and
> dark
> crust . The bakery tour shows the process of flopping little boulles of dough
> in wire mesh baskets for 11 hours in the low 50's F in a humid room. The 11
> hours is purportedly for flavor. They bake them in steam at 440F
> The bakery web site doesn't show the process but has pictures of their bread.
> It is at
>
> http://www.boudinbakery.com
>
> When I proof my formed loaves in an ice chest with periodic misting (to
> duplicate the Boudin process), the blistered crust is very pronounced - it
> looks like bubble wrap.
>
> Ed

Ed,

Nearly everyone (even DickA) appears to agree that long cool ferment is
required to produce this style of crust. What I've found (though I'm certain
other bakers routinely do this as well) is that baking the loaves in a
covered stoneware or medium height cast iron casserole from a cold start
works better than spritzing. I let the bread steam itself for about 20
minutes while the oven comes up to 500, then uncover and bake for another 10
or 12 minutes. I get a very dark and chewy crust. Depending on the ambient
temp/humidity the crust will crackle on the cooking racks. There's no need
to slash the loaves but they need to be well proofed before baking.

Unfortunately my digital camera has taken a powder or I'd offer some pic's
to "proof" my comments.

Will

http://www.otherwhen.com/mailman/lis...food.sourdough

williamwaller

On 7/10/04 9:01 AM, "Ed Bechtel" > wrote:

> The bread served at Disneyland's Boudin Bakery has a heavily blistered and
> dark
> crust . The bakery tour shows the process of flopping little boulles of dough
> in wire mesh baskets for 11 hours in the low 50's F in a humid room. The 11
> hours is purportedly for flavor. They bake them in steam at 440F
> The bakery web site doesn't show the process but has pictures of their bread.
> It is at
>
> http://www.boudinbakery.com
>
> When I proof my formed loaves in an ice chest with periodic misting (to
> duplicate the Boudin process), the blistered crust is very pronounced - it
> looks like bubble wrap.
>
> Ed

Ed,

Nearly everyone (even DickA) appears to agree that long cool ferment is
required to produce this style of crust. What I've found (though I'm certain
other bakers routinely do this as well) is that baking the loaves in a
covered stoneware or medium height cast iron casserole from a cold start
works better than spritzing. I let the bread steam itself for about 20
minutes while the oven comes up to 500, then uncover and bake for another 10
or 12 minutes. I get a very dark and chewy crust. Depending on the ambient
temp/humidity the crust will crackle on the cooking racks. There's no need
to slash the loaves but they need to be well proofed before baking.

Unfortunately my digital camera has taken a powder or I'd offer some pic's
to "proof" my comments.

Will

http://www.otherwhen.com/mailman/lis...food.sourdough

Charles Perry

Robert Dodd wrote:

> Any definitive advice on this?

I don't know if it is Definitive, but Ticker says that when the
bread is retarted or has a long cool fermentation, it makes the
Bread Faeries shiver from the damp cold. Apparently this creates
air bubbles that migrate to the surface of the dough creating the
blistered effect.

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Charles Perry

Robert Dodd wrote:

> Any definitive advice on this?

I don't know if it is Definitive, but Ticker says that when the
bread is retarted or has a long cool fermentation, it makes the
Bread Faeries shiver from the damp cold. Apparently this creates
air bubbles that migrate to the surface of the dough creating the
blistered effect.

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Phil

> Nearly everyone (even DickA) appears to agree that long cool ferment is
> required to produce this style of crust. What I've found (though I'm certain
> other bakers routinely do this as well) is that baking the loaves in a
> covered stoneware or medium height cast iron casserole from a cold start
> works better than spritzing. I let the bread steam itself for about 20
> minutes while the oven comes up to 500, then uncover and bake for another 10
> or 12 minutes. I get a very dark and chewy crust. Depending on the ambient
> temp/humidity the crust will crackle on the cooking racks. There's no need
> to slash the loaves but they need to be well proofed before baking.
>
> Unfortunately my digital camera has taken a powder or I'd offer some pic's
> to "proof" my comments.
>
> Will

Hey Guys,

I just baked my fourth loaf ever today, and it was the first time I
succesfully "retarded" the loaf in the fridge. I had TONS of the
little fermentation bubbles.

I took some pics of the crust and crumb. Unfortunately, I don't really
know how to post them. I'd love to hear everyone's comments...I'm
quite happy witht he bread.

Can anyone post them on a website for me, if I email them the pics?

Phil Reed

prex at afes dot com

HeatherInSwampscott

Phil wrote:

> I took some pics of the crust and crumb. Unfortunately, I don't really
> know how to post them. I'd love to hear everyone's comments...I'm
> quite happy witht he bread.
>
> Can anyone post them on a website for me, if I email them the pics?
>
> Phil Reed

Phil,

I can host the photos for you and send you the links to post.
Email them to me at sourdough (at) fearn (dot) ws

Best,

Heather
HeatherInSwampscott

HeatherInSwampscott wrote:

> Phil wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone post them on a website for me, if I email them the pics?
>>
>> Phil Reed
>>

> Phil,
>
> I can host the photos for you and send you the links to post.
>

> Heather

I see you found someone to host for you, nice pictures!

Heather
Dave Bell

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, HeatherInSwampscott wrote:

> Phil wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone post them on a website for me, if I email them the pics?
> > Phil Reed

> Phil,
> I can host the photos for you and send you the links to post.
> Email them to me at sourdough (at) fearn (dot) ws
> Heather

A suggestion to all, check out http://www.zippyimages.com as others have
used. They appear to have a free hosting service, where you simply upload
your images, up to 1 MB in size, and they are immediately available via
links they give you. They say that "inactive" photos are taken down after
six months, and that seems very reasonable to me. I put up a couple of
pics yesterday, myself:
http://www.zippyimages.com/files/77644/Spelt1-1.jpg
http://www.zippyimages.com/files/77645/Spelt1-2.jpg

Dave
Jane Lumley

In article <mailman.8.1089471101.232.rec.food.sourdough@mail. otherwhen.c
om>, williamwaller > writes
>Nearly everyone (even DickA) appears to agree that long cool ferment is
>required to produce this style of crust.

Yes, that's my experience with sourdough boules. After mixing, a long
slow rise at low UK room temperate - 65-8 degree rather than 75-8 - then
12+ hours in a fridge on its lowest setting. Then take it out, reshape,
let it come back to room temperature while the oven heats to 500, slash,
dust with flour, then bake for 10 minutes at 500, spritzing twice.
Reduce to 450 at second spritz and bake for 20ish minutes more (YMMV -
my oven is a fast fan oven). Gives a great small bubble crust, dark
caramel but not walnut brown.

--
Jane Lumley
Jane Lumley

Pizza crust with bubbles Jake Baking 6 07-06-2006 08:42 PM
Crust Bubbles HUTCHNDI Sourdough 40 02-05-2005 07:58 PM
Crust Bubbles Reviseted HUTCHNDI Sourdough 18 02-05-2005 07:11 PM
Crust Bubbles Reviseted HUTCHNDI Sourdough 0 01-05-2005 07:54 PM
Crust Bubbles HUTCHNDI Sourdough 0 29-04-2005 02:52 PM