shipwreck

Default Cheesecake rises faster on sides, then falls...

I make a sour cream cheesecake. Standard ingredients, I'm sure. I
use a water bath.

The side of the cheesecake appear to cook faster, which seems normal,
and then fall when it cools. The cake levels off to a flat level,
which is good and the taste is fine.

However, some of the sides become squished, or go below the center.
It's hard to explain.

Anyway, why do you think this is happening? I bake at 325 for 55
minutes or until the center just slightly jiggles.

Gary
Lord Jubjub

In article >,
shipwreck > wrote:

> I make a sour cream cheesecake. Standard ingredients, I'm sure. I
> use a water bath.
>
> The side of the cheesecake appear to cook faster, which seems normal,
> and then fall when it cools. The cake levels off to a flat level,
> which is good and the taste is fine.
>
> However, some of the sides become squished, or go below the center.
> It's hard to explain.
>
> Anyway, why do you think this is happening? I bake at 325 for 55
> minutes or until the center just slightly jiggles.

I had the same problem and found that baking at 275-300 pretty much
solved the problem with the sides, but you will have to add at least
15-20 minutes to your baking time. The jiggle test still works at the
lower temperature.
--
Lord Jubjub, ruler of the slithy toves.
If you want to contact me, remember I am a LORD.