Posted to rec.food.baking
Geoman^^

Default Egg Egss and other egg questions

I've been reading posts for some time and it seems that Fresh eggs are
normally not the preferred choice for good baking.

1. When and with what would you use fresh eggs for?

2. What defines fresh? Picked and then refrigerated?

3. When is an egg not fresh?

Fresh eggs don't beat well
Fresh eggs don't peel well.

Now, onto the cold vs. warm issue.

Warm egg whites whip the best
Warm eggs don't separate well.

What about using eggs for thickening or holding burgers together, do you use
the whole egg, warm egg, or what does the experts suggest.

It seems that if one understands and masters the egg they can just about do
anything in the kitchen. All suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.food.baking

I use "fresh" eggs for all cooking and baking.
All my recipes use the eggs cold.

I try to use all eggs within about a week from supermarket purchase.

When an egg floats it's time to bury it.

After a while in the refrigerator the egg degrades to a point at which
it may still be edible but almost impossible to use for fried eggs
without the yolk breaking.

I have only used eggs as a binder when used with other ingredients,
like making a meatloaf. Whole egg, cold from refrigerator , beaten with
a tiny bit of milk.

Posted to rec.food.baking

I will slightly revise this.

In some countries it is more common for eggs to be stored at room
temperature. In my experiance this leads to a higher spoilage rate
than refrigerated with a shorter shelf life. Health department
regulations in the USA pretty much require refrigerated storage.

Egg whites beat up better at room temperature. In my experiance if you
use a kitchenaid mixer with whisk by the time you get the eggs out,
seperate them and put into bowl they are nearly room temp.

Questions for all Craig Watts[_2_] Barbecue 2 16-01-2011 12:43 AM
Questions for all Pico Rico Barbecue 7 16-01-2011 12:30 AM
After the Deletion of Google Answers U Got Questions Fills the Gap Answering and Asking the Tough Questions Linux Flash Drives General Cooking 0 07-05-2007 06:38 PM
So hey, I have a few questions Peri Meno General Cooking 17 07-10-2006 08:30 PM
2 questions Steph G.B General Cooking 8 20-01-2004 03:48 AM