alzelt

Default First of season strawberries

Been waiting all winter for Washington State Strawberries. In town now,
and so delicious. Just made this pie as a good showcase. Worked out great.

* Exported from MasterCook *

GLAZED STRAWBERRY PIE

Recipe By : The Pie and Pastry Bible Rose Levy Beranbaum
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts Fruit
Pie

1 Basic Flaky Pie Crust for a 9-inch pie
1 tablespoon egg white -- lightly beaten
1/4 cup sugar
5 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup liquid cran/raspberry concentrate -- thawed,
undiluted
3/4 cup water
4 cups strawberries -- rinsed, hulled,
dried, and halved

Make dough:
Remove the dough from the refrigerator. If necessary, allow it to sit
for about 10 minutes or until it is soft enough to roll.

Using a pastry cloth and sleeve rubbed with flour or two sheets of
plastic wrap lightly sprinkled with flour, roll the dough 1/8 inch thick
or less and large enough to cut a 13-inch circle. Use an expandable flan
ring or a cardboard template and a sharp knife as a guide to cut out the
circle. Transfer the dough to the pie pan. Fold under the excess and
crimp the border using a fork or your fingers. Cover it loosely and
refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour and a maximum of 24 hours.

Preheat the oven to 425°F at least 20 minutes before baking.

Line the pastry shell with parchment, pleating it as necessary so it
fits into the pan, and fill it with rice or dried beans. Bake for 20
minutes. Carefully lift out the rice or beans with the parchment. With a
fork prick the bottom and sides and bake 5 to 10 minutes more or until
the crust is a pale golden. Check after 3 minutes and prick any bubbles
that may have formed.

Cool the crust on a rack for 3 minutes, so it is no longer piping hot,
then brush the bottom and sides with the egg white.

Make the filling:
In a 2-quart saucepan, mix together the sugar and cornstarch. Gradually
stir in the cran/raspberry concentrate and water until smooth. Over
medium heat, bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute.
Remove the pan from the heat and cool completely.

Gently fold in the strawberries and spoon the filling into the baked
pastry shell. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set.

Sto Refrigerated up to 2 days.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Reg

alzelt wrote:

> Been waiting all winter for Washington State Strawberries. In town now,
> and so delicious. Just made this pie as a good showcase. Worked out great.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> GLAZED STRAWBERRY PIE

I saved this one away, thank you. Did you enter this in yourself or
did you get it online somewhere? I have most of RLB's books but
I like having the recipes in softcopy too.

alzelt

Reg wrote:
> alzelt wrote:
>
>> Been waiting all winter for Washington State Strawberries. In town
>> now, and so delicious. Just made this pie as a good showcase. Worked
>> out great.
>>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> GLAZED STRAWBERRY PIE

> I saved this one away, thank you. Did you enter this in yourself or
> did you get it online somewhere? I have most of RLB's books but
> I like having the recipes in softcopy too.

Yes
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Reg

alzelt wrote:

> Yes

Well that's a lot of typing then. Thanks for posting the recipe.