Posted to rec.food.baking
Eric Jorgensen

Default Online source for chinese crystallized ginger?

I'm wondering where i can buy, at a reasonable price, a couple pounds of
small chunks (for baking, not snacking) of Chinese crystallized ginger.

I know exactly where to get Australian ginger - I highly recommend the
"Ginger People" brand for all your ozzie ginger needs. Their ginger ale is
unlike any beverage you have imbibed.

But the Chinese ginger is hotter. Has some bite to it.

I bake with crystallized ginger. But there are few prep jobs as
miserable as chopping large chunks of it into smaller chunks of it. It
sticks to the knife, but since it's still coated with sugar, it freely
skitters around and off of the cutting board. It's slow going, and
miserable work.

I need something pre-chopped if i'm going to buy a few pounds of it.
Unless somebody has a mechanical solution to this problem. I imagine it
might work to toss the chunked ginger into the food processor with a cup of
sugar to keep things moving - otherwise it would just stick to the blades.
I haven't tried this.

For the record, here's one of the things i occasionally make with it.

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup chopped crystallized ginger

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening, butter, brown sugar and
white sugar. Beat in the eggs, peanut butter and vanilla. Combine the
flour, baking soda, salt and ground ginger, stir into the creamed mixture.
Finally, stir in the rolled oats and candied ginger. Drop by rounded
teaspoonfuls onto an unprepared cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in
the preheated oven, until golden brown. Remove from the baking sheet to
cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container when cool.

Side note: Peanut butter should be as cheap as humanly possible. Peanut oil
does not belong in cookies - makes them hard & greasy. You want the store
brand stabilized stuff that's chock fulla shortening and emulsifiers. The
stuff you would never, ever put on your own sandwiches. If you use the good
stuff, you've wasted your expensive peanut butter and made sub-par cookies.

I have considered adding a pinch of white pepper to this recipe. Just to
keep people on their toes.

"1 cup" of finely chopped crystallized ginger turns out to be in the
neighborhood of 7.5 ounces.
Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message

> I'm wondering where i can buy, at a reasonable price, a couple pounds

of
> small chunks (for baking, not snacking) of Chinese crystallized ginger.

A froogle search shows what you need. I don't know what you consider
reasonable or how fast this would go bad. The best deal is 11 pounds for
about $50 and it is cut into small pieces:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...&lmode=unknown

Posted to rec.food.baking
Eric Jorgensen

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 22:45:44 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> >
> > I'm wondering where i can buy, at a reasonable price, a couple
> > pounds

> of
> > small chunks (for baking, not snacking) of Chinese crystallized ginger.

> A froogle search shows what you need. I don't know what you consider
> reasonable or how fast this would go bad. The best deal is 11 pounds for
> about $50 and it is cut into small pieces:
>
> http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...&lmode=unknown

That's actually a pretty good brand, too. I was just hoping someone
would be able to recommend a product they'd already tried.
Posted to rec.food.baking
QX

Chinese Ginger:
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...eysginger.html

Posted to rec.food.baking
Charlie Sorsby

In article >,
QX > wrote:
= Chinese Ginger:
= http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...eysginger.html

But the "Crystallized Ginger" link takes one to a page that says
it's Australian...

--
Charlie Sorsby

Edgewood, NM 87015