thinman

Default Key Lime cheesecake

Outside of lime wedges for garnishment, what else has
anyone used ???

thanks
ray

H. W. Hans Kuntze

thinman wrote:

>Outside of lime wedges for garnishment, what else has
>anyone used ???

Key Lime fruit slices soft candy, available frome cake decorating supply =

houses, similar to these.

http://store4.yimg.com/I/candywarehouse_1765_10561961

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com ,
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

Eric Jorgensen

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:36:18 -0600
"thinman" > wrote:

> Outside of lime wedges for garnishment, what else has
> anyone used ???

Keep in mind that the key lime is a different fruit. It's got a thin
rind which is a mild yellow color when ripe, and is very small (not much
bigger than a golf ball). It has a distinctly different flavor when
compared to the more common Persian lime. It also doesn't travel well,
and so the ripe fruit is hard to find north of, say, south texas.

- Eric

thinman

Thanks....!

--
Sincerly,

C=¦-)§ H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com ,
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

thinman

Thanks...!

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:36:18 -0600
> "thinman" > wrote:
>
> > Outside of lime wedges for garnishment, what else has
> > anyone used ???

> Keep in mind that the key lime is a different fruit. It's got a thin
> rind which is a mild yellow color when ripe, and is very small (not much
> bigger than a golf ball). It has a distinctly different flavor when
> compared to the more common Persian lime. It also doesn't travel well,
> and so the ripe fruit is hard to find north of, say, south texas.
>
> - Eric

Del Cecchi

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:36:18 -0600
> "thinman" > wrote:
>
> > Outside of lime wedges for garnishment, what else has
> > anyone used ???

> Keep in mind that the key lime is a different fruit. It's got a thin
> rind which is a mild yellow color when ripe, and is very small (not much
> bigger than a golf ball). It has a distinctly different flavor when
> compared to the more common Persian lime. It also doesn't travel well,
> and so the ripe fruit is hard to find north of, say, south texas.
>
> - Eric

Don't know if they are ripe or not, but I buy them in a bag at the local
SuperWalmart here in Minnesota, which is pretty far from south Texas. And
by the way, a taste test of pies by Cooks Illustrated showed no detectable
taste difference between Persian Lime and Key Lime, for what it is worth.

del cecchi

Eric Jorgensen

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:16:17 -0600
"Del Cecchi" > wrote:

> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:36:18 -0600
> > "thinman" > wrote:
> >
> > > Outside of lime wedges for garnishment, what else has
> > > anyone used ???

> > Keep in mind that the key lime is a different fruit. It's got a thin
> > rind which is a mild yellow color when ripe, and is very small (not
> > much bigger than a golf ball). It has a distinctly different flavor
> > when compared to the more common Persian lime. It also doesn't
> > travel well, and so the ripe fruit is hard to find north of, say,
> > south texas.
> >
> > - Eric
> >

> Don't know if they are ripe or not, but I buy them in a bag at the
> local SuperWalmart here in Minnesota, which is pretty far from south
> Texas. And by the way, a taste test of pies by Cooks Illustrated
> showed no detectable taste difference between Persian Lime and Key
> Lime, for what it is worth.

If they're green, they're under-ripe. It's that simple.

`I was once given a bag of key limes with dark green rinds. The flavor,
under developed, I admit was similar to persian limes. and quite
different from bottled key lime juice. it's mellower.

The chemical composition of key lime juice is significantly dissimilar
from the chemical composition of persian lime juice. You can buy key
lime juice in most grocery stores these days. I can tell the difference.
I can also tell the difference when someone hands me some 'key lime'
flavored products -- the 'key lime' flavor chocolate orange is quite
clearly persian lime, for example. Sometimes 'key lime' flavor is
approximated by mixing persian lime juice with lemon juice.

So Cooks Illustrated can go hang, for all I care.

Gregory H.A. Welch

<snip>
> >Outside of lime wedges for garnishment, what else has
> >anyone used ???

I like to either drizzle or pool raspberry puree on the plate before
serving a slice of key lime pie on it. Have seen some use a mint leaf
with this. Good key lime pie really only needs a fork as garnish in my
book!

PAX!
Greg
thinman

Went looking thru a Southern Living mag and found one
that used strawberries (sauce ?) on top....since I'm not
a fan of strawberries, didn't want to use it.

Thought about toasted almond slivers arranged around
the edge, with/without some whipped cream also.

thanks for the suggestion.

ray

"Gregory H.A. Welch" > wrote in message
> <snip>
> > >Outside of lime wedges for garnishment, what else has
> > >anyone used ???
> > >

> I like to either drizzle or pool raspberry puree on the plate before
> serving a slice of key lime pie on it. Have seen some use a mint leaf
> with this. Good key lime pie really only needs a fork as garnish in my
> book!
>
> PAX!
> Greg

P Latzke

Hi there -
I just made a delicious lime cheesecake which was layered - first the
cheesecake
layer, then a thin sour cream layer topped off with a lime glaze which is
almost
like the filling of a lemon meringue pie (except made with limes, of
course.) As a
garnich, I heated up some raspberry jam and ribboned it throughout the
topping.
It was beautiful and the tast of the raspberry and lime together was
amazing!
Patty