Posted to rec.food.baking
Jodie

Default Storing fruit cakes

Hi..Just finished a couple of Christmas cakes...going to wrap them in
Cling-film and store until end of December.
Have put a few tablespoons of brandy on them.
Question is...if I wrap them now whilst the cakes are still dampish due to
the brandy will that be ok..or will they go mouldy?
Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Jodie" > wrote in message
> Hi..Just finished a couple of Christmas cakes...going to wrap them in
> Cling-film and store until end of December.
> Have put a few tablespoons of brandy on them.
> Question is...if I wrap them now whilst the cakes are still dampish due to
> the brandy will that be ok..or will they go mouldy?
> Thanks.

The high sugar content and the alcohol will prevent them from molding. You
might consider soaking some cheesecloth in brandy and wraping the cakes in
that. The brandy is used both for flavor and to add moisture. You can
store them in an airtight container in a cool, dark location.

My mother made her fruitcakes around Halloween and stored them in cake tins
until Christmas. She wasn't a drinker, so instead of the brandy, she would
put wedges of apple in the tins with the cakes. The apple wedges would be
changed periodically. The cakes never molded.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Jodie

Ok...thanks for the speedy reply...let wrapping commence :-)

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Jodie" > wrote in message
>> Hi..Just finished a couple of Christmas cakes...going to wrap them in
>> Cling-film and store until end of December.
>> Have put a few tablespoons of brandy on them.
>> Question is...if I wrap them now whilst the cakes are still dampish due
>> the brandy will that be ok..or will they go mouldy?
>> Thanks.

> The high sugar content and the alcohol will prevent them from molding.
> You
> might consider soaking some cheesecloth in brandy and wraping the cakes in
> that. The brandy is used both for flavor and to add moisture. You can
> store them in an airtight container in a cool, dark location.
>
> My mother made her fruitcakes around Halloween and stored them in cake
> tins
> until Christmas. She wasn't a drinker, so instead of the brandy, she
> would
> put wedges of apple in the tins with the cakes. The apple wedges would be
> changed periodically. The cakes never molded.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Jodie" > wrote in message
> Ok...thanks for the speedy reply...let wrapping commence :-)

Check them now and then. You might need to add more brandy.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Chuck

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:03:23 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>"Jodie" > wrote in message
>> Ok...thanks for the speedy reply...let wrapping commence :-)

>Check them now and then. You might need to add more brandy.

She can send one to me,, and I'll check it periodically and report
back!
(Send bottle of brandy too in case I need to add some!)
Chuck (in SC)

Posted to rec.food.baking
Wendy

Jodie - I have been making xmas cakes to sell for several years. I wrap
mine in cheesecloth(after they have cooled completely. Before the
cheesecloth, I poke holes in the cake and pour in brandy) that has been
soaked in brandy, then wrap them in foil. Store in a very cool place that
is not a fridge or freezer. Check now and again to be sure they are still
moist. You don't want them wet - this will produce mould. You don't want
htem dry cause they will taste icky. It is not a speedy response - I've not
been at the comptuer for two days but I think you might do well to rewrap
your cakes. I don't think clingfilm is a good idea. Wendy
> Hi..Just finished a couple of Christmas cakes...going to wrap them in
> Cling-film and store until end of December.
> Have put a few tablespoons of brandy on them.
> Question is...if I wrap them now whilst the cakes are still dampish due to
> the brandy will that be ok..or will they go mouldy?
> Thanks.

then reply to the confirmation request.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Loocie

I would not wrap the cake in plastic wrap!!! the cake needs to breathe.
I poke holes in the top,pour a cup or so of brandy the first month,
then rotate it, poke holes and pour 1/2 cup or so of fresh orange
juice, and repeat every month until I am ready to cover with marzipan
and icing. I wrap it in parchment paper tied with string and then in
foil, then place in a large tin.