Amela59

Default oil question

I've always wondered if the following are interchangable in recipes. Can
anyone enlighten me?
Vegetable oil, canola oil, and corn oil
Thanks
Amy
Vox Humana

"Amela59" > wrote in message
> I've always wondered if the following are interchangable in recipes. Can
> anyone enlighten me?
> Vegetable oil, canola oil, and corn oil
> Thanks
> Amy

Yes, they are interchangeable. The only difference would be flavor. They
are all technically vegetable oils.

Eric Jorgensen

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:19:08 -0400
Jenn Ridley > wrote:

> Olive oil, sesame oil, and walnut oil are not interchangeable with the
> other vegetable oils. Technically, peanut oil is interchangeable, but
> there are problems with peanut oil (rampant peanut allergies, which
> can be triggered by baked goods with peanut oil in them, for one).

There have been some recent studies that have failed to show a link
between commercially refined peanut oil and allergic reactions. Which
would make sense, because most allergies are protein related, and a
properly refined oil would have next to no protein in it.

- Eric
Jenn Ridley

Eric Jorgensen > wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:19:08 -0400
>Jenn Ridley > wrote:
>
>> Olive oil, sesame oil, and walnut oil are not interchangeable with the
>> other vegetable oils. Technically, peanut oil is interchangeable, but
>> there are problems with peanut oil (rampant peanut allergies, which
>> can be triggered by baked goods with peanut oil in them, for one).

> There have been some recent studies that have failed to show a link
>between commercially refined peanut oil and allergic reactions. Which
>would make sense, because most allergies are protein related, and a
>properly refined oil would have next to no protein in it.

Whatever. It's just something to be aware of, since there are hyper
sensitive people out there who freak out at the *sound* of the word
peanut. It's just easier to not use it. (there was a case a few
years ago of a peanut allergic kid having a reaction to some french
fries....the only thing they could find was the peanut oil that the
fries were cooked in.)

It doesn't matter to me, since a) I don't have peanut oil in my house
(peanut butter, yes; peanuts, yes, but no oil); and b) no one in my
house is allergic to peanuts.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

Amela59

Thanks so much. I've been guiltily substituting canola oil thinking I was
affecting the final product. Now my mind rests easy......
Amy

>snip
>yes, they are interchangeable.
>Soybean oil and safflower oil can also be used interchangeably with
>vegetable/canola/corn oil (which is usually a blend of corn oil and
>whatever else is available at the time).
>
>Canola oil is 'lighter' than the others, but it usually doesn't matter
>which one you use. Some are more suitable for deep frying than
>others, but for baking and pan frying, it usually doesn't matter.
>
>Olive oil, sesame oil, and walnut oil are not interchangeable with the
>other vegetable oils. Technically, peanut oil is interchangeable, but
>there are problems with peanut oil (rampant peanut allergies, which
>can be triggered by baked goods with peanut oil in them, for one).
>
>jenn
>--
>Jenn Ridley

barry

Here's a link to the FDA proposal on Canola oil.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00198.html

It appears that canola oil, aka rapeseed oil, wasn't safe for use due to the
high erucic acid content. Then, the Canadians genetically modified,
selectively bred, the rape plant to lower the erucic acid content so that
now, as the FDA says, it is generally recognized as safe.

Barry