Posted to rec.food.baking
Bob (this one)

Default Gingerbread construction

What has been your experience with building gingerbread houses or
anything else? Do you have different formulations for different
applications? Have you ever combined gingerbread with other bakings for
constructions - cookies or other sheets of baked materials? What are
your criteria for thickness of the gingerbread - thin for short, thick
for tall?

Have you used any variants of royal icing or something else to hold them
together, assuming that the entire thing needs to be edible?

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.baking
-L.

Bob (this one) wrote:
> What has been your experience with building gingerbread houses or
> anything else? Do you have different formulations for different
> applications? Have you ever combined gingerbread with other bakings for
> constructions - cookies or other sheets of baked materials? What are
> your criteria for thickness of the gingerbread - thin for short, thick
> for tall?
>
> Have you used any variants of royal icing or something else to hold them
> together, assuming that the entire thing needs to be edible?
>
> Pastorio

I have only made them from scratch a few times. I think my thickness
was around 1/5 of an inch, and I used royal icing to stick them
together. I make additional bars to support the walls on the bottom
insideedges. The house was about 10 inches tall, I think (drew the
template on paper and cut the wall and roof shapes by hand.) I cure
the assembeled house overnight and then decorate it. I am of the
school that thinks it should be all edible, and I use a variety of
candies and decorations to do so. I make Gingerbread trees as well,
using layers of cookies cut out with a cookie cutter.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Bob (this one)

-L. wrote:
> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>>What has been your experience with building gingerbread houses or
>>anything else? Do you have different formulations for different
>>applications? Have you ever combined gingerbread with other bakings for
>>constructions - cookies or other sheets of baked materials? What are
>>your criteria for thickness of the gingerbread - thin for short, thick
>>for tall?
>>
>>Have you used any variants of royal icing or something else to hold them
>>together, assuming that the entire thing needs to be edible?
>>
>>Pastorio

> I have only made them from scratch a few times. I think my thickness
> was around 1/5 of an inch, and I used royal icing to stick them
> together. I make additional bars to support the walls on the bottom
> insideedges. The house was about 10 inches tall, I think (drew the
> template on paper and cut the wall and roof shapes by hand.) I cure
> the assembeled house overnight and then decorate it. I am of the
> school that thinks it should be all edible, and I use a variety of
> candies and decorations to do so.

Yep. Same as our approach. And then we actually eat it. With a little
help from our friends.

> I make Gingerbread trees as well,
> using layers of cookies cut out with a cookie cutter.

I conspired with my daughter to make an Eiffel Tower out of gingerbread
so she could suck up to her French teacher. 18 inches tall and very
cool-looking. Had to invent the technology and it'll be in the book <LOL>...

How do you do the trees? Stacked cookies? How many? How thick? Shaped
like what?

Pastorio