Karen & Neil

Default Using a Tube-Shaped Bread Pan to Bake a Cake

Hi. I have an idea to make back to school cakes for my children - I would
make one look like a pencil for my 6 year-old who is entering 1st grade, and
a crayon for my 3 year-old who is entering preschool. The best way I can
think to do this is by baking cakes in tube-shaped bread pans. However I do
not know how much to put in the pan. Does anyone know how full I should
fill enclosed tube pans so that the cake will rise the appropriate amount?

Thanks.

Karen

Vox Humana

"Karen & Neil" > wrote in message
> Hi. I have an idea to make back to school cakes for my children - I would
> make one look like a pencil for my 6 year-old who is entering 1st grade,

and
> a crayon for my 3 year-old who is entering preschool. The best way I can
> think to do this is by baking cakes in tube-shaped bread pans. However I

do
> not know how much to put in the pan. Does anyone know how full I should
> fill enclosed tube pans so that the cake will rise the appropriate amount?

Since no one responded, I will give you my opinion which is limited in this
area. Generally, you should only fill a pan 2/3 to 3/4 full. You should be
prepared for overflows by putting a baking sheet below the pan. Don't get
obsessed with the cake exactly filling the pan when finished. This is a
novelty cake. No one is going to have their wedding ruined if your "pencil"
is a couple inches short. (There's a joke there, but I'm not touching it.)