floydm

Default Irish Soda Bread

Just in time for Saint Patrick's Day:

3 cups enriched unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
1 1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 cup golden raisins

Glaze
1 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons milk

Mix all the dry ingredients except the raisins, then mix in the wet
ingredients. Once all of the ingredients are combined, stir in the
raisins and pour the batter into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for an
hour to an hour and fifteen minutes, until a toothpick inserted into
the center comes out clean.

Photos and more information on this recipe available at:

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/modules/...php?storyid=28

graham

"floydm" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Just in time for Saint Patrick's Day:
>
> 3 cups enriched unbleached all-purpose flour
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 4 teaspoons baking powder
> 2/3 cup sugar
> 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
> 1 1/2 cup milk
> 1 egg
> 1 cup golden raisins
>
> Glaze
> 1 Tablespoons sugar
> 3 Tablespoons milk
>
> Mix all the dry ingredients except the raisins, then mix in the wet
> ingredients. Once all of the ingredients are combined, stir in the
> raisins and pour the batter into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for an
> hour to an hour and fifteen minutes, until a toothpick inserted into
> the center comes out clean.

You forgot the green coloring!!

Dee Randall

"graham" > wrote in message
newsWuZd.682059$Xk.607160@pd7tw3no...

> "floydm" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Just in time for Saint Patrick's Day:

Here's another Irish Soda bread recipe that I've used. There must've be a
million of them?

Irish Soda Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

4 Tablespoons sugar

3 Tablespoons butter

1 cup buttermilk

2/3 cup raisins

Combine powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.

Cut 3 Tablespoons butter into flour mixture until coarse, make a well in
center, and pour in buttermilk. Add raisins. Mix lightly.

Turn onto lightly floured board and knead 8 times.

Shape into round loaf and place in an 8- or 9-inch cake pan, Or parchment
paper.

Cut with an X.

Bake 25-35 minutes in a 350-degree oven

My recipe doesn't show green coloring, Graham.

Oh, by the by, Graham -- I just received my book, "Bread" yesterday -

Dee

graham

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> "graham" > wrote in message
> newsWuZd.682059$Xk.607160@pd7tw3no...
>>
>> "floydm" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> Just in time for Saint Patrick's Day:

> My recipe doesn't show green coloring, Graham.

On St.P's day, the bars around here put green food coloring in the beer!!!
Last year I asked for an orange juice instead<g>

> Oh, by the by, Graham -- I just received my book, "Bread" yesterday -

Is that the Collister book?

Graham

Dee Randall

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
>>
>> "graham" > wrote in message
>> newsWuZd.682059$Xk.607160@pd7tw3no...
>>>
>>> "floydm" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>> My recipe doesn't show green coloring, Graham.

> On St.P's day, the bars around here put green food coloring in the beer!!!
> Last year I asked for an orange juice instead<g>
>

>> Oh, by the by, Graham -- I just received my book, "Bread" yesterday -
>>

> Is that the Collister book?> Graham

"Bread" - Artisan Breads from Baguettes and Bagels to Focaccia and Brioche,
by Eric Treuille & Ursula Ferrigno
ISBN 0-7566-0370-6

Dee

Eric Jorgensen

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:51:04 GMT
"graham" > wrote:

> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
> >
> > "graham" > wrote in message
> > newsWuZd.682059$Xk.607160@pd7tw3no...
> >>
> >> "floydm" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...

> > My recipe doesn't show green coloring, Graham.

> On St.P's day, the bars around here put green food coloring in the
> beer!!! Last year I asked for an orange juice instead<g>

Heck, in Chicago they dye the river.
graham

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:51:04 GMT
> "graham" > wrote:
>

>> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "graham" > wrote in message
>> > newsWuZd.682059$Xk.607160@pd7tw3no...

>> > My recipe doesn't show green coloring, Graham.

>> On St.P's day, the bars around here put green food coloring in the
>> beer!!! Last year I asked for an orange juice instead<g>

> Heck, in Chicago they dye the river.

You mean it's not its natural color?<g>
Graham

graham

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> "graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "graham" > wrote in message
>>> newsWuZd.682059$Xk.607160@pd7tw3no...

>>> My recipe doesn't show green coloring, Graham.

>> On St.P's day, the bars around here put green food coloring in the
>> beer!!! Last year I asked for an orange juice instead<g>
>>

>>> Oh, by the by, Graham -- I just received my book, "Bread" yesterday -
>>>

>> Is that the Collister book?> Graham

> "Bread" - Artisan Breads from Baguettes and Bagels to Focaccia and
> Brioche,
> by Eric Treuille & Ursula Ferrigno
> ISBN 0-7566-0370-6
>
> Dee

Sorry Dee, I'd forgotten. They took their time to deliver it, didn't they?
Graham

Dee Randall

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
>>
>> "graham" > wrote in message

>>> On St.P's day, the bars around here put green food coloring in the
>>> beer!!! Last year I asked for an orange juice instead<g>

>>> Is that the Collister book?> Graham

>> "Bread" - Artisan Breads from Baguettes and Bagels to Focaccia and
>> Brioche,
>> by Eric Treuille & Ursula Ferrigno
>> ISBN 0-7566-0370-6
>>
>> Dee

> Sorry Dee, I'd forgotten. They took their time to deliver it, didn't
> they?
> Graham

Feb. 12 I ordered from amazon.com 3 things, a coffee pot, which they
promptly delivered, but they said the book and a telephone would not to
arrive until March 23-28. No explanation. So, actually I got it a week
early -- tee hee!
The box actually was an amazon.com box -- go figure!
Dee

Irish Soda Bread MummyChunk General Cooking 4 12-03-2014 03:05 AM
Irish Soda Bread Janet Wilder Recipes (moderated) 0 12-03-2006 08:46 AM
Irish Soda Bread 2 Tim Recipes 0 16-06-2005 02:08 PM
Irish Soda Bread Tim Recipes 0 16-06-2005 02:07 PM
Irish Soda Bread Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 10-08-2004 12:07 PM