Default smelly yeast

I have been using Fleischmans dry yeast and have been satisfied except
it costs about $7 for a 4 oz. jar.

I recently found some Red Star dry yeast for only 1/16 as much cost! It
comes in a 1 pound package which costs $1.88.

I did a test making two small quantities of bread dough using Red Star
yeast in one sample and Fleischmans in the other. All measurements were
the same.

Both finished loaves looked the same and tasted the same. But, the Red
Star yeast stinks when you smell it in its jar as compared to the
Fleischmans. It also stinks up the house when I bake with it. It is not
pleasant at all to make bread with the Red Star due to its stink even
though the breads taste the same.

The expiration date on the stinky yeast is Sept. 2005, and was bought
at a warehouse type store.
The expiration date on the Fleischmans is Oct. 2006, and was bought at
a local grocery store.

Is this normal? Is it due to the age of the yeast? Like I mentioned,
both brands do the same job with making dough, with the recipe I am
using.

Greg

RsH

No, it is not normal, and suggests that the Red Star was subjected to
excess heat while in storage or transport somewhere, or is a bad
batch. All of the bread type yeasts are the same basic yeast, and all
have just about an identical odour if kept dry and in the proper
temperature range.

I buy mine in a vacuum packed 1 pound package [Fleishmann's] and keep
it in the freezer when I've opened a package. I pay Cdn$4.50 for a
pound package, but then this is Canada... and I have NOT seen a 2
pound package of ANY brand of yeast. But they never smell bad or fill
the condo with the smell of yeast.

RsH
On 2 Mar 2005 17:50:47 -0800, wrote:

>Both finished loaves looked the same and tasted the same. But, the Red
>Star yeast stinks when you smell it in its jar as compared to the
>Fleischmans. It also stinks up the house when I bake with it. It is not
>pleasant at all to make bread with the Red Star due to its stink even
>though the breads taste the same.
>
>The expiration date on the stinky yeast is Sept. 2005, and was bought
>at a warehouse type store.
>The expiration date on the Fleischmans is Oct. 2006, and was bought at
>a local grocery store.
>
>Is this normal? Is it due to the age of the yeast? Like I mentioned,
>both brands do the same job with making dough, with the recipe I am
>using.
>
>Greg

Copyright retained. My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!
Vox Humana

"RsH" > wrote in message
> No, it is not normal, and suggests that the Red Star was subjected to
> excess heat while in storage or transport somewhere, or is a bad
> batch. All of the bread type yeasts are the same basic yeast, and all
> have just about an identical odour if kept dry and in the proper
> temperature range.
>
> I buy mine in a vacuum packed 1 pound package [Fleishmann's] and keep
> it in the freezer when I've opened a package. I pay Cdn$4.50 for a
> pound package, but then this is Canada... and I have NOT seen a 2
> pound package of ANY brand of yeast. But they never smell bad or fill
> the condo with the smell of yeast.

My Costco store sells 2 pound bricks of Red Star Yeast.

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I have been using Fleischmans dry yeast and have been satisfied except
> it costs about $7 for a 4 oz. jar.
>
> I recently found some Red Star dry yeast for only 1/16 as much cost! It
> comes in a 1 pound package which costs $1.88.
>
> I did a test making two small quantities of bread dough using Red Star
> yeast in one sample and Fleischmans in the other. All measurements were
> the same.
>
> Both finished loaves looked the same and tasted the same. But, the Red
> Star yeast stinks when you smell it in its jar as compared to the
> Fleischmans. It also stinks up the house when I bake with it. It is not
> pleasant at all to make bread with the Red Star due to its stink even
> though the breads taste the same.
>
> The expiration date on the stinky yeast is Sept. 2005, and was bought
> at a warehouse type store.
> The expiration date on the Fleischmans is Oct. 2006, and was bought at
> a local grocery store.
>
> Is this normal? Is it due to the age of the yeast? Like I mentioned,
> both brands do the same job with making dough, with the recipe I am
> using.

Some people think that Freshman's yeast is stinky. Maybe you just have a
preference for one over the other. Cooks Illustrated did a comparison of
yeasts a couple years ago and they concluded that Freshman's had an odd
flavor. Their preference was for Red Star or SAF. I find SAF instant the
most satisfactory both in terms of action and flavor. I think that SAF has
the most neutral flavor of the three. If you really think that the yeast is
bad, take it back and get a new package from a different lot. I also buy
the one or two pound packages from Sam's, Costco, or GFS Marketplace. I
prefer to get SAF in the one pound package from GFS. It takes me about 9
months to use a pound, and it is always fresh as opposed to buying a two
pound pack or two one-pound packs that have been wrapped as one item.

Eric Jorgensen

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:12:29 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> Marketplace. I prefer to get SAF in the one pound package from GFS. It
> takes me about 9 months to use a pound, and it is always fresh as opposed
> to buying a two pound pack or two one-pound packs that have been wrapped
> as one item.

Said it before, but saying it again in case anyone is wary of that one
pound package of SAF Instant: It can last a very long time past it's pull
date.

I don't bake yeasted doughs as often as I'd like to, so i have it around
for a long, long time. In 2002 one of my sisters gave me an unopened 1
pound package of SAF Instant that expired in 2001. It went straight into an
airtight glass container in the freezer. It's 2005 now and I'm down to the
last 4 ounces or so, and it's still working just fine.

RsH

I have been unable to locate either SAF or Red Star in the Toronto
area, and find Fleishmann's vacuum packed just fine.

I have even looked in stores that once upon a time did carry those
brands, like Highland Farms, and they have switched to Fleishmann's.

I wrote to SAF and they reported that they do not sell in Canada under
that name, and the name they supplied I also cannot locate anywhere in
a retail package. They may sell to bakeries, but that does me no good.

As for Cooks Illustrated, they did not compare Canadian yeasts, so
their test is useless to me. Any test of a US product is often
pointless to Canadians since the formulation changes when the same
product crosses the border. That applies to ketchup from Heinz, baked
beans, laundry detergents, etc. Since the two countries have
different regulations and laws AND tastes, something tested in the US
often is different in Canada, even under the same name, and even if
made in the US for export to Canada.

I agree about the 1 pound [454 gram] package, incidentally, as it make
for 4 of the 4 ounce or 113 gram jars that I keep in the fridge, and
the rest stays in the freezer, vacuum packed (I have a vacuum packer
at home)... so no smell in any event, from the dried stuff.

RsH

wrote:

>Some people think that Freshman's yeast is stinky. Maybe you just have a
>preference for one over the other. Cooks Illustrated did a comparison of
>yeasts a couple years ago and they concluded that Freshman's had an odd
>flavor. Their preference was for Red Star or SAF. I find SAF instant the
>most satisfactory both in terms of action and flavor. I think that SAF has
>the most neutral flavor of the three. If you really think that the yeast is
>bad, take it back and get a new package from a different lot. I also buy
>the one or two pound packages from Sam's, Costco, or GFS Marketplace. I
>prefer to get SAF in the one pound package from GFS. It takes me about 9
>months to use a pound, and it is always fresh as opposed to buying a two
>pound pack or two one-pound packs that have been wrapped as one item.

Copyright retained. My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!
Peggy

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I have been using Fleischmans dry yeast and have been satisfied except
> it costs about $7 for a 4 oz. jar.
>
> I recently found some Red Star dry yeast for only 1/16 as much cost! It
> comes in a 1 pound package which costs $1.88.
>
> I did a test making two small quantities of bread dough using Red Star
> yeast in one sample and Fleischmans in the other. All measurements were
> the same.
>
> Both finished loaves looked the same and tasted the same. But, the Red
> Star yeast stinks when you smell it in its jar as compared to the
> Fleischmans. It also stinks up the house when I bake with it. It is not
> pleasant at all to make bread with the Red Star due to its stink even
> though the breads taste the same.
>
> The expiration date on the stinky yeast is Sept. 2005, and was bought
> at a warehouse type store.
> The expiration date on the Fleischmans is Oct. 2006, and was bought at
> a local grocery store.
>
> Is this normal? Is it due to the age of the yeast? Like I mentioned,
> both brands do the same job with making dough, with the recipe I am
> using.
>
> Greg

This whole thread reminds me of the "smelly cat" song from Friends that
Phoebe would sing. Just change "cat" to "yeast" and you've got a great song
for this thread:
"Smelly yeast, smelly yeast, it's not your fault..." D
~Peggy

Vox Humana

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:12:29 GMT
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>
> > Marketplace. I prefer to get SAF in the one pound package from GFS. It
> > takes me about 9 months to use a pound, and it is always fresh as

opposed
> > to buying a two pound pack or two one-pound packs that have been wrapped
> > as one item.

> Said it before, but saying it again in case anyone is wary of that one
> pound package of SAF Instant: It can last a very long time past it's pull
> date.
>
> I don't bake yeasted doughs as often as I'd like to, so i have it

around
> for a long, long time. In 2002 one of my sisters gave me an unopened 1
> pound package of SAF Instant that expired in 2001. It went straight into

an
> airtight glass container in the freezer. It's 2005 now and I'm down to the
> last 4 ounces or so, and it's still working just fine.

For me, getting the one pound package at GFS is a no-brainer since the price
per pound is the same. That way I don't have to deal with two pounds of
yeast at a time.

:> I have been using Fleischmans dry yeast and have been satisfied except
:> it costs about $7 for a 4 oz. jar.
:>
[...]

I've never heard of Freshman's yeast - I've never seen it in any stores.
Fleischmans and Red Star are about the only choices.
MOMPEAGRAM

> wrote in message
>:> I have been using Fleischmans dry yeast and have been satisfied except
> :> it costs about $7 for a 4 oz. jar.
> :>
> :> I recently found some Red Star dry yeast for only 1/16 as much cost! It
> :> comes in a 1 pound package which costs $1.88.
> :>
> :> I did a test making two small quantities of bread dough using Red Star
> :> yeast in one sample and Fleischmans in the other. All measurements were
> :> the same.
> :>
> :> Both finished loaves looked the same and tasted the same. But, the Red
> :> Star yeast stinks when you smell it in its jar as compared to the
> :> Fleischmans. It also stinks up the house when I bake with it. It is not
> :> pleasant at all to make bread with the Red Star due to its stink even
> :> though the breads taste the same.
> :>
> :> The expiration date on the stinky yeast is Sept. 2005, and was bought
> :> at a warehouse type store.
> :> The expiration date on the Fleischmans is Oct. 2006, and was bought at
> :> a local grocery store.
> :>
> :> Is this normal? Is it due to the age of the yeast? Like I mentioned,
> :> both brands do the same job with making dough, with the recipe I am
> :> using.
>
> : Some people think that Freshman's yeast is stinky. Maybe you just have
>

> I've never heard of Freshman's yeast - I've never seen it in any stores.
> Fleischmans and Red Star are about the only choices.

i think Freshman's was a play on Fleischman's.

Vox Humana

"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message
news:1109891445.ffaf67890120822e691aba0c85c95676@t eranews...

> > wrote in message
> >:> I have been using Fleischmans dry yeast and have been satisfied except
> > :> it costs about $7 for a 4 oz. jar.
> > :>
> > :> I recently found some Red Star dry yeast for only 1/16 as much cost!

It
> > :> comes in a 1 pound package which costs $1.88.
> > :>
> > :> I did a test making two small quantities of bread dough using Red

Star
> > :> yeast in one sample and Fleischmans in the other. All measurements

were
> > :> the same.
> > :>
> > :> Both finished loaves looked the same and tasted the same. But, the

Red
> > :> Star yeast stinks when you smell it in its jar as compared to the
> > :> Fleischmans. It also stinks up the house when I bake with it. It is

not
> > :> pleasant at all to make bread with the Red Star due to its stink even
> > :> though the breads taste the same.
> > :>
> > :> The expiration date on the stinky yeast is Sept. 2005, and was bought
> > :> at a warehouse type store.
> > :> The expiration date on the Fleischmans is Oct. 2006, and was bought

at
> > :> a local grocery store.
> > :>
> > :> Is this normal? Is it due to the age of the yeast? Like I mentioned,
> > :> both brands do the same job with making dough, with the recipe I am
> > :> using.
> >
> > : Some people think that Freshman's yeast is stinky. Maybe you just

have

> > I've never heard of Freshman's yeast - I've never seen it in any stores.
> > Fleischmans and Red Star are about the only choices.

> i think Freshman's was a play on Fleischman's.

No. It was just the work of my evil spell checker.

Smelly chocolate Christopher M.[_2_] General Cooking 8 20-02-2011 05:56 AM
Smelly Chest Mal from Oz Tea 6 25-03-2007 03:06 AM
smelly yeast [email protected] Baking 0 03-03-2005 01:50 AM
smelly Merlot Sarge Winemaking 11 03-12-2004 12:32 PM
smelly vinegar Joe Ae Winemaking 5 12-03-2004 05:35 PM