Chuck

Default What do you call that measuring thingy..

What's that measuring device made for "hard to measure" things like
honey, shortening etc.. It's a tube with plunger to push measured
item out of the end? Can't find it locally, even in the specialty
shops.
Scott

In article >,
Chuck > wrote:

> What's that measuring device made for "hard to measure" things like
> honey, shortening etc.. It's a tube with plunger to push measured
> item out of the end? Can't find it locally, even in the specialty
> shops.

Wonder cup is one brand:
<http://tinyurl.com/d5nwd>

Adjust-a-cup is another:
<http://tinyurl.com/cpvnr>

I don't know what's "local" for you.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Vox Humana

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> What's that measuring device made for "hard to measure" things like
> honey, shortening etc.. It's a tube with plunger to push measured
> item out of the end? Can't find it locally, even in the specialty
> shops.

Consider getting an electronic scale. It makes measuring everything easy
without using cups, spoons, and other devices.

Chuck

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 03:50:03 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>"Chuck" > wrote in message
.. .
>> What's that measuring device made for "hard to measure" things like
>> honey, shortening etc.. It's a tube with plunger to push measured
>> item out of the end? Can't find it locally, even in the specialty
>> shops.

>Consider getting an electronic scale. It makes measuring everything easy
>without using cups, spoons, and other devices.

electronic scales are on my wish list..
Chuck
Chuck

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 23:19:45 -0400, Scott >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Chuck > wrote:
>
>> What's that measuring device made for "hard to measure" things like
>> honey, shortening etc.. It's a tube with plunger to push measured
>> item out of the end? Can't find it locally, even in the specialty
>> shops.

>Wonder cup is one brand:
><http://tinyurl.com/d5nwd>
>
>Adjust-a-cup is another:
><http://tinyurl.com/cpvnr>
>
>I don't know what's "local" for you.

Thanks.. this is what I'm looking for..

QX

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 02:37:41 GMT, Chuck > wrote:

>What's that measuring device made for "hard to measure" things like
>honey, shortening etc.. It's a tube with plunger to push measured
>item out of the end? Can't find it locally, even in the specialty
>shops.

If you don't mind the logo, here is an all plastic set of 2 (1c & 2c)
http://catalog.fullpond.com/altonbro...ID=ABRN+AB1001

This site has a metal/plastic 2c model:
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=184848
Scott

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> Consider getting an electronic scale. It makes measuring everything easy
> without using cups, spoons, and other devices.

I just wish more recipes gave weights.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Vox Humana

"Scott" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>

> > Consider getting an electronic scale. It makes measuring everything

easy
> > without using cups, spoons, and other devices.

> I just wish more recipes gave weights.

You have to do a little conversion, but it isn't hard. If you look at the
nutrition labels on ingredients they have the serving size stated in both
volume and weight. For instance it will say "serving size = 1/4 cup (30g).
You can do the math from there. When it comes down to it, most recipes in
baking are butter, sugar, flour, eggs. There are a handful of very common
ingredients that you can memorize or make a chart for the inside of a
cabinet door. The other good source for determining the weight of less
common ingredients (pineapple, bananas, etc.) can be found on the USDA
nutrition database. http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ For very
small amounts like salt, leavening agents, extracts, and spices, I just use
the teaspoon measurement given the in the original recipe.

I pencil in the weights in my cookbooks once I have done the conversion.

RsH

http://stores.ebay.com/Softfield-Tec...eNameZl2QQtZkm

and you should be able to get one for a relatively cheap price, even
with postage to you...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Postage-...cmdZViewI tem
for one accurate to a gram and total cost under US$25 including
shipping to you anywhere in the U.S. if you are the only bidder :-)

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 05:47:13 GMT, Chuck > wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 03:50:03 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Chuck" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> What's that measuring device made for "hard to measure" things like
>>> honey, shortening etc.. It's a tube with plunger to push measured
>>> item out of the end? Can't find it locally, even in the specialty
>>> shops.

>>Consider getting an electronic scale. It makes measuring everything easy
>>without using cups, spoons, and other devices.
>>

>electronic scales are on my wish list..
>Chuck

Copyright retained. My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!
RsH

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:02:27 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>You have to do a little conversion, but it isn't hard. If you look at the
>nutrition labels on ingredients they have the serving size stated in both
>volume and weight. For instance it will say "serving size = 1/4 cup (30g).
>You can do the math from there. When it comes down to it, most recipes in
>baking are butter, sugar, flour, eggs. There are a handful of very common
>ingredients that you can memorize or make a chart for the inside of a
>cabinet door. The other good source for determining the weight of less
>common ingredients (pineapple, bananas, etc.) can be found on the USDA
>nutrition database. http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ For very
>small amounts like salt, leavening agents, extracts, and spices, I just use
>the teaspoon measurement given the in the original recipe.
>
>I pencil in the weights in my cookbooks once I have done the conversion.

I use MasterCook, which makes it easy. I've posted a few conversions
to grams for everything in the recipe in the
group together with some basic
conversion information. For a large egg, use 50 grams in Canada and
52 grams in the U.S. if you need to be precise. Otherwise it is
relatively simple to do any of the required conversions, or ASK here
and either I or someone else will be able to supply a conversion to
you.

FWIW

RsH

Copyright retained. My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!

Years back I learned how to easily measure shortening. Put 1 cup of
water into a 2 cup measuring glass. Add your shortening below the
water level until it's up to where you want..... minus 1 cup, of course.