Default Best fried chicken strips

I never had luck frying chicken with a seasoned breading coating until
I learned to just skip the milk. Whisk the spices and herbs into the
egg. Dip chicken into the egg mix, then dredge in flour. Or if you
want a heavier coating, try matzoh meal instead of the flour. Then
fry.

This one says one inch of oil?! Yikes! Use just enough to come up to
one half of the height of the meat, then turn over.

Or even, quickly fry to "seal" the breading to the meat, and then
remove to a wire rack in a pan and finish up in the oven. A lot less
oil soaked into the meat, and therefore more healthy.

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I never had luck frying chicken with a seasoned breading coating until
> I learned to just skip the milk. Whisk the spices and herbs into the
> egg. Dip chicken into the egg mix, then dredge in flour. Or if you
> want a heavier coating, try matzoh meal instead of the flour. Then
> fry.

I like to season the chicken directly. I think you waste seasoning when you
put it into the flour or the egg and then throw most of it away. I also
think that you end up with seasoned chicken rather than bland chicken with a
seasoned coating. I also think it helps to brine the chicken first, even if
you only have 30 minutes.

As for the pancake mix - I don't see the point. Pancake mix is flour,
baking powder, and salt. It's essentially self-rising flour that you add
some egg, oil, and milk to. For southern fried chicken, I brine first,
rinse, dry, season, dip in an egg wash, and then into flour. For boneless
chicken strips, I brine, rinse, dry, season, dip in egg wash, and then into
bread crumbs. The strips cook so quickly that the crumbs don't have a
chance to burn. Since I bake my own bread I always have the odd chuck that
has gone stale. I put those pieces in the food processor and make crumbs.
The crumbs are stored in a large zip-lock bag in the freezer.

maureeng7eh

Can you please explain your method of brining and what do you make the brine
with? Thank you

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I never had luck frying chicken with a seasoned breading coating until
> > I learned to just skip the milk. Whisk the spices and herbs into the
> > egg. Dip chicken into the egg mix, then dredge in flour. Or if you
> > want a heavier coating, try matzoh meal instead of the flour. Then
> > fry.
> >

> I like to season the chicken directly. I think you waste seasoning when

you
> put it into the flour or the egg and then throw most of it away. I also
> think that you end up with seasoned chicken rather than bland chicken with

> seasoned coating. I also think it helps to brine the chicken first, even

if
> you only have 30 minutes.
>
> As for the pancake mix - I don't see the point. Pancake mix is flour,
> baking powder, and salt. It's essentially self-rising flour that you add
> some egg, oil, and milk to. For southern fried chicken, I brine first,
> rinse, dry, season, dip in an egg wash, and then into flour. For boneless
> chicken strips, I brine, rinse, dry, season, dip in egg wash, and then

into
> bread crumbs. The strips cook so quickly that the crumbs don't have a
> chance to burn. Since I bake my own bread I always have the odd chuck

that
> has gone stale. I put those pieces in the food processor and make crumbs.
> The crumbs are stored in a large zip-lock bag in the freezer.

Vox Humana

"maureeng7eh" > wrote in message
> Can you please explain your method of brining and what do you make the

brine
> with? Thank you

I generally add a cup of salt and a cup of sugar to about a gallon of water.
The chicken, turkey, or pork goes into the solution for several hours or
overnight, under refrigeration. If I have small pieces like skinless,
boneless chicken, I will just put about a half cup of sugar and salt into a
gallon size bag, add some water to dissolve the crystals, add the chicken,
and top off with water to cover. About an hour is sufficient to improve the
meat. Brining makes the meat stay moist and distributed the salt deep into
the interior of the meat. I think that improved both the texture and the
flavor. Of course, you don't want to add any more salt when you season the
meat before cooking.

Sometimes I liketo use tempura batter for chicken tenders. I usually
brine the tenders for a short time first. Dry. Dip in batter and deep
fry. The batter I use now is: 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup cornstarch, 1 1/2
tsp. baking powder, 1 egg yolk, 3/4 cup club soda or lemon-lime soda or
cold water. When I lived in the northwest, I used rice flour instead
of cornstarch. I also use this batter for fish and onion rings. BobbiJo

jimmyjames

> I like to season the chicken directly. I think you waste seasoning when

you
> put it into the flour or the egg and then throw most of it away. I also
> think that you end up with seasoned chicken rather than bland chicken with

> seasoned coating. I also think it helps to brine the chicken first, even

if
> you only have 30 minutes.

> As for the pancake mix - I don't see the point. Pancake mix is flour,
> baking powder, and salt. It's essentially self-rising flour that you add
> some egg, oil, and milk to.

Well... See? That's where yer wrong Big Man! I would guess that the Kind
of pancake mix YOU use is flour, baking powder and salt, but that's where
yer wrong! It has flour. Cornstarch, Barley flour and buttermilk! (as well
as baking powder and a few assorted vitamins and Hydrogenated soybean oil. I
believe that the brine step is a good idea, because the real difference
between Good fried chicken and fried chicken is the salt.
As far as the seasoning is concerned, The cayanne is a strong spice... I
just want a little flavor not hot.
and I really like the flavor of chicken. Bread crumbs are what soak up the
oil. Chicken already has enough oil. Small strips of chicken cook really
fast I may have over-estimated the time I cook the strips, but the oil
cooks the the chicken coating so fast that very little oil soaks into the
"chicken". As it turns out, I knew that I would outrage some expert that
would let me know that they had inequivically a better recipe and wouldn't
be able to try the recipe because they would know for a fact that they new a
better way. More, I have tried every possible way to cook fried chicken
strips known to man (maybe not every) and have found, for me, The
tastiest, lightest, best recipe is the one I wrote down. Every one I know
thinks that I make the BEST fried chicken strips.
jjjj

For southern fried chicken, I brine first,
> rinse, dry, season, dip in an egg wash, and then into flour. For boneless
> chicken strips, I brine, rinse, dry, season, dip in egg wash, and then

into
> bread crumbs. The strips cook so quickly that the crumbs don't have a
> chance to burn. Since I bake my own bread I always have the odd chuck

that
> has gone stale. I put those pieces in the food processor and make crumbs.
> The crumbs are stored in a large zip-lock bag in the freezer.

Vox Humana

"jimmyjames" > wrote in message
link.net...

> > I like to season the chicken directly. I think you waste seasoning when

> you
> > put it into the flour or the egg and then throw most of it away. I also
> > think that you end up with seasoned chicken rather than bland chicken

with
> > seasoned coating. I also think it helps to brine the chicken first,

even
> if
> > you only have 30 minutes.

> > As for the pancake mix - I don't see the point. Pancake mix is flour,
> > baking powder, and salt. It's essentially self-rising flour that you

add
> > some egg, oil, and milk to.

> Well... See? That's where yer wrong Big Man! I would guess that the Kind
> of pancake mix YOU use is flour, baking powder and salt, but that's where
> yer wrong! It has flour. Cornstarch, Barley flour and buttermilk! (as

well
> as baking powder and a few assorted vitamins and Hydrogenated soybean oil.

So what you are saying is that you posted a recipe that was not accurate.
In order to reproduce your "best" fried chicken strips, you should have
specified "Pancake mix with buttermilk, barley, cornstarch, and assorted
chemical that I don't care to mention."

> believe that the brine step is a good idea, because the real difference
> between Good fried chicken and fried chicken is the salt.
> As far as the seasoning is concerned, The cayenne is a strong spice... I
> just want a little flavor not hot.

Do you not have the ability to dispense just a little cayenne directly onto
the chicken or does someone stand over you with a gun demanding that you
shake mass quantities from the container? You do realize that you can mix
all the seasonings together and then apply them to the chicken? That is
exactly what I do. I have a basic rub that I use on a variety of meats. I
keep it in a handy container and sprinkle it directly on meat before I cook
it. That way I don't have to try to distribute a 1/4 tsp. of cayenne over
four chicken breasts nor do I find myself using large quantities of spices
that get thrown away with the excess flour or crumbs. That said, do what
you want. I only posted the information for people who might be interested
in an alternative way of doing things that, in my opinion, results in a
better product and saves money.

> and I really like the flavor of chicken. Bread crumbs are what soak up

the
> oil.

They can if your oil is too cool.

>Chicken already has enough oil. <

Really? I thought we were dealing with skinless, boneless chicken.
Besides, you don't seem concerned about the hydrogenated soybean oil in your
pancake mix. Yum - transfats!

>Small strips of chicken cook really
> fast I may have over-estimated the time I cook the strips, but the oil
> cooks the the chicken coating so fast that very little oil soaks into the
> "chicken".

Yes, just like when you use crumbs or any other coating and have the oil at
the proper temperature.

As it turns out, I knew that I would outrage some expert that
> would let me know that they had inequivically a better recipe and wouldn't
> be able to try the recipe because they would know for a fact that they new

> better way. More, I have tried every possible way to cook fried chicken
> strips known to man (maybe not every) and have found, for me, The
> tastiest, lightest, best recipe is the one I wrote down. Every one I know
> thinks that I make the BEST fried chicken strips.

No, what you did was post a recipe and I commented on it. Frankly, it is
you who is being the "expert" and who is adverse to any discussion. I don't
recall saying that anyone should consider what I posted to be the "right" or
"best" way. I simply stated what I found to be true and gave the reasoning
for my advice. What I posted was essentially the same thing as Alton Brown
discussed on the fried chicken episode of "Good Eats." So if you are going
to get all indignant, you should drop an email to AB, too.

I have a "take it or leave it" approach to the advice and comments that I
post. And for the record, I don't use pancake mix. I am perfectly capable
of making pancakes from scratch. If you are easily upset by differing
opinions, then I would suggest that you do two things. First, please put me
in your kill file because I am unlikely to be in 100% agreement with you and
will probably say so. By KFing me, you can pretend that I don't exist and
will not see my posts. My second recommendation is that you make a notation
on all your posts saying that you are not interested in any discussion that
challenges your opinions, recipes, or techniques. You might find
Rec.food.recipes a better place to post. That newsgroup is moderated and no
discussion is allowed. They only accept recipes and requests for recipes.
Had you posted there, you could have continued to assume that you are the
alpha and omega of chicken strips.

jimmyjames

Just "ribbin'" you a little! fer gosh sakes Vox! I didn't know we were
gettin' all
out there! I'm a Texan... ti's part of our culture. I just posted the
recipe because
I'd just made it and it was good! I don't Killfile anyone. I didn't think
that we get all in a twist.

Here's what Ah'mona do. Ah'mona try it your way! Though more than likely
Ah'll use Flour instead of bread crumbs. I usually don't FRY much of
anything. but when I do, It's hit or miss as to if they come out superb or
just good.
jjjj

> No, what you did was post a recipe and I commented on it. Frankly, it is
> you who is being the "expert" and who is adverse to any discussion. I

don't
> recall saying that anyone should consider what I posted to be the "right"

or
> "best" way. I simply stated what I found to be true and gave the

reasoning
> for my advice. What I posted was essentially the same thing as Alton

Brown
> discussed on the fried chicken episode of "Good Eats." So if you are

going
> to get all indignant, you should drop an email to AB, too.
>
> I have a "take it or leave it" approach to the advice and comments that I
> post. And for the record, I don't use pancake mix. I am perfectly

capable
> of making pancakes from scratch. If you are easily upset by differing
> opinions, then I would suggest that you do two things. First, please put

me
> in your kill file because I am unlikely to be in 100% agreement with you

and
> will probably say so. By KFing me, you can pretend that I don't exist and
> will not see my posts. My second recommendation is that you make a

notation
> on all your posts saying that you are not interested in any discussion

that
> challenges your opinions, recipes, or techniques. You might find
> Rec.food.recipes a better place to post. That newsgroup is moderated and

no
> discussion is allowed. They only accept recipes and requests for recipes.
> Had you posted there, you could have continued to assume that you are the
> alpha and omega of chicken strips.

jimmyjames

I'm sorry Vox, I know that I must be in your Killfile, but I was tooting
my horn.
been in a bad place lately. Every thing you said below really makes sense.
I always brine my turkeys... never thought about using a brine for chicken.

> I like to season the chicken directly. I think you waste seasoning when

you
> put it into the flour or the egg and then throw most of it away. I also
> think that you end up with seasoned chicken rather than bland chicken with

> seasoned coating. I also think it helps to brine the chicken first, even

if
> you only have 30 minutes.
>
> As for the pancake mix - I don't see the point. Pancake mix is flour,
> baking powder, and salt. It's essentially self-rising flour that you add
> some egg, oil, and milk to. For southern fried chicken, I brine first,
> rinse, dry, season, dip in an egg wash, and then into flour. For boneless
> chicken strips, I brine, rinse, dry, season, dip in egg wash, and then

into
> bread crumbs. The strips cook so quickly that the crumbs don't have a
> chance to burn. Since I bake my own bread I always have the odd chuck

that
> has gone stale. I put those pieces in the food processor and make crumbs.
> The crumbs are stored in a large zip-lock bag in the freezer.

Vox Humana

"jimmyjames" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> I'm sorry Vox, I know that I must be in your Killfile, but I was tooting
> my horn.
> been in a bad place lately.

Nope. I've just been really busy lately with gardening stuff and some
surprise house guests. I guess that I was a bit quick to take offense, but
I couldn't tell you were kidding. Don't worry about it.

Chicken strips KenK General Cooking 8 03-11-2011 11:51 PM
Crispy Chicken Strips jacqueline austin Recipes (moderated) 0 21-04-2007 12:45 PM
Chili Chicken Strips Sharon[_3_] Recipes (moderated) 0 19-04-2007 11:08 AM
Buffalo Chicken Strips jacqueline austin Recipes (moderated) 0 12-03-2007 11:04 AM
Chili Chicken Strips Tamara L Recipes (moderated) 0 26-03-2006 03:11 PM