Default smelly yeast

I have been using Fleischmans dry yeast and have been satisfied except
it costs about $7 for a 4 oz. jar.

I recently found some Red Star dry yeast for only 1/16 as much cost! It
comes in a 1 pound package which costs $1.88.

I did a test making two small quantities of bread dough using Red Star
yeast in one sample and Fleischmans in the other. All measurements were
the same.

Both finished loaves looked the same and tasted the same. But, the Red
Star yeast stinks when you smell it in its jar as compared to the
Fleischmans. It also stinks up the house when I bake with it. It is not
pleasant at all to make bread with the Red Star due to its stink even
though the breads taste the same.

The expiration date on the stinky yeast is Sept. 2005, and was bought
at a warehouse type store.
The expiration date on the Fleischmans is Oct. 2006, and was bought at
a local grocery store.

Is this normal? Is it due to the age of the yeast? Like I mentioned,
both brands do the same job with making dough, with the recipe I am
using.

Greg

Smelly chocolate Christopher M.[_2_] General Cooking 8 20-02-2011 05:56 AM
Smelly Chest Mal from Oz Tea 6 25-03-2007 03:06 AM
smelly yeast [email protected] Baking 10 04-03-2005 12:47 AM
smelly Merlot Sarge Winemaking 11 03-12-2004 12:32 PM
smelly vinegar Joe Ae Winemaking 5 12-03-2004 05:35 PM