GourdDiva

Default homemade breakfast bars

I am looking for a recipe for homemade breakfast type bars. I hate to
try to figure out what to eat several times a day and only usually cook
for dinner. If I had nutritious bars around most of the time I
would just eat those.

I do hope this isn't blasphemous on a baking group!

I am planning to ACTUALLY bake these if I can find a recipe I like!

I do cook and bake but I am home alone most of the day and don't like
to prepare just for myself.

I have googled and got kid snack recipes!

Roy

Creating a personal breakfast bar is not difficult;
Just watch the concreter doing his stuff mixing cement, gravel and sand
and casting it out and Eureka! You had a simple idea to apply to your
cereal // granola mix!
You can bolls sugar, glucose and water to form a thick syrup then use
that to bind your granola mixture.
Dump that into an oiled marble surface or a wide baking pan, flatten it
out and cut while still warm.
Another you can also heat a small amount of sugar in the pot until it
melts then adding more sugar and repeating the procedure until you had
enough mixture to bind your cereal mixture. Then stir in some butter
into it until it melts and froths then immediately stir in the cereal
mix into the syrup butter mixture then while hot dump it into an oiled
surface then flatten with rolling pin and cut while warm to bar sizes.
Voila! You have your simple breakfast bars!
The web offers many examples of such; just key in between apostrophe
breakfast bars.
And you will see countless examples
Roy

Roy

BTW.....your comment caught my attention. i
>I have googled and got kid snack recipes!

That is discriminatory...
Why ? .are the kids the only ones to eat such kind of food?
If that is your mindset you have to ask yourself what do I want to eat
that can be construed as adult food or does not have a Parental
Guidance rating( PG13)?
Tthen use that to solve your Breakast bar problem:
.....What is the main constituent and what is the suitable binder.
Roy

Vox Humana

"Roy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Creating a personal breakfast bar is not difficult;
> Just watch the concreter doing his stuff mixing cement, gravel and sand
> and casting it out and Eureka! You had a simple idea to apply to your
> cereal // granola mix!
> You can bolls sugar, glucose and water to form a thick syrup then use
> that to bind your granola mixture.
> Dump that into an oiled marble surface or a wide baking pan, flatten it
> out and cut while still warm.
> Another you can also heat a small amount of sugar in the pot until it
> melts then adding more sugar and repeating the procedure until you had
> enough mixture to bind your cereal mixture. Then stir in some butter
> into it until it melts and froths then immediately stir in the cereal
> mix into the syrup butter mixture then while hot dump it into an oiled
> surface then flatten with rolling pin and cut while warm to bar sizes.
> Voila! You have your simple breakfast bars!
> The web offers many examples of such; just key in between apostrophe
> breakfast bars.
> And you will see countless examples
> Roy

Are "breakfast bars" really much more nutritious than candy bars?

Roy

Vox Humana wrote:

> Are "breakfast bars" really much more nutritious than candy bars?

Candy bar (usually) had minimal amount of fiber if compared to a
breakfast bar,, If that counts as nutritional factor.
Roy

Granola Bars

2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped English walnuts
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 9x13 inch baking
pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper, and spray with vegetable oil
spray.
In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, raisins, wheat
germ, salt, cinnamon, and walnuts. In a smaller bowl, thoroughly blend
oil, honey, egg, and vanilla; pour into the flour mixture, and mix by
hand until the liquid is evenly distributed. Press evenly into the
prepared baking pan.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are
golden. Cool completely in pan before turning out onto a cutting board
and cutting into bars.

I also have made bars that called for sweetened condensed milk in place
of the honey.

Baking is a method of cooking food with hot air in an eclosure . So
your question is not off the topic.

GourdDiva

Roy wrote:
> BTW.....your comment caught my attention. i
> >I have googled and got kid snack recipes!

> That is discriminatory...

I really didn't mean it that way. LOL But it seemed like most
everything that came back was geared to kids.

Lisa T

GourdDiva

I would think that if I make them myself with a recipe such as the one
Bobbi sent they would be much more healthy. That is one reacon I am
thinking of doing it myself instead of getting some form the store.

Mike Avery

I was wondering if anyone here has a kolache recipe they like. I've
seen lots and lots in cookbooks and on-line, but I'm looking for
something good and authentic, so a recomendation helps.

Thanks,
Mike

Vox Humana

"Mike Avery" > wrote in message
news:mailman.3.1118547786.56639.rec.food.baking@ma il.otherwhen.com...
> I was wondering if anyone here has a kolache recipe they like. I've
> seen lots and lots in cookbooks and on-line, but I'm looking for
> something good and authentic, so a recomendation helps.

I have found that kolache means different things to different people. My
mother is 1st generation Czech. What she makes as well as what other family
members call "kolache" is a pizza-like product with fruit toppings. Others
make small rolls with an indentation filled with fruit. I have also heard
people use the term "kolache" to mean any type of small pastry.

What type of kolache are you looking for?

Mike Avery

Vox Humana wrote:

>What type of kolache are you looking for?

The local Czech communities where I lived in Texas always had the small
rolls with an indention that had a fruit filling in them. Sometimes,
the same dough was used to wrap little sausages, kind of a Czech "pig in
a blanket" sort of thing.

What is interesting to me is the sheer range of recipes I've found -
some are very lean doughs, others are loaded with fat. I don't have a
fat phobia, but I am interested in a tasty and authentic recipe.

Thanks,
Mike

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 12 Jun 2005 08:02:56a, Mike Avery wrote in rec.food.baking:

> Vox Humana wrote:
>
>>What type of kolache are you looking for?
>>

> The local Czech communities where I lived in Texas always had the small
> rolls with an indention that had a fruit filling in them. Sometimes,
> the same dough was used to wrap little sausages, kind of a Czech "pig in
> a blanket" sort of thing.
>
> What is interesting to me is the sheer range of recipes I've found -
> some are very lean doughs, others are loaded with fat. I don't have a
> fat phobia, but I am interested in a tasty and authentic recipe.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Mike, here are three recipes, one using cottage, one with cream cheese, and
one with sour cream in the dough. All were received from several of my
Slovak friends in NE Ohio. All are good. Take your pick.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Kolache (cottage Cheese)

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies Desserts

1 lb Margarine (not butter)
12 oz Carton whipped cream cottage
- cheese
4 c All-purpose flour
1 pn Salt
Assorted prepared fillings
(apricot, cherry, pineapple,
- poppyseed, nut, prune)

Cream margarine until fluffy. Add cottage cheese, continuing to beat
until well-combined. Combine flour and salt. Add flour mixture 1 cup at
time, beating only until incorporated. Divide dough into four portions,
shape into balls, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate
overnight.
Roll each ball into rectangle 1/8" thick. Cut into 2" squares. Place
1/2
teaspoon filling in each square. Overlap two opposite corners over
filling, sealing with a drop of water. Bake 15-20 minutes at 350
degrees
until light golden brown.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Kolache (cream Cheese)

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies Desserts

1 1/2 c Flour
1/2 ts Baking powder
1/2 lb Butter or margarine
8 oz Cream cheese
1 tb Milk
1 tb Granulated sugar
1 Egg yolk, beaten
Assorted fruit fillings -
(apricot, cherry, pineapple,
- poppyseed, nut, prune)

Combine flour and baking powder. Set aside. Cream together butter and
cream cheese. Add milk, sugar, and beaten egg yolk. Beat until well
combined. Add flour one cup at a time, beating just to combine. Form
dough into ball, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Roll dough into rectangle 1/8" thick. Cut into 2" squares. Drop 1/2
teaspoon filling into center of each square. Overlap two opposite
corners
over center of filling, sealing with water. Bake 15-20 minutes at 350
degrees until light golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar while
still warm.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Kolache (sour Cream)

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies Desserts

1/2 lb Butter or margarine
1 Egg yolk
3/4 c Sour cream
2 c All-purpose flour

Cream butter until fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and sour cream until
well-combined. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating only until
incorporated. Divide dough into two portions, shape into balls, wrap

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Mike Avery

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Mike, here are three recipes, one using cottage, one with cream
> cheese, and one with sour cream in the dough. All were received from
> several of my Slovak friends in NE Ohio. All are good. Take your pick.

Wow..... I really appreciate this, and they add a new dimension to the
variation in recipes - these are the first ones I've seen that don't
have any riser in them. All the others I've seen were yeast based rolls.

These don't have yeast, baking powder, baking soda, or even trapped air.

It is amazing the variety in recipes that go by the same name. I am
very interested in trying them.

Oh - do you know why the first recipe specifies "margarine (not butter)"?

Thanks again,
Mike

Dusty Bleher

Interesting recipes, thanks Wayne.

Like Mike, I'm always kinda on the lookout for "authentic" (old-country)
recipes. Now in much of Europe they've been baking things like this for at
least a couple of hundred years... That means that any recipe that uses
"margarine" in it has been *******ized in some way. Same with the use of
yeast...that's only been around a hundred years or so.

Also, the various cheeses you'd listed; they're relatively modern. I'll bet
they used to use a cheese call "qvark" (or quark). That's the German name,
I'm not sure what it is for other countries. But qvark is sort of a mild
creamy cheese that sits sort of halfway between all of the other cheeses and
sourcream and is easily made as a cottage type industry. It makes for a
wonderful cheese filling...

But still, with these recipes as a starting point, I'm gonna have some fun
trying to reinvent those old recipes...(:-o)! Thanks again!

Dusty

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sun 12 Jun 2005 08:02:56a, Mike Avery wrote in rec.food.baking:
>
>> Vox Humana wrote:
>>
>>>What type of kolache are you looking for?
>>>

>> The local Czech communities where I lived in Texas always had the small
>> rolls with an indention that had a fruit filling in them. Sometimes,
>> the same dough was used to wrap little sausages, kind of a Czech "pig in
>> a blanket" sort of thing.
>>
>> What is interesting to me is the sheer range of recipes I've found -
>> some are very lean doughs, others are loaded with fat. I don't have a
>> fat phobia, but I am interested in a tasty and authentic recipe.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 12 Jun 2005 10:43:31a, Mike Avery wrote in rec.food.baking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Mike, here are three recipes, one using cottage, one with cream
>> cheese, and one with sour cream in the dough. All were received from
>> several of my Slovak friends in NE Ohio. All are good. Take your pick.

> Wow..... I really appreciate this, and they add a new dimension to the
> variation in recipes - these are the first ones I've seen that don't
> have any riser in them. All the others I've seen were yeast based rolls.
>
> These don't have yeast, baking powder, baking soda, or even trapped air.
>
> It is amazing the variety in recipes that go by the same name. I am
> very interested in trying them.
>
> Oh - do you know why the first recipe specifies "margarine (not butter)"?
>
> Thanks again,
> Mike

No, actually, I don't. But I do remember the lady who gave me that recipe
was very specific about that.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Beth Kevles

It's possible that the recipe that specified margerine rather than
butter was from the Jewish community and meant to be "pareve"
(containing neither meat nor milk)? (Assuming a jam and not a cheese
filling.) In that case, the old-country version would have specified
some sort of oil rather than butter.

Just a thought ... there used to be a lot of Czech Jews.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
fenellawella

165g wholemeal flour
75g sugar (or the equivalent low calory sweetner)
2 tsp baking powder
15g wheat bran
1tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
135g rolled oats
160g finely chopped dried apricots
70g sunflower seeds (shelled)
175ml unsweetened apple puree (baby food will do!)
115ml apple juice
3 omega-3 eggs
2 tsp vegetable oil

1 - line a shallow 20 x 30cm baking dish with greaseproof paper
2 - mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, bran and spices in a large
bowl. Stir in the oats, apricots and sunflower seeds.
3 - mix the apple sauce, apple juice, eggs and oil, and add to the
flour mixture. Pour into the baking dish and spread evenly
4 - bake at 200C / 400F / Gas Mark 6 for about 15 - 20 minutes, or
until lightly browned. Let cool and cut into bars. Makes about 16.

Happy Breakfasting!!

GourdDiva

This sounds yummy! Does anyone know how to convert grams and
milileters to oz and cups? I want to try this one too.
GourdDiva

Roy

At last you found the recipe you prefer!.....
Conversion of grams and milliliter to oz is not that difficult.
One ounce is equal to 28.35 grams. You can round that to 30 grams.
One ml is equivalent to one gram.
One ounce of liquid is roughly 30 grams depending upon the thickness
and consistency (plus or minus)
Roy.

Scott

In article . com>,
"GourdDiva" > wrote:

> This sounds yummy! Does anyone know how to convert grams and
> milileters to oz and cups? I want to try this one too.

Go to Google and enter the conversion into the search bar.

For example:
"165 grams in ounces" (without the quotes) yields
"165 grams = 5.82020372 ounces"

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
GourdDiva

Thanks for the conversion help. Grew up in USA and did not take enough
math (or more likely don't remember). LOL

fenellawella

Who needs to remember maths from school when Google will do it all for
you!!!

Michelle and Steve

A favourite site of mine for converting....well....ANYTHING....

http://www.onlineconversion.com/
--
Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride - HST, RIP.

"GourdDiva" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> This sounds yummy! Does anyone know how to convert grams and
> milileters to oz and cups? I want to try this one too.
> GourdDiva

Sharon

Do you know whether these bars freeze well ? I think they sound great
for lunches for my son, but couldn't use them all up at once. Thanks!