Posted to rec.food.baking
Rich Hollenbeck

Default English Muffins Revisited

Back in May, George Beasley (graphiccomposing AT earthlink.net) offered a
very good recipe for making English muffins. My only problem with it was
its small yield and the fact that the quantities were by volume (cups,
teaspoons, and tablespoons.) I would like to propose the following formula
as a first attempt to standardize it so I will be able to easily change the
yield. The ratios may need some adjustment:

Bread flour 450 g 100.00%
Sugar 8 g 1.78%
Salt 6 g 1.33%
Baking soda 1 g 0.22%
Milk powder 10 g 2.22%
Instant yeast 6 g 1.33%
Water 325 g 72.22%
Cornmeal (as needed)
Totals: 806 g 179.11%

I really hope the columns line up okay in this newsgroup format. There
should be three colums.

I like grams better than ounces because they are a smaller unit and are
easier for me to use. These small amounts may not be very accurate because
my scale gets confused with amounts under two grams. I'll need to
experiment with larger quantities and re-weigh it.

I moved the water to the end of the formula because I like to mix all the
dry ingredients first and I find it annoying to see the water near the top
of the list. I also added more water than Mr. Beasley had in his recipe
because it was more dough-like and I think it needs to be a little bit more
batter-like.

Exactly like in George Beasley's post, I do the following:
"Mix all ingredients knead well, let rise once. Divide in 8 rolls and
flatten them. Put a small amount of corn meal on each side, as much as will
stick when you press them in the corn meal In heavy frying pan without
grease cook muffins approx. 7 minutes on each side, covered on low heat,
until browned."

Any comments on this new first draft of a formula for English Muffins?
Corrections? Should I use AP flour instead of bread flour? Many Thanks!

Rich

English Muffins Gary General Cooking 4 15-06-2014 08:15 AM
English Muffins Gus[_3_] General Cooking 63 08-01-2014 11:13 PM
English Muffins Frank103 Baking 8 14-11-2006 03:41 AM
English Muffins Janet Bostwick Baking 0 23-05-2005 11:18 PM
SD English Muffins Richard Sourdough 16 28-03-2005 01:59 AM