Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default substitution sugar for sugar

How do I substitute brown sugar for muscovado? Should I pack it down
or not when I measure?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 19, 3:13*pm, sf > wrote:
> How do I substitute brown sugar for muscovado? *Should I pack it down
> or not when I measure?
>
> --
> All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

you should use brown sugar along with a tablespoon full of
molasses.....more or less according to how strong you
want the sugar to be
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 19, 3:16*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Oct 19, 3:13*pm, sf > wrote:
>
> > How do I substitute brown sugar for muscovado? *Should I pack it down
> > or not when I measure?

> > --
> > All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

> you should use brown sugar along with a tablespoon full of
> molasses.....more or less according to how strong you
> want the sugar to be

Many recipes from India call for jaggery which is a lot like
muscovado, has a stronger more molasses taste to it. I always
add some molasses to brown sugar to use in those recipes as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:21:21 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Oct 19, 3:16*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> > On Oct 19, 3:13*pm, sf > wrote:
> >
> > > How do I substitute brown sugar for muscovado? *Should I pack it down
> > > or not when I measure?

> > > --
> > > All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

> > you should use brown sugar along with a tablespoon full of
> > molasses.....more or less according to how strong you
> > want the sugar to be

> Many recipes from India call for jaggery which is a lot like
> muscovado, has a stronger more molasses taste to it. I always
> add some molasses to brown sugar to use in those recipes as well.

I was thinking about nb's fruitcake recipe. I don't want to buy some
sugar I'll never use just to make it, so adding a bit of molasses
makes more sense. I like the light color, so I hope added molasses
won't change that.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 19, 3:50*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:21:21 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>

> > wrote:

> > > you should use brown sugar along with a tablespoon full of
> > > molasses.....more or less according to how strong you
> > > want the sugar to be

> > Many recipes from India call for jaggery which is a lot like
> > muscovado, has a stronger more molasses taste to it. *I always
> > add some molasses to brown sugar to use in those recipes as well.

> I was thinking about nb's fruitcake recipe. *I don't want to buy some
> sugar I'll never use just to make it, so adding a bit of molasses
> makes more sense. *I like the light color, so I hope added molasses
> won't change that.
>
> --
> All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.- Hide quoted text -

no a spoonful won't change the color much at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:54:09 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Oct 19, 3:50*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:21:21 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> >

> > > wrote:

> > > Many recipes from India call for jaggery which is a lot like
> > > muscovado, has a stronger more molasses taste to it. *I always
> > > add some molasses to brown sugar to use in those recipes as well.

> > I was thinking about nb's fruitcake recipe. *I don't want to buy some
> > sugar I'll never use just to make it, so adding a bit of molasses
> > makes more sense. *I like the light color, so I hope added molasses
> > won't change that.
> >
> > --
> > All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.- Hide quoted text -

> no a spoonful won't change the color much at all.

Thanks. I use unsulphured molasses, will a spoonful actually affect
flavor enough to matter?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 19, 4:02*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:54:09 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>

> > wrote:
> > On Oct 19, 3:50*pm, sf > wrote:
> > > On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:21:21 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags

> > > I was thinking about nb's fruitcake recipe. *I don't want to buy some
> > > sugar I'll never use just to make it, so adding a bit of molasses
> > > makes more sense. *I like the light color, so I hope added molasses
> > > won't change that.

> > > --
> > > All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.- Hide quoted text -

> > no a spoonful won't change the color much at all.

> Thanks. *I use unsulphured molasses, will a spoonful actually affect
> flavor enough to matter?
>
> --
> All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.- Hide quoted text -

yes, it really does make the sugar stronger tasting and makes a
difference..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 16:06:46 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> yes, it really does make the sugar stronger tasting and makes a
> difference..

Okay, then I'll try it! Thanks again.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.