All

Default Sugar or not?

Hi
I'm across putting sugar with dried yeast to get it going but some recipes
ask for sugar in with the flour. Is this just for taste?
I use the easy blend yeast if that makes a difference.
Also my bread always comes out quite dense (bit like me!), anything I can do
to change that?
Thanks again for the advise about putting it in the fridge etc.
B Bear

Kenneth

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 19:08:10 +0100, "All" >
wrote:

>Hi
>I'm across putting sugar with dried yeast to get it going but some recipes
>ask for sugar in with the flour. Is this just for taste?
>I use the easy blend yeast if that makes a difference.
>Also my bread always comes out quite dense (bit like me!), anything I can do
>to change that?
>Thanks again for the advise about putting it in the fridge etc.
>B Bear

Howdy,

You have quite a few questions there, but I will respond to a few...

Indeed, sugar will speed up the growth of the yeast. Some recipes call
for added sugar because it changes the flavor and texture.

If your breads are dense (other things being equal) it means that you
are not allowing enough time in the final rise. Don't do it by the
clock. Instead, let the bread rise until it seems to be rather "fat"
almost looking inflated. Then, put it in to bake.

It is also useful (though at the cost of a loaf of bread) to allow it
to rise until it collapses and note the time. Then, repeat the recipe,
but put it in to bake about thirty minutes before the collapse.

Have fun,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:05:00 -0400, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 19:08:10 +0100, "All" >
>wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>I'm across putting sugar with dried yeast to get it going but some recipes
>>ask for sugar in with the flour. Is this just for taste?
>>I use the easy blend yeast if that makes a difference.
>>Also my bread always comes out quite dense (bit like me!), anything I can do
>>to change that?
>>Thanks again for the advise about putting it in the fridge etc.
>>B Bear
>>

>Howdy,
>
>You have quite a few questions there, but I will respond to a few...
>
>Indeed, sugar will speed up the growth of the yeast. Some recipes call
>for added sugar because it changes the flavor and texture.
>
>If your breads are dense (other things being equal) it means that you
>are not allowing enough time in the final rise. Don't do it by the
>clock. Instead, let the bread rise until it seems to be rather "fat"
>almost looking inflated. Then, put it in to bake.
>
>It is also useful (though at the cost of a loaf of bread) to allow it
>to rise until it collapses and note the time. Then, repeat the recipe,
>but put it in to bake about thirty minutes before the collapse.
>
>Have fun,

Howdy,

I should have added that there is no need to add sugar to "get the
yeast going." It will grow just fine with flour and water etc.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Reg

Kenneth wrote:

> It is also useful (though at the cost of a loaf of bread) to allow it
> to rise until it collapses and note the time. Then, repeat the recipe,
> but put it in to bake about thirty minutes before the collapse.

I agree 100%. It's useful and instructive when you're learning about
bread to form a loaf and watch it go the entire cycle - all the
way to overproofed.

Vox Humana

"All" > wrote in message
> Hi
> I'm across putting sugar with dried yeast to get it going but some recipes
> ask for sugar in with the flour. Is this just for taste?
> I use the easy blend yeast if that makes a difference.
> Also my bread always comes out quite dense (bit like me!), anything I can

do
> to change that?
> Thanks again for the advise about putting it in the fridge etc.
> B Bear

If "easy blend yeast" is the same thing as "instant yeast," AKA, "bread
machine yeast" then it shouldn't be hydrated and proofed. It should be
blended with the other dry ingredients such as flour, sugar, and salt. The
liquid and fat is added to they dry ingredients, mixed, and kneaded.
Hydrating instant yeast actually harms the yeast, unlke active dry yeast
which should be hydrated before use.

Bread is dense because it hasn't risen well. That could be because of two
issues. First, they yeast could be dead or mostly dead. Yeast dies from
improper storage, and over heating. As I mentioned above, instant yeast
shouldn't be hydrated before use. The second reason bread is dense is due
to a lack of gluten. The most obvious situation is where the flour lacks an
adequate amount of the two gluten forming proteins. Another case is where
the gluten proteins are not kneaded adequately to form a strong network that
traps gas. A third cause is where the proteins are present, but can not
join. Sugar and fat can interfere with gluten formation. A final cause for
dense bread is when it over-rises and then collapses in the oven.

Charles Baker

Fermentation is the process by which yeasts act on sugars and changes them
into carbon dioxide gas and alcohol. This release of gas produces the
leavining action in yeast products. The alcohol evaporates completely
during and immediately after baking. Fermentable sugar comes from two
sources:
1) it is added to the dough by the baker;
2) It is produced from flour by enzymes that break down the wheat starch
into sugar. These enzymes are present in the flour and/or are added by the
baker in the form of diastatic malt.

Yeast is a microscopic plant that accomplishes this fermentation process by
producing enzymes. Some of thses enzymes change COMPLEX sugars (sucrose and
maltose - table sugar) into SIMPLE sugars. Others change the simple sugars
into carbon dioxide gas and alcohol. IT IS THE SIMPLE SUGARS WHICH THE
YEAST FEEDS ON FIRST. The more sugar added to a dough, the slower
fermentation. Sugar, is also responsible for colour and affect on flavour.